Lifeline or prolonging the agony?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Re: Lifeline or prolonging the agony?

Post by WhiteRose »

It’s a lifeline and I’ve a feeling it’s all gonna be alright, hell that solitary point might yet be enough - as I said a couple week ago I wouldn’t be surprised if Burnley don’t get another point and since I said that they haven’t.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

WhiteRose wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 5:58 pm It’s a lifeline and I’ve a feeling it’s all gonna be alright, hell that solitary point might yet be enough - as I said a couple week ago I wouldn’t be surprised if Burnley don’t get another point and since I said that they haven’t.
Time for me to bet on them! :)
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

WhiteRose wrote:It’s a lifeline and I’ve a feeling it’s all gonna be alright, hell that solitary point might yet be enough - as I said a couple week ago I wouldn’t be surprised if Burnley don’t get another point and since I said that they haven’t.
Maybe the same applies to Everton now , their squad is decimated, hardly a defender fit, 2 sent off today and DKL obviously has hammy issues. However with Richarlieson and Pickford they have 2 match winners . Burnley have Pope in goal but who else...no one really. We have to hope that we play at least as well as we did 2nd half today and the said match winners have off days for a couple of games.

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

foxy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by foxy »

probably both. at least our battling second half performance provided some hope though I frankly never thought we'd score with their goalkeeper and our lack of goalscorers and general panic whenever we have a sight on goal. Brentford clearly aren't yet on the beach and getting anything there will be tough. we really need villa to do us a favour as bettering Burnley's result next Sunday will be a tall order.
at least we live to fight another day and if that was our last premier league home game for a while the team showed some passion and fight and didn't go down with a whimper. its just sad that is all we seem to have to offer at the moment.
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

Getting a point today is definitely a LIFELINE! But it's really more than that. It's a statistical milestone. Consider that in 11 of the last 20 Premier League seasons 35 points were enough to avoid relegation. This point basically doubled the odds of survival.

Getting a DRAW at Brentford would put us on 36 points. That would be good for safety in 13 of 20 seasons. (65%)
Getting a WIN at Brentford would put us on 38 points. That would be good for safety in 18 of 20 seasons. (90%)
Football/Futbol/Soccer
Broad Ford
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Broad Ford »

I watched the Brighton game at a ManU fans home from a fire stick. He called it Leeds' cup final and he's spot on. Imagine going on a cup run right to the final last game, last fixture for Leeds? It's now cup final day on Sunday afternoon at 4pm, where even a loss might be good enough. It all depends upon Burnley Thursday night, where even a win for Burnley might not be enough come 6pm Sunday.

Leeds have 7 days to prepare for cup final day and I suggest Leeds fans prepare by building positive belief in the Leeds United team as cup final day approaches. The team needs Leeds' support now more than ever if they are to be victorious at Brentford on Sunday. MOT
Hey you, out there on the road
Always doing what you're told
Can you help me?
Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Post by Scoobychief »

Lifeline for sure if burnley loose 1 game of their remaining 2 then we still need to go to brentford and win it would be in our own hands our destiny, just need aston villa to beat burnley thursday night.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Broad Ford wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 3:04 am I watched the Brighton game at a ManU fans home from a fire stick. He called it Leeds' cup final and he's spot on. Imagine going on a cup run right to the final last game, last fixture for Leeds? It's now cup final day on Sunday afternoon at 4pm, where even a loss might be good enough. It all depends upon Burnley Thursday night, where even a win for Burnley might not be enough come 6pm Sunday.

Leeds have 7 days to prepare for cup final day and I suggest Leeds fans prepare by building positive belief in the Leeds United team as cup final day approaches. The team needs Leeds' support now more than ever if they are to be victorious at Brentford on Sunday. MOT
The team has had terrific support all season even when we are getting hammered, it seems to have made no difference to them, hence we've only won eight games all season.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Don't think the support in the ground can ever be questioned. Sure people whinge on Twitter but that's what it's for, Elland Road has always backed the team.
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

Broad Ford wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 3:04 am I watched the Brighton game at a ManU fans home from a fire stick. He called it Leeds' cup final and he's spot on. Imagine going on a cup run right to the final last game, last fixture for Leeds? It's now cup final day on Sunday afternoon at 4pm, where even a loss might be good enough. It all depends upon Burnley Thursday night, where even a win for Burnley might not be enough come 6pm Sunday.

