Liam Cooper

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Re: Liam Cooper

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

weasel wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:51 pm Not anti-american at all but I don't see ,what others do, in either of those 2 players and nationality has nothing to do with it. Tbh I hadn't even realised that the 2 players I had mentioned were the americans in our squad until you mentioned it. I like them both, great energy, both enthusiastic and hard working and with some fine tuning could both be great players. At the moment though the formation has them running about like headless chickens and maybe it is because they are used to playing this way, having come from RB clubs, they stand out more for doing it whereas the other players at the club don't do it as much because they simply aren't used to it.

Apologies, y'all, let's do a hoedown and all be friends.
I've never been to a hoedown. I think it's something people in the South put on for English Tourists....I suppose if there were enough beer it could be fun.
Football/Futbol/Soccer
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:09 pm I've never been to a hoedown. I think it's something people in the South put on for English Tourists....I suppose if there were enough beer it could be fun.
We can go for a 'Who's Line Is It Anyway?' style hoedown!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I rate Adams very highly, a top box to boxer for me who should only get better. But I don't think he's as good as Kalvin was at protecting the back 4. One of the DMF's has to drop back to be the third CB when needed, and not force the full back to cover.. Adams not doing that to much yet but willing to wait and see if this new formation allows it.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Think Weasel needs a hosedown
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

faaip wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:54 pm I rate Adams very highly, a top box to boxer for me who should only get better. But I don't think he's as good as Kalvin was at protecting the back 4. One of the DMF's has to drop back to be the third CB when needed, and not force the full back to cover.. Adams not doing that to much yet but willing to wait and see if this new formation allows it.
A good box to box player with no real end product and similarly to what you say not protecting the back 4 either. Has the attributes to be a decent player.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

faaip wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:55 pm Think Weasel needs a hosedown
Is that what they call a shower down your way?
Point duly noted, might try some of that deoderant stuff too.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

weasel wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:17 am Is that what they call a shower down your way?
Point duly noted, might try some of that deoderant stuff too.
Play on words
Madron
First Team
First Team

Post by Madron »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:23 pm I wasn't Bielsa's favourite fan, nor am I Cooper's, but Bielsa got the most out of him, by:-

i) Doing the basics well

ii) Reading the game, making sure he got in the right position

iii) Peak fitness and determination.
Not true, I heard he held you in high esteem EB. :)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

weasel wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:16 pm The pass from Cooper was a bit silly but equally Koch had plenty of time to get to the ball before Grealish. The problem was that Koch was having to look to see where his options were and you can't play around at the back and take your time against good opposition unless you have options. Contrast it to one sequence of play when Leeds pressed City high up the pitch in a concerted effort and City were under real pressure but they one-touched it out of the situation because their players were moving for each other and giving the player receiving the ball options so that they didn't need to look around.

When Bielsa came in to Leeds he didn't automatically make every player more comfortable on the ball and better passers. What he did was to make every player be moving all the time when a team mate had the ball. This meant the player had the options to pass and as such the passes were easier. Because players were moving into positions to receive the ball it also meant they received a pass that was easier to control as it wasn't being hit towards them by someone under pressure.
Indeed :tup:

Bloody hell he was good.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Liam Cooper today became the first player in Leeds United's history to play a game under 11 different managers in all competitions

Appearances by manager:
04 Hockaday
26 Redfearn
01 Milanic
09 Rosler
32 Evans
18 Monk
26 Christiansen
06 Heckingbottom
118 Bielsa
20 Marsch
01 Gracia
Cumbriarents
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Cumbriarents »

He gets a lot of stick does Liam but he has been a great servant to this club
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Cumbriarents wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:45 pm He gets a lot of stick does Liam but he has been a great servant to this club
Leeds legend, deserves respect...
Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Post by Clacton White »

1964white wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:39 pm Liam Cooper today became the first player in Leeds United's history to play a game under 11 different managers in all competitions

