Saying goodbye to a family pet

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Saying goodbye to a family pet

Post by whiteswan »

Jaydog wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:56 pm Thanks Swannie. He really was beautiful inside & out. Absolute lunatic when he was young but a gentle boy.
Amazing ages for your two! And Mazda, great name. Did you bring him back in a truck? I know how you must of felt now with Josh. I’m absolutely heartbroken tbh, it’s what you have to pay but it’s worth it.
Like others before me have said.....your lovely boy had a fantastic life with you. Hang on to that. The love you both shared will never leave you.
Mazda, a little girl was found in the chassis of one of our hospital nurses cars on her way to work. It was a Mazda car. The poor little thing was so tiny with matted hair and matted eyes. The nurse went to A&E and got paediatric antibiotics and paediatric eye medicine. She nursed her for a few months before she left the country. I took Mazda on at about 4 months old....she used to climb up my leg and sit on my shoulder when I was washing up. When it was time for me to leave the middle east I brought her home (she was 8 years old) and she had to be in quarantine for six months. The flight and quarantine cost me a £1000 in 1992, but it was money well spent. I loved her even though sometimes she would become feral and rip into my with her claws. Like I say, I was lucky enough to have had the little lady with me for all those years.

When she was 12, we decided on getting a Basset hound. Josh. A lovely boy who became my walking soulmate. To begin with Mazda and Josh were wary of each other, although Mazda was the boss! Within a few months they were the best of friends. When I had to take Mazda to the vet for the final time it was heartbreaking. She had been through so much with me, including the first gulf war, both of us being bombed by Sadam Hussein! Josh missed her so much as well.

Losing Josh was the most awful time for me. He was my first dog, and my companion. He is still very much a part of me, every walk, a particular song. He will never leave me, his love for me will never leave me and that is what you must take forward with you Jay. Stanley is in your heart forever.....as you were in his. Don't forget that. You will move on, but Stanley will move on with you.

I now have Zachary.....another basset hound. Not a replacement because that can never be. Just another loving, cheeky, mischievous boy in his own right who brings me so much joy.

Look after yourself and feel free to PM me if you feel the need
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

whiteswan wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:10 pm Like others before me have said.....your lovely boy had a fantastic life with you. Hang on to that. The love you both shared will never leave you.
Mazda, a little girl was found in the chassis of one of our hospital nurses cars on her way to work. It was a Mazda car. The poor little thing was so tiny with matted hair and matted eyes. The nurse went to A&E and got paediatric antibiotics and paediatric eye medicine. She nursed her for a few months before she left the country. I took Mazda on at about 4 months old....she used to climb up my leg and sit on my shoulder when I was washing up. When it was time for me to leave the middle east I brought her home (she was 8 years old) and she had to be in quarantine for six months. The flight and quarantine cost me a £1000 in 1992, but it was money well spent. I loved her even though sometimes she would become feral and rip into my with her claws. Like I say, I was lucky enough to have had the little lady with me for all those years.

When she was 12, we decided on getting a Basset hound. Josh. A lovely boy who became my walking soulmate. To begin with Mazda and Josh were wary of each other, although Mazda was the boss! Within a few months they were the best of friends. When I had to take Mazda to the vet for the final time it was heartbreaking. She had been through so much with me, including the first gulf war, both of us being bombed by Sadam Hussein! Josh missed her so much as well.

Losing Josh was the most awful time for me. He was my first dog, and my companion. He is still very much a part of me, every walk, a particular song. He will never leave me, his love for me will never leave me and that is what you must take forward with you Jay. Stanley is in your heart forever.....as you were in his. Don't forget that. You will move on, but Stanley will move on with you.

I now have Zachary.....another basset hound. Not a replacement because that can never be. Just another loving, cheeky, mischievous boy in his own right who brings me so much joy.

