The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 16th August) - Leeds trust the current first team squad to be successful

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 16th August) - Leeds trust the current first team squad to be successful

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Tuesday 16th August, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Leeds 'trust the current first-team squad to be successful'

Fabrizio Romano has claimed that Leeds 'trust the current first-team squad to be successful', and will only splash the cash if the right targets become available. It was assumed that Bamford's latest injury would send the Elland Road scouts into overdrive, but according to the reliable transfer guru, Leeds are playing it cool.

Whilst Rodrigo has hit a rich vein of form, scoring six goals in three outings (if you include the hat trick he scored against Cagliari just over a fortnight ago), consistency has been a problem for the Spaniard, since his arrival at Elland Road two years ago. This only leaves Gelhardt as their only other recognised first team forward.

New year wins against Burnley and West Ham persuaded the Whites not to invest during the January transfer window, and it almost cost them their top flight status. Are Leeds going to gamble again? According to Romano...

For Leeds, they are exploring some options. But they want to make sure that it is the right opportunity. They don’t want to waste money, they trust the players they have, and so they’re looking at the market for some opportunities.

Dumb mistakes cost us - Struijk

Pascal Struijk has highlighted 'dumb mistake' as being the reason why Leeds only returned from St Mary's with a point at the weekend. The versatile defender also admitted that Hasenhuttl's triple substitution made it difficult for the Leeds defence. He said...

Some dumb mistakes from us really which gave them the chance to equalise. But really we should see this game out and make sure we win this. We had chances as well but we just need to score them and make sure we don’t concede them. When they put so many attackers on they’re going to create some pressure on the back line but make sure we don’t concede and this is the biggest thing. It made it hard for us.

Plucky Canaries come from behind twice to claim draw

Norwich City's U21's came from behind twice last night to secure a well deserved draw against an experienced Leeds side which included Mateusz Klich and Adam Forshaw.

Mateo Joseph's rich vein of form in front of goal continued, as he fired the Whites ahead after just seven minutes (his fifth in two games). The lead would only last a few minutes however; Kamara tucked away Springett's cross from close range. Leeds has efforts on goal from Klich and Summerville, but neither could restore the hosts advantage. The Canaries could have stolen the lead just before half-time, but Christy's smart save denied Springett from the edge of the area.

Whatever Michael Skubala (Leeds U21 Manager) said at half-time seemed to work, as the Whites retook the lead two minutes into the second half. Summerville's sublime through ball cut the Norwich defence in half, and Perkins was on hand to grab his second goal in as many games. Leeds could have extended their lead further, as the quality of Joseph and Summerville began to shine through, but Norwich had other ideas. Their equaliser came on the hour mark from Abu Kamara. His well executed curling shot gave Christy no chance.

Joseph and Summerville both had further opportunities to restore Leeds advantage, including an injury time effort from the Dutchman that rattled the post, but the game ended in stalemate.

Should Summerville go out on loan

Crysencio Summerville looked a different class last night, during the 2-2 draw against Norwich, but whilst he stood out for Skubala's side, I can't help but think he needs to go out on loan. The soon-to-be 21yo needs to be playing first team football. His performances might light up Thorp Arch, but I can't see him getting the same opportunities at Elland Road. He has signed a new long term deal, and under the right management, has the potential to improve further should he play week in, week out!

mentalcase

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 16th August) Leeds trust the current first-team squad to be successful

Post by mentalcase »

Morning all.
Struijk is correct, we did make 'dumb' mistakes, sort asap, lessons learnt hopefully, especially against 'lesser ' clubs.
JS on loan, yea I reckon so, JM maybe as well, and if we get this Gnonto fella the U23's will be rammed with exciting talent needing first team football or unrest will set in like the plague.
Gnonto is one for the future, rapid and will scare the hell out of defenders, just like JG, but both need blooding in the PL.
It's a case of how we use all this young talent without losing them, we now have a wealth of youngsters wanting to make the next step.
Being behind mis-firing, Bamford & James must do their heads in.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 16th August) - Leeds trust the current first team squad to be successful

Post by The Subhuman »

I'll trust the Leeds FO to get it right ...

