Leeds v Newcastle - Team/News/Reports

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds v Newcastle - Team/News/Reports

Post by weasel »

eastyorkshirewhite wrote:If you have read before what i have said about he his a good player but the way he has got 3 of his bookings out of the five is stupid its easy enough to get a yellow card these days so he needs to cut out the way he has recieved them he is of no use been suspended.
Fully agree. And for those saying better he miss the Rotherham game than others I hope you are saying the same if we fail to beat Rotherham.
The Fish
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by The Fish »

Morning chaps,

Thought we were a little disjointed at Elland Road with our wide men providing very little threat. The front line gave away possession quite cheaply, and Ritchie and Gouffran were fairly anonymous throughout. Reckon a lot of that was the good defensive work done by your fullbacks. I think had Benitez known Monk would keep his wingers back, he may have started Yedlin rather than Anita, as the former adds so much going forward that the latter simply can't.

I'm not a huge fan of Colback, but he had a good game by his standards. Still prone to the silly yellow and doesn't have the range that he thinks he does, but a good game none-the-less. Gayle is very much the end of the equation rather than part of the solution, so although he seemed fairly isolated, that's ok as, really, we don't need him linking up and creating owt, his contribution is to stretch the back line and put the ball in the back of the net.

Thought Darlow had a good game between the sticks and looked pretty comfortable. The centrebacks were all right but Lascelles seemed a bit panicky with the clearances, especially during the parts of the game when your tails were up.

On your team, Green's error changed the game as, while we were fairly dominant for large portions, that clanger settled our nerves and added to yours. I know people are explaining why he couldn't catch it, but with an advancing striker like Gayle, just punch it, surely?

Jansson didn't impress me much, and his yellow card was really silly, but one game isn't enough time to make any kind of judgement really. That said, Taylor was really impressive. Defensively he hardly let Ritchie have a sniff and going forward he was a threat, more so than Doukara and Roofe. I thought Ayling was poor and often attacking opportunities broke down with a misplaced cross/corner, but mates said he was very good, so what do I know?

Didn't think your midfield closed down Shelvey and Colback enough and when the game became stretched we really had too much time on the ball.

Wood was isolated and a lot of the balls up to him were asking too much of him.

All in all I can see why you've been beating sides and I'd not be surprised to see you up in the play offs come the end of the season.
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Post by Oscar »

I was impressed by Newcastle particularly Lascelles, Shelvey and Gayle. I thought first half we played ok, we were poor in the second half, however, overall I am not too concerned by the result. First 20 minutes we couldn't keep the ball we kept winning it back and giving it away again straight away. Second half was disappointing because when we went 2-0 down (although we were unlucky to go 2-0 down), I never felt the players had the belief that they could get 1 goal back and get the 36,000 in the ground fully behind them to get a 2nd goal.
I thought the defence played well, the midfield was the problem in my opinion.
To be honest, I can't believe Wood is being criticised he did everything he possibly could have done chased everything down linked up play the 3 players behind him didn't help him enough. It seriously wouldn't have mattered if we had Luis Suarez or Aguero up front yesterday we still wouldn't have scored as the midfield was so poor yesterday.
Player Ratings:
Green 3- How many more errors is he going to make? He is on at least 6 this season and has got away with a lot of other errors that haven't led to goals.
Ayling 7- I thought he did well defensively, wasn't able to get forward often.
Bartley 6- Gave the ball away a few times, however, did ok defensively.
Jansson 7- Good game overall on the ball he is superb and did well against Gayle for most of the game.
Taylor 8- Man Of The Match, Did unbelievably well against Ritchie, Charlie got forward well as well.
Viera 6- I thought Ronaldo did really well in the first half, struggled a little bit in the second half, however.
O'Kane 5- His passing was poor by Eunan's standards.
Roofe 5- Had a good first half, poor second half. Out of position.
Phillips 4- An awful performance from Kalvin, his set pieces were absolutely terrible. Was playing out of position, hpwever. I think Mowatt would have done well yesterday in a game like that one.
Doukara 5- Similar game to Roofe.
Wood 7- Won every header, played some good passes, worked hard and couldn't have done more than what he did.
Substitutions:
Sacko 7- Had a good impact when he came on.
Antonsson 5- Woeful and I don't think he touched the ball once. Wood had played 2 full 90 minutes of international games and the whole game vs Newcastle and was still working harder and looking more interested than Antonsson :-x .
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote:Cooper will have blinder. :tup:
Lets hope his time on the sidelines & improved coaching ensures he has a blinder
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Post by Oscar »

