Kalvin Phillips

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Re: Kalvin Phillips.- £42mil Man City deal close

Post by BobHirst »

weasel wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:24 pm It isn't a great deal but equally it isn't a bad deal. I hoped we'd get around £50m and think we'd have probably got £60m if we'd sold him last summer. Sadly this last season has seen KP miss a lot of games through injury and that has pushes his price down (a bit like how there were reports of teams interested in Bamford for around £25m but how much would we get if we sold him now?). He also hasn't played to his best for either us or England this year.

So it's probably a fair deal for all concerned. If he gets back to his best and stays relatively injury free then City have got a bargain. If his injury problems continue to plague him (and he has had injuries problems throughout his 4 years as a regular) or if he cannot get back to his best form then we've done a good deal.

City can afford the gamble. I don't think we can. It showed last season how poor we were with him being out injured. Hopefully we spend the money wisely and get one or two players that are decent in the position and also less injury prone. Having someone who is only 80% as good as KP but plays 20% more matches than KP played balances it out. Having someone who can play 80% as well as KP but is fit for the full season makes us a better team than last season.
I couldn't agree more.
For the season he had, injured a lot of the time and not particularly good when he did play then I think we did alright out of the deal.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Mountain wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:20 pm If they gave me the largest microscope in the world they couldn't measure my disinterest in him doing well or how how career goes. I feel a bit like when Kewell left. We don't get as much as we should, player and agent laughing all the way to the bank, f**k 'em.
100% agree Mountain :ok:

He's turned his back on us and is no longer one of us.

Disappointed we've lost one of our best players and assets for peanuts and have basically got shafted yet again.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

When you remember that Orta and co have pissed away £101 million on Rodrigo, JKA, Llorente, James and Firpo then it's easy to understand why they are desperate to flog KP and Raphinha to the first bidder.

Out meagre funds have generally been invested very poorly. Hence, we're having to flog our prize assets to improve a squad that is inadequate at this level.

Let's hope these clowns get it right this time.
andrewjohnsmith
Manager
Manager

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Do you think we'll have that money to spend? Or has it already been spent on the 3 summer signings?
We've been through it all together. And we've had our ups and downs
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

White Riot wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:59 am When you remember that Orta and co have pissed away £101 million on Rodrigo, JKA, Llorente, James and Firpo then it's easy to understand why they are desperate to flog KP and Raphinha to the first bidder.
Frankly, as they say here in Ireland, I'd rather the steam of Firpo's piss than Phillips now. Same for James, Llorente and Rodrigo.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Mountain wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:05 am Frankly, as they say here in Ireland, I'd rather the steam of Firpo's piss than Phillips now. Same for James, Llorente and Rodrigo.
True, in that they want to play for the club and will have my full support as long as they're wearing our shirt.

However, when you have limited financial resources to invest in a club that's trying to establish itself at this level after a long hiatus, what Orta and co have done with those resources is criminal and it was clearly evident last season that our squad lacks quality and depth.

We'll soon see whether the KP and Raphinha money is gonna be invested wisely.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:02 am Do you think we'll have that money to spend? Or has it already been spent on the 3 summer signings?
I'm hoping they will invest in some quality players to further improve the squad.

The solution to our lack of depth and quality at LB, LW and CF was to recruit James and Firpo, so we saw how well that went last season :shock:
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Tyzy wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:20 pm A cast off none the less, that's all we seem to sign these days
Barca are preparing a few more for us as part of the Raphinha deal :lol:

I can hear the music from The Sting playing :roll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJxtHEypPJk
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Jimang wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:30 pm Feel I should add something meaningful to the debate, but I am just that pissed off I can't come up with anything. I just somehow thought it was normal business practice to drive the hardest bargain you can for your biggest assets.
It is mate :tup:

But in our case, when the first bid comes in Radz and co are like Pavlov's dog "Yes, please and oh we want to sincerely apologize for not giving him to you for free. As a good will gesture you can give us some of your shite and we'll pay top dollar for it. Pretty please Pep"

Make me fookin puke these cnuts :sick:

Jack's reaction on Youtube sums things up very well :clap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE8McA1KI7Y
Prisoner37
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Prisoner37 »

Yep, definitely looking like we have rolled over again.
Brighton played hardball with us over Ben White, waited a bit, then got £50m.

Just hope Radz is not just desperate to cover the new signings costs as soon as he could.

Anyhow; thank you Kalvin and wish you all the best in beating Scum twice a season.
Scoobychief
First Team
First Team

Post by Scoobychief »

so they Nick Phillips from us for 45m and instead of throwing in this kid Darko Gyabi they actually get us to fork out 5m for this 18yr old who will be playing for the under 23.
Cumbriarents
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Cumbriarents »

Is it not between 45-50 million? Jesus just went for 45m, is Phillips better than him?
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

Cumbriarents wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:49 am Is it not between 45-50 million? Jesus just went for 45m, is Phillips better than him?
jesus just had a year left on his contract
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

Former Manchester United defender Wes Brown admitted he would worry for Leeds United’s survival chances if they were to sell Kalvin Phillips and Raphinha this summer.

Obvious this was the kind of crap ex players and pundits would come out with, such an easy thoughtless statement to make. you would think as people who know the game there would be some consideration given for the fact we had a torrid time with injuries last year and the fact we can bring in replacements to make us a more rounded squad rather than relying on two players.
Madron
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Madron »

WhiteRose wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:57 am Former Manchester United defender Wes Brown admitted he would worry for Leeds United’s survival chances if they were to sell Kalvin Phillips and Raphinha this summer.

Obvious this was the kind of crap ex players and pundits would come out with, such an easy thoughtless statement to make. you would think as people who know the game there would be some consideration given for the fact we had a torrid time with injuries last year and the fact we can bring in replacements to make us a more rounded squad rather than relying on two players.
I agree with him. If Raph goes I'd be very worried.
WestgateRun
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by WestgateRun »

£42M isn't bad for someone who spent a lot of time in the treatment room last season.
It may well turn out that the high point of Kalvin's career was the first season back in the Premier League and the Euros.
Can't blame him for taking a big money move, given his recent injury record.
Last edited by WestgateRun on Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

I thought 50M sounded about right, so not too unhappy with the final amount. I guess JM needed him moved on to bring in players to suit his own needs. I do think Marsch will be leading the transfer policy with Rads just facilitating it.... Orta will have nothing to do with player sales...
Cry Summerville and let slip the dogs of war
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

More interested in the supposed 5 M for the 18 yr old
Cry Summerville and let slip the dogs of war
Finnatic
First Team
First Team

Post by Finnatic »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:02 am Do you think we'll have that money to spend? Or has it already been spent on the 3 summer signings?
The three we bought total roughly the figure we got for Philips, so I would think that has been already spent.

The figure we got isn’t bad if you factor in his injuries etc, but why didn’t we say “ok, but throw in Darko and it’s a deal” rather than give one of the richest clubs in the world 5m back for an eighteen year old.
That’s the annoyance for me regarding the whole deal.
Finnatic
First Team
First Team

Post by Finnatic »

The three we bought total roughly the figure we got for Philips, so I would think that has been already spent.

The figure we got isn’t bad if you factor in his injuries etc, but why didn’t we say “ok, but throw in Darko and it’s a deal” rather than give one of the richest clubs in the world 5m back for an eighteen year old.
That’s the annoyance for me regarding the whole deal.