Patrick Bamford

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Karsmakers
Ballboy
Ballboy

Re: Patrick Bamford

Post by Karsmakers »

Personally, I think it is high time to start putting the responsibility on the players. A manager plays a system that hopefully provides his team with the greatest oppurtunity to get a result. Bamford has had at least 10 clear chances I can think of this season to finish easy oppurtunities that were provided him. We would be sitting up the table if he alone had some quality. Even under Marsch we were somewhere around 10-12th in the league at creating chances. Our attacking players....and Bamford in particular, needs to focus on themselves and step up whoever the manager is or sit down and shut up. There have been so many obvious mental and physical errors in the front and back this year that ultimately fall on the players themselves. Time for them to accept responsibility
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Karsmakers wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:27 pm Personally, I think it is high time to start putting the responsibility on the players. A manager plays a system that hopefully provides his team with the greatest oppurtunity to get a result. Bamford has had at least 10 clear chances I can think of this season to finish easy oppurtunities that were provided him. We would be sitting up the table if he alone had some quality. Even under Marsch we were somewhere around 10-12th in the league at creating chances. Our attacking players....and Bamford in particular, needs to focus on themselves and step up whoever the manager is or sit down and shut up. There have been so many obvious mental and physical errors in the front and back this year that ultimately fall on the players themselves. Time for them to accept responsibility
Stop making sense karsmakers, bamford and harrison are the lifeline of this club.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Irish Ian wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:03 pm What bothered me was his determination to avoid using his right peg.
Which foot had the plantar problem?
I wonder if he still needs to recover from the injury mentally.
It can happen that after prolonged trauma sportsmen and musicians can just not get back in the flow after a certain injury especially when the nerves have been affected.
Oh I know, in American football aan ACL or MCL tear means out for rest of the season, most of the off season recovering, second season getting back physically and mentally and usually the third season after is where you see said player return to pre injury levels
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

Karsmakers wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:27 pm Personally, I think it is high time to start putting the responsibility on the players. A manager plays a system that hopefully provides his team with the greatest oppurtunity to get a result. Bamford has had at least 10 clear chances I can think of this season to finish easy oppurtunities that were provided him. We would be sitting up the table if he alone had some quality. Even under Marsch we were somewhere around 10-12th in the league at creating chances. