The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 21st September) - Chelsea target Orta for new Sporting Director Role

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 21st September) - Chelsea target Orta for new Sporting Director Role

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Wednesday 21st September, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Chelsea target Orta for new Sporting Director Role

According to the Telegraph, Chelsea are keen to bring Victor Orta to Stamford Bridge. Blues owner Todd Boehly is desperate for an expert to work alongside new manager Graham Potter in preparations for the January transfer window. Having lost out on RB Salzburg's Christoph Freund (who decided to stay put), Boehly has turned his attention to either Orta or Bayer Leverkusen’s Tim Steidten. Boehly and Orta were locked in negotiations over the transfer of Raphinha several months ago, and even though the Brazilian ended up at Barcelona, Chelsea's supremo was impressed with Orta's negotiating and man management skills.

Is Victor Orta underrated? Would you like to see him stay at Elland Road, or could this be a blessing in disguise?

Cresswell blossoming at Bermondsey

Phil Hay has penned an interesting article in 'The Athletic' regarding Charlie Cresswell. In it, He reveals that the 20yo had multiple Championship offers during the Summer, but, both he and the Club thought the opportunity from Millwall was perfect. Development, growth and experience is what was needed, and Leeds were only too pleased to waive the loan fee as long as Cressy has plenty of game time.

The Den, as a former Leeds player once put it, is a ground where the more you try to hide, the more the crowd come looking for you. Cresswell had other offers in the summer, other teams asking to sign him on loan, but Millwall looked ideal. There are places where a loanee can tot up minutes in peace. Bermondsey is not one of them.

If Cresswell’s choice of move felt good to him, it felt good to Leeds and good for his professional growth, too. Sending him out was no clearing of the decks and no indication at all that the defender had run his course at Elland Road.

Unlike Shackleton, Millwall were offered no chance to sign Cresswell permanently and while Leeds did not demand a loan fee before sending him south, the deal with Gary Rowett’s team will impose penalty clauses if he fails to play as much as Leeds want. There is also a provision for his parent club to recall him in January, though that safety net is for emergencies. The whole point of the transfer was that he stayed at The Den and played.

Millwall, naturally, have pushed him harder: eight starts, greater exposure in a typically wide-open division and the pressure of trying to give them a sniff of the play-offs. Leeds’ academy was his education. Nine months in London might be his graduation.

Marsch has faith in Kristensen

It's fair to say that Rasmus Kristensen has found it difficult to acclimatise to Premier League football since arriving from Austria in June. At the time, Leeds fans thought that Marsch had uncovered a bargain (£10m), especially after witnessing his physical presence. Standing 6ft 2', and absolutely ripped, most assumed Leeds had bought a no nonsense, combative wrecking machine, who would destroy anyone in his path; sadly nothing could be further from the truth.

Kristensen has frequently been bullied off the ball, gets caught out of position, and his passing (66.8%), is the lowest out of all of Leeds outfield players. Only Illan Meslier (59.5%) has a poorer passing record.

Jesse Marsch has faith in the 25 year old, and believes that once he gets out of his comfort zone, and challenges himself, he'll adapt to life in the top flight. With Luke Ayling on the comeback trail, should Leeds reinstate the old guard, or persevere with Kristensen?

One of the things I said to him was ‘listen, the reason you came here was to get out of your comfort zone and to challenge yourself and to believe you can adapt and grow and get better from the situation. We went through this even a little bit at Salzburg. For me, after two years and this last year in Salzburg, he was probably their best player, their most impactful player.

He said to me ‘I feel like I was making 10 to 20 impactful moments per match at Salzburg, Champions League, in the league and here, it's hard for me to make one or two or three’. I said ‘yeah, the level's big’ and he agrees.

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 21st September) Chelsea target Orta for new Sporting Director Role

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning Folks.

Orta. “A prophet is not without honor except in his own country and in his own house.”

Charlie. Keep learning lad.

Rasmus. First season steep learning curve.? Hope so. Hopefully having a fit Ayling will help focus his mind. It will be interesting who Jesse plumps for if they both are fit in fact.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 21st September) Chelsea target Orta for new Sporting Director Role

Post by Kennyb41 »

Most will know my feelings on Orta and my desire to drive him personally to Stamford Bridge, so i'll leave it at that.

