Jesse Marsch
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
- Orange Box
- Superstar

- Posts: 7498
- Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:51 pm
- Location: West of Scotland, formerly Cas Vegas
Re: Jesse Marsch post Villa
for me, Jesse's big mistake was picking a Bielsa team.
Over the years Ayling's best footie has been rampaging down that right touchline creating the extra man. Dallas doesn't create the same movement. Ayling isn't a CB. Others on this forum have picked out similar arguments for other players so I won't repeat them.
Did Jesse pick a Bielsa team to keep the fans onside? Only he knows. What I think he should do is pick his own team to play his way. That way, if/when he gets slaughtered it will be for his own efforts, not for trying to appease an increasingly angry crowd.
Over the years Ayling's best footie has been rampaging down that right touchline creating the extra man. Dallas doesn't create the same movement. Ayling isn't a CB. Others on this forum have picked out similar arguments for other players so I won't repeat them.
Did Jesse pick a Bielsa team to keep the fans onside? Only he knows. What I think he should do is pick his own team to play his way. That way, if/when he gets slaughtered it will be for his own efforts, not for trying to appease an increasingly angry crowd.
-
Mountain
- First Team

- Posts: 2285
- Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:20 am
Re: Jesse Marsch post Villa
Do you think "Bongo", a Newcastle fan, who laughs at genocide and throws paedophilia in to deflect from the abuses of his owners, can explain the structure of the Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia to show why all the analysts and human rights organisations are wrong and "Bongo" is right?
Unlike genocide, that IS funny!
- Carrick Dave
- Site Contributor

- Posts: 6750
- Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:46 pm
- BGwhite
- Superstar

- Posts: 6571
- Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:02 am
Re: Jesse Marsch post Villa
Quite agree, it's almost like he's covering his arse by playing the same players out of position just like Bielsa did . Its still early doors for him but he's gotta man up now and put the players in their preferred position, if it goes tits up no one can say he didn't try it but right now I'm just seeing a Bielsa clone but without the man marking. Last night it was obvious the difference Joffy made when he came on, we had a focal point up top who knows how to trouble defenders and take up positions that come naturally to a proper CF. With PB back I'd try Joffy playing behind him slightly or even the other way around, PB was dropping deep last night to pick the ball up . It may work or not work but there's nothing to lose now .Orange Box wrote:for me, Jesse's big mistake was picking a Bielsa team.
Over the years Ayling's best footie has been rampaging down that right touchline creating the extra man. Dallas doesn't create the same movement. Ayling isn't a CB. Others on this forum have picked out similar arguments for other players so I won't repeat them.
Did Jesse pick a Bielsa team to keep the fans onside? Only he knows. What I think he should do is pick his own team to play his way. That way, if/when he gets slaughtered it will be for his own efforts, not for trying to appease an increasingly angry crowd.
Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk
-
VinnysTattoo
- First Team

- Posts: 1009
- Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:55 pm
Re: Jesse Marsch post Villa
Marsch, Firpo aside, surely cannot play the same line up against Norwich.
Trouble is he doesn’t have the time to work with a massively different first team.
Cresswell to CB and Ayling reverting to right back would be an immediate improvement both defensively and offensively.
Gelhardt needs to start in the place of Rodrigo.
Can’t see these changes being a massive shift, but if nothing changes at all, other than replacing an injured Firpo, I can’t see us even beating Norwich.
Armchair managers we are, but it’s clear to all something needs to happen.
Marsch is in a really sh.t position. I only hope we can get a couple of wins before the international break and then he gets more of an opportunity to establish his methods.
Trouble is he doesn’t have the time to work with a massively different first team.
Cresswell to CB and Ayling reverting to right back would be an immediate improvement both defensively and offensively.
Gelhardt needs to start in the place of Rodrigo.
Can’t see these changes being a massive shift, but if nothing changes at all, other than replacing an injured Firpo, I can’t see us even beating Norwich.
Armchair managers we are, but it’s clear to all something needs to happen.
Marsch is in a really sh.t position. I only hope we can get a couple of wins before the international break and then he gets more of an opportunity to establish his methods.
- The Subhuman
- Superstar