weasel wrote:Fully agree. And for those saying better he miss the Rotherham game than others I hope you are saying the same if we fail to beat Rotherham.
To be honest mate, if we have to play Cooper for one game I would prefer him to play against Rotherham, rather than the likes of Villa, Brighton and Reading etc.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gary Shaw wrote:I was impressed by Newcastle particularly Lascelles, Shelvey and Gayle. I thought first half we played ok, we were poor in the second half, however, overall I am not too concerned by the result. First 20 minutes we couldn't keep the ball we kept winning it back and giving it away again straight away. Second half was disappointing because when we went 2-0 down (although we were unlucky to go 2-0 down), I never felt the players had the belief that they could get 1 goal back and get the 36,000 in the ground fully behind them to get a 2nd goal.
I thought the defence played well, the midfield was the problem in my opinion.
To be honest, I can't believe Wood is being criticised he did everything he possibly could have done chased everything down linked up play the 3 players behind him didn't help him enough. It seriously wouldn't have mattered if we had Luis Suarez or Aguero up front yesterday we still wouldn't have scored as the midfield was so poor yesterday.
Player Ratings:
Green 3- How many more errors is he going to make? He is on at least 6 this season and has got away with a lot of other errors that haven't led to goals.
Ayling 7- I thought he did well defensively, wasn't able to get forward often.
Bartley 6- Gave the ball away a few times, however, did ok defensively.
Jansson 7- Good game overall on the ball he is superb and did well against Gayle for most of the game.
Taylor 8- Man Of The Match, Did unbelievably well against Ritchie, Charlie got forward well as well.
Viera 6- I thought Ronaldo did really well in the first half, struggled a little bit in the second half, however.
O'Kane 5- His passing was poor by Eunan's standards.
Roofe 5- Had a good first half, poor second half. Out of position.
Phillips 4- An awful performance from Kalvin, his set pieces were absolutely terrible. Was playing out of position, hpwever. I think Mowatt would have done well yesterday in a game like that one.
Doukara 5- Similar game to Roofe.
Wood 7- Won every header, played some good passes, worked hard and couldn't have done more than what he did.
Substitutions:
Sacko 7- Had a good impact when he came on.
Antonsson 5- Woeful and I don't think he touched the ball once. Wood had played 2 full 90 minutes of international games and the whole game vs Newcastle and was still working harder and looking more interested than Antonsson :-x .
Roofe, Phillips, Vieira, Doukara are all in the team because of injuries to key players, we may have got away with it against a lesser side than Newcastle

Still have my reservations about Roofe, Doukara & Antonsson

Green needs to go, that was his last chance for me, looked more like a netball player than a pro-footballer
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote:Fully agree. And for those saying better he miss the Rotherham game than others I hope you are saying the same if we fail to beat Rotherham.
I really do fear the Rotherham game now, they are the type of team who regularly lump the ball in the box. Cooper needs to attack everything & not stand around ball watching like a lemon !
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Post by Oscar »

