What are you reading
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
- Muppet the Cat
- Moderator

- Posts: 18297
- Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 9:42 pm
- Location: Cardiff
Re: What are you reading
My holiday reading is:
Black Sabbath - Symptom of the Universe (Mick Wall)
Life On Tour With Bowie (Sean Mayes)
A Little History of the World (E.H. Gombrich)
Black Sabbath - Symptom of the Universe (Mick Wall)
Life On Tour With Bowie (Sean Mayes)
A Little History of the World (E.H. Gombrich)
- hector
- Moderator

- Posts: 14628
- Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:57 am
- Location: In a wood
Re: What are you reading
still on the Conn Igulden Khan series
and the Sentinel by Lee Child
and the Sentinel by Lee Child
Hopelessly lost.................. But making good time
-
WestgateRun
- Subs Bench

- Posts: 518
- Joined: Sun May 24, 2020 7:53 pm
- Location: Wakefield
Re: What are you reading
I'm reading Wuthering Heights, by Emily Bronte. Surprisingly readable and modern, and worthy of it's classic status.
- Jaydog
- Superstar

- Posts: 21204
- Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
- Location: Here
Re: What are you reading
All the Cormac McCarthy books are brilliant especially “No Country For Old Men” (great film), Child Of God & Blood Meridian. Read that last one 3 times. Wish he’d write another one.
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
- Musicman1965
- First Team

- Posts: 2142
- Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:11 pm
Re: What are you reading
A Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
Like Biographies but selective
Edgar Allan Poe
F Scott Fitz
Distraction read Vince Flynn or Dean Koontz
Like Biographies but selective
Edgar Allan Poe
F Scott Fitz
Distraction read Vince Flynn or Dean Koontz
-
SG90
- Superstar

- Posts: 23126
- Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 pm
Re: What are you reading
Jack Kerouac - Doctor Sax and Mike Nichols: A Life on the go atm
- Rook
- First Team

- Posts: 1513
- Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:02 pm
Re: What are you reading
I smell blood and an era of prominent mad men - W.H. Auden
- mentalcase
- MOT Legend

- Posts: 10414
- Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:19 pm
Re: What are you reading
" Man is not affected by events but by the view he takes of them "
- BGwhite
- Superstar

- Posts: 6571
- Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:02 am
Re: What are you reading
This
Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk
Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk
- Rook
- First Team

- Posts: 1513
- Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:02 pm
Re: What are you reading
Freaks: The Pig Faced Lady Of Manchester Square and Other Medical Marvels - Jan Bondeson

This book covers the lives of individuals afflicted with severe deformities and how 17th and 18th century British society reacted to their extraordinary bodies. The book is illustrated with woodcuts, engravings, and oil paintings.
Amazon link below
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Freaks-Pig-Fac ... B019L5QWZQ

This book covers the lives of individuals afflicted with severe deformities and how 17th and 18th century British society reacted to their extraordinary bodies. The book is illustrated with woodcuts, engravings, and oil paintings.
Amazon link below
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Freaks-Pig-Fac ... B019L5QWZQ
Last edited by Rook on Fri Jan 09, 2026 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I smell blood and an era of prominent mad men - W.H. Auden
- mentalcase
- MOT Legend

- Posts: 10414
- Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:19 pm
Re: What are you reading
21 strong is the film related to the book Ghost wars that you recommended rook, just came across it.
Also a book I read a couple of years ago "red platoon" another amazing read, I watched the film tonight called outpost there is also a book called outpost , but I read the red platoon one, unbelievable stuff.
Also a book I read a couple of years ago "red platoon" another amazing read, I watched the film tonight called outpost there is also a book called outpost , but I read the red platoon one, unbelievable stuff.
" Man is not affected by events but by the view he takes of them "
- hector
- Moderator

- Posts: 14628
- Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:57 am
- Location: In a wood
Re: What are you reading
If that is the one about camp Keating... I watched it a year ago... bloody goodmentalcase wrote: ↑Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:53 pm 21 strong is the film related to the book Ghost wars that you recommended rook, just came across it.
Also a book I read a couple of years ago "red platoon" another amazing read, I watched the film tonight called outpost there is also a book called outpost , but I read the red platoon one, unbelievable stuff.
Hopelessly lost.................. But making good time
- Ratscoot
- Manager