But just in case any Chelsea fans come looking here for comments re our resident clown : KEEP YOUR FCKING HANDS OFF DE MAN BE A GENIUS WHEN IT'S COMES TO SPENDING MONEY AND UNEARTHING REAL TALENT, IT MIGHT TAKE HIM 50 ATTEMPTS BUT I PROMISE YOU HE'LL FIND 1 GEM !

Should've got some money off Millwall scum in the loan agreement for CC.

Rasmus is probably guilty of overtrying in my opinion, but he could also be shite.

Luke should walk straight back into the side for sure, he only needed 10 mins last game to show what he's about.

Jesses game should suit Luke down to the ground, he and we will get caught out, but more upside from his ability to get forward overlapping and supporting attacking play, a definite positive for our next game, Firpo will probably be starting as well, it better work going forward with him coz we're gonna get stung big time on the break with that clumsy fcker.

Not particularly worried about Ayling.

It's definitely fingers crossed with the loose cannon, i think he'll be good bombing down the flank, but anything could happen (and will) when he's stranded up field and the oppo's terrorise him and his exposed position.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

I'm not a big fan of Orta, but on the other hand I wouldn't pin all failures on him. He has helped oversee the rise of the club back to the top tier. The disaster was JKA.

It's probably human nature to find someone to blame when things don't go as well as hoped for. I think it's more of a systemic issue that ultimately comes down to one thing, we just don't have enough money. I think we could have Jesus Christ as owner, as CEO, as sporting director and playing up front, and with the limited budget we'd still be pretty much where we are.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Morning EB et all

Like many I'm probably on the fence with Orta, many of his signings haven't been that great (JKA, Costalot, etc), some have been bargains (Raph, Adams, Aarronson, Sinisterra etc...) and some still 50/50 (James, Firpo, Rasmus), I like his passion but we'll soon see how Leeds he is when Chelsea start flashing the cash.

Charlie will be a future Leeds Captain

Rasmus as I said above the jury is still out, I'd put Luke straight into the team and tell Rasmus that's how you should be playing
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 21st September) - Chelsea target Orta for new Sporting Director Role

Post by Chilli D »

Orta - I very much doubt he will leave us any time soon. He has a good working relationship with Radz by all accounts so as long as Radz is with us, so will he be.

Cresswell - Never a doubt in my mind he would do well at Millwall although I do wish he and Shackleton had gone somewhere else.
A year in the Championship is a good learning curve and next season he absolutely has to be challenging for a first team place with us.

Kristensen - He's had some good moments with us so far but there's no doubt that Ayling looked good when he came on at Brentford despite the final score and will want his place back.
I think JM will stick with RK for now but it will be interesting what happens when Ayling is considered fully match fit.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Mountain wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:53 am I'm not a big fan of Orta, but on the other hand I wouldn't pin all failures on him. He has helped oversee the rise of the club back to the top tier. The disaster was JKA.

It's probably human nature to find someone to blame when things don't go as well as hoped for. I think it's more of a systemic issue that ultimately comes down to one thing, we just don't have enough money. I think we could have Jesus Christ as owner, as CEO, as sporting director and playing up front, and with the limited budget we'd still be pretty much where we are.
Whoever got Bert here or was the first to think of him deserves the credit for getting Bert here.

After that Bert is 100% responsible for us being in the Prem, full stop.

I'll forgive him if he can get him for under 30m.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Kennyb41 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:18 am Whoever got Bert here or was the first to think of him deserves the credit for getting Bert here.

After that Bert is 100% responsible for us being in the Prem, full stop.

