The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 18th August) - Leeds face competition over Italian International hitman

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 18th August) - Leeds face competition over Italian International hitman

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Thursday 18th August, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Leeds face competition over Italian International hitman

Italian media outelt Corriere dello Sport are claiming Leeds are locked in battle with Dutch giants Feyenoord over 18 year old forward Wilfried Gnonto. The Zurich hitman is in his final year of his contract, and as such is available at the knock down price of €5million (£4.2million). Gnonto is versatile, can play as a forward, winger or attacking midfielder, and is already a part of Roberto Mancini's Italy squad, winning four caps this year. He may not be the big money signing many of us were looking for, but surely, we all like a bargain, don't we!

A new attacker must remain on the transfer agenda for a Leeds, especially with recent injuries to Patrick Bamford and Joe Gelhardt highlighting the lack of depth up front. Jesse Marsch have said Leeds will have to be clever with recruitment in this area so as not to block the progression of Joe Gelhardt. Could Gnonto be the ideal man to provide cover as a player to develop for the future?

Hay expresses concern about Kristensen

During his latest podcast, Elland Road journalist Phil Hay has admitted his surprise, that Rasmus Kristensen has struggled thus far, since his £10m transfer from RB Salzburg. The 25yo penned a five-year contract, ten weeks ago, but is yet to find his form for the Whites. His impressive physique and hard man demeanour led many comparisons to our no nonsense players of yesteryear, but two games in, the great Dane has yet to stamp his authority! According to Hay...

I think he’s had two difficult games, I can’t disagree with that at all – and it is a surprise to me. I felt and I said a couple of times that signing him for £10m or thereabouts seemed like a no-brainer in the sense that he’d had a good pedigree, he’d had a good reputation at Salzburg; analysis of his game seems to find a lot of strengths in it and cast him as a pretty capable and a good right-back.

But he’s found his positioning a challenge. I think a lot of people were surprised at the Wolves goal, how easily he was brushed off the ball for that, because he has this hardcore demeanour about him, doesn’t he? He looks like what you’d call a kind of classic hardman, he looks like somebody who could easily be a crowd favourite, a bit of a cult hero – definitely got that streak in him.

But it’s been tougher for him to settle than it has for somebody like Tyler Adams, somebody like Marc Roca, Aaronson, others on the pitch. It is, at the moment, a position of weakness for Leeds – both on the right and the left-hand side.

Struijk tops players ratings

Two games in, Pascal Struijk leads the players ratings for 'Whoscored', just ahead of Jack Harrison and Rodrigo. The versatile Dutch defender, who turned 23 last week, has impressed the statisticians for his performances at left back, in the absence of Junior Firpo. He burst onto the scene two years ago, rising up the ranks at pace following injuries to Llorente, Koch and Cooper. Last season, he seemed to lose a lot of confidence (and form) following his red card for the challenge on Liverpool's Harvey Elliott, and dropped down the pecking order at Elland Road.

Some of the ratings may seem a little odd, but they are considered to be the most accurate, respected and well-known performance indicators in the world of football, and are used by media giants, bookmakers and football clubs based on a unique, comprehensive statistical algorithm.

Stream games live this season with the protection of NordVPN with our dicounted rate...

Attachments
ratings.jpg
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 18th August) Leeds face competition over Italian International hitman

Post by 1964white »

We are not facing competition, as I doubt we are making any more additions to the squad.

Our summer trading concluded a mouth ago.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 18th August) Leeds face competition over Italian International hitman

Post by Cjay »

G'mornin

Wilfried Gnonto

The club have clearly looked at him because Di Marzio is very very reliable and Romano has backed it up.

I'm not convinced we will sign anyone else however as I am utterly convinced the club never planned to spend more than we received in fees and firmly believe Harrison would have been sold to fund De Ketelaere.

If its a case of Gnoto or nobody I'd like him but I'd still much prefer a more proven player.

Kristensen.

Has been a disappointment so far overall bar one awesome tackle.

He needs to improve.

But it's early days.

Struijk.

Whoscored.com are very reliable for Stats.

That is what they do

There player ratings however are entirely stat based and therefore unreliable imo.

For example many gave Aaronson MOTM vs Wolves, he was rated our worst player by that website.

It's an entirely stat based rating and doesnt take into account things that only watching the match can tell.

He did OK Struijk but he isn't isn't long term answer at left back.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

I’m not giving up on Kristensen yet after only 2 competitive games, that would be ridiculous. He has all the attributes to be a major player for Leeds United, big and strong with a passionate will to win - so I’ll judge him over half a season rather than 2 games.

Stats or no stats, I prefer to be swayed by the impression I get myself from watching the games. If the stats happen to back up my observations then all well and good, if not, I’ll stick to my own opinions thank you. My 2 motm’s so far are stuck down in 9th and 11th places - just shows how much these stats know eh! 😉
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:32 am
Whoscored.com are very reliable for Stats.

That is what they do

There player ratings however are entirely stat based and therefore unreliable imo.

For example many gave Aaronson MOTM vs Wolves, he was rated our worst player by that website.

It's an entirely stat based rating and doesnt take into account things that only watching the match can tell.
Indeed Cjay, their rating for Aaronson vs Wolves was totally incorrect.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:41 am I’m not giving up on Kristensen yet after only 2 competitive games, that would be ridiculous. He has all the attributes to be a major player for Leeds United, big and strong with a passionate will to win - so I’ll judge him over half a season rather than 2 games.

Stats or no stats, I prefer to be swayed by the impression I get myself from watching the games. If the stats happen to back up my observations then all well and good, if not, I’ll stick to my own opinions thank you. My 2 motm’s so far are stuck down in 9th and 11th places - just shows how much these stats know eh! 😉
Aaronson & Adams have been superb :tup:

Adams was competing with Rodrigo, Harrison & Llorente for the MOTM v the Saints, it was such a close call, anyone of those four could have been credited with the award.

Nice that we are having to make difficult calls with several players receiving high ratings, rarely the case last season.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

It will be interesting to see what happens regarding Kristensen once Ayling is back and fully fit.
I can't see either of them being happy at being on the bench for any length of time.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
mentalcase

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 18th August) - Leeds face competition over Italian International hitman

Post by mentalcase »

Morining all.
I think we're clutching at the last remnants in the barrel now for additions, we can only hope.
Pascal for me has been immense, hence why I gave him MOM against wolves, and again in my 6 for saints, I give it as I see it , and not be swayed by others or commentators views.
PS has a great future ahead of him, very versatile, LB may not be his favoured spot but he cracks on and does his best.
Kristensen, personally, I think he needs to just stand off the attackers to enable himself to challenge legally, it's early days, he's already head & shoulders above firpo on t'other side, he can learn, can firpo ?
A bit more cover from Adams & Roca to help settle the tempo won't do him any harm either, up to JM to protect him at the moment.
Massive test sunday for all, I fear the worst, but as ever, hope for t'best.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 18th August) - Leeds face competition over Italian International hitman

Post by WhiteRose »

There will be no new additions now which is a crying shame - but we have to accept that the club want to be self sustaining in a league of excess and as admirable as that is it is pie in the sky thinking and it will see us no better than lower table and ultimately relegated - whether it works or not forest will have spent over 150 million by the time the window closes which at least shows ambition and investment from the owner.