Too much too soon or... (two more done deals + 1 to go)?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Victor_Notts-17
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Too much too soon or... (two more done deals + 1 to go)?

Post by Victor_Notts-17 »

According to the YEP, Adams and Sinsterra are done deals (see https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... id-3756147)! Also heard that De Ketelaere is to follow. Are we changing too much too sooon or is this the overhaul we needed? Where are we still weak? LB + Striker are 2 positions I feel we need to strengthen. Don't get me wrong: I am so excited by Greenwood/Geldhardt but are they ready? I personally think they are but if they aren't.....
Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Re: Too much too soon or... (two more done deals + 1 to go)?

Post by Scoobychief »

certainly not chasing too much too soon, that should have been done last summer its wether those players will gell in time and our good enough, we wont know this until season starts, certainly need a couple more yet with the departure of raphinha, we need a striker not as a back up but a decent striker with bamford maybe a backup, but apparently Marsh likes to play wit 2 strikers so should be interesting, so for me a sriker and a left back along with the 2 you mentioned as allmost done deals.
RobbieLeeds
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by RobbieLeeds »

I think we all could agree (might be asking for a lot on this forum here) when we said we needed more squad depth following last season and I think it’s for the best that the squad is completed, or close to being completed as soon as possible.. if we get all our business done by the opening game, would be superb
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Hopefully bedding too many players in too soon won't be unsettling.

Ideally changes should have occurred on a gradual basis but it pretty obvious the funds were unavailable to bring a couple of more players in last summer.

At least Jesse & his team will have a good month to work on the squad this time as we were clearly not ready in our pre-season last year.

Still think we require another quality striker & LB, on top of the newbies arriving this week.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

It doesn't matter (that's if we can afford it???) how many, the more the merrier (if we can afford it???)

We've already got to adapt to a new manager and system, so what can go wrong with 6 new players.

We're in the lap of the gods, roll those dice, it's only the Prem after all, new players, new system, new manager.

Same old clown.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Johnboy1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Johnboy1965 »

We're playing catchup on being negligent in the past few windows.
Need to be careful that we don't go too far the other way and getting shed loads of players in based on you tube highlights!
Team does needs a overhaul though as we were dire for most of last season.
Still look a bit lightweight for my liking and need a LB/LWB and someone who can put the ball in the net.
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

Re quality the jury’s out until we see the jelling (gelling?) process, and that won’t take place in short time. As Jb65 says above, we’re playing catch up, in an area we all know was desperately short in numbers. So for me the answer to Victors opener is no, not too much too soon.
Maybe though after last season’s thrift it’s too much far too late
Last edited by Orange Box on Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

The main concern for me is the players coming from leagues well below the PL, can't beat the PL experienced players, Yes, we have some, but they struggled because we haven't a kingpin in amongst us.
Hopefully they will all gel with a few friendlies under their collective belts, the ones that are staying might suddenly realise their place is now under threat and pull their socks up and dig a little deeper.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

mentalcase wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:22 am The main concern for me is the players coming from leagues well below the PL, can't beat the PL experienced players, Yes, we have some, but they struggled because we haven't a kingpin in amongst us.
Hopefully they will all gel with a few friendlies under their collective belts, the ones that are staying might suddenly realise their place is now under threat and pull their socks up and dig a little deeper.
These new signings may galvanize some of our players who were disappointing last season.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Over the last two seasons Leeds are the 11th best EPL club (out of 23,) 3 points behind Villa and one below Everton. Any luck at all last season and we'd be closer to Leicester

We're ahead of Brighton, Wolves, Newcastle and CP....
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Tyzy
First Team
First Team

Post by Tyzy »

I feel we seem to be increasing the squad size with any 2nd rate bargain basement players we can lay are hands on,hope it all works out 🙈Still no striker mentioned, how many wingers do we have on the books ?.
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

faaip wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:12 am Over the last two seasons Leeds are the 11th best EPL club (out of 23,) 3 points behind Villa and one below Everton. Any luck at all last season and we'd be closer to Leicester

We're ahead of Brighton, Wolves, Newcastle and CP....
Ah yes, this arbitrary concept called luck again. Well applying that logic, we were lucky not to have been relegated.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

This definitely feels like the beginning of a new era.

The last four years have been amazing.

So many emotions and most of them generated by Marcelo and the wonderful patterns he drew on the pitch.

Players we came to know so well, team sheets we could predict, anger at the team and manager one week, unbridled joy the next and all build around Phillips, Bamford, Cooper, Harrison, Kilch, and of course Dallas. And of course that crazy man sitting on his bucket. Quiet. Controlled. We knew where we were with those guys in leading us
These were constants , anchors which kept is stable through Spygate, Villagate, Playoff devastation. Kiko Casilla and his ban. Andreas on Twitter, Orta and his binoculars and fighting with the fans, Kinnear and his fortnightly tosh in the matchday program.

Koch, LLorente James and to some extent Raph and Mes and the youngers lads were not as much part of the story and they all remain, too as as will most of those mentioned, going ahead we will have a new identity.

