Rotherham v Leeds - Team/Reports/Ratings

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Rotherham v Leeds - Team/Reports/Ratings

Post by The Subhuman »

5 players out from what I'd consider our strongest team so it shows we have depth at least. Always difficult to play ten men and we took the foot off the accelerator after the second and played soft. ...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Crude
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Crude »

Ronan wrote:Shameful
Don't think it was quite that level. Newcastle got done by Blackburn at home, but at least we got the 3 points.

Missed Jansson today, but Bartley put in a MoTM to keep it together just long enough. Missing Hernandez again, as midfield was spraying passes all over the place except to where they needed to go. Ayling makes me nervous every time he starts dribbling, and wasted plenty of potential passes. Cooper did okay, and Taylor also had some very bright moments. I want to really love Calvin, but he just isn't there yet. The potential is there, but again, just too many wayward balls. Still not sure why is he is taking corners.

Sacko never really got going, but love his effort and determination even when the rest of his game goes to crap. Roofe did okay, again the potential is there and thought going against the league bottom dwellers he might have a big game.

All in all, 3 very tough (our own doing, tbf) points on the road. Good teams get results like this even when things go slightly pear-shaped at times during the season.

Great to see Dallas back and Berardi getting a bit of time too.
RIP Twiggster, March 5, 2023

Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000

Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

yeah Shameful is harsh

Away
Yorkshire Derby
Half the team missing
Got comfortable early and basically tried to cruise.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Leeds winning 1-0, Odemwingie red carded after 30 minutes & the Millers are down to ten men, Halford crocked, Camp their keeper also crocked, two of their three substitutions used in the first half, then Leeds increase their lead right on half-time......

What could go wrong ?

Playing probably the worst team I've seen in the championship this season we all know what happened next :| It was quite apparent Rotherham would score as we invited unnecessary pressure due to sheer complacency & us Leeds fans would be put though a nerve-racking last few minutes. I nearly had a thrombi during that scramble at the death :wink:
Once again our midfield was overrun & our defence saved us from total embarrassment

Green 8
Ayling 7
Bartley 8
Cooper 7
Taylor 8
O'Kane 6
Phillips 4
Sacko 3
Roofe 5
Doukara 7
Wood 7

Subs : Dallas 4, Antonsson 4
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote:5 players out from what I'd consider our strongest team so it shows we have depth at least. Always difficult to play ten men and we took the foot off the accelerator after the second and played soft. ...
We need Bridcutt & Hernandez back as soon as possible
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

Well that was back to the Leeds we all know and errrrr loathe wasn't it! How much did we miss Pontus's calming influence at the back? Cooper did a decent job but we certainly looked far more frail and panicky than we have done with Pontus in the side. Not sure what happened to our midfield, we bossed it when they had 11 as soon as they are down to 10 we lost the plot. O'Kane looked like he had his boots on the wrong feet second half.

Green still worries me greatly, I know he made a good instinctive save in the scramble and nearly kept out their goal with a good effort at a save but his distribution is dire and he did get beat when Odemwingie was offside when he really shouldn't have done - we need a better option......Silvestri?
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

1964white wrote:We need Bridcutt & Hernandez back as soon as possible
Hernandez would have had a field day to day - would have used the extra space with far more effect, we never really looked like we had an extra man at any point.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

NorfolkWhite wrote:Hernandez would have had a field day to day - would have used the extra space with far more effect, we never really looked like we had an extra man at any point.
Very frustrating NW, we should have been looking at a convincing victory, in the end we were hanging on to gain our first win at Rotherham since 1982.

It's always very cold there, I couldn't feel my feet on the long walk back to the car even though I had my thermal socks & my boots on !
Ronan
Manager
Manager

Post by Ronan »

Sorry but i stand by that "shameful"....i had the choice of watching Ireland vs Australia in the rugby union but decided on a lonely existence watching Leeds instead.
I listened to the oohs and ahhs from the other room as i groaned at our inept performance against a virtually Sunday league outfit.....no excuses.....Ireland played with a passion....Leeds played at 25%...that's the galling thing....we could have massacred them....feel sorry for the fans who paid good money to see this.
Not happy.
Most plagiarists, like the drone, have neither taste to select, industry to acquire, nor skill to improve, but impudently pilfer the honey ready prepared, from the hive......
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

we're fifth in the league - cheer the eff up!
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

An excellent 3 points. We played poorly but until Rotherham's goal they hadn't even had a shot on target. The Sky commentary was, as usual, biased to make the performance seem worse than it was. It was hardly likely that Rotherham, even with 10 men, were going to simply come out and defend in the second half. As it was we defended reasonably comfortably and could have scored a couple of goals on the break, a 3rd goal would have killed them off.

