Wilfried Gnonto

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Wilfried Gnonto- DEAL CLOSE

Post by whiteswan »

Cjay wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:34 pm
Cheap atleast I suppose

Welcome Wilfried you poor sod
That's a below the belt post Cjay.

Calling our new player cheap and a poor sod.....

What's happened to you? :(

Not the Cjay I know from when you first appeared on MOT.....

....What an awful welcome for our latest player.
Victor_Notts-17
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Victor_Notts-17 »

All for the Gnonto signing but if he's that good, why did he only cost £4m? Surely if he was the next big thing, big European clubs would have been in for him! Shouts desperatoin this signing: we needed a Prem striker not another U21 player! Rodrigo as good as he has been at the start of the season is never going to be the answer. So, Leeds United doing what they do every deadline day and that is showing the world how utterly inept they are on transfer deadline day! How did we go from trying to sign De Ketelaere/Gopko but just signing another youth player? We have been desperate for a striker for 18 months. We're also weak at LB. If anyone thinks Firpo is the answer: they need their head looking at. At least we got rid of Dan James so we have something to be happy about this window...
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

whiteswan wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:44 pm That's a below the belt post Cjay.

Calling our new player cheap and a poor sod.....

What's happened to you? :(

Not the Cjay I know from when you first appeared on MOT.....

....What an awful welcome for our latest player.
Yeah I know Swannie.

Was tired and fed up and annoyed by the club.

Usually try to say positive things about new players.

I genuinely hope he is a success.

It isnt his fault.

Hopefully he plays on Saturday and does well.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Zurich White
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Zurich White »

weasel wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:27 pm Chuffed to bits with this one - of all the strikers we were linked with recently he is the one I wanted. I see it as the perfect signing for where we are. We have 3 injury prone strikers competing for 1 starting position and now Gnonto comes into the mix - not sure of his injury record hopefully Zurich White can fill us in -
Gnonto was with Zurich from April 2020. He started in the U21s, had a couple of games for them, and then the following season went straight into the first team.

He missed one game due to a 'muscular injury' in February '21, and that was it.

Physically always top level. I've watched a few trainings and he's strong for his size. Very strong.

Matchday also no problems. never went off injured, although that is also down to him being a sub most games, but the Swiss League is fairly physical, and never saw him have problems, in fact he seemed to relish the clashes.

He can literally also play left wing, right wing and in the middle.
He's also Italy's youngest ever scorer. He's a great signing.

P.S. His mood has been 'off' the last few weeks, but that was because he really wanted to come to Leeds, but the FCZ President had publicly said they wouldn't sell Willy for under 10 million, and only to a top-top Club, so Willy understandably had a lot of pressure on him, and wasn't sure whether he was going to be staying in Switzerland for another year, with a new trainer, and with a team who lost their 2 best players in the summer, and are now bottom of the League.
Also his salary was very low, I mean very low, and although if he'd stayed another year he would have got a signing-on fee, a year is a long time in football, etc., etc., so I'm sure he's very happy with the increase in wages,m and the chance to prove himself on the biggest stage in the World.

Good Luck to him.
He helped Zurich win the League last season, so he leaves here with everyone's blessings.

Onwards and Upwards!

MOT
Rook
First Team
First Team

Re: Wilfried Gnonto- DEAL DONE

Post by Rook »

He'll probably be sent out on loan next summer to a league 1 club, and never play in a Leeds shirt ever again.

#MateuszBogutsz-Version2
I smell blood and an era of prominent mad men - W.H. Auden
velo
Manager
Manager

Post by velo »

whiteswan wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:37 pm No, you're a premier league referee aficiando :)
No but I can smell a cheat at 50 yards...
Stop worryin' about what people say, when it ain't gonna stop them anyway.

Hater of Liars, Cheats and Trolls

Freedom of speech is not allowed if it upsets the mods
Aussieleeds
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Aussieleeds »

A couple of disappointments in the past 48 hrs. But credit where credit is due - having a young Italian international striker with personal terms already agreed as your 11th hour Plan E is pretty decent.
Now we wait and see.
Gabolt
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Gabolt »

Just be thankful that Nottingham Forest left one unsigned for us to sneak in at the wire
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

Victor_Notts-17 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:55 pm All for the Gnonto signing but if he's that good, why did he only cost £4m? Surely if he was the next big thing, big European clubs would have been in for him! ...How did we go from trying to sign De Ketelaere/Gopko but just signing another youth player? We have been desperate for a striker for 18 months. We're also weak at LB. If anyone thinks Firpo is the answer: they need their head looking at. At least we got rid of Dan James so we have something to be happy about this window...
Pleased we got rid of a Welsh international winger?

Disappointed we brought in an Italian international forward because he was so cheap?

