Patrick Bamford

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Patrick Bamford

Post by Jaydog »

Nothing against Bamford but we hang on to him like he’s our only hope. Will he do it this week. Or next. Or the one after that. Start to trust other players like Joe. And not just for 5 effing minutes
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

"Side before self" my arse. He could've easily squared to Jimmy for a tap in, but wants all the glory for himself.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Cjay wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:09 pm
Bamford has missed 5 or 6 1v1s in the last 3 games and a penalty

Marsch isn't solely responsible.
You forgot to post up the couple of howlers Fulham missed too.

We could have conceded six today.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

SG90 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:17 pm "Side before self" my arse. He could've easily squared to Jimmy for a tap in, but wants all the glory for himself.
Watch that in real time, I doubt very much
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

SG90 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:17 pm "Side before self" my arse. He could've easily squared to Jimmy for a tap in, but wants all the glory for himself.
Yeah he takes up a great position for that attack and it’s an obvious square ball. If I was Jimmy I’d be telling him.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

You would think that the only season that Bamford had played for us prior to this season was the successful 16 goals in the PL season. I can remember when fans were tearing their hair out during the promotion season at his profligacy in front of goal. Was it 12 matches without a goal when Nketiah was about to replace him, but then got injured ? All the football pundits at that time were talking about how Leeds needed to solve this issue.

For me it's not by chance that Bamford's only successful period in the PL was one in which there were no crowds. I would put Harrison in the same bracket - and that's the problem that the club have and why the front players are so toothless. There's just this assumption that Bamford, Harrison and Rodrigo are PL standard players, when it's now very clear that they are not. Whichever manager takes over will face the same problem - and that's down to recruitment. I'm guessing that Robbie Keane was the last PL standard striker that the club signed - was that in 2001 ? I'm excluding Chris Wood, as he has never been proper PL quality.
Last edited by CHAPELALLMAN on Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:51 pm You would think that the only season that Bamford had played for us prior to this season was the successful 16 goals in the PL season. I can remember when fans were tearing their hear out during the promotion season at his profligacy in front of goal. Was it 12 matches without a goal when Nketiah was about to replace him, but then got injured ? All the football pundits at that time were talking about how Leeds needed to solve this issue.

For me it's not by chance that Bamford's only successful period in the PL was one in which there were no crowds. I would put Harrison in the same bracket - and that's the problem that the club have and why the front players are so toothless. There's just this assumption that Bamford, Harrison and Rodrigo are PL standard players, when it's now very clear that they are not. Whichever manager takes over will face the same problem - and that's down to recruitment. I'm guessing that Robbie Keane was the last PL standard striker that the club signed - was that in 2001 ? I'm excluding Chris Wood, as he has never been proper PL quality.
Everyone forgets we only bought Big Kev, as we were petrified Bamfraud was going to cost us promotion again. Regardless of which league we're in, this has to be the last season of him. The problem is, who on earth would want him?

Why can't we find a Hasselbaink or a Viduka again? Oh yeah, Orta is in charge :verysad:
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

SG90 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:14 pm Everyone forgets we only bought Big Kev, as we were petrified Bamfraud was going to cost us promotion again. Regardless of which league we're in, this has to be the last season of him. The problem is, who on earth would want him?

Why can't we find a Hasselbaink or a Viduka again? Oh yeah, Orta is in charge :verysad:
Hit the nail on the head...
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

SG90 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:14 pm Why can't we find a Hasselbaink or a Viduka again? Oh yeah, Orta is in charge :verysad:
Leeds signed Hasselbaink when we were a mid table PL side, Viduka when we had finished 3rd in the PL. Bamford arrived when we were 13th in the Championship.

Sure, a great coach transformed him into the 2nd highest scoring English striker in the PL. But that's over now.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

The buck stops with the person who plays him. Paddy is not game fit by a distance, he was always slow now he's treacle slow... he's the one that should be coming on for the last 10 or so, not Joffy
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

faaip wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:36 pm The buck stops with the person who plays him. Paddy is not game fit by a distance, he was always slow now he's treacle slow... he's the one that should be coming on for the last 10 or so, not Joffy
I do not understand this fitness excuse. Micky Quinn was never fit in his career but it didn’t stop him scoring when through on goal. I could understand it if a 20 yards sprint onto a through goal makes Bamford breath out of his arse. This is about composure, balance and technique. His touch isn’t great when he runs and he often ends up off balance when he does try and finish. He is generally better with a first time finish but unless it is set up for his left peg the chances are, more often than not it will not end up in the net.

Even in his 17 goal season he missed a bucket load of chances. Whilst his all round game is more than just scoring, this is ultimately the metric that counts - especially if we are not winning.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Personally, I am worried for Joffy. If he does get a run now when the pressure, desperation and crowd expectation are their highest it could ruin him. There are a number of commentators on here who will gleefully claim how they said he was overrated. I hope he has the talent to overcome this but what a complete shitshow that he has to potentially face this situation. Bielsa’s initial poor management has been compounded by Marsch.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Mountain wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:03 pm Leeds signed Hasselbaink when we were a mid table PL side, Viduka when we had finished 3rd in the PL. Bamford arrived when we were 13th in the Championship.

Sure, a great coach transformed him into the 2nd highest scoring English striker in the PL. But that's over now.
I love that song
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

DDB220 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:27 pm Personally, I am worried for Joffy. If he does get a run now when the pressure, desperation and crowd expectation are their highest it could ruin him. There are a number of commentators on here who will gleefully claim how they said he was overrated. I hope he has the talent to overcome this but what a complete shitshow that he has to potentially face this situation. Bielsa’s initial poor management has been compounded by Marsch.
I'm almost ready to tear up the team sheet and throw Gelhardt and Summerville out there from the start
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

DDB220 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:20 pm I do not understand this fitness excuse. Micky Quinn was never fit in his career but it didn’t stop him scoring when through on goal. I could understand it if a 20 yards sprint onto a through goal makes Bamford breath out of his arse. This is about composure, balance and technique. His touch isn’t great when he runs and he often ends up off balance when he does try and finish. He is generally better with a first time finish but unless it is set up for his left peg the chances are, more often than not it will not end up in the net.

Even in his 17 goal season he missed a bucket load of chances. Whilst his all round game is more than just scoring, this is ultimately the metric that counts - especially if we are not winning.
It's a great point for discussion. Bamford's body is in much better shape than Micky Quinn's. But there are 2 things missing with Bamford:

Mental sharpness - that ability to know instinctively what to do. Today he took the the ball inside with his left, when a little tap outside would have created a golden chance.

Dexterity - He needs his feet to be doing the right thing. He looks like a dancer with 2 left feet right now (I know he's left footed).

Micky Quinn had the nouse even if he wasn't in great physical shape. It's getting old saying that Bamford needs more time. But he does. If we have Bamford for every game between now and the end of the season we'll score plenty of goals and win enough games. But I'm afraid that won't happen. We're compelled to keep nursing him back to fitness. And at some point he'll miss games again.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

SG90 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:14 pm Everyone forgets we only bought Big Kev, as we were petrified Bamfraud was going to cost us promotion again. Regardless of which league we're in, this has to be the last season of him. The problem is, who on earth would want him?

We had a good run of strikers in the 90's. Brian Deane never filled in for Lee Chapman. But Hasselbank, Viduka, Yeboah, Bridges. The latter both had their issues - attitude and fitness respectively - but any one of those would be an excellent addition to the squad right now.

Heck, I'd even take Masinga or Strandli right now over Rodrigo
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

DDB220 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:20 pm I do not understand this fitness excuse. Micky Quinn was never fit in his career but it didn’t stop him scoring when through on goal. I could understand it if a 20 yards sprint onto a through goal makes Bamford breath out of his arse. This is about composure, balance and technique. His touch isn’t great when he runs and he often ends up off balance when he does try and finish. He is generally better with a first time finish but unless it is set up for his left peg the chances are, more often than not it will not end up in the net.

Micky Quinn played years ago, really not the same thing. He'd have to be fit now or if he played today he'd be lg 1 or worse
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:51 pm You would think that the only season that Bamford had played for us prior to this season was the successful 16 goals in the PL season. I can remember when fans were tearing their hair out during the promotion season at his profligacy in front of goal. Was it 12 matches without a goal when Nketiah was about to replace him, but then got injured ? All the football pundits at that time were talking about how Leeds needed to solve this issue.

A helluva lot of strikers and kids now could learn a lot from Haalands no nonsense approach, no posing, no messing about, just do what it says on the tin and bang it in the net, yes he's quality and has it all, but just closely watch how he goes about his job.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Grim Paddy.

Feel sorry for the bloke.

Confidence is clearly shot and can't handle the burden of responsibility the club have put on him by relying on someone whose barely played for a year

Some of the touches and finishes are criminal at this level.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

I remember half the forum thinking Charles De Ketelaere was the hottest ticket in football (11 starts, 0 goals).

For comparison, and to enable us evaluate the benefit of "misses" videos, we need a video of all of his misses to see what £30 million plus strikers do.