Kalvin Phillips

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Madron
First Team
First Team

Re: Kalvin Phillips

Post by Madron »

Villa ffs ? I suppose Brentford are faves to get Raphinha too.
VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by VinnysTattoo »

Why would he want to go to Villa anyhow. Challenging for the top 4 slots? Hardly likely.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Arsenal apparently interested in him now, could be whites influence on him, seeing as they're best buddies.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Weasel floated this idea so here we go . . . .

Tin hat on

If you were in charge and a club offered £70mil for KP this summer would you take it?

Keeping in mind he wouldn't be playing the same role Bielsa used him in which is the only role he has ever shone in.

He doesn't look anywhere near as good for England next to Declan Rice in the role Southgate uses him in and that according to Marsch is similar to how he would use him.

And he is very injury prone over the last few years missing dozens of matches.

So what would you do?
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Cjay wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:22 pm Weasel floated this idea so here we go . . . .

Tin hat on

If you were in charge and a club offered £70mil for KP this summer would you take it?

Keeping in mind he wouldn't be playing the same role Bielsa used him in which is the only role he has ever shone in.

He doesn't look anywhere near as good for England next to Declan Rice in the role Southgate uses him in and that according to Marsch is similar to how he would use him.

So what would you do?
Yes.
hector

Post by hector »

yup
sell the biscuit bugger ;-) :)
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:22 pm Weasel floated this idea so here we go . . . .

Tin hat on

So what would you do?
I would sell and hope we spend the money wisely. Whilst we'd have to do really well to get a player as good as KP if we got someone who was a lot better than Forshaw or Koch in the role and wasn't as injury prone then we'd probably be better. Shame we don't have Bielsa to be able to work the wonders on a new player like he did with KP (although it can be argued Bielsa didn't work the same magic with AF or RK). I wonder how well Lewis O'Brien would be doing now if we'd signed him as he'd have had plenty of opportunity to play matches and appeared to have better attributes for the position than AF or RK.

However if we are changing the formation so that KP's role is not as vital and we'd likely have to buy another central midfielder in the KP mould then if we could afford to keep him and he wanted to stay then I would keep him.
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

Cjay wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:22 pm He doesn't look anywhere near as good for England next to Declan Rice in the role Southgate uses him in and that according to Marsch is similar to how he would use him.
Seems a bit harsh.

Philips was England's player of the year 2020/21 and got on many pundits Team of the Euros last summer, like the Guardian. In fact recall some pundits had him down as player of the tournament.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Mountain wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:38 pm Seems a bit harsh.

Philips was England's player of the year 2020/21 and got on many pundits Team of the Euros last summer, like the Guardian. In fact recall some pundits had him down as player of the tournament.
It does I know.

I don't know about you though but I never felt he stood out particularly for England in that role with Rice.

Rice for me is a far more rounded player incidentally, doesn't have KP's passing range but aside from that I'd say he is better.

Many said similar on here about how Southagate didn't know how to use him and the role didn't suit him.

Does seem harsh as you say but it was an opinion reflected on here regarding his role.
Signed

King Cjay

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Phillips outplayed Rice for the most part in the Euros...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Blimey, after reading some comments on here of folk happy for him to move on I'd be a bit upset if I was Kalvin....I'd be straight off to Radz office telling him "The supporters don't want me any more I'm off!"
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

...I do want him to stay mind.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:50 pm Blimey, after reading some comments on here of folk happy for him to move on I'd be a bit upset if I was Kalvin....I'd be straight off to Radz office telling him "The supporters don't want me any more I'm off!"
Sell Kalvin & we are relegated.

We are poor when KP is unavailable. Who the hell would replace him? We ain't getting Rice or Kante.
hector

Post by hector »

whiteswan wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:50 pm Blimey, after reading some comments on here of folk happy for him to move on I'd be a bit upset if I was Kalvin....I'd be straight off to Radz office telling him "The supporters don't want me any more I'm off!"
He's a crock Duckie..... nowt but a liabillity, spends nearly as much time on his back as Forshaw..........

:)
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

1964white wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:02 pm Sell Kalvin & we are relegated.

We are poor when KP is unavailable. Who the hell would replace him? We ain't getting Rice or Kante.
Bielsa's record was dire granted, but Marsch is currently 50% without him. He may not even suit the new system as well, we will just have to wait and see.

Also we're not in a position where we could reject £70m!
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Cjay wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:11 pm It does I know.

I don't know about you though but I never felt he stood out particularly for England in that role with Rice.

Rice for me is a far more rounded player incidentally, doesn't have KP's passing range but aside from that I'd say he is better.

Many said similar on here about how Southagate didn't know how to use him and the role didn't suit him.

Does seem harsh as you say but it was an opinion reflected on here regarding his role.
Disagree tbh. I think Rice is completely bang average and only rated as he's English. If he was still Irish, he'd be worth £10m max.

There's a reason Real Madrid were looking at Kalvin and not Rice. Rice is a limited player.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

SG90 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:06 pm Disagree tbh. I think Rice is completely bang average and only rated as he's English. If he was still Irish, he'd be worth £10m max.

There's a reason Real Madrid were looking at Kalvin and not Rice. Rice is a limited player.
Agree to disagree mate.

I am very grateful for everything KP has done but imo Rice is a much more rounded player.

Scores more goals, creates more chances, dispossessed less, makes more interceptions, makes more clearances, more blocks per game, far higher pass success rate.

I'd say it's KP who is the more limited player atm.
Signed

King Cjay

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Good to have you back, Kalvin

whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Cjay wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:25 pm Agree to disagree mate.

I am very grateful for everything KP has done but imo Rice is a much more rounded player.

Scores more goals, creates more chances, dispossessed less, makes more interceptions, makes more clearances, more blocks per game, far higher pass success rate.

I'd say it's KP who is the more limited player atm.
Tell me.....how come your glorious Rice didn't get voted England player of the Euoros :duno: But who did hmmm.....let me think