The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 12th August) - Leeds unlikely to sign a left back

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 12th August) - Leeds unlikely to sign a left back

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Friday 12th August, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Leeds unlikely to sign a left back

During his latest Q and A session, Elland Road journalist Beren Cross has stated that Leeds are unlikely to sign another left-back during this transfer window. The No 3 slot has been a constant problem for the Whites ever since Charlie Taylor departed for Turf Moor back in 2017. Leeds have tried a variety of players, but without long term success.

Leeds thought their prayers had been answered when they signed Junior Firpo from Barcelona last Summer for £12m, but injuries, and inconsistent performances soon put that premise to bed. The former Spain U21 International was sidelined once again last month after a promising start to pre-season. This prompted the ER hierarchy to be on the lookout for a back-up player, but with Firpo now back in training, it looks increasingly unlikely that Leeds will invest in another left back, especially when Pascal Struijk has looked solid in that position over the last couple of games (Cagliari and Wolves). According to Cross...

A left-back seems even less likely. There have been no credible links to anyone in the market and the closer we get to deadline day the closer we get to Junior Firpo’s return, which will be an irresistible carrot for the board, who evidently feel comfortable with Pascal Struijk as a back-up for the season.

Kalimuendo off to Rennes

PSG have confirmed that Arnaud Kalimuendo will be moving to Rennes this summer. The talented young Striker had been on Victor Orta's shopping list for a while, but Leeds never really showed any urgency to get the deal completed, indicating that their interest was lukewarm at best.

There is no doubt, that at only 20 years old, Kalimuendo has all the attributes to make it as a top marksman, but in the here and now, Jesse Marsch is prepared to bide his time. Money is not the issue; media reports indicate that Andrea Radrizzani has a war chest of £40m reserved for the right player!

Leeds to swoop for LA star?

Ecuadorian sporting media outlet Bola VIP have claimed that Leeds have made a £5m bid for Ecuadorian International Jose Cifuentes. The box to box midfielder currently applies his trade with Los Angeles FC in the MLS League, where he scored six goals and provided five assists last season. Napoli, Leicester City and Brighton & Hove Albion are all believed to be tracking the gifted 23yo, but it is Leeds who have struck first with an offer! If true, can we assume that Mateusz Klich will be on his way out of Elland Road in the next fortnight?

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 12th August) Leeds swoop for LA star

Post by 1964white »

Kalimuendo - this is the striker every blogger/transfer pundit told us would sign for Leeds if we missed out on the Kettle fella, some had one of these two signed up weeks ago. :roll: total b*llsh*t yet again.

I apologise for repeating myself, but I'll be somewhat surprised if we make any more significant signings.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 12th August) - Leeds unlikely to sign a left back

Post by Ratscoot »

Morning EB, Leon et all

Pundit 101 - Leeds need a LB, Leeds are signing a LB, no their not oh yes they are, he's behind you lots of laughter from the kids

Real life - Leeds need a LB, lets sign a midfielder, Leeds need a proven striker, lets sign a winger, but didn't we need a LB oh s**t sign a midfielder quick

Jose Cifuentes someone else I've never heard of more click bait I fear
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 12th August) - Leeds unlikely to sign a left back

Post by Irish Ian »

Lwb needs backup for sure.
Striker has its own challenges.
Bamford better be honest with the coaching staff too. If he still has pain he should fess up now.
Did I hear Jesse say yesterday that he thought Aaronson could play up top If needed?
He defo mentioned James. Which wasn't a success.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Right none of the above interest me at all, so does anyone want to discuss this rising inflation we have ?

:whistle:
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Aaronson started as click bait
Sinisterra started as click bait
Raphinha started as click bait

etc
etc
etc
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

We're not signing a left bck? But I thought even some lasses, yes that's right them female people, knew we needed to sign one? If lasses can see that we need one then we definitely need one.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

I don't think we're desperate for one, we'll be reet going forward when Firpo returns until he gets suspended :tup: as long as we don't need him to help out defending that is.

Salah might rip someone a new arsehole though.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Given that Stuey is long way off returning and, at his age even when he does return, he may not be the same player he was before he got injured. Given that Firpo is still injured and most of us are doubtful that he’s up to the job anyway. Given that Struijk is not naturally a left back but Marsch still prefers him in that position to Hjelde, who he presumably does not think is quite ready yet, then I would say a new left back, rather than a striker, should be the priority.

The midfield as it stands is ok imo so long as Klich stays.

