Jesse Marsch

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Post Reply
Mountain
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2285
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:20 am

Re: Jesse Marsch- RUMOUR

Post by Mountain »

Anonymous wrote: ↑Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:36 am Looks like a f**king clown to me.
As long as he doesn't turn up in shorts and a sombrero...
SG90
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 23126
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Jesse Marsch- RUMOUR

Post by SG90 »

weasel wrote: ↑Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:40 am Christiansen was managing in the Champions League too. There are many managers managing teams in minor leagues that get to the Champions League. There isn't a lot to get excited about by Marsch but hopefully he will do wonders for us.
Europa League
danhirons
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3881
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:21 pm

Re: Jesse Marsch- RUMOUR

Post by danhirons »

SG90 wrote: ↑Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:14 am In a way we're lucky to get Marsch in the position we're in. Most clubs down the bottom appoint dinosaurs like Pulis and Allardyce, we're getting someone who was managing in the UCL a couple of months ago.
:clap:

I'm sure the fickle fans will stop complaining about him being American and start calling him Leeds if results pick up under him
SG90
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 23126
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Jesse Marsch- RUMOUR

Post by SG90 »

Anonymous wrote: ↑Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:36 am Looks like a f**king clown to me.
We get it, no one will ever compare to the deity Marcelo Bielsa. Maybe go and support Newell's Old Boys instead?
SG90
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 23126
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Jesse Marsch- RUMOUR

Post by SG90 »

danhirons wrote: ↑Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:04 pm :clap:

I'm sure the fickle fans will stop complaining about him being American and start calling him Leeds if results pick up under him
Guarantee if he was German or Spanish, most of the disrespect would disappear.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 23126
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Jesse Marsch- RUMOUR

Post by SG90 »

It seems Marsch's main problem at Leipzig, was that Nagelsmann changed the style and Marsch tried to change it back to the "Red Bull style", but the players refused to go back. Seems like it'll be easier for him here.
User avatar
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 6571
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:02 am

Re: Jesse Marsch- RUMOUR

Post by BGwhite »

Did we know Bielsa when he arrived ? Had he won anything previously ? No and no. In 6 weeks he transformed a team of no-hopers into the divisions best . He's laid a very good foundation for Marsch so I think he needs backing before being slated .

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

SG90
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 23126
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Jesse Marsch- RUMOUR

Post by SG90 »

BGwhite wrote: ↑Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:21 pm Did we know Bielsa when he arrived ? Had he won anything previously ? No and no. In 6 weeks he transformed a team of no-hopers into the divisions best . He's laid a very good foundation for Marsch so I think he needs backing before being slated .

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk
A lot of Leeds wanted Mick McCarthy instead because he "knew the league"! 🙈
User avatar
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 41698
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:01 pm

Re: Jesse Marsch- RUMOUR

Post by Cjay »

Far far from convinced by Jesse Marsch.

He needs to hit the ground running, no honeymoon period because we don't have the games left and the fan base will turn very quickly.

The fact I've read many comments from previous clubs fans complaining he is 1 dimensional (no alternative way if playing) and can't organise a defence (something we desperately need) it concerns me greatly.

We will not survive by outscoring the opposition, if that is what he tries to do then we will be down by April.

I worry that his style is far to open and will be easily exposed by better players as Salzburg were in the Champions League when he was in charge conceding 30 goals in 12 games against teams with better players much like us in the Premier League.

I worry that his pressing and high intensity style will be to much for an already exhausted looking squad who have shown signs of fatigue for a long time.

I worry that I don't think this squad can adapt to a new style instantly and we will look disjointed.


I worry that he is a puppet for the venture capitalists.

I worry that his only success is at Red Bull Salzburg who had won 10 of the previous 14 League titles including 6 in a row before he arrived, they are the equivalent of PSG in Austria, far richer with far better players than everyone else.

I worry even more because his points totals for Salzburg were lower than the 3 seasons previous before he arrived and he doesn't even get a great right up from Salzburg fans despite winning trophies, he isn't seen as a good coach by them.

I worry that his entire career was manufactured from when he managed to get on the Red Bull gravy train and ultimately he was fired when he got his only challenging job at Leipzig.

I worry that he is far to inexperienced and unproven for a job of this magnitude and is vastly under qualified to take the pressure of a relegation battle and replacing a club icon.

I worry that he has no experience of Premier league football.

For me Jesse Marsch is the ultimate gamble and basically nightmare scenario, an unproven coach whose style has only worked against far weaker opposition in a league where he had all the advantages.

That being said he will have my full support because what choice do we have.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
User avatar
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 6571
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:02 am

Re: Jesse Marsch- RUMOUR

Post by BGwhite »

The main thing is cjay...don't worry! Its not your problem to solve. It will all come out in the wash. Yes I believe this is the start of the American takeover but there's jack we can do about it. Let them carry on and if they screw up then that's their problem.

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 78995
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Jesse Marsch- RUMOUR

Post by The Subhuman »

I'm happy to wait and see, my problem not with the appointment but the timing. I don't see a dead cat bounce happening, we're not that lucky and the change of tactics may have us in an adjustment period for too long in a diminishing season. All managers need time to put in place their own philosophy

We're about to get a break with the fixtures, still in good position and I don't give a s**t if it's a 5-0 loss or a 1-0 loss makes no odds to me. Marcelo would have gotten us to safety I'm sure based on upcoming fixtures and out playing everyone recently bar Liverpool and Spuds and both of those had massive chunks of luck..

By the way the last 9 league cups have been won by a big 5 club probably playing their reserves for the most part ... This century only Wigan, Leicester and Portsmouth have won the FA outside the big 5. For the most part the big 5 kinda have a grip on all the competitions. In the last 9 years only Leicester have taken top trophies, the big 5 have won the other 25.

Almost zero chance of winning any trophy for us going forward.
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 41698
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:01 pm

Re: Jesse Marsch- RUMOUR

Post by Cjay »

BGwhite wrote: ↑Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:48 pm The main thing is cjay...don't worry! Its not your problem to solve. It will all come out in the wash. Yes I believe this is the start of the American takeover but there's jack we can do about it. Let them carry on and if they screw up then that's their problem.

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk
Very true.

I don't lose any sleep over it obviously :)

But it worries me more than say what am I going to have for tea.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
User avatar
weasel
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19693
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet

Re: Jesse Marsch- RUMOUR

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: ↑Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:38 pm Far far from convinced by Jesse Marsch.

He needs to hit the ground running, no honeymoon period because we don't have the games left and the fan base will turn very quickly.

The fact I've read many comments from previous clubs fans complaining he is 1 dimensional (no alternative way if playing) and can't organise a defence (something we desperately need) it concerns me greatly.

We will not survive by outscoring the opposition, if that is what he tries to do then we will be down by April.

I worry that his style is far to open and will be easily exposed by better players as Salzburg were in the Champions League when he was in charge conceding 30 goals in 12 games against teams with better players much like us in the Premier League.

I worry that his pressing and high intensity style will be to much for an already exhausted looking squad who have shown signs of fatigue for a long time.

I worry that I don't think this squad can adapt to a new style instantly and we will look disjointed.


I worry that he is a puppet for the venture capitalists.

I worry that his only success is at Red Bull Salzburg who had won 10 of the previous 14 League titles including 6 in a row before he arrived, they are the equivalent of PSG in Austria, far richer with far better players than everyone else.

I worry even more because his points totals for Salzburg were lower than the 3 seasons previous before he arrived and he doesn't even get a great right up from Salzburg fans despite winning trophies, he isn't seen as a good coach by them.

I worry that his entire career was manufactured from when he managed to get on the Red Bull gravy train and ultimately he was fired when he got his only challenging job at Leipzig.

I worry that he is far to inexperienced and unproven for a job of this magnitude and is vastly under qualified to take the pressure of a relegation battle and replacing a club icon.

I worry that he has no experience of Premier league football.

For me Jesse Marsch is the ultimate gamble and basically nightmare scenario, an unproven coach whose style has only worked against far weaker opposition in a league where he had all the advantages.