Look after yourself and feel free to PM me if you feel the need
Amazing story. She really had a will to survive did little Mazda. You sound like you’ve had a bit of a journey yourself Swannie!
I know what you’re saying and I know it’s true but it’s just going to take a while I suppose.
Baldbloke
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Baldbloke »

Had 2 Jack Russell's, a girl at 14 and a boy at 12 both absolutely fantastic dogs that grew up with us and our daughters.
They are more than pets they're family members and losing them is heart breaking.
Ruby died at home of old age, no pain or discomfort just passed in her sleep. Bruce did ok for a few weeks but then he just seemed to sack life off altogether, pining for Ruby, not eating and in the end the right thing to do was have him put to sleep.
Taking him to the vets was one of the most heart breaking things I've ever had to do in my entire life. Stayed with him so he wasn't on his own and talked to him through it all.
And now I have something in my eyes making them water
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Baldbloke wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 6:58 am Had 2 Jack Russell's, a girl at 14 and a boy at 12 both absolutely fantastic dogs that grew up with us and our daughters.
They are more than pets they're family members and losing them is heart breaking.
Ruby died at home of old age, no pain or discomfort just passed in her sleep. Bruce did ok for a few weeks but then he just seemed to sack life off altogether, pining for Ruby, not eating and in the end the right thing to do was have him put to sleep.
Taking him to the vets was one of the most heart breaking things I've ever had to do in my entire life. Stayed with him so he wasn't on his own and talked to him through it all.
And now I have something in my eyes making them water
:cry: it’s probably dust or something :duno:
I feel your pain though. Nothing quite like it. The girl at the crem said it’s the best gift we have, that we can let them go so they don’t suffer.
Mrs64
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Mrs64 »

The stories on this thread brings tears to my eyes :verysad:

Freddie, Felix & Heidi brought us so many memories, we were devastated when they were taken from us.

Thankfully Casper came along, a godsend in our lives, the love he has given us is truly remarkable bearing in mind the frightened, sad, hissing, hungry boy was who turned up on our doorstep eight years ago. You wouldn't think he was the same cat now as he lays between us happy & totally content with life.

Sorry to hear about your loss of Stanley. We understand the emotions you are going through, Jay, such sad times :cry:
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

V sad mate.

Now chewing bones in the kennel in the sky.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Kennyb41 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:17 am V sad mate.

Now chewing bones in the kennel in the sky.
Yeah, hope so Kenny. Or annoying someone because he could be a right wind up merchant. Like you :)
At least there will be good news later. No, probably not.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Mrs64 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 8:54 am The stories on this thread brings tears to my eyes :verysad:

Freddie, Felix & Heidi brought us so many memories, we were devastated when they were taken from us.

Thankfully Casper came along, a godsend in our lives, the love he has given us is truly remarkable bearing in mind the frightened, sad, hissing, hungry boy was who turned up on our doorstep eight years ago. You wouldn't think he was the same cat now as he lays between us happy & totally content with life.

Sorry to hear about your loss of Stanley. We understand the emotions you are going through, Jay, such sad times :cry:
Thanks Mrs64 I really do appreciate it. And your Casper makes me laugh. The Boss :)
I love all the stories even though they’re tinged with sadness.
So many animals have terrible lives but there’s plenty that are spoilt rotten thankfully :)
Baldbloke
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Baldbloke »

During lockdown my mate unfortunately had to have his dog put to sleep. Wasn't allowed into the vets so they had to sedate her on a blanket in the carpark, then take her inside to do the final injection.
Very sad for him, and everyone else who had to go through that. Losing a pet is bad enough but doing something so final and sad in a carpark makes it so much worse
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Baldbloke wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 11:07 am During lockdown my mate unfortunately had to have his dog put to sleep. Wasn't allowed into the vets so they had to sedate her on a blanket in the carpark, then take her inside to do the final injection.
Very sad for him, and everyone else who had to go through that. Losing a pet is bad enough but doing something so final and sad in a carpark makes it so much worse
Oh that’s a shocker BB. I’m amazed they didn’t do it in the car. I know someone who’s dog was put down in the car as it was so far gone.
I was “lucky” in that respect. It all sort of fell into place. We ended up with the vet & nurse coming to the house and the vet had operated on him twice previously so she knew him. He just rested his head on the nurses arm while they put a catheter in his leg. He never flinched, just had a long look at the wife, then me.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Jaydog wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 6:22 am Amazing story. She really had a will to survive did little Mazda. You sound like you’ve had a bit of a journey yourself Swannie!
I know what you’re saying and I know it’s true but it’s just going to take a while I suppose.
Received your PM Jay. Thank you. I will reply later as I have to be somewhere this aft. Take care....
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Jaydog wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 12:22 pm Thanks Leon. And you’re absolutely right, so many memories. He was nearly 14 and he had a great life. So many don’t unfortunately
Love your new avatar, Jay :tup:
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