- Posts: 79013
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
- Location: God's own county
Re: Jesse Marsch post Villa
I think the Championship is also one of Europe's top leagues ... certainly top ten.Carrick Dave wrote: ↑Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:58 am Worryingly, we used to say that about the Championship too.
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
- The Subhuman
- Superstar

- Posts: 79013
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
- Location: God's own county
Re: Jesse Marsch post Villa
My team atm would be (and I ignore Marsch's 4222 here for obvious reasons)
Meslier
Ayling - Llorente - Koch - Dallas
Struijk
Raphinha - Gelhardt - Klich - James
Bamford
Meslier
Ayling - Llorente - Koch - Dallas
Struijk
Raphinha - Gelhardt - Klich - James
Bamford
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
- weasel
- Superstar

- Posts: 19696
- Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
- Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet
Re: Jesse Marsch- RUMOUR - Confirmed
Steady on I know we are all hurting after yesterday's limp performance but it takes time for any manager - which is why I would have waited till the end of the season if I was making a change. Just as I wasn't going to go over the tope with praise after the Leicester match it isn't the time to write Marsch off after the Villa match.
It is hard to know what to make of Marsch. An interesting thing I picked up on was he was saying about how players weren't pressing in groups although I saw a few times where we did but still wouldn't win the ball. It all looked a bit disjointed and that is to be expected when changing from one way of pressing to another. Pressing players anywhere on the pitch will leave gaps if the opposition move the ball well and that will happen whether it is man marking or zonal.
For me though at present it is still less about tactics but more about getting key players back. Bamford back gives us more up front. KP coming back will be huge, he is a much better defensive midfielder than Forshaw and Koch and is also far better on the ball than them, In using Koch and Forshaw it seems like we are using 2 players just to try to do the defensive side of the game that KP does and as such we are then effectively 1 player down and have no creativity. I'd like to see KP and Kilch or KP and Dallas in there (I was disappointed but not surprised when Marsch started Forshaw). Having Cooper back could be crucial too. Many fans have always been on his back but a lot of the good stuff he does goes unnoticed by fans who simply judge him by the fact he will make 2 or 3 mistakes a season. Hopefully it will allow Ayling to move to right back (he had a good match yesterday but much prefer him at right back). Chances are with Firpo's injury Dallas will have to move to left back although I'd be inclined to move Struyjk there and free Dallas up to play in midfield - a couple of goals from him could be crucial.
Hopefully our luck with injuries is turning. The 2 injuries we have had since Marsch arrived are to players who aren't key players. Having PB, KP and LC back definitely makes us stronger than if they were injured rather than TR and JF.
It is hard to know what to make of Marsch. An interesting thing I picked up on was he was saying about how players weren't pressing in groups although I saw a few times where we did but still wouldn't win the ball. It all looked a bit disjointed and that is to be expected when changing from one way of pressing to another. Pressing players anywhere on the pitch will leave gaps if the opposition move the ball well and that will happen whether it is man marking or zonal.
For me though at present it is still less about tactics but more about getting key players back. Bamford back gives us more up front. KP coming back will be huge, he is a much better defensive midfielder than Forshaw and Koch and is also far better on the ball than them, In using Koch and Forshaw it seems like we are using 2 players just to try to do the defensive side of the game that KP does and as such we are then effectively 1 player down and have no creativity. I'd like to see KP and Kilch or KP and Dallas in there (I was disappointed but not surprised when Marsch started Forshaw). Having Cooper back could be crucial too. Many fans have always been on his back but a lot of the good stuff he does goes unnoticed by fans who simply judge him by the fact he will make 2 or 3 mistakes a season. Hopefully it will allow Ayling to move to right back (he had a good match yesterday but much prefer him at right back). Chances are with Firpo's injury Dallas will have to move to left back although I'd be inclined to move Struyjk there and free Dallas up to play in midfield - a couple of goals from him could be crucial.
Hopefully our luck with injuries is turning. The 2 injuries we have had since Marsch arrived are to players who aren't key players. Having PB, KP and LC back definitely makes us stronger than if they were injured rather than TR and JF.
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
- weasel
- Superstar