Upset a player chose AC Milan over us?

Expectations at this club have surely never been higher!
SOUTH STAND
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by SOUTH STAND »

Sounds a promising young lad, not his fault other random deal or no deals were going on, sounds like Noel Edmonds is on our board.

On the Leeds post he sounds entertaining to me, time will tell…
“ Leeds United complete deadline day deal for Wilfried Gnonto.

Leeds United are pleased to confirm the transfer deadline day signing of Italian international Wilfred Gnonto.
The forward joins the Whites from Swiss Super League champions FC Zurich, for an undisclosed fee.
He has penned a five-year deal at Elland Road, running until the summer of 2027.
A product of Inter Milan's Academy, Gnonto spent eight years with the San Siro outfit before moving to Zurich in 2020.
He made 26 appearances during the 2020/21 campaign, before helping to fire Zurich to a first Swiss Super League title in 13 years last season, hitting 10 goals and providing five assists.
The 18-year-old's performances did not go unnoticed by Italy manager Roberto Mancini, who handed him his first cap against Germany in the UEFA Nations League in June 2022.
He then went on to score his first goal for his country in the reverse fixture against Germany, becoming Italy's youngest goal-scorer ever in the process, breaking a record which had stood since 1958.
Gnonto arrives at Elland Road having made 74 appearances in all competitions for Zurich, along with four caps for Italy.
He becomes the club's ninth signing of the summer, following the arrivals of Brenden Aaronson, Tyler Adams, Darko Gyabi, Rasmus Kristensen, Sonny Perkins, Joel Robles, Marc Roca and Luis Sinisterra.”
Last edited by SOUTH STAND on Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

Mountain wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:24 am Pleased we got rid of a Welsh international winger?

Disappointed we brought in an Italian international forward because he was so cheap?

Upset a player chose AC Milan over us?

Expectations at this club have surely never been higher!
Tyler Roberts also a Welsh international.

I guess it's too much to expect to start a Premier League game with an actual left back? Or a striker, rather than relying on a young lad who rarely starts and a crock. I get that we 'tried' but at the last minute, it was far too much of risk We are in for another long hard season, I'm sure Grima Wormtongue is putting ink to paper as we speak.
lufc93
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by lufc93 »

Wake me up before you go go, why have Bamba when we’ve got Gnonto :lol:

I’m excited for the new signing and feel although alot has fallen through during the transfer window, I feel that we have had a very successful one!

To say that Bamba failed his medical for Nice, could be a sign that it was a blessing we ended up without him!
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

Victor_Notts-17 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:55 pm All for the Gnonto signing but if he's that good, why did he only cost £4m? Surely if he was the next big thing, big European clubs would have been in for him! Shouts desperatoin this signing: we needed a Prem striker not another U21 player! Rodrigo as good as he has been at the start of the season is never going to be the answer. So, Leeds United doing what they do every deadline day and that is showing the world how utterly inept they are on transfer deadline day! How did we go from trying to sign De Ketelaere/Gopko but just signing another youth player? We have been desperate for a striker for 18 months. We're also weak at LB. If anyone thinks Firpo is the answer: they need their head looking at. At least we got rid of Dan James so we have something to be happy about this window...
he was in the last year of his contract
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Excellent news!
I have so many Willie jokes lined up....😂
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Tighthead
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Tighthead »

Welcome Willy
Bluebucket
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Bluebucket »

Zurich White wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:35 am Gnonto was with Zurich from April 2020. He started in the U21s, had a couple of games for them, and then the following season went straight into the first team...

Good Luck to him.
He helped Zurich win the League last season, so he leaves here with everyone's blessings.

Onwards and Upwards!

MOT
Thanks for the great info, ZW. A positive signing.
:scar1
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

WOW! this is a complete surprise this morning, all happened after I went to bed.

A actual link to a player that came off, I assume he was a second or third alternative, but I like the snippets I've seen of the young lad. Wilfried has played for Italy scoring a goal in one his four appearances so he can't be that bad.

Welcome to Leeds United Wilfried 8-)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Rook wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:40 pm What a complete and utter farce.

Leeds' deadline days have always been black comedy, but today takes the biscuit.

To Dan James, if you are reading this, i apologise for our boards behaviour.

I really do.
I'm not a fan of James, but like you Rook, I do feel sorry for the way we have handled his loan transfer.

I wish him all the best.

Just hope he's not allowed to play against us in our two games vs Fulham this season.
SOUTH STAND
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by SOUTH STAND »

Chilli D wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:57 am Excellent news!
I have so many Willie jokes lined up....😂
We've even more "tackle" ability now in our team :)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:37 pm Better Gnoto than Hwang ✔️
More likely we'll go back after Dieng 🙁
So glad Wolves didn't offload Hwang to us.