Recommended TV Drama

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
liggy
First Team
First Team

Re: Recommended TV Drama

Post by liggy »

Watched the first episode of squid game what a crock...it was like the tele tubbies on steroids,

Ps
Watching someone making sushi sounds gripping :roll:
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Been on a binge of tv series since first lockdown. Don't normally watch telly, but have enjoyed working through various box sets.

Comedy:
Reggie Perrin
Black Books
Wild West
Yes Minister
MASH
Blackadder

Drama:
Sherlock Holmes (Jeremy Brett)
Shaka Zulu
Morse/ Lewis/ Endeavour
Broadchurch
Tipping The Velvet
Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit
Robin Of Sherwood
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The Bodyguard/Strangers/Killing Eve

Post by Sara »

faaip wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:43 pm Loved every second of every series of Broadchurch ....
Only just catching up with this thread now. Finished series one of Broadchurch last night and thought it was excellent. Picked it up in a charity shop for 99p just because it had Olivia Colman in it. Got series two off eBay for three quid.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Hope series two lives up to expectations, I enjoyed it but others thought it wasn't as good. Tennent did the American version too, Gracepoint
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Tennent also top draw as the baddie in series one Jessica Jones which is Marvel down and dirty
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

faaip wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:23 am Hope series two lives up to expectations, I enjoyed it but others thought it wasn't as good. Tennent did the American version too, Gracepoint
I expect I'll enjoy it, because I like the way they've approached it; almost documentary style, ensemble cast, interwoven character development. I could also watch Olivia Colman in just about anything... except the Favourite, which irritated me.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Best ever tv drama for me is the Granada series of Brideshead Revisited, with Anthony Andrews, Jeremy Irons etc. Perfect casting, and follows the book almost line for line.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Took a punt on series one of Endeavour for £1.99, and now splurged thirty quid on the box set.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

SaraM wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:40 am Took a punt on series one of Endeavour for £1.99, and now splurged thirty quid on the box set.
You wont be disappointed Sara :)
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

whiteswan wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:52 am You wont be disappointed Sara :)
If it carries on like the first series I won't. Bought it as an afterthought after finishing Morse and Lewis, and so far I think it's better than either. Not keen on the idea of prequels, but it stands up in its own right.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

SaraM wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:33 am I expect I'll enjoy it, because I like the way they've approached it; almost documentary style, ensemble cast, interwoven character development. I could also watch Olivia Colman in just about anything... except the Favourite, which irritated me.
Olivia is an excellent actress :tup:
Mrs64
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Mrs64 »

SaraM wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:56 am Only just catching up with this thread now. Finished series one of Broadchurch last night and thought it was excellent. Picked it up in a charity shop for 99p just because it had Olivia Colman in it. Got series two off eBay for three quid.
Broadchurch is one of our favourite series, too.

Just finished watching all the Foyle's War' series a few weeks ago.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Mrs64 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:29 pm Broadchurch is one of our favourite series, too.

Just finished watching all the Foyle's War' series a few weeks ago.
Not seen Foyle's War... recommended?
Mrs64
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Mrs64 »

SaraM wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:51 pm Not seen Foyle's War... recommended?
Yes very much so, Sara.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Mrs64 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:30 pm Yes very much so, Sara.
Thanks, ordered the box set. :tup:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Foyles war starts well but fades as the series go on, the best stuff is the in war stuff... it's no Endeavour
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

faaip wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:31 pm Foyles war starts well but fades as the series go on, the best stuff is the in war stuff... it's no Endeavour
Oh well, taken the punt for fifteen quid. I expect the partner will probably like it.
hector

Post by hector »

faaip wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:31 pm Foyles war starts well but fades as the series go on, the best stuff is the in war stuff... it's no Endeavour
Fully agree with that, it gets a bit lost in the later series
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

SaraM wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:05 pm Oh well, taken the punt for fifteen quid. I expect the partner will probably like it.
It does change tack in the latter series but is still well worth a watch in my opinion. Michael Kitchen is excellent as Foyle and I think you'll enjoy watching his character Sara. He is very level headed shall we say and there is no knee- jerk from him. Honeysuckle Weeks also plays a great part.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

whiteswan wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:37 pm It does change tack in the latter series but is still well worth a watch in my opinion. Michael Kitchen is excellent as Foyle and I think you'll enjoy watching his character Sara. He is very level headed shall we say and there is no knee- jerk from him. Honeysuckle Weeks also plays a great part.
Trying to think what else I've seen Honeysuckle Weeks in... it's not a name you forget.