We all know Leeds didn't play brilliantly but we got the 3 points and apart from the final 5 minutes it was comfortable, We also know Leeds can play better as we have seen them do it several times this season. Sometimes you just have to take the 3 points and move on. Teams win titles, without playing brilliantly and winning 6-0 every week. No one remembers the scrappy wins, when the team didn't play well, when they are being handed the trophies at the end of the season.

We also have to look at the fact that we were without our two most composed players in Pontus and Hernandez. You would have expected their calmness in possession to have made a big difference. Additionally it isn't always easy playing against 10 men as you just expect to get the win and expect there to be more space. Players seem to think they are then better than they are and start making silly decisions. I remember a sunday league match where we started with just 7 or 8 players (against 11) as a car full of players was running late. We held on for 20 minutes working our ar$es off. After 20 minutes our other players turned up and were quickly brought on and we simply imploded and conceded 3 quick goals despite it being 11 v 11. Football really is a strange game at times.

3 points in the bag v a bogey side, move on to the next match as we can and will play better in other matches and lose.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I've won cricket matches starting 7/8 v a full 11..and fairly frequently. Teams we have lost to playing 11 v 11. Germany lost 2 wars with home advantage and many more players

:|
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Too much doom and gloom on here. We have been far more positive in defeat in recent weeks.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

I'm with Ronan; chose to watch the game over the Ireland v Australia rugby and, bar the first 20 mins, thought we were pretty dire. Sloppy, complacent, no spark going forward, the only positive was the 3 points. I know winning ugly is a good thing, but the way the first half panned out for them, we really should have been putting them to the sword second half. They came back out, we didn't. Poor
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Ronan
Manager
Manager

Post by Ronan »

lufc1304 wrote:I'm with Ronan; chose to watch the game over the Ireland v Australia rugby and, bar the first 20 mins, thought we were pretty dire. Sloppy, complacent, no spark going forward, the only positive was the 3 points. I know winning ugly is a good thing, but the way the first half panned out for them, we really should have been putting them to the sword second half. They came back out, we didn't. Poor
:tup: Nick

Maybe we are spoilt by Ireland heroics.... Leeds are a half decent team....for some unknown reason we didn't play yesterday....5th is great but i just have my doubts :(
Most plagiarists, like the drone, have neither taste to select, industry to acquire, nor skill to improve, but impudently pilfer the honey ready prepared, from the hive......
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote:Too much doom and gloom on here. We have been far more positive in defeat in recent weeks.
Not the point Weasel

At 0-2 we should have wiped the floor with them when they had lost their main keeper/midielder/striker & were down to ten men. Through sheer complacency & a sloppy attitude we allowed one of the poorest championship sides I've ever witnessed back into the game & had we blew two points I don't think some fans would be so smug !

Monk has openly said he was very angry & unhappy with the second-half performance so why shouldn't someone like myself show displeasure who by the way froze his b*llocks off watching the game
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ronan wrote::tup: Nick

Maybe we are spoilt by Ireland heroics.... Leeds are a half decent team....for some unknown reason we didn't play yesterday....5th is great but i just have my doubts :(
We will be much better when we have Hernandez, Jansson & Bridcutt back however that performance was unacceptable.

Rotherham looked like a pub team & will definitely be relegated.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote:Not the point Weasel

At 0-2 we should have wiped the floor with them when they had lost their main keeper/midielder/striker & were down to ten men. Through sheer complacency & a sloppy attitude we allowed one of the poorest championship sides I've ever witnessed back into the game & had we blew two points I don't think some fans would be so smug !

Monk has openly said he was very angry & unhappy with the second-half performance so why shouldn't someone like myself show displeasure who by the way froze his b*llocks off watching the game
The point is we got 3 points. If we get into the play offs it will be because we pick up points when not playing well as opposed to dropping them when playing well.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote:The point is we got 3 points. If we get into the play offs it will be because we pick up points when not playing well as opposed to dropping them when playing well.
Not doubting the three points & I also realise it's a game we'd have lost last season

Our travelling fans who pay good money didn't deserve such ineptness, we'd all be picking up our P45's if we performed as bad as that in civvy street.

Anyway we do have a decent manager who won't defend that performance & will look to eradicate such a lackadaisical attitude from some of those players, Thankfully the culprits will find themselves on the bench shortly, shame when they had the chance to stand up & be counted, now they have made it easy for our injured players when fit again to walk straight back into the first eleven
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Post by Oscar »

My Review Of The Game