Yes, I loved it under Bielsa and O’Leary too and at times under those two the football was better but the delight at winning the title and the town hall scenes after will always win out.
Favourite eras
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
- Finnatic
- Superstar

- Posts: 6705
- Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:47 pm
Re: Favourite eras
- Cjay
- Superstar

- Posts: 41701
- Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:01 pm
Re: Favourite eras
On what criteria?
They achieved promotion in the same time.
Bielsa had a higher first season Premier League finish (would have been 6th last season with the same points).
Played a more enjoyable style of play and as you say operated under a more chaotic ownership with less deep pockets or parachute payments.
You've said this before, entitled to a view but just curious how?
Signed
King Cjay
Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
King Cjay
Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
- weasel
- Superstar

- Posts: 19697
- Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
- Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet
Re: Favourite eras
You seem though to be choosing the criteria of making it Bielsa v Farke. The era though is about the club and under Bielsa the hierarchy was very much on shifting sands. As such the present era looks to be being built on solid foundations especially with the stadium developments.Cjay wrote: ↑Thu Sep 17, 2026 9:25 pm On what criteria?
They achieved promotion in the same time.
Bielsa had a higher first season Premier League finish (would have been 6th last season with the same points).
Played a more enjoyable style of play and as you say operated under a more chaotic ownership with less deep pockets or parachute payments.
You've said this before, entitled to a view but just curious how?
Last edited by weasel on Fri Sep 18, 2026 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
- Cjay
- Superstar

- Posts: 41701
- Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:01 pm
Re: Favourite eras
Just curiousweasel wrote: ↑Thu Sep 17, 2026 9:48 pm You seem though to be choosing the criteria of making it Bielsa v Farke. The era though is about the club and under Bielsa the hierarchy was very much on shifting stands. As such the present era looks to be being built on solid foundations especially with the stadium developments.
If Leon is saying he preferred the Farke era per the post then fair enough his opinion.
But I'm fairly sure he's said before Farke has surpassed Bielsa so was seeing if that was his meaning here.
And if so why or how.
Signed
King Cjay
Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
King Cjay
Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
- Orange Box
- Superstar

- Posts: 7498
- Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:51 pm
- Location: West of Scotland, formerly Cas Vegas
Re: Favourite eras
Before answering, I find its it’s always best to look at the question. In this instance the question is ‘which is your favourite era’. Not ‘best’, but ‘favourite’. So the answer has to be truly personal.
Here’s where I’ll surprise many people. I’m not picking the Revie years, which was my immediate response. I’m going for the Farke period, especially now.
Of course I loved the Revie times. I was a young teenager and it was the thing to do - watch Leeds play. And when I started working I used to spend all my money travelling far and wide to watch them. It was great. Great mates, great results.
But now I’m older, and I appreciate the things in life which some day I won’t be around to see. Last year I went to a game, simply to say goodbye to Elland Road. Thing is, I got hooked, and went to several more. I’ve made some pals along the way. Seen people I haven’t seen in decades. Met members of this forum who sit well with me. This year I’m planning on going to as many games as I can, while I can. It’s not cheap, and it’s a 3 day round trip, I’m at around £700-800 per trip and I’m only a poor pensioner living on a pittance, so, sorry kids, I’m spending your inheritance.
Football isn’t about results, who was the best team, the best player, it’s about the experience - whether that’s at the game, on the telly, or screaming at a computer with a dodgy feed - and for me, quite simply, my favourite era is now.
So I’ll see you on Sunday, Leeds.
(Written by an old guy, in bed with a cup of tea, not AI)
Here’s where I’ll surprise many people. I’m not picking the Revie years, which was my immediate response. I’m going for the Farke period, especially now.
Of course I loved the Revie times. I was a young teenager and it was the thing to do - watch Leeds play. And when I started working I used to spend all my money travelling far and wide to watch them. It was great. Great mates, great results.
But now I’m older, and I appreciate the things in life which some day I won’t be around to see. Last year I went to a game, simply to say goodbye to Elland Road. Thing is, I got hooked, and went to several more. I’ve made some pals along the way. Seen people I haven’t seen in decades. Met members of this forum who sit well with me. This year I’m planning on going to as many games as I can, while I can. It’s not cheap, and it’s a 3 day round trip, I’m at around £700-800 per trip and I’m only a poor pensioner living on a pittance, so, sorry kids, I’m spending your inheritance.
Football isn’t about results, who was the best team, the best player, it’s about the experience - whether that’s at the game, on the telly, or screaming at a computer with a dodgy feed - and for me, quite simply, my favourite era is now.
So I’ll see you on Sunday, Leeds.
(Written by an old guy, in bed with a cup of tea, not AI)
- CUSSIE01
- Site Contributor

- Posts: 9728
- Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:45 am
- Location: Where God finally got it right.
Re: Favourite eras
Was probably too young to fully enjoy the Revie years.
Loved the O’Leary European nights
Bielsa's team were a joy to watch & loved the man & the way he turned us around. Would have been very interesting to see what he could have done under our new owners.
Farke still doesn’t get the credit he deserves from some fans but not me. He’s the perfect manager at exactly the right time.
But……. The Wilkinson years win by a mile for me, what a team & what a manager. From travelling up from London to see us playing the likes of Shrewsbury, Grimsby etc to promotion & then winning the league. The stuff of dreams.
Still have the old official VHS tape somewhere.
Loved the O’Leary European nights
Bielsa's team were a joy to watch & loved the man & the way he turned us around. Would have been very interesting to see what he could have done under our new owners.
Farke still doesn’t get the credit he deserves from some fans but not me. He’s the perfect manager at exactly the right time.
But……. The Wilkinson years win by a mile for me, what a team & what a manager. From travelling up from London to see us playing the likes of Shrewsbury, Grimsby etc to promotion & then winning the league. The stuff of dreams.
Still have the old official VHS tape somewhere.
“ If you’re going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don’t even start “ Charles Bukowski.
-
Jammy 07
- Manager

- Posts: 3821
- Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:09 am
Re: Favourite eras
Wilko 1st
Bielsa 2nd
O'Leary 3rd
Farke 4th
The Farke era could possibly move up to 2nd though by the end of this season.
Bielsa 2nd
O'Leary 3rd
Farke 4th
The Farke era could possibly move up to 2nd though by the end of this season.
- hector
- Moderator

- Posts: 14632
- Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:57 am
- Location: In a wood
Re: Favourite eras
What a strange subject for a football forum..... hey ho
This one is nice and ornamental
However think these ears take the crown...
This one is nice and ornamental
However think these ears take the crown...
Hopelessly lost.................. But making good time
- Sean_Nile
- Superstar

- Posts: 6014
- Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:25 pm
Re: Favourite eras
Entertainment
Which era got you excited, was it the one that the main priority was SUCCESS and prestige, and that made you feel important cos you had backed the winning horse, or was it the stupifing chaotic excitement that you might see something magical and unexpected that thrilled you to your bones.
All depends on your personality. If you are the accountant type then the prestige means the money is rolling in and that makes you happy. If you are a little bit loco then the buzz is sufficient.
Which era got you excited, was it the one that the main priority was SUCCESS and prestige, and that made you feel important cos you had backed the winning horse, or was it the stupifing chaotic excitement that you might see something magical and unexpected that thrilled you to your bones.
All depends on your personality. If you are the accountant type then the prestige means the money is rolling in and that makes you happy. If you are a little bit loco then the buzz is sufficient.
Never confuse intellect with imagination.
Never let good taste stand in the way of style
~ big nosed Pseudo intellectual, sarky super hero, weirdly obsessed idiot stalker, boring smarmy w*nker, worst pollster, far right dimwit, and resident perspicacious comedian...OR IS HE
Never let good taste stand in the way of style
~ big nosed Pseudo intellectual, sarky super hero, weirdly obsessed idiot stalker, boring smarmy w*nker, worst pollster, far right dimwit, and resident perspicacious comedian...OR IS HE
- Finnatic
- Superstar

- Posts: 6705
- Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:47 pm
Re: Favourite eras
This has got me thinking.Orange Box wrote: ↑Fri Sep 18, 2026 5:24 am Before answering, I find its it’s always best to look at the question. In this instance the question is ‘which is your favourite era’. Not ‘best’, but ‘favourite’.
Football isn’t about results, who was the best team, the best player, it’s about the experience - whether that’s at the game, on the telly, or screaming at a computer with a dodgy feed - and for me, quite simply, my favourite era is now.
So I’ll see you on Sunday, Leeds.
(Written by an old guy, in bed with a cup of tea, not AI)
The pre Wilko years under Eddie Gray (unfairly dismissed at the time) and Billy Bremner were some of my favourite moments.
Low crowds but still sounded loud at ER, Sheridan,Wright, Sellers and Irwin all coming through at the same time all marshalled by Lorimer whose legs had gone but not the quality.
Then under Bremner, first ever play-offs and the semi-final cup run.
It seemed more innocent but probably wasn’t, but that’s nostalgia for you.
- Tyzy
- Manager

- Posts: 4214
- Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:09 pm
- Location: Leeds
Re: Favourite eras
Obviously Revie but the Wilkinson era for me really as it was when I had a season ticket and went to a few away games.That Wilko team was pretty damn good
The Sheff Utd game when we sealed the Div 1 title was particularly memorable
The Sheff Utd game when we sealed the Div 1 title was particularly memorable
- The Subhuman
- Superstar

- Posts: 79013
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
- Location: God's own county
Re: Favourite eras
Sort of, we didn't actualy seal it till Manure lost later on the same day. I still remember the TV pictures of Lee Chapman sitting at home with fellow Leeds team mates watching us win the title. Great game though, not for the faint hearted
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
- Jaydog
- Superstar

- Posts: 21205
- Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
- Location: Here
Re: Favourite eras
Lambs ears probably. Or maybe bats.
Ah sorry…
Ah sorry…
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
- Jaydog
- Superstar

- Posts: 21205
- Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
- Location: Here
Re: Favourite eras
Beat me to it I see….
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
-
Jammy 07
- Manager

- Posts: 3821
- Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:09 am
Re: Favourite eras
Yes we got back home from Bramhall Lane in time to watch the Man U defeat at Liverpool and then just went mentalThe Subhuman wrote: ↑Fri Sep 18, 2026 10:45 am Sort of, we didn't actualy seal it till Manure lost later on the same day. I still remember the TV pictures of Lee Chapman sitting at home with fellow Leeds team mates watching us win the title. Great game though, not for the faint hearted
-
Wes Lee Street
- Youth Team

- Posts: 105
- Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:53 am
- John in Louisiana
- Site Contributor

- Posts: 13923
- Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:09 pm
- Location: No Longer Lousiana - Southern Illinois
-
DavidH
- Youth Team

- Posts: 213
- Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:27 am
Re: Favourite eras
Anyone old enough to see the Revie teams won't have to think twice about which era was the best. Watching Leeds then, you went to the game not wondering whether we would win, but how many goals we would win by. We were imperious and, as a result, disliked by many other teams' fans. Dare I say, it was the same when the Manchester Utd team were winning so many trophies under Ferguson.
Setting the Revie team aside, I really did like the O'Leary teams. Kewell, Bowyer, Viduka, Woodgate, Harte, Bridges, Smith etc were young and hungry for success. For a while it looked as though the sky was the limit. We played fabulous, fast-paced football with flair. Numerous commentators said we were everybody's favourite second team because of our style of play. I remember on MOTD Alan Hansen waxing lyrical about the play, and his host quoting his statement (I'm guessing from years earlier referring to Man U) "you win nothing with kids", to which Alan concurred with a wry smile. Great times, as we seemed to be on a path to dominate the game for years. I don't need to add what happened next!
Setting the Revie team aside, I really did like the O'Leary teams. Kewell, Bowyer, Viduka, Woodgate, Harte, Bridges, Smith etc were young and hungry for success. For a while it looked as though the sky was the limit. We played fabulous, fast-paced football with flair. Numerous commentators said we were everybody's favourite second team because of our style of play. I remember on MOTD Alan Hansen waxing lyrical about the play, and his host quoting his statement (I'm guessing from years earlier referring to Man U) "you win nothing with kids", to which Alan concurred with a wry smile. Great times, as we seemed to be on a path to dominate the game for years. I don't need to add what happened next!
- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155188
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
Re: Favourite eras
Indeed David.DavidH wrote: ↑Fri Sep 18, 2026 12:31 pm Anyone old enough to see the Revie teams won't have to think twice about which era was the best. Watching Leeds then, you went to the game not wondering whether we would win, but how many goals we would win by. We were imperious and, as a result, disliked by many other teams' fans. Dare I say, it was the same when the Manchester Utd team were winning so many trophies under Ferguson.
Setting the Revie team aside, I really did like the O'Leary teams. Kewell, Bowyer, Viduka, Woodgate, Harte, Bridges, Smith etc were young and hungry for success. For a while it looked as though the sky was the limit. We played fabulous, fast-paced football with flair. Numerous commentators said we were everybody's favourite second team because of our style of play. I remember on MOTD Alan Hansen waxing lyrical about the play, and his host quoting his statement (I'm guessing from years earlier referring to Man U) "you win nothing with kids", to which Alan concurred with a wry smile. Great times, as we seemed to be on a path to dominate the game for years. I don't need to add what happened next!
The Revie-era & the longivety of Don's reign at Leeds was uniquely special.
- John in Louisiana
- Site Contributor

- Posts: 13923
- Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:09 pm
- Location: No Longer Lousiana - Southern Illinois
Re: Favourite eras
While it's a little early to say - we'll know a lot more come 1 November - I'd say this year's team is better than any of the sides we fielded under Bielsa.
That being said, the original question didn't ask which era had the best team, it asked which era was our favourite. Revie's teams will always be my favourites. The good feeling Bielsa brought to being a Leeds fan through his first few years was something truly special, but I find myself enjoying this go-round even more.
I guess it's simply my preference for the sublime over the spectacular.