How much is Illan Meslier really worth?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

How much is Illan Meslier really worth?

Post by YorkshireSquare »

There were rumours in the press this week that Manchester United were sniffing around Illan Meslier as their long term successor David de Gea. According to The Athletic they have set aside £7 million to look for a new shot-stopper. But does £7 million get you anywhere near to Illan Meslier?

Meslier broke into the top 50 Premier League keepers by number of saves made after the four saves he made against Wolves last weekend. The player he pushes out of the list was Thibaut Courtois who made 295 in 154 appearances for Chelsea. Meslier has made the same number of saves in just 89 appearances.

With Courtois valued at £54 Million and having moved to Real Madrid for £31 Million, how much is Illan Meslier really worth?
WestgateRun
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Re: How much is Illan Meslier really worth?

Post by WestgateRun »

Nick Pope, Burnley to Newcastle was 10 million.
I don't think Meslier is a better Premier League player than Pope.
Yes, Meslier makes a lot of saves. But that's due to the holes in our defence :)
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

He's certainly worth more than £7m.

It is hard to judge with Messlier. He has made a few mistakes, or conceded a few soft goals, but given the amount of shots faced then the chances of making an error will increase. You can't even judge keeper on shots saved or percetage of shots saved. Even XG conceded can be very flawed as you can get your position wrong but the players scuffs it and it hits your body means it is a save. Whenever I play in net I'd rather face as hot from a decent player because it is easier to guess where they are going to place it - when facing a sh*t player it could go anywhere as they have less control over where they are trying to put it (more likely to go through your legs as an example as you have your legs slightly open ready to push off and the 'striker' simply pokes it goalwards.

Is Messlier ready to play for a 'big' club at this stage and be their starting keeper? I would say no. As such his value comes down as it is unlikely a 'big' club would want to buy him now and then loan him out for a few years. As such he is probably at the right club for him at this stage of his career, starting every match and hopefully improving. If he reaches his potential then he is certainly going to be worth the sort of fees mentioned earlier.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

IM is a very good keeper with a very good career ahead of him, he has a lot of weaknesses in his game at the moment, thats why it's imperative to get a well respected goalkeeping coach in, Nigel Martyn would be my appointment.
Unless your'e actually a goalkeeper, or have been for a significant period, it's pointless speculating about positioning, and disrespectful, a goalkeeper is a very unique member of the team.
£7 million, don't think so, in 2/3 seasons time ,he may be valued at say £ 35 million, that means we would accept £ 9million and firpos sister, half-sister at that , as full sister would knock the valuation down a tad.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Meslier has huge potential. The one drawback to his value is that he hasn't played an international yet. I hope we keep him until he realizes that full potential. And keep him under contract. If we sold him now, we'd probably get about 20 million. He probably won't want to leave yet because the champions league teams would just buy him as back up - so why should he? Hopefully we keep him for a couple more years, n which case he could be worth about 40 to 50 million.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Quite a few sides have ageing goalkeepers, so will probably have him on their list. Spurs, Scum, Bayern, our friends Barcelona, Real Madrid etc
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Current market value is £18M so If we were to sell him now I reckon £25M .
He has 4 years left on his contract.

If he continues to play every game for us I would expect him to be worth £25M next season with it going to £35 the following which is where we either cash in or tie him down to longer.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

Not that much tbh, way too error prone.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Apparently we have valued him at £25million as interest from moan utd gathers pace, hope thats lazy journalism.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

At 22 and as our first good keeper in years, he's invaluable to me unless someone pays upwards of 40 million. Has the potential to be France's no. 1 for years to come and has several years until he reaches his peak for a gk.

Someone mentioned pope, but he's 30, was at relegated burnley and only had a year left on his contract.
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

50m if any of the Super League Six and European friends come knocking.
Less than that for anyone else.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Finnatic wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:04 am 50m if any of the Super League Six and European friends come knocking.
Less than that for anyone else.
But we are LUFC, we have just had our pants down for our main 2 stars, why would dealing with IM be any different .
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

mentalcase wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:09 pm But we are LUFC, we have just had our pants down for our main 2 stars, why would dealing with IM be any different .
I wouldn’t expect them to pay 50m for him but I’d rather f*** them off so they might end up bartering for him and we end up with more than he’s worth for once (a bit like Brighton did with Ben White)

We seem to put a figure out the media as to how much we want instead of dealing with potential suitors behind closed doors.

According to the headlines we have put a 25m price on him and if that’s true he’ll end up going for less - why not aim higher like other clubs do?
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

As usual the value is in they eye of the purchaser who seem to be Spurs at this point according to the rumours.

Illian has three years left on his contract and while Spurs may see him as the successor to Loris, Loris has two years left on his contract.
Spurs also brought in Foster as backup so why would they now be in the market for anyone now?

Unless Loris will be moving on. Otherwise it will cost the over £12M in wages to get shot of.

Can we see Meslier going anywhere to sit on the bench?

Hard to fathom but I would hope Leeds open talks with him for a new contract sometime this season.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Finnatic wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:46 pm I wouldn’t expect them to pay 50m for him but I’d rather f*** them off so they might end up bartering for him and we end up with more than he’s worth for once (a bit like Brighton did with Ben White)

We seem to put a figure out the media as to how much we want instead of dealing with potential suitors behind closed doors.

According to the headlines we have put a 25m price on him and if that’s true he’ll end up going for less - why not aim higher like other clubs do?
Agree wholeheartedly.
Play hard ball, oh hang on, I've already said this is LUFC :roll:
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

Selling Meslier would be a disaster, up there with selling Kasper Schmeichel as one of the worst pieces of business ever. I don't care if the club get £17.5 million, or £32 million, he will not be replaced. You only need to look at "one time best in world/now playing in clown shoes" types like de Gea to appreciate that a keeper who can play with the ball at his feet is very rare.
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

mentalcase wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:45 pm Agree wholeheartedly.
Play hard ball, oh hang on, I've already said this is LUFC :roll:
We could try it just the once 😁
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Keep hold of him, he's got a lot of potential in the modern game.

His distribution with his feet is ok ( better than De Gea)
His ..... oh i can't be arsed.....just keep him, he'll go up in value, there are more plus's than minus's
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Wish I knew what this project was :lol:
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Cjay wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:24 pm
Wish I knew what this project was :lol:
Hopefully, it's to keep our best players from now on for the significant future, build the team, build the squad, build the LU brand.
Then, if a very good offer comes in, not silly ones like we accepted KP & Rapha , we'll be in a position to think carefully :tup: