70's Rock, Pop, Soul, Punk, Reggae

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Music 70's Rock, Pop, Soul, Punk, Reggae

Post by 1964white »

So much to enjoy, where do you start?

All yours folks :tup:

Screenshot 2022-05-16 18.15.17.png
1964white

Re: The Rock, Pop, Soul, Punk, Folk, Reggae of the Fabulous 70s

Post by 1964white »

Bowie, Floyd, Stones, Wishbone Ash, The Clash, Robert Wyatt, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder plus 100's more bands/songwriters up there for me.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Anyway, several unusual choices, maybe forgotten by some on the way
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Remember this hit from 1970.

Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Re: The Rock, Pop, Soul, Punk, Reggae of the Fabulous 70s

Post by Clacton White »

I was , and still am , heavily into the punk scene of the 1970's and 80's.......the 80's scene was far heavier and rougher than the 70's punk stuff as the majority of the bands were maybe less experimental but from more working class backgrounds , the oi scene incorporating a football hooligan element to a degree and a lot of the hardcore bands were very uncompromising sound wise and lyrically. The 70's scene was far more artistic , not as much as the earlier US scene ( yes there were US bands before the UK ) . You also had glam , prog rock , heavy metal , a mod resurgence, reggae , disco , psychobilly and a rock n roll revival too.......does anyone think things were far more varied and original back then .Things were also very tribal......street gangs of punks , skins , ted's , rockers etc......all of whom would seem to fight each other on sight.......especially on a night out in Brum city centre back then , we had Oasis , a market store where all the punks hung out.....it's still going I believe , had many stalls , all indoors , selling almost any sort of clothing.
I loved that era .
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Yes , I think like you , things were far more original and varied, todays stuff is Babbage, or maybe I’m getting Older :-D
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

I agree, was much more colour when I was growing up in the 70s and 80s. Everyone I knew was part of a tribe, be it mod, rocker, skin, punk, we even had a few teddy boys still knocking about. It did get lively, especially at the weekends, but I'd rather that the almost homogenised look kids have these days. And the music was great, despite both decades having their fair share of total dross.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Clacton White wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 6:10 am I was , and still am , heavily into the punk scene of the 1970's and 80's.......the 80's scene was far heavier and rougher than the 70's punk stuff as the majority of the bands were maybe less experimental but from more working class backgrounds , the oi scene incorporating a football hooligan element to a degree and a lot of the hardcore bands were very uncompromising sound wise and lyrically. The 70's scene was far more artistic , not as much as the earlier US scene ( yes there were US bands before the UK ) . You also had glam , prog rock , heavy metal , a mod resurgence, reggae , disco , psychobilly and a rock n roll revival too.......does anyone think things were far more varied and original back then .Things were also very tribal......street gangs of punks , skins , ted's , rockers etc......all of whom would seem to fight each other on sight.......especially on a night out in Brum city centre back then , we had Oasis , a market store where all the punks hung out.....it's still going I believe , had many stalls , all indoors , selling almost any sort of clothing.
I loved that era .
Much more varied in those times, Clacton.
Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Post by Clacton White »

mentalcase wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 7:56 am Yes , I think like you , things were far more original and varied, todays stuff is Babbage, or maybe I’m getting Older :-D
Or both ? It is garbage imo and we are getting older . I am glad I lived through the times I did.
1964white

Re: 70's Rock, Pop, Soul, Punk, Reggae

Post by 1964white »

One of the great live bands I saw at Leeds University.

From their wonderful debut album....10cc

Jimang
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Jimang »

My favorite band from the 70s was The Jam, I bought all their singles as they came out, particularly liked their earlier ones like Eton Rifles and Down in the Tube station at midnight.
The Sweet were my favorite of the Glam rock bands with the Teenage Rampage the single I liked best.
Smokie were my favorite pop band, I again collected their singles.
Then when Punk rock came in I loved The Stranglers and Blondie best, but that was a really exciting time in music, which I appreciated even more in later years. I now have all the CD albums of those band and listen to now and again.... but somehow always revert back to Elvis in the end :-)
Jimang
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Jimang »

Concerning 10cc White, I had the How Dare You album... really liked the I'm Mandy Fly me track.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Jimang wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:11 pm My favorite band from the 70s was The Jam, I bought all their singles as they came out, particularly liked their earlier ones like Eton Rifles and Down in the Tube station at midnight.
The Sweet were my favorite of the Glam rock bands with the Teenage Rampage the single I liked best.
Then when Punk rock came in I loved The Stranglers and Blondie best, but that was a really exciting time in music, which I appreciated even more in later years. I now have all the CD albums of those band and listen to now and again.... but somehow always revert back to Elvis in the end :-)
All fantastic bands from the 70s Jim :tup:

Being a few years older than you, I assume, the majority of my singles/45rpms purchases were during the 60s.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Jimang wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:13 pm Concerning 10cc White, I had the How Dare You album... really liked the I'm Mandy Fly me track.
I love 10cc's music, have their first four albums on my shelves, 10cc, Sheet Music, The Original Soundtrack & How Dare You.
Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Post by Clacton White »

Jimang wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:11 pm My favorite band from the 70s was The Jam, I bought all their singles as they came out, particularly liked their earlier ones like Eton Rifles and Down in the Tube station at midnight.
I think The Jam were possibly the greatest singles band of that era , talking rock bands rather than pop here , such as Abba etc .There was always the thing were they punk or not , especially once the mods latched onto them , but whatever , they wrote brilliant songs and attitude was certainly punk . If you read the music press back in those days , they always did polls on the best musicians, I think bass guitar was always between JJ Burnel if Stranglers and Bruce Foxton of The Jam , keyboards was usually Stranglers Dave Greenfield Vs Rick Wakeman of Yes. The Clash had this odd idea that not doing TOTP was a rebellious act , I reckon that harmed them a fair bit as their singles didn't do well comparitively until London Calling with a few minor chart hits .It was also funny what passed for punk in 77 was sneered at by later punks from 81 onwards as being maybe too tame or mainstream ......such as Elvis Costello but by then the punks were the Mohican and leather brigade.......I was certainly , but still listened to The Stranglers.
I thought it a great shame when The Jam split , but Paul Weller certainly had the right thoughts that the way he or they were going maybe wasn't what The Jam were about so despite what the fans thought he was probably right , but they left a lot of people with a lot of good memories and a bloody good record collection , both singles and albums .
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Somebody call him a Bastion.

1964white

Post by 1964white »

I saw Harley/Cockney Rebel in Leeds at the time of their popularity.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

1964white wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:45 pm I saw Harley/Cockney Rebel in Leeds at the time of their popularity.
Mi older cousin played that song a few years ago, strange but its a sticker.