- Posts: 19696
- Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
- Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet
Re: Jesse Marsch post Villa
I'd probably go something similar but would have James and PB up front. PB's inteligent and ability to lay of the ball for James could work well.
Another alternative for me might be Struyjk playing left back allowing Dallas into midfield, probably alongside Forshaw (I thought he was sh*te for the opening 30 or so yesterday then started getting better) which would give Dallas license to get forward and hopefully score a goal.
Another alternative for me might be Struyjk playing left back allowing Dallas into midfield, probably alongside Forshaw (I thought he was sh*te for the opening 30 or so yesterday then started getting better) which would give Dallas license to get forward and hopefully score a goal.
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
- The Subhuman
- Superstar

- Posts: 79013
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
- Location: God's own county
Re: Jesse Marsch post Villa
Struijk at LB wouldn't be a bad idea tbf ... again would need a few games to settle.
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
- Orange Box
- Superstar

- Posts: 7498
- Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:51 pm
- Location: West of Scotland, formerly Cas Vegas
Re: Jesse Marsch post Villa
I'm sure he thinks he can.Mountain wrote: ↑Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:43 am Do you think "Bongo", a Newcastle fan, who laughs at genocide and throws paedophilia in to deflect from the abuses of his owners, can explain the structure of the Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia to show why all the analysts and human rights organisations are wrong and "Bongo" is right?
Unlike genocide, that IS funny!![]()
- Scoobychief
- Manager

- Posts: 3687
- Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:18 pm
- Johnboy1965
- Subs Bench

- Posts: 812
- Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:53 am
Re: Jesse Marsch post Villa
The manager we appoint after Marsch will be the most important.
I really hope he succeeds but he's on a hiding to nothing.
If he keeps us up people will say well Bielsa would have done that.
If we go down they will say we'd have stayed up with Bielsa.
For those reasons I can't really imagine him being here for long, so for me the manager after Marsch could be the one that defines where we'll be in a few years from now.
I really hope he succeeds but he's on a hiding to nothing.
If he keeps us up people will say well Bielsa would have done that.
If we go down they will say we'd have stayed up with Bielsa.
For those reasons I can't really imagine him being here for long, so for me the manager after Marsch could be the one that defines where we'll be in a few years from now.
-
danhirons
- Manager

- Posts: 3881
- Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:21 pm
Re: Jesse Marsch- RUMOUR - Confirmed
Can't blame him for the results (yet) but just wondered why we didn't go for corberan? Done a stellar job at Huddersfield and knew the system...sorry if been mentioned before..m
- mentalcase
- MOT Legend