Striker wise, I think we are well covered with Bamford, Gelhardt, Rodrigo, Greenwood, Harrison, James and now at a pinch Aaronson.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

LB is a major concern for me, although I'd prefer that fella from "my left foot" (DDL) to firpo, absolutely awful player, this time next year he'll be bombed out.
Struijk or Hjielde are far better, maybe not naturally, but, all round, still far better propositions.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Kennyb41 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:04 am Right none of the above interest me at all, so does anyone want to discuss this rising inflation we have ?

:whistle:
As long as Rising can play LWB. AMF. CF then yes bring it on
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

CLUB STATEMENT | FRONT OF SHIRT SPONSOR

Just now

Barnsley Football Club value our fans and our core beliefs above everything else.

Following recent events and a subsequent investigation, the Club has assessed its relationship with its front of shirt sponsor and has taken steps to end that relationship with immediate effect. The HEX.com logo will not appear on the team’s kits going forward.

Further comment will be issued in due course.
Rook
First Team
First Team

Post by Rook »

weasel wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:23 am We're not signing a left bck? But I thought even some lasses, yes that's right them female people, knew we needed to sign one? If lasses can see that we need one then we definitely need one.

:roflmao:
I smell blood and an era of prominent mad men - W.H. Auden
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Definitely been a change in tone regarding transfers from Marsch since he spoke to Radrizzani.

Pre that Marsch was clear we were chasing a left back and striker.

Now he doesn't mention left back and talks about the usual political waffle and talks up the pathway when discussing a striker.

I'd be surprised if we signed either.

Can absolutely see the board risking it again as they have shown they are happy to do before.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:20 am Aaronson started as click bait
Sinisterra started as click bait
Raphinha started as click bait

etc
etc
etc
Aaronson was always coming to Leeds.

Have to say I had never heard of Raphinha when we signed him.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

But there was click bait going back to before Jan
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:55 am Given that Stuey is long way off returning and, at his age even when he does return, he may not be the same player he was before he got injured. Given that Firpo is still injured and most of us are doubtful that he’s up to the job anyway. Given that Struijk is not naturally a left back but Marsch still prefers him in that position to Hjelde, who he presumably does not think is quite ready yet, then I would say a new left back, rather than a striker, should be the priority.

The midfield as it stands is ok imo so long as Klich stays.

Striker wise, I think we are well covered with Bamford, Gelhardt, Rodrigo, Greenwood, Harrison, James and now at a pinch Aaronson.

Hey BBGG,

Due to the World Cup there are only 15 EPL fixtures to play between now and the WC break. So I can guarantee Radz and the gang will be shaking the dice holder as we speak and planning on Stuey to be our LB solution if Firpo doesn't work out, Firpo, Struijk and Hjelde will get roasted on that left wing. So I agree priority should be a LB. But I doubt the club will make any further incoming transfers.

Decent cameos from Rodrigo and Klich last week, but from the evidence of the past two seasons I'm not convinced they're capable of consistently performing well at this level. It's like Tyro scoring for QPR against Charlton and all of a sudden he's the answer to all our prayers, not for me he isn't.

At striker we need to get away from the situation where Paddy is guaranteed to start if he's fit. Competition for places is a good thing. We've no other senior recognized striker in our third season in the EPL. So if he gets injured we could struggle up top. If we were prepared to pay 30million+ for CDK then why not spend 20million for Dennis, or Brereton Diaz, etc, they are scorers.

The first team squad has been improved this summer, but the improvements are insufficient so far.
rondownunder
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by rondownunder »

The low quality transfer rumours we have been subjected to this window are next level. Leeds, Forest, Newcastle and Everton have been linked with every player in every league. Feels to me the market is locked until Barcelona get their finances sorted and sell Frankie and Auba or not. This will free up Broja and various others and the weaker clubs will fight over these scraps like seagulls and hot chips. Broja would be the ideal loan to buy, but I just can't see it happening. Che Adams would be a helpful addition, but unless we sell Harrison, I can't see us pay over 20m for a striker. Hope I am wrong.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Hey !

What if we manage till the WC, and some Iraqi or the like LB absolutely steals the show and our clown snaps him up on the cheap in Jan, tha never knows tha knows, funny old game.

If we carry on buyin LB's at this rate, we're gonna look like a fookin shoe shop that only put their lefts on display outside.

;@)
Rover
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Rover »

We may be waiting for the final days of the window when clubs need some income; particularly Burnley! They've got an experienced LB that knows the club and could come cheap.

As for a striker; apparently Ollie Watkins has fallen foul of Gerrard. If we could afford CDK; Watkins could be attainable and would be serious competition or an ideal partner for Bamford.