Brum v Leeds - Team/Reports/Ratings...21 Defeats & Counting

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
User avatar
hibbi86
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1367
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:56 pm
Twitter: @Hibbi86
Location: Wakefield / London

Re: Brum v Leeds - Team/Reports/Ratings...21 Defeats & Count

Post by hibbi86 »

More proof that stats lie!

haha
Forever and ever we shall follow are team, because we're Leeds United we rule supreme!
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155299
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Brum v Leeds - Team/Reports/Ratings...21 Defeats & Count

Post by 1964white »

hibbi86 wrote:
More proof that stats lie!

haha
Couldn't agree with you more Hibbi

Whilst Ya Ya Austin is part of our engine-room we'll achieve nothing :(
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79071
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Brum v Leeds - Team/Reports/Ratings...21 Defeats & Count

Post by The Subhuman »

Stats never lie, they just get interpreted and used badly...
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 10635
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:47 am
Twitter: @MartynStead
Location: and Momentum both uncertain

Re: Brum v Leeds - Team/Reports/Ratings...21 Defeats & Count

Post by Martyn »

faaip wrote:Stats never lie, they just get interpreted and used badly...
Spot on.
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
User avatar
theleedsmango
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1948
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:32 pm

Re: Brum v Leeds - Team/Reports/Ratings...21 Defeats & Count

Post by theleedsmango »

I'm not arguing that Austin is better than Murphy...I will also not argue that Austin is a top midfielder... I will also not argue that we should or should not build a team around Austin... I will also not argue that, in part or fully, Austin's performance has or has not been impacted upon, either positively or negatively, by Brian McDermott's tactics and team selections... I will also not argue over Brian McDermotts future....

But...now that the much needed disclaimer is out of the way to keep this on track...hopefully someone can reasonably answer my question. If Austin is as bad as people say on here, and that's pretty bad - some saying he shouldn't even be a professional footballer, how come his stats are quite decent? They are misinterpreted, but still the amount of tackles and passes are quite impressive. I've only been to 3 games live, and watched a few on telly, so I'm genuinely interested on other people's opinions.

His shot accuracy is obviously poor, so that aside, is he poor because the rest are poor or is are his tackles fruitless, his accurate passes pointless and his overall contribution negligible?

I've also asked the same about Tom Cleverly, who has not only been selected continuously by some of the best potential spotting managers in the league, Fergie and Moyes, but also by someone who has played regularly with him, Giggs, and is favoured by the England manager...yet by all accounts, Scum fans call him useless and stealing a living.

Also it's a bit of poor judgement comparing him with Yaya toure. There isn't many midfielders in the world that could even remotely compare to Toures impact...nevermind one that a struggling Championship team with zero budget can attract. Lionel Murphy, Vincent Pearce and Zlatan Smith wouldn't make fair comparisons either.
"Please understand that the theory that every Leeds discussion converges to a finite, but uninformed, debate on the Chairman is one we must all question and actively counter" - Stephen Hawkings
User avatar
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 16442
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:46 am

Re: Brum v Leeds - Team/Reports/Ratings...21 Defeats & Count

Post by HarryofOz »

theleedsmango wrote:I'm not arguing that Austin is better than Murphy...I will also not argue that Austin is a top midfielder... I will also not argue that we should or should not build a team around Austin... I will also not argue that, in part or fully, Austin's performance has or has not been impacted upon, either positively or negatively, by Brian McDermott's tactics and team selections... I will also not argue over Brian McDermotts future....

But...now that the much needed disclaimer is out of the way to keep this on track...hopefully someone can reasonably answer my question. If Austin is as bad as people say on here, and that's pretty bad - some saying he shouldn't even be a professional footballer, how come his stats are quite decent? They are misinterpreted, but still the amount of tackles and passes are quite impressive. I've only been to 3 games live, and watched a few on telly, so I'm genuinely interested on other people's opinions.

His shot accuracy is obviously poor, so that aside, is he poor because the rest are poor or is are his tackles fruitless, his accurate passes pointless and his overall contribution negligible?

I've also asked the same about Tom Cleverly, who has not only been selected continuously by some of the best potential spotting managers in the league, Fergie and Moyes, but also by someone who has played regularly with him, Giggs, and is favoured by the England manager...yet by all accounts, Scum fans call him useless and stealing a living.

Also it's a bit of poor judgement comparing him with Yaya toure. There isn't many midfielders in the world that could even remotely compare to Toures impact...nevermind one that a struggling Championship team with zero budget can attract. Lionel Murphy, Vincent Pearce and Zlatan Smith wouldn't make fair comparisons either.
Because Austin is not that bad. Nor is anyone else at Leeds and nor is any other professional footballer earning a living as a professional footballer in any leading footballing country. None of our players are rubbish, none are deadwood. If deadwood, rubbish footballers could earn thousands of pounds a week then I'd be doing it and so would many other people.

Now don't get me wrong I don't rate Austin highly and I think he, and many others at Leeds, are pretty average footballers who cannot sustain a high enough level for long enough for us to be competitive in terms of promotion. But none of them are totally useless, or they'd never play well which they do. The problem is how often they play well not whether they have any ability.

Personally I don't use stats to judge players or teams. For example if the vast majority of Austin's passes are sideways or backwards then they don't achieve much and are not made under pressure. Austin would be one of the first players I'd get rid of but I'd not call him rubbish or deadwood.

And you are right, the effectiveness of all our players have been impacted by McDermott's tactics. I don't care who you have in your team, I will always argue that the team will be better playing passing possession football than hoofing it. We may not be able to play as well as Barcelona or Liverpool or Bayern Munich but that doesn't mean we shouldn't play football the right way.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
User avatar
hibbi86
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1367
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:56 pm
Twitter: @Hibbi86
Location: Wakefield / London

Re: Brum v Leeds - Team/Reports/Ratings...21 Defeats & Count

Post by hibbi86 »

Just out of curiosity,

I wonder how many people on this site would put Austin/Tom Lees in their top 5 for players performance this season.

1 Person i feel receives more critisim than justified is Paddy Kenny.
Forever and ever we shall follow are team, because we're Leeds United we rule supreme!
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155299
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Brum v Leeds - Team/Reports/Ratings...21 Defeats & Count

Post by 1964white »

hibbi86 wrote:Just out of curiosity,

I wonder how many people on this site would put Austin/Tom Lees in their top 5 for players performance this season.

1 Person i feel receives more critisim than justified is Paddy Kenny.
Neither Ya Ya Austin & hoofer Lees would get in my squad let alone in the my top 5 :lol:

Yes the criticism Kenny received from some is unjustified, alright he made a few clangers but he saved us singlely-handed in many games
User avatar
theleedsmango
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1948
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:32 pm

Re: Brum v Leeds - Team/Reports/Ratings...21 Defeats & Count

Post by theleedsmango »

4 of my top 5 would be Luis McCormack, Zlatan Smith, Lionel Murphy and Vincent Pearce. After that, it's a battle royal...though I think Andres Brown would just pip it out.
"Please understand that the theory that every Leeds discussion converges to a finite, but uninformed, debate on the Chairman is one we must all question and actively counter" - Stephen Hawkings
MeeTa
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4456
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:41 pm
Twitter: @EirikOstrem
Location: A place you cant afford to live

Re: Brum v Leeds - Team/Reports/Ratings...21 Defeats & Count

Post by MeeTa »

theleedsmango wrote:4 of my top 5 would be Luis McCormack, Zlatan Smith, Lionel Murphy and Vincent Pearce. After that, it's a battle royal...though I think Andres Brown would just pip it out.


Pretty much agree with that. bottom though im not completely sure other than YaYa Austin and Christiano Kebe
Image
Post Reply