- Posts: 10414
- Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:19 pm
Re: Jesse Marsch- RUMOUR - Confirmed
weasel wrote: ↑Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:41 pm Steady on I know we are all hurting after yesterday's limp performance but it takes time for any manager - which is why I would have waited till the end of the season if I was making a change. Just as I wasn't going to go over the tope with praise after the Leicester match it isn't the time to write Marsch off after the Villa match.
It is hard to know what to make of Marsch. An interesting thing I picked up on was he was saying about how players weren't pressing in groups although I saw a few times where we did but still wouldn't win the ball. It all looked a bit disjointed and that is to be expected when changing from one way of pressing to another. Pressing players anywhere on the pitch will leave gaps if the opposition move the ball well and that will happen whether it is man marking or zonal.
For me though at present it is still less about tactics but more about getting key players back. Bamford back gives us more up front. KP coming back will be huge, he is a much better defensive midfielder than Forshaw and Koch and is also far better on the ball than them, In using Koch and Forshaw it seems like we are using 2 players just to try to do the defensive side of the game that KP does and as such we are then effectively 1 player down and have no creativity. I'd like to see KP and Kilch or KP and Dallas in there (I was disappointed but not surprised when Marsch started Forshaw). Having Cooper back could be crucial too. Many fans have always been on his back but a lot of the good stuff he does goes unnoticed by fans who simply judge him by the fact he will make 2 or 3 mistakes a season. Hopefully it will allow Ayling to move to right back (he had a good match yesterday but much prefer him at right back). Chances are with Firpo's injury Dallas will have to move to left back although I'd be inclined to move Struyjk there and free Dallas up to play in midfield - a couple of goals from him could be crucial.
Hopefully our luck with injuries is turning. The 2 injuries we have had since Marsch arrived are to players who aren't key players. Having PB, KP and LC back definitely makes us stronger than if they were injured rather than TR and JF.
Excellent balanced appraisal
It makes sense to lake PS as LB and Dallas in midfield, PS would never get the opportunity to score unless from a set piece.
I'm not a massive fan of Cooper but see where his strengths are missing now, apart from him holding players from corners
I would start both PB & JG, take the game to them, get em on t' back foot and run em ragged, time to get tough, this is the time, the time for ACTION.
Regarding managers, no-one knew about the sanctions about to happen, but, we could have had TT pretty soon.
" Man is not affected by events but by the view he takes of them "
- whiteswan
- Superstar

- Posts: 20739
- Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 am
Re: Jesse Marsch- RUMOUR - Confirmed
Really not sure about Jesse James yet. Something doesn't sit right for me. I can't put my finger on it at the mo. Maybe it's the unknown American? Like how did we end up with him. What is his pedigree.....I actually feel almost back to the Cellino wilderness. I can't help the way I feel. My feeling isn't knee jerk to the last two games by the way. I've stayed quiet but I am really uneasy at this moment in time.
-
VinnysTattoo
- First Team

- Posts: 1009
- Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:55 pm
Re: Jesse Marsch- RUMOUR - Confirmed
Share those thoughts.whiteswan wrote: ↑Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:43 pm Really not sure about Jesse James yet. Something doesn't sit right for me. I can't put my finger on it at the mo. Maybe it's the unknown American? Like how did we end up with him. What is his pedigree.....I actually feel almost back to the Cellino wilderness. I can't help the way I feel. My feeling isn't knee jerk to the last two games by the way. I've stayed quiet but I am really uneasy at this moment in time.
After two games of playing the same lineup that was criticised when MB was in charge niggles somewhat. I was wanting change and I hope this works out. A couple of wins and I might feel different.
- Tyzy
- Manager

- Posts: 4214
- Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:09 pm
- Location: Leeds
Re: Jesse Marsch- RUMOUR - Confirmed
Jesse James,did you copy that from me ?whiteswan wrote: ↑Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:43 pm Really not sure about Jesse James yet. Something doesn't sit right for me. I can't put my finger on it at the mo. Maybe it's the unknown American? Like how did we end up with him. What is his pedigree.....I actually feel almost back to the Cellino wilderness. I can't help the way I feel. My feeling isn't knee jerk to the last two games by the way. I've stayed quiet but I am really uneasy at this moment in time.
I'm not keen on the over the top hugging business I find it all a bit sickly and false.
Forget all the kissy kissy stuff ,we need to man up ,get stuck in and fight for our lives !
- Finnatic
- Superstar

- Posts: 6705
- Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:47 pm
Re: Jesse Marsch- RUMOUR - Confirmed
Only basing it on the Villa game but I hope it doesn’t become a faster version of Warnockball.
We hoofed it a bit the other night.
We hoofed it a bit the other night.
- Kennyb41
- Superstar

- Posts: 12426
- Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:15 am
Re: Jesse Marsch- RUMOUR - Confirmed
Gotta love Sara, says ever so much with just three words.
I'd have probably gone on a 100 line rant to get across the same.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game
...That Ayling goal and "You couldn't script it
" - Dirty Leeds B@stard.
Must dash.
;@)
Must dash.
;@)