MOTforum best Stand Up Comic poll

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

MOTforum best Stand Up Comic poll

Post by Cjay »

Given the next poll a lot of thought and wanted to move away from Music for the next one.

Didn't want to do football or sport as that is being discussed in plenty of places.

So thought about actors but felt it would be to large a poll and I don't want to clog up the forum.

So settled on this if there is enough interest.

So nominate the person who YOU feel is the best stand up comedian of all time and deserves to be in contention

In order to try and make sure this poll doesn't get to out of control whilst understanding people may have multiple nominations and favourites.

EACH PERSON MAY NOMINATE A MAXIMUM OF 5 PEOPLE.

NOMINATION TIME WILL END 3 DAYS FROM THIS POST AT EXACTLY THE SAME TIME AS THE TIMESTAMP ON THIS POST.

NOMINATIONS MUST HAVE A WELL KNOWN AND TRACEABLE STAND UP CAREER.

DONT HAVE TO BE MASSIVELY FAMOUS BUT IF I AM UNABLE TO FIND CLIPS THEN THEY WILL BE AT A DISADVANTAGE IN THE POLL

THEY CAN BE FAMOUS FOR MULTIPLE THINGS BUT ONE OF THOSE NEEDS TO BE RELEVANT TO THE POLL

NOMINATION POSTS TO JUST CONTAIN THE NAME OF YOUR NOMINATION PLEASE.

CHAT AND DISCUSS IN THIS THREAD BY ALL MEANS BUT TO MAKE IT EASIER FOR ME JUST YOUR NOMINATION NAME IN A POST BY ITSELF
Last edited by Cjay on Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @richleeds64

Re: MOTforum best Stand Up Comic poll

Post by rich_leeds64 »

Peter Kay
Milton Jones
Sarah Millican
Lee Evans
Harry Hill
March712
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by March712 »

Bernard Manning
Mike Reid
Billy Connolly
Lee Evans
Jimmy Carr
hector

Post by hector »

Jim Davidson
Jasper Carrot
Chubby Brown
Bob Monkhouse
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Chris Rock
Bill Hicks
Richard Pryor
Eddie Murphy
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Dave Allen (sit down comic) :lol:
Eric Morecambe
Tommy Cooper
Michael McIntyre
Dick Emery
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Kevin Bridges
Peter Kay
Micky Flanagan
Frankie Boyle
Jimmy Carr
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

Dammit - Hicks and Pryor gone, Cooper gone

Mitch Hedberg
Ricky Gervais
Dylan Moran
Michelle Wolf
Sean Lock
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Can't believe i've not seen Micky Flanagan yet, i find most of todays shyte shyte, but he stands head and shoulders above the likes of Carr etc, boring fckers as far as i'm concerned.

Billy Connolly
Micky Flanagan.
Chubby.
Freddie Starr.
Ricky Gervais.

Cannon and Ball used to make me laugh out loud as a kid, well more Ball to be precise, always tickled me him for some reason.
Last edited by Kennyb41 on Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Sorry Muppet just seen yours.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Kennyb41 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:38 am Can't believe i've not seen Micky Flanagan yet, i find most of todays shyte shyte, but he stands head and shoulders above the likes of Carr etc, boring fckers as far as i'm concerned.

Billy Connolly
Micky Flanagan.
Chubby.
Freddie Starr.
Bernard Manning
He's there if you look you blind git, Kenny ;-) :lol:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Mountain wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:38 am Dammit - Hicks and Pryor gone, Cooper gone

Mitch Hedberg
Ricky Gervais
Dylan Moran
Michelle Wolf
Sean Lock
That's a good thing...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

Kennyb41 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:38 am Can't believe i've not seen Micky Flanagan yet,
He is good alright, far better than the awful Michael McIntyre, Jack Whitehall and Russell Howard safe cutesy humour clogging up the tv these days.

Every single joke seems to start with "my mother/wife/kid is like SEWWWWWW middle class, the other day she said..."
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

George Carlin
Billy Connolly
Frankie Boyle
Kevin Bridges
Chubby Brown

All great, but Georg Carlin is the king of comedy for me and a genius. Sadly departed, RIP.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Mountain wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:52 am He is good alright, far better than the awful Michael McIntyre, Jack Whitehall and Russell Howard safe cutesy humour clogging up the tv these days.

Every single joke seems to start with "my mother/wife/kid is like SEWWWWWW middle class, the other day she said..."
McIntyre is very funny imo, like Tommy Cooper, he doesn't have to say anything to make me laugh.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Kinhell !! I have to turn the tele over everytime i just hear McIntyres voice and that Alan somebody, and Jimmy Carrs laugh needs a fist down his throat.

;@)
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Of the older end for me, it would be a toss up between Tommy Cooper or Bob Monkhouse. Tommy, as you say 64 could make you laugh by just appearing he didn’t have to say anything. But he was very reliant on props rather than being purely a gags man. Bob Monkhouse on the other hand, as well as having the sharpest wit, was a masterful deliverer of very funny gags.

Lee Mack, who has become more well known for being a panelist on “would I lie to you” and writing and acting in sitcoms was and still is a superb stand up comic. He is brilliantly quick witted as shown on “would I lie to you” and a very good situation comedy writer as indicated by the first half dozen or so series of “Not Going Out” although it’s now we’ll past it’s sell by date - typical BBC to keep plugging away.

Ricky Gervais another brilliant and inventive comedic all rounder, superb and fearless stand up and excruciatingly funny sitcom writer.

Peter Kay a good modern, down to earth, northern (although from the wrong side of the Pennines) stand up comedian par excellence. A story teller really (rather than a gags man) but with superb timing and an innate and flawless ability to work an audience. The gentle sitcom “Car Share” too was beautifully written and performed and one of the only good things the BBC have done for the last 10 years.

Jimmy Carr a fearless stand up comic who delivers well crafted routines impeccably and, like Ricky Gervais, doesn’t have to pander to the cancel mob.

So:
Bob Monkhouse
Lee Mack
Ricky Gervais
Peter Kay
Jimmy Carr

There are/have been, of course, lots of other very fine and very funny standup comedians over the years but I think, admittedly after relatively brief consideration, the above are the best of the best.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Lots of double nominations so far .... 4 of BBGG's have been proffered so far
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I'm waiting to see if any of my favourites are nominated allowing me to to go slightly more obscure. Bill Hicks, would be my #1 I think so glad he's in. Kevin Bridges is genius, the timing sublime, the accent wonderful. Also already nominated, 2 nominations saved. Love Pryor and Murphy, two more possible nominations saved there. Great work nick btw, never got into Chris Rock though. Cooper and Monkhouse we're the stand up geniuses of the 70's. Monkhouse had almost perfect recall of thousands of jokes and the speed to search his inner data base and find the right one... Cooper needed to be drunk but his physical comedy was second to none.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Laurel & Hardy
Spike Milligan
Jim Davidson
Chubby Brown
Bob Monkhouse
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"