Jesse Marsch

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Post Reply
User avatar
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 6571
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:02 am

Re: Jesse Marsch- RUMOUR - Confirmed

Post by BGwhite »

Thought he was a tennis player.

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

Overman
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3324
Joined: Wed May 15, 2019 11:04 pm

Re: Jesse Marsch Fact

Post by Overman »

:sleep:
Kennyb41 wrote: ↑Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:49 am Oh jeez yes, i'd love to see him back in the prem where he belongs and to stick it right up all the Leeds fans that were asking for him to be given the boot, i really don't think he will though, it broke his heart here coz this was his baby and he had big plans for us, he wanted to stick it right up the managers that spend gazillions, and he's not a money money money man, he loved the Dales, the people and this project was his swansong, we'll never see his likes again.
User avatar
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 22394
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:02 pm
Location: Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Re: Jesse Marsch Fact

Post by White Riot »

BGwhite wrote: ↑Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:57 am At least they'd have the saw dust to soak up the puddles ImageImage

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk
And the tears ;-)
User avatar
mentalcase
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 10414
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:19 pm

Re: Jesse Marsch Fact

Post by mentalcase »

Clacton White wrote: ↑Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:52 pm Unfortunately it's the way the game is going ......or gone .As Sarahm said football has lost its soul , but you can't do anything about it .......how many top sides are locally or even British owned now ? I can't think of any . I am not keen on modern America I guess but look at Russia , far far worse and they have their grubby hands on Englands nastiest club (imo) .You have Arab owners , American , Russian , Chinese .......Leeds may be unusual in even being owned by Europeans right now . It's how the game is going and we won't change it .......I think it only gets worse from here on . Let's see how things pan out from here .........I do think Radz and Orta have gone as far as they can .They have been found wanting this season .....badly , they let Bielsa down as much as he has let fans down , if not more 🤔
Odd that, especailly hearing from MB himself stating he didn't want any additions.
Someone is telling porkies.
" Man is not affected by events but by the view he takes of them "
User avatar
Kennyb41
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 12426
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:15 am

Re: Jesse Marsch Fact.

Post by Kennyb41 »

Overman wrote: ↑Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:26 pm I wish Jesse all the best and he came across really well in the interview. To put it mildly, he's got an incredibly tough job to keep us up and having to deal with the mess Bielsa left behind.
Why ?

We're 5th bottom having played some of our toughest games, the ex coach hands over the uninjured players at peak fitness, what is so hard for the incoming?

:duno:
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek: ...That Ayling goal and "You couldn't script it :lol: " - Dirty Leeds B@stard.
Must dash.
;@)
User avatar
Tyzy
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4216
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:09 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Jesse Marsch Fact

Post by Tyzy »

City,Arsenal and Chelsea ,3 other London clubs where traditionally we don't do well plus Southampton and Wolves .Tough run in imo
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155360
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Jesse Marsch Fact

Post by 1964white »

'I had never trained that hard before in my LIFE': Stars open up on what it's like to work under Jesse Marsch as they insist new Leeds boss will give lots of hugs and expect lots of running... but will NOT be rely on man-to-man marking like Bielsa

If Leeds players thought they could finally catch their breath after four brutal years under Marcelo Bielsa, wait until they find out what their new manager has in store.

‘He loved us to do the running first,’ says Lloyd Sam the former Leeds and Charlton winger, who played under new Whites boss Jesse Marsch at New York Red Bulls. ‘He was not opposed to playing, but the first thing was you had to be able to run.’

Running, of course, is something Leeds stars have become rather accustomed to since 2018. Bielsa built a running track around their Thorp Arch training complex and famously put on ‘murderball’ matches, where the ball was continuously in play and players would have to sprint back to designated cones.

‘He doesn’t want anything but hard work,’ confirms ex-England winger Shaun Wright-Phillips, who also worked with Marsch in New York. ‘I had never trained that hard before in my life. There will be a lot of running involved.’
As well as cracking the whip in training, Bielsa was known for the exhaustive way he prepared for games and analysed opponents. That spilled over with the Spy-gate saga of 2019, when he sent a staff member to watch Derby train. But while his Leeds successor Marsch may not possess bolt cutters, he does share the same obsessive attention to detail.

‘He leaves no stone unturned when going into a game,’ Sam, 37, tells Sportsmail. ‘He has a very, very high attention to detail about every little moment.’

Marsch admits himself that his style of play is similar to Bielsa’s high-press, high-tempo approach. Indeed, that continuity is a big reason why Leeds have appointed the American. But crucially, there will be differences defensively, with Marsch ditching the much-maligned man-to-man marking favoured by his predecessor.

‘His press is pretty similar to Bielsa’s, but he just doesn’t allow for his players to do the man-to-man part, where they end up vacating certain areas of the pitch and leaving big gaps which can be exploited,’ adds Wright-Phillips.
Emphasis will also be placed on defending set-pieces, something which was a huge problem for Leeds throughout Bielsa’s reign.

Last season, they conceded 15 goals from set-pieces, the most in the Premier League, and this term they have already let in 13 from dead-ball situations, another League high.
Players can also expect to spend time learning new and unorthodox attacking routines, which Marsch became known for during his early years in the MLS. ‘I remember doing a lot of work on set-pieces,’ says Chelsea centre half Matt Miazga, another former New York Red Bulls player.

‘He would take a couple of guys who were expected to play and show us a few set-pieces that he had in mind so we could wrap our head around it. We would train them on the side against no opposition just to get the movements.

‘The day before the game when we would be doing 11 v 11, we would do it against the players who were not starting. It would consistently work in games.’


Perhaps one of the first differences Leeds players will notice is that they suddenly have an arm around their shoulder.

Bielsa enjoyed a great relationship with his squad, as was evident by their tributes on social media following his sacking, but he was sure to keep a professional distance from them. The opposite, though, is true of Marsch, with pictures released by the club this week already showing him hugging his new workforce.

‘I haven’t had a coach who has been this close to us,’ RB Leipzig centre half Willi Orban said about his then manager last year. ‘He says to us, “Boys, your problems are my problems”. That gives you a tremendous feeling. For a coach like that, you walk through fire.’

Even Borussia Dortmund superstar Erling Haaland, who played under Marsch at Red Bull Salzburg, commented: ‘Jesse and I had a great relationship. We still talk on the phone sometimes. I am lucky to have got to know him as a coach, but also as a person. He is an amazing guy.’

Marsch, then, is certainly no ‘El Loco’ — the nickname given to Bielsa, meaning ‘the crazy one’. But he is also no shrinking violent and is capable of rousing a dressing room with a stirring speech.

‘He was a passionate personality,’ recalls Miazga. ‘Passionate about the team, about the way we were playing, about results.

‘He was not really fiery in terms of going after players or singling people out. It was more his motivational side and giving good speeches and firing the guys up and encouraging them.’

With no win in six games, Leeds players need all the encouragement they can get.
VinnysTattoo
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1009
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:55 pm

Re: Jesse Marsch - Good comments from some of his ex-players.

Post by VinnysTattoo »

Some encouraging stuff there

Looking forward to Leicester in a strange way. If MB was still at the helm I certainly wouldn’t be, sad to say.
Aussieleeds
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 573
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:53 am

Re: Jesse Marsch Fact

Post by Aussieleeds »

Johnboy1965 wrote: ↑Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:57 pm Good article that weasel.
Like you say not too dissimilar to Bielsaball …
Bielsaball with the occasional bit of defending would be just the thing.👍
WhiteRose
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3693
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:24 pm

Re: Jesse Marsch - Good comments from some of his ex-players.

Post by WhiteRose »

I worry we will still be a bit too open, pressing the ball has its benefits IF we win the ball back high up the pitch, it does of course still leave gaps if the opposition get around it. Still I think The conditioning of the team will really suit the new tactics so not too much of a transition in terms of fitness and attitude- maybe the issue he found at liepzig
User avatar
Orange Box
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 7503
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:51 pm
Location: West of Scotland, formerly Cas Vegas

Re: Jesse Marsch - Good comments from some of his ex-players.

Post by Orange Box »

tbf I bet most people on here had to google Marcelo when he came to see what he had been up to recently. Some might dislike Marsch already for what just happened, but it's not his fault our team capitulated as frequently as they did of late. Let's give the guy a chance.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155360
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Jesse Marsch - Good comments from some of his ex-players.

Post by 1964white »

WhiteRose wrote: ↑Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:57 am I worry we will still be a bit too open, pressing the ball has its benefits IF we win the ball back high up the pitch, it does of course still leave gaps if the opposition get around it. Still I think The conditioning of the team will really suit the new tactics so not too much of a transition in terms of fitness and attitude- maybe the issue he found at liepzig
Surely we can't be more open than we've been this season, particularly of late when the opposition have run us ragged
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155360
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Jesse Marsch - Good comments from some of his ex-players.

Post by 1964white »

Orange Box wrote: ↑Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:01 pm tbf I bet most people on here had to google Marcelo when he came to see what he had been up to recently. Some might dislike Marsch already for what just happened, but it's not his fault our team capitulated as frequently as they did of late. Let's give the guy a chance.
Here here, OB :tup:
User avatar
weasel
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19704
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet

Re: Jesse Marsch - Good comments from some of his ex-players.

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: ↑Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:36 pm Surely we can't be more open than we've been this season, particularly of late when the opposition have run us ragged
I do think it comes down more to players coming back than specific tactics (barring us completely changing tactics ala getting George Graham in). We were fairly tight defensively in the championship and even last year apart from the Man U game we weren't getting cut open like we have been this year. Attack better and we defend better - most of our problems stem from giving the ball away too easily and we then have too many players out of position. I feel this is more of a problem than the so called man marking as when we give the ball away we don't have everyone close enough to the player they are meant to mark. Even with a zonal system if we have committed men forward and lose the ball the players can't all suddenly be back in the right zones etc.
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 17, 2025 4:23 pm I've pretended to support a team that's been crap for most of my life as part of a long term plan
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
User avatar
weasel
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19704
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet

Re: Jesse Marsch - Good comments from some of his ex-players.

Post by weasel »

Orange Box wrote: ↑Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:01 pm tbf I bet most people on here had to google Marcelo when he came to see what he had been up to recently. Some might dislike Marsch already for what just happened, but it's not his fault our team capitulated as frequently as they did of late. Let's give the guy a chance.
I would hope nobody is disliking Marsch just because he is not Marcelo. Looking forward to seeing what Marsch can do and just hoping we continue to improve as a team and continue playing good football.
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 17, 2025 4:23 pm I've pretended to support a team that's been crap for most of my life as part of a long term plan
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
User avatar
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 41746
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:01 pm

Jesse Marsch pre Leicester

Post by Cjay »

Initial assessment of the first week?
Adjustment of tactics first. Style of play moving forward. Video sessions every day and the attention span, you can see excitement to try new things. Investment in the people. That's what I care about the most. I love working with young men and understand how to improve and be the best version of themselves.



Next two and a half years - remit?
I appreciate the club was so convinced by me they were willing to make a long-term commitment. Not looking for the best financial choice or the biggest club, it was finding people who cared about the same things I cared about. After three days, I can say in a very difficult situation it's been a joy.

Project is three months and then know the real development process starts in the summer. Focusing on stuff now is making sure game to game we improve, clearer and clearer to fight for every second.



Leaders stood out?
Cooper and Ayling: easy to see they are comfortable in front of the group. Forshaw fantastic. Bamford has personality. Challenge Phillips to take a bigger and bigger role. Get him healthy. Dallas is one of the hardest workers and strongest young men clear with how he needs to work with the team.

Rodrigo intelligent young man to help in every way. Positive energy in the young guys. I have excitement in the group.



Difficulty of moving this process quicker?
I followed living legends everywhere I've been. Being secure with the fact the predecessors did a lot of things well. Winning mentality here. Staying true to some of his best bits. Don't need to be him, need to be myself. Followed Marcelo's career and respected a lot he did, but clearly I am different with my own ways. Understand they know me and how I work



What will see on Saturday?
What I loved about this team's past is their fight and ability to do what it takes. Needs to remain a part of our DNA. Modify our tactics and understand what we are trying to achieve.

Ethos fits well with club and city. Milwaukee reminds me of what Leeds is. I only know working hard and giving everything I have. That's all I know.



Grella: do not play with fear - same motto here?
Yes, always. Fear to fail equals failure. Style of play is fearless. Have to tap into that fearlessness. Way we play is making mistakes is never a bad thing. Impose our will on the opponent and help the team. Be better than the opponent. I miss Mike Grella and another like Lloyd Sam.



First steps over the threshold here?
Understand what a big job it is. How important it is to the fans and the community here. Followed football history for years. Jacko reminded me I had played against Leeds. Very aware of what this is. Happened very fast. Followed for a few years because of Victor. Enitrely my focus now. Emotional and excited, but just want to channel that energy into things that help the team.



How low was the confidence?
I did not feel it because they are so positive and energetic. United. Been through a lot. My focus is how to channel those energies to make them better. I know there are factions who may not accept me quickly because of Marcelo, but I just want the team to show how good they are



Similar style to Bielsa - allow a quicker impact?
That's why I am here, I think. I did not have the career he had before he came here. Anyone in charge should do a good job on succession plans for staff and players, so the transition from one phase to the next is as smooth as can possibly be.

That's the reason I am here. Believe I can be the right fit.

Relegation battle?
My focus on from day to day. Do I watch the Leicester Burnley game - not true it was just Leicester. Other results have that impact. Most important thing is we control what we can. That's entirely my focus.



Leicester
Rodgers very good coach, flexible, clear playing style. Very good team with Vardy back. Brings a boost. Given Tuesday he will be a big option from the start. Team plays well with and against the ball. Clear match plan we need. Clear on how we make it difficult for them. Very difficult first start, but whatever.



This team need more intensity or less?
They all want to make an impression and go 100 per cent all of the time. Give them chance to grow into what I want them to become. They don't need reinforcement on effort here. They give everything they have.



Missing Saturday?
Patrick needs evaluating. Bench? Close. Diego Llorente not in training today and he is questionable. Kalvin and Liam already spoken. Some others step by step.



Importance of Jackson's continuity within the staff?
All about the type of person he is. Lucky Jacko is so willing and so committed. Here until 9pm last night talking about tactics and what we think needs to change. Been fantastic. Rob Price very helpful in looking at how to deal with the physical situations. Club is so much more than one person. A lot of positive energy here.



Under-23 fringe players caught your eye?
I am just getting started. If you count Joffy and Summerville and Cresswell in that group, then yes, but I know Joffy from watching previous games, but I need to get to know them more and more.



What did your last job teach you about doing things differently?
Leipzig is difficult for me to explain clearly. On paper it was the right move within our company and in theory a similar style, but getting there and getting on the ground a lot had changed. Concerns about implementing what I needed. Those feelings played themselves out. Should say we had corona where everything had fell apart. I was in isolation. Similar mindsets on how want to play, that connection within a club and with the community.



What have you looked at tactically with this team?
Getting away from the man marking. With the ball, use tactics which don't expose us in transition. Without going into every little detail. Intelligent group. They can understand and put into practice.

Told them after training some of the stuff I had done before six months and they did not do it as well as this group had in two days.



Managing their emotions this week?
Seen incredible responses within the group. Eccitement they have. Big emotions on Monday when this team said goodbye, Tried to keep it simple on Monday because I knew what they had been saying with Marcelo. Energy on the pitch is a very positive sign. Got to add up so when they go on the pitch Saturday they are as committed if not more. Fight for the result in the ways they have.



Message to the fans?
I have not seen a lot of people. Not out there in the community much. Here or at the hotel and everyone there is saying they want me to succeed, but we love this club. Not here for me, I'm here for this club to work within that atmosphere.



Stigma around American coaches?
I think there probably is. I'm not sure Ted Lasso helped. I get it. Used the word football since I was a player. More and more in the States we are adapting to what the sport is over here. Reason I came to Europe and learned German. Fifth country I have coached football in. Takes me out of my comfort zone. Challenges me to develop. Very cognisant of the fact. Only way I know how to do things is to go all in and help the people to maximise what we are every day. That sounds like Ted Lasso from what I have heard.