I'd hate to see Cry go out on loan but at the same time I don't think he gets much game time. But you could also say the same for Gyabi, Gray, Hjelde, Drameh and Greenwood. Sending them all out on loan would leave us no depth but they're all too good for the 21's. Fernandez is also getting that way and I don't think it's long before we can say the same of Perkins ...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
mentalcase

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 16th August) - Leeds trust the current first team squad to be successful

Post by mentalcase »

faaip wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:47 am I'll trust the Leeds FO to get it right ...

I'd hate to see Cry go out on loan but at the same time I don't think he gets much game time. But you could also say the same for Gyabi, Gray, Hjelde, Drameh and Greenwood. Sending them all out on loan would leave us no depth but they're all too good for the 21's. Fernandez is also getting that way and I don't think it's long before we can say the same of Perkins ...
Yes, thats who I meant, MJ not JM, and like you say, Perkins is rapidly getting there.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

If either Bamford or Joffy are not fit enough to make the squad this weekend then either Joseph or Perkins should be on the bench so we can stop arseing about with the theory that Dan James is a CF.
Young they may be but you can't teach goal scoring, it's just something that comes naturally.
Joffy has it and by the sound of it so do Joseph and Perkins.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

4pts out of 6 to start the season is ok and, despite the eventual disappointment, for the first 2/3rds of the game on Saturday we had played our way to a 2 goal lead and had clearly been the better team, and but for some poor (and hopefully uncharacteristic) management by Marsch in that last half hour or so, we would have been sat nicely in 3rd place in the League.

In any case we are still sitting pretty in 6th place so in that respect the “trust in the 1st team squad” may, perhaps, not be displaced, but with only 2 games gone and against middling to poor teams at that, we shouldn’t be resting on our laurels just yet imo.

Summerville is a difficult one. He is not going to start games but will be useful from the bench, even then he can’t expect anymore than 10 or 20 minute cameos every so often, so is that going to be good enough for his development at this stage in his career? I don’t know! It’s the same situation with our other young would be starlets, Gelhardt, Greenwood etc.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:31 am 4pts out of 6 to start the season is ok and, despite the eventual disappointment, for the first 2/3rds of the game on Saturday we had played our way to a 2 goal lead and had clearly been the better team, and but for some poor (and hopefully uncharacteristic) management by Marsch in that last half hour or so, we would have been sat nicely in 3rd place in the League.

In any case we are still sitting pretty in 6th place so in that respect the “trust in the 1st team squad” may, perhaps, not be displaced, but with only 2 games gone and against middling to poor teams at that, we shouldn’t be resting on our laurels just yet imo.

Summerville is a difficult one. He is not going to start games but will be useful from the bench, even then he can’t expect anymore than 10 or 20 minute cameos every so often, so is that going to be good enough for his development at this stage in his career? I don’t know! It’s the same situation with our other young would be starlets, Gelhardt, Greenwood etc.
And there's the rub. Send them out on loan and your depth becomes the U23's not yet ready and the U18's....
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

Glad that Struijk pins some blame on the players for conceding the two goals, rather than purely blaming the manager the way so many fans seem keen to do. It's time that players take more personal responsibility for what they do on the pitch given that they are paid astronomical salaries by the club in return for this.

Given that in the modern day PL the ball is only in play on average between 50 to 60 mins out of the 90 mins, and that most players are earning between 50k to 100k a week, it's not asking too much surely ?
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

faaip wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:49 am And there's the rub. Send them out on loan and your depth becomes the U23's not yet ready and the U18's....
Serious question Faaip - what do you like about Orta, what impresses you the most etc ?
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Kennyb41 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:09 am Serious question Faaip - what do you like about Orta, what impresses you the most etc ?
Excellent use of youth, the passion, and I'm not one of those that subscribes to the theory that the buys have been poor. I rate Rodrigo, Firpo, James, et al.... He also bought both Bielsa and Marsch here, along with Rads. I consider it a team btw, not a disparate group of individuals, this club is run by the board, manager and scout as a team.... Don't like Rodrigo, you can attach as much blame to Bielsa as you can Orta ...

