Kalvin Phillips

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Kalvin Phillips.- Medical tomorrow (Friday 1st July)

Post by whiteswan »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:33 am As much ' one of our own ' as Alan Smith it seems. Money talks in today's game - the days when the likes of the Revie squad were loyal to a club and its supporters are over.

One consolation - Phillips is a totally overrated player who is a pale shadow of how good Declan Rice is. He's also very injury prone - I mean, what use was he last season really ? Even when he came back he played well below par. For me he kind of ambles around and then plays uninspiring short sideways or backward passes most of the time. That's when he's not busy pointing to where other players should pass the ball, to make it look as though he's pulling the strings.

He's way over hyped as an England player. If I watch England play I usually wait in anticipation for him to produce somethng special, but usually it's just the negative passing and his arm typically extended pointing out to other players what to do with the ball.

His best asset to the team is that he is good at shielding the defence - but that's it really. There are players out there who can do that job just as well, and maybe offer something going forward as well, like Rice does.
Alan Smith was forced to go to Scum as Leeds badly needed the cash after Ridsdale nearly took us into oblivion. No other club came in for him so he had no choice. Smith waived his transfer fee in order to help Leeds out financially.

I remember Jack Charlton in an interview saying how he would have left Leeds if someone had come in for him but no other club did. I was gobsmacked because that Revie team was solid and I just couldn't imagine any player ever wanting to leave.

You are right though Chapel, loyalty has gone through the window....too much money in the game now.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

whiteswan wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:39 am Alan Smith was forced to go to Scum as Leeds badly needed the cash after Ridsdale nearly took us into oblivion. No other club came in for him so he had no choice. Smith waived his transfer fee in order to help Leeds out financially.

I remember Jack Charlton in an interview saying how he would have left Leeds if someone had come in for him but no other club did. I was gobsmacked because that Revie team was solid and I just couldn't imagine any player ever wanting to leave.

You are right though Chapel, loyalty has gone through the window....too much money in the game now.
Ah, thanks for putting me right on that one WS. I'm doing Smith a big disservice there I can see.

I think that maybe Revie and Charlton didn't always see eye to eye - however Revie put the interests of the club first in terms of putting personal issues to one side. I can't imagine hat Jack was ever that easy to manage, as he was such an outspoken character.
Aussieleeds
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Aussieleeds »

Kennyb41 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:01 am You're damn right he will.

FCking bad business from Leeds though, absolutely dumb as fck, still, beggars can't be choosers.

Bert would never have let it hppen.
Hate to agree with you Kenny, but if MB could convince Leeds to pay £25m for Dan James then he certainly could have convinced City to pay £75m for KP.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

whiteswan wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:39 am Alan Smith was forced to go to Scum as Leeds badly needed the cash after Ridsdale nearly took us into oblivion. No other club came in for him so he had no choice. Smith waived his transfer fee in order to help Leeds out financially.

Main difference back then (Revie era) though is that players weren't likely to get a huge pay rise for moving clubs. Likely the extra couple of quid they might have got wouldn't really make it worthwhile especially as they'd have to move house etc. Also the European football wasn't the same lure as only 1 club would be in the European Cup rather then 4 so if you moved to a club it wasn't a guarantee of playing in the European Cup.

Even back in the Wilko era the wages weren't that astronomically different between big clubs. Heck we even managed to get players to drop down a division for higher wages than they were on.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Has this not been announced yet?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:16 am Ah, thanks for putting me right on that one WS. I'm doing Smith a big disservice there I can see.

I think that maybe Revie and Charlton didn't always see eye to eye - however Revie put the interests of the club first in terms of putting personal issues to one side. I can't imagine hat Jack was ever that easy to manage, as he was such an outspoken character.
I think a lot of fans ostracized Smithy Chapel, when it wasn't really his fault. A local lad from Rothwell who loved Leeds United and was in tears when we got relegated. Still sometimes sneaks in to Elland Road to watch games I believe as he probably feels he wouldn't be made welcome by some members of the crowd if he's seen. Sad really....

You could be right about big Jack and Revie. To say Jack was outspoken is an understatement :lol: A friend of mine was at a game where Jack was playing, the ball ended up on the lap of my friend. Jack went over to him and said "Give me the ball ya little b*s*a*d"....he's never forgotten it.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Aussieleeds wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:04 pm Hate to agree with you Kenny, but if MB could convince Leeds to pay £25m for Dan James then he certainly could have convinced City to pay £75m for KP.
What exactly is your problem with DJ Aussie ? I've no idea what Bert wanted to pay for DJ, he just requested him when he played against us for Swansea and off the clown went with his chequebook, the then Swansea chairman then fcked the deal up purposely and Ryan Giggs advised Man U to buy him at whatever price, Ryan Giggs was a winger and quite a good one and he must've seen something as well, so what's your expert eye feel ?

I'll hazard a guess that whilst DJ was playing for Swansea Bert thought him workable with for say up to £15m perhaps less, is it not then down to Coco the clown and his sidekick Radz to then achieve the best deal they can, or do you naively believe that's all down to Bert to secure the deal ?

Dream on my Oz thick git.

Must dash.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

faaip wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:20 pm Has this not been announced yet?
Not a peep from anywhere
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

Leeds best player from the Championship side, a player with 25 English caps, leaves the club to join a sportswashing project that's throwing money at him but haggled us down to 40 odd mill....almost half a Harry Maguire so.

And Leeds fans on Facebook groups gloating that he didn't go to ManU.

Sometimes you can really only laugh.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Mountain wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:25 pm Leeds best player from the Championship side, a player with 25 English caps, leaves the club to join a sportswashing project that's throwing money at him but haggled us down to 40 odd mill....almost half a Harry Maguire so.