The players need to build that positive belief within themselves. The fans have been 100% behind them even after some of the most abject performances to be witnessed. They really need to stand up, no room for hiding out there and they have to give everything they've got.
William
First Team
First Team

Post by William »

Jaydog wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:36 pm Enlighten me. What was he trying to do. I say that as someone who didn't (dare) watch. Just seen the JG skill/goal and that’s it.
Hunt them down in a pack, break forward very directly and stick the ball in the net.

There were times that there were four white shirts around the ball. The difference this time is that when they won it they seemed to have more of a clue as to who was to move where next. Underlapping runs, It is very narrow at times and on a couple of very obvious occasions you could hear the crowd getting frustrated that there was no wide ball on the left. But in the second half especially you could see what the plan was.

It really needs two DFms who wont be pushed around though, who are comfortable on the ball and who can ride a tackle, they are the most important pieces in the jigsaw for these types of systems.

Of course the huge flaw in all this ( as it always will be is the risks of exposure if the tackles aren't won)
Marsch OUT

Football has undergone a process of bielsification; pressing and possessing, passing rather than dribbling, intercepting high up the field rather than making last-ditch tackles, are in vogue.

Marcelo Bielsa. The light that will never go out.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

William wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:22 am Hunt them down in a pack, break forward very directly and stick the ball in the net.

There were times that there were four white shirts around the ball. The difference this time is that when they won it they seemed to have more of a clue as to who was to move where next. Underlapping runs, It is very narrow at times and on a couple of very obvious occasions you could hear the crowd getting frustrated that there was no wide ball on the left. But in the second half especially you could see what the plan was.

It really needs two DFms who wont be pushed around though, who are comfortable on the ball and who can ride a tackle, they are the most important pieces in the jigsaw for these types of systems.

Of course the huge flaw in all this ( as it always will be is the risks of exposure if the tackles aren't won)
Thanks William. And a good synopsis based on the highlights I’ve seen. JG hitting Coops in the face, jeez you just can’t allow for that. What are the chances. I hope it doesn’t cost us
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

A bit of both for me too.

There could be a perfect storm and not in a good way.
Everton and ourselves both play in London and it could be a situation where one of us could go down.
Scum are also in London at the same time and if it’s us for the drop it might all kick off 🫤
We do have previous when things don’t go our way.
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

William wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:22 am Hunt them down in a pack, break forward very directly and stick the ball in the net.

This is good analysis William. And you are absolutely correct that Marsch's Gegenpressing 4-2-3-1 requires two defensive midfielders to be successful. Of that pair one will play like a 6 and cover the back line and a be a bit of a destroyer. In New York it was Tyler Adams that JM molded into that role. Adams is now the USA Captain and plays a similar role with RB Leipzig. The other will be more of a sturdy box to box type and support the 3 attacking midfielders. A player that can get stuck in, but also carry the ball and deliver a pass.

Once the right pieces are in place, you can also expect to see the wide attacking midfielders allowed the freedom to get wide or tuck in during certain moments. Raphinha was allowed that freedom yesterday and the difference was plain for everyone to see.
Football/Futbol/Soccer
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

HarryofOz wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:23 pm Definitely a lifeline, with our goal difference that point is crucial.
Spot on Harry :tup:
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
William
First Team
First Team

Post by William »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 3:28 pm This is good analysis William. And you are absolutely correct that Marsch's Gegenpressing 4-2-3-1 requires two defensive midfielders to be successful. Of that pair one will play like a 6 and cover the back line and a be a bit of a destroyer. In New York it was Tyler Adams that JM molded into that role. Adams is now the USA Captain and plays a similar role with RB Leipzig. The other will be more of a sturdy box to box type and support the 3 attacking midfielders. A player that can get stuck in, but also carry the ball and deliver a pass.

Once the right pieces are in place, you can also expect to see the wide attacking midfielders allowed the freedom to get wide or tuck in during certain moments. Raphinha was allowed that freedom yesterday and the difference was plain for everyone to see.
Cheers
Marsch OUT

Football has undergone a process of bielsification; pressing and possessing, passing rather than dribbling, intercepting high up the field rather than making last-ditch tackles, are in vogue.

Marcelo Bielsa. The light that will never go out.