That being said he will have my full support because what choice do we have.
Well said Cjay. The worry isn't that he is American, or comes accross as a bit of a clown to some, but that his record isn't particularly impressive. At the clubs where he won titles the team were still conceding at over a goal per game which is unusual for title winning teams.

It is hard to know whether what he did in Austria was overachieving or underachieving given their previous, and continued, dominance. It may be that they sold their best players prior to him arriving and as such he did brilliantly to carry on their dominance, despite a lower points total, or it may be that he took a team that was doing great and carried on winning despite them not being as great.

At New York it is hard to really know. I would expect NY had the biggest, or one of the biggest, wage salaries so would have had some of the best players in the league. Whether they were favourites or not to win the league I don't know, maybe one of our american fans will know more. His record prior to that at Montreal Impact certainly looks less impressive but it may be that they were the worst team and he improved them. A lot of unknowns really.

His record in Germany is the biggest concern though. Sacked after 14 games I think. That to me suggests that there may have been friction between himself and the players. I think chairman obviously look at the results first but if the results are bad and the team doesn't look like they are giving their all then that is when they pull the trigger quickly rather than giving the manager a bit more time to try to work it round.
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 17, 2025 4:23 pm I've pretended to support a team that's been crap for most of my life as part of a long term plan
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
User avatar
weasel
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19693
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet

Re: Jesse Marsch- RUMOUR

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: ↑Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:38 pm For me Jesse Marsch is the ultimate gamble and basically nightmare scenario, an unproven coach whose style has only worked against far weaker opposition in a league where he had all the advantages.
Marcello Bielsa made me believe we could win against stronger opposition and did at times last season. The gap was immense and Bielsa closed it. We still weren't likely to beat the big teams last season, even with our strongest team and this season with the injuries the gap widened.

Like Faaip shows 25 of the last 27 major trophies have been won by the top 5 teams. Bielsa gave me hope that we could compete. We would never compete financially but the teamwork, the gameplan, the anticipation, the non stop running etc provided the hope.

I'm not going to lie and say some of the sh*t results didn't happen but the future was rosy, as long as we survived. The team needed its big player to be avialable and it needed gradual improvement but I could see us closing and closing that gap.

Where we go now I really have no clue. Hopefully whoever comes in can build on the foundations, can get that bit of luck with less injuries etc and can do what the likes of Valverde did and take something made strong by Bielsa and keep it going.
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 17, 2025 4:23 pm I've pretended to support a team that's been crap for most of my life as part of a long term plan
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 78995
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Jesse Marsch- RUMOUR

Post by The Subhuman »

Anonymous wrote: ↑Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:15 pm He's got 12 games. If he fails, then we're back to square one and all Bielsa's good work has been undone.
Agreed ...
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
SG90
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 23126
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Jesse Marsch- RUMOUR

Post by SG90 »

Anonymous wrote: ↑Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:15 pm He's got 12 games. If he fails, then we're back to square one and all Bielsa's good work has been undone.
We were going down under Bielsa.
danhirons
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3881
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:21 pm

Re: Jesse Marsch- RUMOUR

Post by danhirons »

Anonymous wrote: ↑Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:15 pm He's got 12 games. If he fails, then we're back to square one and all Bielsa's good work has been undone.
Bielsa undid most of his own good work himself this season.

Although the appointment in general I agree is a total gamble
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 78995
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Jesse Marsch- RUMOUR

Post by The Subhuman »

Marcelo wasn't the "chosen one" ...he was just "the One"
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
SG90
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 23126
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Jesse Marsch- RUMOUR

Post by SG90 »

Anonymous wrote: ↑Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:26 pm I don't think so, and now we'll never know. Going down without him will be worse though, I'm sure of that.
Not really. He would've been remembered as the man who relegated Leeds, now his legacy will be protected a bit more as Marsch would have relegation on his CV and we'll be told 'Bielsa would've saved them'.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 23126
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Jesse Marsch- RUMOUR

Post by SG90 »

:lol: :lol:
Post Reply