1964white wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:03 am Love your new avatar, Jay :tup:
Thanks Leon. Finally worked out how to resize it. Miracle for me tbh
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Really sorry to hear this, Jay, Stanley was a gorgeous boy.

We have a rescue Staffy called Maisie and I dread the day we have to say goodbye to her. The unconditional love you get from a dog is a wonderful thing. She is my girl, follows me everywhere I go, and I can't imagine this house without her. She talks to me more than my 14 yr old daughter, who is much too cool to talk to her old, embarrassing dad!!
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

lufc1304 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:42 am Really sorry to hear this, Jay, Stanley was a gorgeous boy.

We have a rescue Staffy called Maisie and I dread the day we have to say goodbye to her. The unconditional love you get from a dog is a wonderful thing. She is my girl, follows me everywhere I go, and I can't imagine this house without her. She talks to me more than my 14 yr old daughter, who is much too cool to talk to her old, embarrassing dad!!
Thanks LUFC. And :lol: I know what 14 year olds are like!
Couldn’t even begin to explain to you how it feels. Got his ashes yesterday. Friday 8.30 pm he was put to sleep, an hour later he was dust. Even though he was an old boy the silence he left behind is deafening. The Stan soundtrack we call it. We would often say he was lucky to find us but let’s face it it is definitely the other way round.
Ah your girl sounds so sweet. Enjoy every minute you get.
Baldbloke
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Baldbloke »

We have the ashes of our 2 in scatter tubes, wife has had them a couple of years now and can't seem to bring herself to go to their favourite walking place and scatter them.
The absolute unconditional love, loyalty and affection you get from dogs is amazing, they certainly leave a big dog shaped hole in your life when they go (or small hole depending on their breed 😆)
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Baldbloke wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:18 pm We have the ashes of our 2 in scatter tubes, wife has had them a couple of years now and can't seem to bring herself to go to their favourite walking place and scatter them.
The absolute unconditional love, loyalty and affection you get from dogs is amazing, they certainly leave a big dog shaped hole in your life when they go (or small hole depending on their breed 😆)
:lol: you got that right!
We’re going to go on a few favourite walks to scatter some when my daughter comes back in a few weeks. A bit in the garden and a bit on Broadhaven beach in Pembroke, as soon as he got on that beach it was a trigger to go completely mad. So funny. Understand why you might hang on to them though.
Mrs64
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Mrs64 »

Jaydog wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:18 am Thanks Mrs64 I really do appreciate it. And your Casper makes me laugh. The Boss :)
I love all the stories even though they’re tinged with sadness.
So many animals have terrible lives but there’s plenty that are spoilt rotten thankfully :)
Casper is such a beautiful loving boy, his life is full of adhering habits, he's so punctual he must have a clock in his head.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Mrs64 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:58 pm Casper is such a beautiful loving boy, his life is full of adhering habits, he's so punctual he must have a clock in his head.
Oh yeah definitely. They have amazing food (and walk) related clocks.
Your story made me think of visiting my parents and my dads favourite cat wandered into the yard yelling his head off. He’d been gone a few years at that point, found somewhere else to live I suppose. Stayed a little while and left. He never saw him again. Funny that they can just change owners. Funnily enough he had very similar markings to yours. Boots he was called. Perhaps he used the train :)
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

lufc1304 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:42 am Really sorry to hear this, Jay, Stanley was a gorgeous boy.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Animals do talk :tup: