Leeds Utd 2-1 Wolves Match Thread - TSB at their best with Wolves rants.

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Match Thread Leeds Utd 2-1 Wolves Match Thread - TSB at their best with Wolves rants.

Post by Ellandback1 »

Saturday 6th August 3:00 pm | Elland Road

Revenge will be on Bruno Lage's mind, as Leeds welcome Wolverhampton Wanderers to Elland Road on Saturday for the 2022/23 season opener. Wolves feel aggrieved, having only picked up one point against the Whites last season, having been firmly on top during both matches.

A share of the spoils, courtesy of a 94th minute penalty from Rodrigo may have been difficult to take, but the reverse fixture at the Molyneux was truly bizarre. Wolves were coasting. They were 2-0 up, dominating possession, and with 37 minutes left on the clock, defeat for Leeds looked inevitable. Then, a rash challenge from Raul Jimenez on Illan Meslier led to the Mexican forward being sent off. With nothing to lose, Leeds attacked in numbers, and within fifteen minutes, they were level. An injury time winner from Ayling completed a miserable night for Wolves, and elation for Leeds.

Jesse Marsch will be without seven key players. Summer signing, Luis Sinisterra has a hamstring injury, which he sustained during his first start for Leeds (v Crystal Palace a fortnight ago). Adam Forshaw injured his knee during the same game, but both are expected back in time squad for the visit of Chelsea in just under three weeks.

Liam Cooper is making good progress. He has returned to training this week, having missed the whole of pre-season with an Achilles issue. As soon as he regains his fitness, he'll be back in the squad. Junior Firpo picked up a knee injury against Blackpool, but is on course to resume light duties next week, ready for a return against Brighton or Everton towards the end of the month.

Fans favourite Luke Ayling has made good progress following knee surgery, at the end of last season. It is expected though, that we won't see him for another month whilst he works with Rob Price on a strict rehabilitation program. Stuart Dallas remains Leeds only long term injury concern, having broken his femur against Manchester City towards the end of last season. Dan James misses out due to suspension.

Leeds fans hope to see a fully fit Patrick Bamford back this season. The soon-to-be 29yo, capped off his pre-season with a scintillating performance, which resulted in two goals; his first in 2022. He looks set to lead the line, partnering hat-trick hero Rodrigo. Summer signings Kristensen, Adams, Roca and Aaronson are all expected to start. The void at left back is due to filled by Struijk.

Wolves will be without Matija Sarkic (hamstring), Nelson Semedo (hamstring), Adama Traore (hamstring),
Raul Jimenez (groin) and Chiquinho (knee). New signings Nathan Collins (£22m from Burnley) and South Korean forward Hee-chan Hwang (£15m from RB Leipzig following a successful loan period) are both expected to start for the West Midlands outfit, as Bruno Lage plots revenge against the Whites for last season.

Stream games live this season with the protection of NordVPN with our dicounted rate...

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Leeds Utd v Wolverhampton Wanderers Match Thread

Post by 1964white »

No doubt, Bruno Lage is training his players to foul & fall to the ground in a sequenced order break up our play & to avoid too many yellow cards, wasting as much time as possible. This lot were as bad as Villa last season.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

1964white wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:16 pm No doubt, Bruno Lage is training his players to foul & fall to the ground in a sequenced order break up our play & to avoid too many yellow cards, wasting as much time as possible. This lot were as bad as Villa last season.
No doubt. I feel that our players need to be a little clever, just like Ayling. He has mastered the flop. Why don't other Leeds players use it. It's not cheating. It's fighting fire with fire!!!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:33 pm No doubt. I feel that our players need to be a little clever, just like Ayling. He has mastered the flop. Why don't other Leeds players use it. It's not cheating. It's fighting fire with fire!!!
Hopefully we'll be more ruthless in the future!
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Ruthless is the word I was looking for. As Brian Deane said during our interview, a lot of our bookings from last season were unnecessary - if you're going to get booked, make sure you.....

:chair:
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Realistically I think we should be looking to beat Wolves.

Strange team.

Don't score many goals averaging only 1 a game last season.

On paper they had a really good defence and that is why they finished where they did.

But Jose Sa made the 4th most saves last season and had the best xG against vs actual goals in the league.

He should have conceded nearly 20 goals more than he did meaning he was making great saves often.

So Wolves weren't actually defending well it was just the goalie was making great saves.

xG tables actually had Wolves as the 16th best team in the league last season.

We were ahead of them so were teams like Southampton and Villa.

So whilst many don't rate xG Premier League teams do use them to judge performance, Wolves didn't do well and were being saved by excellent individuals (Jose Sa generally).

It's asking a lot of Sa to keep performing miracles and so I don't see why we can't be expecting to beat them.
Last edited by Cjay on Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

They are without a striker.

They have plenty of injury issues and fitness worries with people like Semedo and Traore not featuring.

Sa himself has only just come back from an injury from last season to so is likely rusty.

In theory now is a great time to play a weakened Wolves.

Only concern is they are decent on the break and someone like Neto will relish our high line.

If we can stop them catching us on the break then we definitely have a chance.
Signed

King Cjay

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:52 pm They are without a striker.

They have plenty of injury issues and fitness worries with people like Semedo and Traore not featuring.

Sa himself has only just come back from an injury from last season to so is likely rusty.

In theory now is a great time to play a weakened Wolves.

Only concern is they are decent on the break and someone like Neto will relish our high line.

If we can stop them catching us on the break then we definitely have a chance.
Apparently Hee-chan Hwang has only played in one friendly game so is unlikely to start,
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

1964white wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:05 pm Apparently Hee-chan Hwang has only played in one friendly game so is unlikely to start,
I think he was on loan with them last season
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Well here we are, D day has arrived!

A win would be nice (at home against an injury hit Wolves, we should have a good chance surely!) but failing that a decent display - I’m not expecting miracles but hoping for enough of a performance to give us a bit of confidence for the coming season.

Come on Leeds!
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

---------------------Meslier----------------------
Kristensen---Koch---Llorente---Struijk
-------------Roca---------Adams--------------
Aarsonson------Rodrigo-------Harrison
--------------------Bamford--------------------
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

Ellandback1 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:02 am ---------------------Meslier----------------------
Kristensen---Koch---Llorente---Struijk
-------------Roca---------Adams--------------
Aarsonson------Rodrigo-------Harrison
--------------------Bamford--------------------
Struijk at left back, doesn't really work, but neither does Firpo. Rodrigo really needs to step up this season, no more excuses.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Sunday's starting 11 is our strongest available side.

A couple of worries..
If in the defense if we need to sub one of the CBs but in the middle there isn't much on the bench. Up front we look stronger, let's hope we create some early chances and set the tone right.
Secondly our new lads esp Roca getting carried away in the atmosphere and picking up a red card. Jesse will have them fired up as will the crowd.

I'm really looking forward to this today.

The real beginning of a new dispensation with Jesse having what he considers his players playing his way.

Noone expects us to do well. Let's show the pundits, bookies and all the other know it alls we have something here.
The sum is always greater than its parts.

If you are going to the game, have a great one!

Come on Leeds!
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
whiteinfrance
First Team
First Team

Post by whiteinfrance »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:12 pm Ruthless is the word I was looking for. As Brian Deane said during our interview, a lot of our bookings from last season were unnecessary - if you're going to get booked, make sure you.....

:chair:
We had a woman called Ruth in our quiz team a couple of years ago. She got poached by another team!

So when we had to give our team name I suggested RUTHLESS :twisted:
Allez les Blancs , Les Paons
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Setting off to ER in half an hour.

Last season I couldn't wait for it to end, can't wait for the new campaign to commence :-D
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:16 pm No doubt, Bruno Lage is training his players to foul & fall to the ground in a sequenced order break up our play & to avoid too many yellow cards, wasting as much time as possible. This lot were as bad as Villa last season.
Yeah, it's a proven formula Leon, Burnley were also masters of this stuff, but thankfully they got relegated.

Funnily enough, I was talking to a Burnley season ticket holder (imagine that pleasure) in the week before the last matches last season. He was full of we're gonna thrash Newcastle, etc, :roll:

I just kept it quiet and didn't let him know I'm a Leeds supporter, but at the time I thought "Pride comes before a fall" and it did :lol:

I still think it's up to the ref, linesmen and VAR to stamp out the cheating, even retrospectively. If they're not prepared to do that then we need to be the best at cheating ;-)

I like the way Jesse and our new culture will get at the ref and linesmen to influence decisions :clap:

Enough with the fair play bullshit :poo:
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:01 am Setting off to ER in half an hour.

Last season I couldn't wait for it to end, can't wait for the new campaign to commence :-D
Good luck Leon, let's hope that positive feeling lasts :)
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Overman wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:20 am Struijk at left back, doesn't really work, but neither does Firpo. Rodrigo really needs to step up this season, no more excuses.
Yeah, we're as slow as fook at the back, look at how Cagliari tore through us.

If Radz is thinking Firpo/Struijk are the answer at LB he's having a laugh. They'll get tore a new one every week. Struijk is a CB end of. Firpo, I've no idea what he is, but certainly not a footballer.

We don't have quality midfield cover on the bench, unless Darko is a good un :duno:

Rodrigo flatters to deceive, one performance against piss poor opposition doesn't convince me at all.

We're also short of cover up top :(

Other than that it's all good man :)
velo
Manager
Manager

Post by velo »

White Riot wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:05 am Yeah, we're as slow as fook at the back, look at how Cagliari tore through us.

If Radz is thinking Firpo/Struijk are the answer at LB he's having a laugh. They'll get tore a new one every week. Struijk is a CB end of. Firpo, I've no idea what he is, but certainly not a footballer.

We don't have quality midfield cover on the bench, unless Darko is a good un :duno:

Rodrigo flatters to deceive, one performance against piss poor opposition doesn't convince me at all.

We're also short of cover up top :(

Other than that it's all good man :)
Spot looking g through rose coloured glasses mate were cannon folder again
Stop worryin' about what people say, when it ain't gonna stop them anyway.

Hater of Liars, Cheats and Trolls

Freedom of speech is not allowed if it upsets the mods