We're just about to start season 6 under this FO, When it first arrived there was a 5 yr plan to get back to the top division, we beat that by 2 years, it's a complete success as it stands right now...

Now we're in the stabilize phase... and I have a lot of patience and I'm analytical.

I'm CJays antithesis. I love this club...
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

faaip wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:25 am Now we're in the stabilize phase... and I have a lot of patience and I'm analytical.
A rare voice of sanity in a world obsessed with instant gratification. Were you born in Leeds?
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Good to see the club have learned nothing from last season. :lol: Hardly surprising with idiots like Kinnear in charge.

Yes loan out Summerville, he needs real football. Same with Klaesson
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

weasel wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:08 am A rare voice of sanity in a world obsessed with instant gratification. Were you born in Leeds?
No
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

SG90 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:18 am Good to see the club have learned nothing from last season. :lol: Hardly surprising with idiots like Kinnear in charge.

Yes loan out Summerville, he needs real football. Same with Klaesson
They have learned from last season
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Jimmy can stay and fight his place.

I know they most on here like to gurn about just about everything and that this will be a tough season bedding in new players and trying to get the best from Heldje,Joffy,Greenwood etc but lets face it if the management took their advice from MOT we would still be stuck in the championship....

Secondly and apologies on being blunt but the absolute lack of knowledge about the game is at times cringeworthy.

I don't think many could hold a conversation with the unholy trinity for longer than five minutes.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Irish Ian wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:28 am Jimmy can stay and fight his place.

I know they most on here like to gurn about just about everything and that this will be a tough season bedding in new players and trying to get the best from Heldje,Joffy,Greenwood etc but lets face it if the management took their advice from MOT we would still be stuck in the championship....

Secondly and apologies on being blunt but the absolute lack of knowledge about the game is at times cringeworthy.

I don't think many could hold a conversation with the unholy trinity for longer than five minutes.
I know I couldn’t
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

faaip wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:25 am Excellent use of youth, the passion, and I'm not one of those that subscribes to the theory that the buys have been poor. I rate Rodrigo, Firpo, James, et al.... He also bought both Bielsa and Marsch here, along with Rads. I consider it a team btw, not a disparate group of individuals, this club is run by the board, manager and scout as a team.... Don't like Rodrigo, you can attach as much blame to Bielsa as you can Orta ...

We're just about to start season 6 under this FO, When it first arrived there was a 5 yr plan to get back to the top division, we beat that by 2 years, it's a complete success as it stands right now...

Now we're in the stabilize phase... and I have a lot of patience and I'm analytical.

I'm CJays antithesis. I love this club...
I was of a similar mind until the Bielsa sacking, and his replacement with Marsch. As succession planning goes, it looks completely botched.

It's not so much that I'm clinging onto Bielsa as I am clinging onto the expectation that we could/ should have progressed onto another, top level, innovative (probably European) coach.

The Marschification of Leeds is on Orta, and I'm still a long way from being convinced it's anything other than a dead end at best, or more likely a retrograde step from which it'll take a long time to recover.

I feel we've sold a bit of our soul in the process too, and that's probably the thing that hurts the most. Even if Marsch does well, we won't be the outliers in the Premier League anymore, sticking to our philosophy and our principles. I used to think Orta got that, but I've lost my faith in him.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

faaip wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:27 am They have learned from last season
Like what?
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Irish Ian wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:28 am Jimmy can stay and fight his place.

CJay's stats would last for about 30 mins :lol:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

SG90 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:39 amLike what?
Added quality players at needed position