eastyorkshirewhite wrote:Thats the kiss of death of him now after all comparisions you have made about former players going wrong also i feel that is an insult to Rio who played for all his time against players of top quality.
Ferdinand had some poor games for Leeds from what I can remember, very good overall, however, never really became world class in my opinion until he went to Man United in my opinion. Pontus isn't as good as Ferdinand at the moment, still only 25 so has plenty of time to become as good as Ferdinand in the future in my opinion. Pontus reminds me more of Lucas because of the passion he shows as well, Lucas was the same age as Pontus when he signed for Leeds and hadn't been playing against the top teams for Kaizer Chiefs, maybe like Lucas, Pontus will be able to put in the same performances vs the top teams Liverpool next week will be interesting for Pontus.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gary Shaw wrote:Ferdinand had some poor games for Leeds from what I can remember, very good overall, however, never really became world class in my opinion until he went to Man United in my opinion. Pontus isn't as good as Ferdinand at the moment, still only 25 so has plenty of time to become as good as Ferdinand in the future in my opinion. Pontus reminds me more of Lucas because of the passion he shows as well, Lucas was the same age as Pontus when he signed for Leeds and hadn't been playing against the top teams for Kaizer Chiefs, maybe like Lucas, Pontus will be able to put in the same performances vs the top teams Liverpool next week will be interesting for Pontus.
Pontus reminds me of Kisnorbo, an upgrade on Paddy of course but he has the same brave, bruising qualities where he'll put his head where it hurts & his body on the line for the team

As for Rio he was our most cultured & best centre-back of the modern-era

Loved Radebe too, goes without saying :tup: a true gentleman
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

We just didnt get going did we, other than the spell either side of HT when we should have had a pen and O'Kane forced a good save from their keeper. The disappointment was that having got 36k at the ground we were generally second best for much of the game.
No shame overall, Newcastle are going to walk this league with the players and top coach they have. They are far too good for this league.

Yesterday showed that for all their promise Phillips and Viera are a long long way off the finished article. But to be fair they were playing against two lads who have played countless games in the Prem. It was a mismatch really. This is where the stubbornness of Garry Monk in not giving Big Dave a chance again is perhaps costing us. I doubt they would have bossed the midfield as much if he had played instead of one of the kids. That said, we dont see what's going on in training to be fair. #

I am at a loss at some folk criticising Wood. I really dont think he did a lot wrong. Such little service throughout.

Ayling the standout for sure. What a terrific signing he has turned out to be.

The return of Bridcutt cant come soon enough now - just hope it doesnt take him too long to get up to scratch after being out for quite a long period. A shame to hear also that Rotherham will be too soon for Pablo too. We need BOTH of these guys in our first team if we want to maintain any hope of play offs.
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
gessa

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote:Lets hope his time on the sidelines & improved coaching ensures he has a blinder
Playing for as place at Liverpool, will see him play a blinder. :wink:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Gurj wrote:We just didnt get going did we, other than the spell either side of HT when we should have had a pen and O'Kane forced a good save from their keeper. The disappointment was that having got 36k at the ground we were generally second best for much of the game.
No shame overall, Newcastle are going to walk this league with the players and top coach they have. They are far too good for this league.

Yesterday showed that for all their promise Phillips and Viera are a long long way off the finished article. But to be fair they were playing against two lads who have played countless games in the Prem. It was a mismatch really. This is where the stubbornness of Garry Monk in not giving Big Dave a chance again is perhaps costing us. I doubt they would have bossed the midfield as much if he had played instead of one of the kids. That said, we dont see what's going on in training to be fair. #

I am at a loss at some folk criticising Wood. I really dont think he did a lot wrong. Such little service throughout.

Ayling the standout for sure. What a terrific signing he has turned out to be.

The return of Bridcutt cant come soon enough now - just hope it doesnt take him too long to get up to scratch after being out for quite a long period. A shame to hear also that Rotherham will be too soon for Pablo too. We need BOTH of these guys in our first team if we want to maintain any hope of play offs.
I'm not saying Wood did anything wrong he's just a limited player probably playing at his peak right now.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

The Fish wrote:Morning chaps,

Thought we were a little disjointed at Elland Road with our wide men providing very little threat. The front line gave away possession quite cheaply, and Ritchie and Gouffran were fairly anonymous throughout. Reckon a lot of that was the good defensive work done by your fullbacks. I think had Benitez known Monk would keep his wingers back, he may have started Yedlin rather than Anita, as the former adds so much going forward that the latter simply can't.

I'm not a huge fan of Colback, but he had a good game by his standards. Still prone to the silly yellow and doesn't have the range that he thinks he does, but a good game none-the-less. Gayle is very much the end of the equation rather than part of the solution, so although he seemed fairly isolated, that's ok as, really, we don't need him linking up and creating owt, his contribution is to stretch the back line and put the ball in the back of the net.