I'll forgive him if he can get him for under 30m.
Fairly sure Bert was the reincarnation of JC.
So Orta already ticked that box
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 21st September) - Chelsea target Orta for new Sporting Director Role

Post by WhiteRose »

I’m sure if an approach is made and the money is good Orta will be off but his antics and histrionics will not be tolerated at Chelsea he will have to rein himself in. It’s a tough job and you would be silly to expect all signings to always come to fruition but Maybe it will be easier at Chelsea, money no object and your signing proven players more often than not rather than sifting for gold in the sewage of European football.
prutbrk
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by prutbrk »

Not forgetting Meslier and Raphina plucked for a pittance compared to their valuation now and Pascal on a free. Then you have Sinisterra who nobody had heard of coming in out of the blue. Cry, Sonny, Willy. Joffey etc etc. When you have a limited budget you are bound to get some flops but on the whole Leeds have been far better off with Victor than not
thatchapcarnell
Ballboy
Ballboy
Twitter: @thatchapcarnell

Post by thatchapcarnell »

prutbrk wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:31 am Not forgetting Meslier and Raphina plucked for a pittance compared to their valuation now and Pascal on a free. Then you have Sinisterra who nobody had heard of coming in out of the blue. Cry, Sonny, Willy. Joffey etc etc. When you have a limited budget you are bound to get some flops but on the whole Leeds have been far better off with Victor than not
I agree with this entirely. And I'd like to see other teams with similar budgets and what they have spent and on who. The hit vs miss ratios will be pretty similar I bet. The fact Chelsea want him might just be an indication that he's decent at what he does.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Welcome to the two newbies above, great forum this with loads of differing views and great to see new members arriving all the time, 64 will be gushing.

Only me soundly rounded upon by a miniature pack, but that's what i'm here for!

;@)
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Mountain wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:53 am I'm not a big fan of Orta, but on the other hand I wouldn't pin all failures on him. He has helped oversee the rise of the club back to the top tier. The disaster was JKA.

Bielsa made the final decision on JKA
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

prutbrk wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:31 am Not forgetting Meslier and Raphina plucked for a pittance compared to their valuation now and Pascal on a free. Then you have Sinisterra who nobody had heard of coming in out of the blue. Cry, Sonny, Willy. Joffey etc etc. When you have a limited budget you are bound to get some flops but on the whole Leeds have been far better off with Victor than not
Welcome pal. Great points.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

whoaaa, hold on a minute, have we got VO here joining our little discussion ?

And his wife/possible children ?

I hope it is you ya fcking clown, i've been wanting a word for Yonks,

Sack of shite ? Explain please,

De Bock ? Get out of that fcking one.

Grot ? wtf did you see in him???

We'll start with those more to follow,

;@)
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

thatchapcarnell wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:40 am I agree with this entirely. And I'd like to see other teams with similar budgets and what they have spent and on who. The hit vs miss ratios will be pretty similar I bet. The fact Chelsea want him might just be an indication that he's decent at what he does.
Welcome Carnell. Not only that, but other clubs don't have a bad word to say about Orta!!!
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Kennyb41 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:05 am Welcome to the two newbies above, great forum this with loads of differing views and great to see new members arriving all the time, 64 will be gushing.

Only me soundly rounded upon by a miniature pack, but that's what i'm here for!
Very happy our forum is flowing without too many hiccups, Kennyboy. :-D
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Kennyb41 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:05 am Welcome to the two newbies above, great forum this with loads of differing views and great to see new members arriving all the time, 64 will be gushing.
Nice little welcome from you Kennyboy.

I welcomed Prut & Carnell a few months ago. :lol:
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

It's grenades we want not hiccups, don't you ever start a dictatorship here like some other backslapping pricks did elsewhere, there's only about 8 of the stiffs left and all have to agree with one another or BOOM! you're guillotined !

I think they refer to themselves as 'the clique' and have a pretend secret handshake.

It's more a knobshake if tha asks me.

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

1964white wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:25 am Nice little welcome from you Kennyboy.

I welcomed Prut & Carnell a few months ago. :lol:
Yeah i must say i noticed that after i posted, kinhell they're not gonna break any records are they, i hope i'm still alive to see their first star.

Welcome all and sundry 64, after all it's a democracy we live in and thus have to accept the thick gits like yours truly, along with the fcking smartarses that interfere with evolution :lol: And are usually of a certain religious persuasion :roflmao:

Anyhows, back on topic....Orta's a knob.

;@)