- Posts: 4221
- Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:52 pm
Re: What are you reading
Just getting my reading material ready for a week away with the missis and the dog in July, cabin in the woods well away from people
So picked up last week (not started reading yet) Tornado - In the Eye of the Storm by John Nichol all about Desert Storm
Will bring back some memories but bonus of lots of pictures inside the cockpit so I can bore the crap out of my kids and grandkids about what I use to work on with pictures no less
So picked up last week (not started reading yet) Tornado - In the Eye of the Storm by John Nichol all about Desert Storm
Will bring back some memories but bonus of lots of pictures inside the cockpit so I can bore the crap out of my kids and grandkids about what I use to work on with pictures no less
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
- mentalcase
- MOT Legend

- Posts: 10414
- Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:19 pm
Re: What are you reading
Thats the one pal , outpost
Some of the airbourne sent in to camp keating were unmanned flown from the USA
Also 21 strong, another fact based one from the book "ghost wars"
" Man is not affected by events but by the view he takes of them "
-
Aussieleeds
- Subs Bench

- Posts: 572
- Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:53 am
Re: What are you reading
Partial to Jo Nesbo, Ian Rankin, Michael Connelly and biographies of scientists. Currently reading ‘Einstein - a life’ by Denis Brian.
- Rook
- First Team

- Posts: 1513
- Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:02 pm
Re: What are you reading
mentalcase wrote: ↑Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:53 pm 21 strong is the film related to the book Ghost wars that you recommended rook, just came across it.
Also a book I read a couple of years ago "red platoon" another amazing read, I watched the film tonight called outpost there is also a book called outpost , but I read the red platoon one, unbelievable stuff.
I didn't know there was a film based on Ghost Wars, It'll need be a bloody long film to do the book justice.
I'll definitely be checking it out.
Cheers mate
I smell blood and an era of prominent mad men - W.H. Auden
- lufc1304
- Superstar

- Posts: 14809
- Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:40 pm
- Twitter: @DrGonzo2411
- Location: Lisburn, N.I
Re: What are you reading
Memo From Turner - Tim Willocks. A crime drama set against the backdrop of South Africa's Northern Territory. When the drunk son of a mining magnate kills a nameless street girl in a Cape Town shanty, only the titular Turner is interested in pursuing justice, for reasons that only start to come to light as the story progresses. It is bleak, bloody and brilliant, as you would expect from the writer behind Green River Rising. Highly recommended
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
- John in Louisiana
- Site Contributor

- Posts: 13918
- Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:09 pm
- Location: No Longer Lousiana - Southern Illinois
Re: What are you reading
The Flag and the Cross: White Christian Nationalism and the Threat to American Democracy by Philip S. Gorski and Samuel L. Perry
- wilsdenwhite
- First Team

- Posts: 1476
- Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:35 am
Re: What are you reading
Just read: L.S. Lowry - The Art and The Artist - T.G. Rosenthal
Now reading: The Walmington-On-Sea Home Guard Training Manual (as issued to Frank Pike) - George Mainwaring
Next: Mozipedia - The Encyclopaedia of Morrissey and the Smiths - Simon Goddard
Then: 10 for 10: Hedley Verity and the Story of Cricket’s Greatest Bowling Feat - Chris Waters
Now reading: The Walmington-On-Sea Home Guard Training Manual (as issued to Frank Pike) - George Mainwaring
Next: Mozipedia - The Encyclopaedia of Morrissey and the Smiths - Simon Goddard
Then: 10 for 10: Hedley Verity and the Story of Cricket’s Greatest Bowling Feat - Chris Waters
|||L|||E|||E|||D|||S|||
- mentalcase
- MOT Legend

- Posts: 10414
- Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:19 pm
Re: What are you reading
Yes, it would need to be a bloody long film, 12 strong is well related about the group that took the northern part of Afghanistan, The capture of Mazar-i-Sharif by the Horse Soldiers.
" Man is not affected by events but by the view he takes of them "