Thought Darlow had a good game between the sticks and looked pretty comfortable. The centrebacks were all right but Lascelles seemed a bit panicky with the clearances, especially during the parts of the game when your tails were up.

On your team, Green's error changed the game as, while we were fairly dominant for large portions, that clanger settled our nerves and added to yours. I know people are explaining why he couldn't catch it, but with an advancing striker like Gayle, just punch it, surely?

Jansson didn't impress me much, and his yellow card was really silly, but one game isn't enough time to make any kind of judgement really. That said, Taylor was really impressive. Defensively he hardly let Ritchie have a sniff and going forward he was a threat, more so than Doukara and Roofe. I thought Ayling was poor and often attacking opportunities broke down with a misplaced cross/corner, but mates said he was very good, so what do I know?

Didn't think your midfield closed down Shelvey and Colback enough and when the game became stretched we really had too much time on the ball.

Wood was isolated and a lot of the balls up to him were asking too much of him.

All in all I can see why you've been beating sides and I'd not be surprised to see you up in the play offs come the end of the season.
Can't really disagree with any of this and I think Ayling flattered too. He did ok but if he was MOTM then I need to stop watching football. Taylor though not at his best this season is still a class apart
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Gary Shaw wrote:To be honest mate, if we have to play Cooper for one game I would prefer him to play against Rotherham, rather than the likes of Villa, Brighton and Reading etc.
What I mean is that if we lose to Rotherham as a direct result of Pontus not playing then it matters not if he plays v Villa etc - 3 points are 3 points and take 1 game at a time.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Screenshot 2016-11-21 at 16.13.27.png
Screenshot 2016-11-21 at 16.15.50.png
Gary Speed's parents before the game
Screenshot 2016-11-21 at 16.19.25.png
Nice tribute from the Leeds players to Gary
Screenshot 2016-11-21 at 16.21.34.png
Crude
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Crude »

I thought we played at least equal to Newcastle. They aren't head and shoulders above us, even with a world-class manager and Prem-class players. Green was appalling, but really had little to do otherwise. Ayling looked fine defending, but was too out of control going forward... misplacing passes, ill-advised shots, etc... MoTM for him? Nope.

Viera and Bartley lost track Gayle on the second goal, but that seems to be a one-off up until that time. Not sure what Jansson and Green where doing with Gayle on the first. Lack of communication seemed obvious to me. Desperately missed Hernandez, and I was baffled why Sacko didn't start. And then when he did come on, Green was hoofing everything over his head and bypassing the midfield. Same with Antonsson, just could get a hold of a ball in his short time on the pitch, and it wasn't his fault really.

Calvin looked lost most of the time. Had two great corner opportunities, but totally whiffed on them. MoTM -- O'Kane, with another decent showing, but not enough help around him. Had a great shot on goal, if only Wood was in position for it, instead of playing on his back foot most of the match. We just looked too ponderous going forward, but at least didn't give Newcastle the opportunity to run at us.

Probably our worst match of the last couple months, and it still wasn't awful. Newcastle just barely a tick above us at the moment.
RIP Twiggster, March 5, 2023

Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000

Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

gessa wrote:
Just back from an 11 hour stint in the pub, far to incoherent to comment too much but not overly disappointed, when you look at the difference in spending power etc, we did ok, not going to meet a better team all season and not disgraced. Just need to pick ourselves up and learn from it.
I missed this little gem on first reading. That shows serious dedication mate. You should really be getting the hang of this imbibing lark by now. 10/10 :tup: :roflmao:
gessa

Post by gessa »

Norm wrote:I missed this little gem on first reading. That shows serious dedication mate. You should really be getting the hang of this imbibing lark by now. 10/10 :tup: :roflmao:

Too much dedication Norm, not got a lot done today.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

gessa wrote:

Too much dedication Norm, not got a lot done today.
None of us over 40 should go on benders - trouble is they sneak up on you don't they.
What seems like a good idea the night before........
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

I missed that too Gessa......wow 11 hour Bender......fair play mate....I am lucky if I can handle one of half that duration these days lol
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!