Soap Box

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Soap Box

Post by whiteswan »

Anyone else sick and tired of sports people telling us what we should and shouldn't do.....and what we should think and shouldn't think. Laura Robson the latest.....hello! Exactly what did you achieve in tennis Laura? Who are you to have a go? Go away now, retire nicely...I had so much respect for you. British no. 1, Olympic silver doubles with Andy? Enough....!
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Soap Box

Post by Chilli D »

I didn't hear what she said Swannie, can you elaborate?
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Chilli D wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:53 am I didn't hear what she said Swannie, can you elaborate?
Moaning about too much tennis, players back and forth across the planet, schedule needs changing blah blah, Who do these people think they are? It really gets on my chimes all this spouting off.......just get on and do what your paid for...

You did ask Chilli :lol:
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Deep breaths Swan, don't be smashing the tele, it passes trust me.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

He says 14 teles later.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Changnoy
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Changnoy »

whiteswan wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:28 am Anyone else sick and tired of sports people telling us what we should and shouldn't do.....and what we should think and shouldn't think. Laura Robson the latest.....hello! Exactly what did you achieve in tennis Laura? Who are you to have a go? Go away now, retire nicely...I had so much respect for you. British no. 1, Olympic silver doubles with Andy? Enough....!
Lewis Hamilton :evil: :twisted: :rant:

I was a big fan and proud he represented us....until he became Ser Kneelalot and dragged the sport down to the gutter.
His latest rant about "old people"....is blatantly discriminatory....which he should be ashamed of as he is always beating that drum.
To single out any particular group....just because of certain comments he disagrees with from two old men....is as wrong as the racism he wants to fight.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Changnoy wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:49 am Lewis Hamilton :evil: :twisted: :rant:

I was a big fan and proud he represented us....until he became Ser Kneelalot and dragged the sport down to the gutter.
His latest rant about "old people"....is blatantly discriminatory....which he should be ashamed of as he is always beating that drum.
To single out any particular group....just because of certain comments he disagrees with from two old men....is as wrong as the racism he wants to fight.
Wasn't he just responding to Piquet's racist remark though.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Changnoy wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:49 am Lewis Hamilton :evil: :twisted: :rant:

I honestly think Lewis might have remained World Champion last year had he concentrated on his racing rather than all his soap box stuff.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

When you have Ecclestone making comments such as he would ' take a bullet ' for his buddy, Putin or when you think of the comment he once made that he has admiration for how Hitler got things done, then he deserves all the flak coming his way quite frankly. Ditto Piquet with his racist comments.

However I agree that LH's comments which were directed at Ecclestone and Piquet should not have been couched in ageist terms. Unfortunately ageism is very rife in the UK - we have a bit of a fetish about youth in this country, as though youth equates automatically with all that is good. I've heard quite a few ageist remarks from millenials about the baby boom generation in recent years. And of course baby boomers sometimes refer to millenials as ' snowflakes. '

Ageism is a weird form of prejudice really, as it's the only prejudice whereby the person who has the prejudice eventually becomes that which they are prejudiced against. Unfortunately not many people are independent thinkers, so they tend to just think with the herd.
Last edited by CHAPELALLMAN on Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:40 am, edited 4 times in total.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

whiteswan wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:26 pm I honestly think Lewis might have remained World Champion last year had he concentrated on his racing rather than all his soap box stuff.
He would have been WDC last season if Masi had not made up his own ad hoc rules one lap from the end of the title decider. There's no other reason, as Lewis was on fire in the last few races - winning four on the trot, including coming from dead last on the grid to win in Brazil. He beat Verstapppen to the first corner, and lead every lap except one in the 5th race until Masi decided to let Red Bull dictate to him how to deploy the safety car, and in doing so ripped up the FIA sporting regulations. Can you imagine a team being 4-0 up with 10 minutes to go when the referee suddenly says ' next goal wins it ' ? Lewis was 11 seconds ahead of Verstappen when the SC came out four laps from the end.

Even Horner has now admitted after 6 months that Masi made a mistake in Abu Dhabi. And of course the FIA report referred to ' human error ' which is an admission that the race director got it all wrong.

There's just no other reason that LH was not crowned WDC last season - for a 37 year old taking part in his 15th season in F! his self-motivation was incredible. Most top drivers have never been able to keep up that intensity for that long in a career. Rosberg retired straight after winning the title - he couldn't keep up the intensity to compete with Lewis for even one season longer, and he had to push himself to his absolute mental and physical limits to pull off the title in that one season - he said this himself. Rosberg was a top F1 driver, but he also needed Lewis to have an engine failure in one of the last races in Malaysia when leading to win that title. That cost Lewis 25 points and the title.

With a bit more luck ( no engine failure in Malaysia 2016, or McLaren keeping him out on bald tyres in China 2007) plus Masi following the rulebook,Lewis could very easily have 10 WDCs.

I'm not that enthused by the causes that Lewis promotes outside of the racing, however as a F1 driver he's a force of nature, and arguably the GOAT. I'm only really interested in what he gets up to in the car though.
Changnoy
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Changnoy »

faaip wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:43 pm Wasn't he just responding to Piquet's racist remark though.
And Ecclescakes remarks about PooTin.
But that doesnt give him the right to discriminate against ALL old people as he implies.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

I do agree that Lewis was cheated out of a win that last race and I was absolutely gutted watching it all unfold, but I still think that Lewis wouldn't have been in that position of having to win the last race had he focused more throughout the season on his racing rather than other stuff.

Just my opinion mind because I do get fed up with folk at the top of their game using their platform to spout at us about their issues and expect everyone to Kowtow to them. Not just sports people, musicians are guilty of it as well. Vegetarians showing photos of slaughterhouses to their audience for example.....
hector

Post by hector »

what these ageist young snowflakes need to realise is:

we have made it to being old.... there is no guarantee that they will...... :mrgreen:
whiteinfrance
First Team
First Team

Post by whiteinfrance »

And we've seen all the best bits of United that they haven't !! ;-)
Allez les Blancs , Les Paons
hector

Post by hector »

whiteinfrance wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:32 am And we've seen all the best bits of United that they haven't !! ;-)
Some (no names mentioned '64 White) more than others of us.... :) :)
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

hector wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:20 am what these ageist young snowflakes need to realise is:

we have made it to being old.... there is no guarantee that they will...... :mrgreen:
We've done and forgot more than most of them ever will :tup:
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"