Now we have Jesse and his mad ideas, but it looks like he is bringing all his mates for along too.

The change will be dramatic, will it work? It feels like Football Manager with a cheatcode for £££££££££££££££££££££s.

It WILL be different, it is a lot of new faces, a lot of new ideas to absorb for us as well as the squad.

Someone once said that playing leeds was like going to the dentists, I think now we will feel like we are the ones sitting in the chair, unsure as to how long this process will take, uncomfortable for the main.

I think it we will stay up. Will it be fun the way it was? It depends what you want I suppose.

Patience is required.

Patience and a good striker to come in. ( Look to Morelos in Scotland Orta, he is there and would be a snip at £20M)
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Irish Ian wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:28 pm This definitely feels like the beginning of a new era.

The last four years have been amazing.

So many emotions and most of them generated by Marcelo and the wonderful patterns he drew on the pitch.

Players we came to know so well, team sheets we could predict, anger at the team and manager one week, unbridled joy the next and all build around Phillips, Bamford, Cooper, Harrison, Kilch, and of course Dallas. And of course that crazy man sitting on his bucket. Quiet. Controlled. We knew where we were with those guys in leading us
These were constants , anchors which kept is stable through Spygate, Villagate, Playoff devastation. Kiko Casilla and his ban. Andreas on Twitter, Orta and his binoculars and fighting with the fans, Kinnear and his fortnightly tosh in the matchday program.

Koch, LLorente James and to some extent Raph and Mes and the youngers lads were not as much part of the story and they all remain, too as as will most of those mentioned, going ahead we will have a new identity.

Now we have Jesse and his mad ideas, but it looks like he is bringing all his mates for along too.

The change will be dramatic, will it work? It feels like Football Manager with a cheatcode for £££££££££££££££££££££s.

It WILL be different, it is a lot of new faces, a lot of new ideas to absorb for us as well as the squad.

Someone once said that playing leeds was like going to the dentists, I think now we will feel like we are the ones sitting in the chair, unsure as to how long this process will take, uncomfortable for the main.

I think it we will stay up. Will it be fun the way it was? It depends what you want I suppose.

Patience is required.

Patience and a good striker to come in. ( Look to Morelos in Scotland Orta, he is there and would be a snip at £20M)
Cracking post
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:10 am These new signings may galvanize some of our players who were disappointing last season.
Yep, until we can get rid ;-)

Sooner we get the dross cleared out the better :)
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

+1 on Ian's post, excellent (though I'm not convinced Morelos would cut it in the Prem!).
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

White Riot wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:01 pm Yep, until we can get rid ;-)

Sooner we get the dross cleared out the better :)
Yes, indeed. I am sure if we still had Bielsa, he'd be starting the season with them all. There we go, I might just have upset the Bielsa luvvies. 😫
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

mentalcase wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:22 am The main concern for me is the players coming from leagues well below the PL, can't beat the PL experienced players, Yes, we have some, but they struggled because we haven't a kingpin in amongst us.
Yeah MC, a leader like a Billy Bremner, or a Roy Keane would be great.

I don't really buy into the EPL experience mantra, for instance Tyler Roberts, Rodrigo, Klich, Forshaw and Dan James have EPL experience, but no EPL sides are knocking our door down for that crew :) So has Harry Winks, Ashley Barnes, Sean Longstaff, Tim Krull, etc. Good quality EPL players cost a fortune, and I don't feel the club is yet at the level to be able to shop for them, but we will get there.

If the players are good enough quality they will succeed at this level, even if they have no EPL experience e.g. Raphinha, Gelhardt, Meslier, Son at Spurs, Kante, Olise at CP. So that's what I feel is more important, the quality of the player, regardless of where they arrive from. e.g. given the choice of Lukaku, or Mikhail Antonio, or Rashford, etc, I'd rather stick with Bamford than pay a fortune for some lazy, non-performing shite :poo:

Jesse's job is to coach these players and get a tune out of them and I believe he will.

With the old guard, I'll be delighted to see the back of them. They have commanded first team football due to a small squad, lack of quality and consequent lack of competition for places. Those days are over, thank fook. The process has begun of improving the squad with better quality players and saying goodbye to those who should have been discarded a while ago.

Exciting times mate 8-)
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Overman wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:16 pm Yes, indeed. I am sure if we still had Bielsa, he'd be starting the season with them all. There we go, I might just have upset the Bielsa luvvies. 😫
He would for sure OM, we'd be looking at a midfield of Forshaw, Klich and Roberts, Leeds 0 Wolves 5, and singing "Championship here we come" :lol:

Yeah, try not to upset the Bielsa Bunnyboilers they're still in mourning over him not getting the Athletic Bilbao job ;-)
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

I get your point. And yet people around here would rather have Camara over Adams. Even though Adams is the ONLY player among the current signings that is established in a top 5 league and the Champion's League. But he's the one they don't rate. :lol:
Football/Futbol/Soccer