And Leeds fans on Facebook groups gloating that he didn't go to ManU.

Sometimes you can really only laugh.
Do we know if anyone else was interested Mountain? Or put a higher offer in for him
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

whiteswan wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:40 pm Do we know if anyone else was interested Mountain? Or put a higher offer in for him
Hadn't heard.

I presume if he hadn't done his exclusive sweetheart deal with the club he wanted to go to, a good few clubs would have been interested.
Aussieleeds
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Aussieleeds »

Kennyb41 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:48 pm What exactly is your problem with DJ Aussie ? I've no idea what Bert wanted to pay for DJ, he just requested him when he played against us for Swansea and off the clown went with his chequebook, the then Swansea chairman then fcked the deal up purposely and Ryan Giggs advised Man U to buy him at whatever price, Ryan Giggs was a winger and quite a good one and he must've seen something as well, so what's your expert eye feel ?

I'll hazard a guess that whilst DJ was playing for Swansea Bert thought him workable with for say up to £15m perhaps less, is it not then down to Coco the clown and his sidekick Radz to then achieve the best deal they can, or do you naively believe that's all down to Bert to secure the deal ?

Dream on my Oz thick git.

Must dash.
Kenny boy, I think you’ve summed up the problem perfectly. DJ may have been a great signing from Swansea. But last July, he was definitely NOT what we needed. Unfortunately MB’s obsession took priority over investment in other positions that MB didn’t think were needed.

Do you think James should have been a priority last July? Simple question.

You point out that ManU signed him so he must be good. Did ManU pay £25m? No. And strangely enough, they played him as a winger … weird eh?

Yes, I know, another year under MB, and James would be Salah and Aguero rolled into one.

I know, you want us to believe that MB had nothing to do with any transfer that went wrong but single-handedly signed Raph. But no one other than you believes Orta would have paid £25m for James unless MB was insisting on the deal.

I’m also still trying to find where Ryan Giggs says he thinks Dan James is a top striker.

Keep up the name calling .. it highlights your limitations.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

Aussieleeds wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:03 pm Kenny boy, I think you’ve summed up the problem perfectly. DJ may have been a great signing from Swansea. But last July, he was definitely NOT what we needed. Unfortunately MB’s obsession took priority over investment in other positions that MB didn’t think were needed.

You point out that ManU signed him so he must be good. Did ManU pay £25m? No. And strangely enough, they played him as a winger … weird eh?

Yes, I know, another year under MB, and James would be Salah and Aguero rolled into one.

I know, you want us to believe that MB had nothing to do with any transfer that went wrong but single-handedly signed Raph. But no one other than you believes Orta would have paid £25m for James unless MB was insisting on the deal.

I’m also still trying to find where Ryan Giggs says he thinks Dan James is a top striker.

I suspect that the reason for Bielsa's sacking wasn't just down to the hammerings we took in his last few games, but also because of his insistence on spending £25m on an ineffective player like James.
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:31 pm I suspect that the reason for Bielsa's sacking...
At long last someone brought it up.

I dipped into this thread to read about the Bielsa sacking and people have written page after page about the Phillips transfer.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Aussieleeds wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:03 pm Kenny boy, I think you’ve summed up the problem perfectly. DJ may have been a great signing from Swansea. But last July, he was definitely NOT what we needed. Unfortunately MB’s obsession took priority over investment in other positions that MB didn’t think were needed.

What's with the 'boy' you jumping on 64's little ditty, i'm fond of it from 64 coz he's quite a lot older than me, but you strike me as about 30 and it doesn't suit you quite as much, how's about Kenny lad ? And leave 64 with his own, he seems quite proud of it.

You ok with thick Aussie *cant ? Just so i know moving forward.

*git.

Look ffs stop embarrassing yourself about this striker shenanigans, Orta's the prick for paying 25m, why do you use such crazy examples as Salah and Agueroooooooooooo, fck me he was just someone he wanted to work on from the championship days, Orta probably thought he'd float Berts boat by bringing him to him 3 years down the line and was assfcked by ManU

imho, i think Bert would've improved the little chicken bart thed no end, if not show him the door.

Have you still not grasped what Bert was about yet ? And any fcker like you that wanted Bert sacked is not really worth conversing with, if you still can't see what he was about and the reasonS his system was faultering you shouldn't be watching the game, simples.

And i said Giggs must've seen him for WAles and probably recommended ManU jump in before us, so Giggs must've seen summert not Scum, calm down girl.

Must dash.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

Mountain wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:52 am At long last someone brought it up.

I dipped into this thread to read about the Bielsa sacking and people have written page after page about the Phillips transfer.
Well there you go, you can have cuppa and give yourself a pat on the back.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Mountain wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:52 am At long last someone brought it up.

Similar to you I was furious that there might have been a single thread on this messageboard that the Bielsa out brigrade hadn't infiltrated. Thankfully Chapel was able to save the day.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

I don't think Bert should've been sacked myself.

Best of luck to KP though, he's made the best move for his limited ability, i suppose i want the best for the lad, but some of me wishes we'd got 65m from scum and he fcked them right up.

;@)
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

I won't be surprised to hear Camara to be named as KP's replacement .
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Aussieleeds
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Aussieleeds »

Kennyb41 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:29 am
You ok with thick Aussie *cant ? Just so i know moving forward.

*git.

And i said Giggs must've seen him for WAles and probably recommended ManU jump in before us, so Giggs must've seen summert not Scum, calm down girl.

Must dash.
You know nothing about me and I don’t give a toss what childish name you want to call me.

But for someone who likes to ‘name’ others it is a bit worrying how sensitive you are to the term ‘boy’. So, I truly apologise if I’ve inadvertently misgendered you, Kenny.