Appearances by manager:
04 Hockaday
26 Redfearn
01 Milanic
09 Rosler
32 Evans
18 Monk
26 Christiansen
06 Heckingbottom
118 Bielsa
20 Marsch
01 Gracia
There are some really poor managers on that list aren't there ! One who was excellent , a couple are maybe ok - decentish , one the jury is out on right now ....the rest are poor to awful . Half are maybe the pick of Orta , the one he got right beyond doubt ....... wasn't actually his idea ( thanks Massimo ! ) .
It's unfair to judge Gracia right now .
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Clacton White wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:26 am There are some really poor managers on that list aren't there ! One who was excellent , a couple are maybe ok - decentish , one the jury is out on right now ....the rest are poor to awful . Half are maybe the pick of Orta , the one he got right beyond doubt ....... wasn't actually his idea ( thanks Massimo ! ) .
It's unfair to judge Gracia right now .
The very reason why we have struggled for so many years, you have to question those above whom employed them. :roll:

Revie was correct, a club is only successful if the whole organisation is run efficiently from the very top right down to the tea-lady, sadly not the case at ER.

We only have to look at how Brighton & Brentford have progressed over the years, both coming up from League One.

Good management at the top/ambitious board.
Correct coaches employed.
Top scouts that recruit the right players to play for their club, without spending a fortune.
Have replacements ready, when selling their stars at huge fees, particularly Brighton.
Set-up so they are difficult to beat.
New stadiums.

It's embarrassing that these two clubs are seventeen points above us & will finish higher in the top half of the table, whilst we scramble around in a relegation battle once again
MightyWhites
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by MightyWhites »

1964white wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:58 am The very reason why we have struggled for so many years, you have to question those above whom employed them. :roll:

Revie was correct, a club is only successful if the whole organisation is run efficiently from the very top right down to the tea-lady, sadly not the case at ER.

We only have to look at how Brighton & Brentford have progressed over the years, both coming up from League One.

Good management at the top/ambitious board.
Correct coaches employed.
Top scouts that recruit the right players to play for their club, without spending a fortune.
Have replacements ready, when selling their stars at huge fees, particularly Brighton.
Set-up so they are difficult to beat.
New stadiums.

It's embarrassing that these two clubs are seventeen points above us & will finish higher in the top half of the table, whilst we scramble around in a relegation battle once again
You've hit the nail on the head!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Fulham

Good
8 defensive headers
5 blocks
5 tackles
5 excellent passes
4 defensive clearances
2 interceptions
1 decent cross (led to our goal)

Bad
3 poor passes
1 lost possession
1 dribbled past

Watched the game late afternoon today.

Coops was a rock at the back
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

1964white wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:17 pm Fulham

Good
8 defensive headers
5 blocks
5 tackles
5 excellent passes
4 defensive clearances
2 interceptions
1 decent cross (led to our goal)

Bad
3 poor passes
1 lost possession
1 dribbled past

Watched the game late afternoon today.

Coops was a rock at the back
One of those blocks was outstanding, certainly looked like a goal saved to me.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Barlow Boy wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:38 pm One of those blocks was outstanding, certainly looked like a goal saved to me.
It was excellent mate.

I still have to watch a re-run of the Leicester game, apparently he was very good last night.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Leicester

Good
5 defensive headers
5 excellent passes
2 defensive clearances
2 tackles
1 block

Bad
5 poor passes
2 lost possession
1 dribbled past
1 lost marker

Excellent first-half, awful ten minutes costing us the goal & almost another one which was ruled offside. Coops not as efficient as he was against Fulham.
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

1964white wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:56 pm Leicester

Good
5 defensive headers
5 excellent passes
2 defensive clearances
2 tackles
1 block

Bad
5 poor passes
2 lost possession
1 dribbled past
1 lost marker

Excellent first-half, awful ten minutes costing us the goal & almost another one which was ruled offside. Coops not as efficient as he was against Fulham.
I think key takeaway is that if he looks tired at all, it’s time to replace him. Hasn’t played much in a while so might not be fully match fit.
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United