The deceleration in the workload and the odd day off?
I don't think working hard and run performances in games have been an issue. The key in changing these demands is maintain and build upon the idea of what football is. What hard work for each other is. Maintain and build upon this intensity in what that makes us good. I am not as intense in the daily process as Marcelo is. Key thing is on the pitch. Goal is to access there spirits, hearts and minds.




Here whatever happens this summer?
AR asked me if I would come in either league and I said if the project was right it did matter. When they came eight days ago it was time to show I meant that. Wanted to see him finish his legacy. The group was suffering. I had to wrap my mind around doing it now and my focus is not on the Championship, it's on finding ways we will be in the PL.

In the end, I am committed to being here no matter what the situation.





Retaining your best players this summer?
You know there are things you can suggest and try to work through, but you also know there are situations you have to accept. Good players make good managers. Every manager would say he wants the best players he can, but for the health of a group you have to respect the possibilities of what is out there. I try to control what is out there within the boundaries. Work diligently with the people around me, but I trust someone like Victor, his expertise and communication style in building a roster is very impressive. I trust his way.



Your father and Ralf Rangnick
My father's balance between hard work and enjoying life is the best I have seen. He worked in a tractor factory for 32 years. He was also an incredible hard worker. Built houses. Parents got married very young because of me. They fought for everything in life to achieve and succeed. My work-life balance has always been pretty good.

Rangnick introduced complex football tactical and ideas to me in a way that ignited my passion for being a top manager. Thankful we are not playing them down the stretch. He sent me a note and that was great. A good luck note.



Zonal marking?
Set-piece strategies too. Strengths of the group is locking in on right players at the right time. There will be man-marking moments. Ability to do that is important to that transition. Not going to give too much away.

[Last week, Dallas seemed to be doing too many jobs at once]

I have played against teams with man-marking movements. We try to create counters that get in behind. It won't be as easy with the way we will play. Defensive moments hope we can come up big.




What is the club's potential?
Knowing football history and what Leeds has been in the past, knowing this is a one-club city. This club has incredible potential to inch itself forward as a bigger and bigger club here in England. With the 49ers, I met them. Incredibly intelligent people. Very clear in what has made them successful. A lot to be learned from them, but that's not the main reason I am here. To say there is an Americanisation of this club would be incorrect.

Balance overall, within the leadership group very intelligent.


You were ready to convince Orta keeping Bielsa was the best option?
That's the way I felt. I was not ready two weeks ago to say I was definitely the next coach. Was not sure. I felt a team halfway through the season. I have learnt jealousy is a terrible thing. Finding the right fit and being in a good situation. I wanted Marcelo to finish on a high note with the fans. If it was possible for me to be the next I was very open to it.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
User avatar
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 41746
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:01 pm

Re: Jesse Marsch - Good comments from some of his ex-players.

Post by Cjay »

It's nice to read positivity regarding Marsch as it's been hard to find online.

Personally my concern about him isn't because he replaced MB, the club treated Bielsa very poorly (apparently the decision to sack him happened before Spurs and the players already knew).

But that isn't Jesse's fault.

Issue with Marsch is him, his record, his style, what others say about him

According to multiple sources this is a man who told Leipzig he wasn't cut out for the job!!!!!

That's criminal as a football coach to not believe in yourself.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
User avatar
Tyzy
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4216
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:09 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Jesse Marsch - Good comments from some of his ex-players.

Post by Tyzy »

Having not being a member of this forum for long, just out of curiosity I looked back at the posts when MB arrived not dissimilar to what are being posted about Jesse James
User avatar
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 41746
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:01 pm

Re: Jesse Marsch pre Leicester

Post by Cjay »

Name checked Summerville, Gelhardt and Cress regarding the u23s.

Bamford may be on the bench vs Leicester.

Llorente and possibly other unnamed players are a doubt?

Spoke about the stigma attached to American football managers.

Was prepared to try and convince Orta to keep Bielsa

Doesn't think an Americanisation of the club is underway.

Spoke about switching to a more zonal system (thank god).

Spoke about Ralf Rangnick.

He described working for the Red Bull clubs as working within a company (little bit of sick cameup) didn't like that.

Lots more
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155360
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Jesse Marsch pre Leicester

Post by 1964white »

So a week ago, Bamford was unable to run, now he's in full training.

All very strange!
Post Reply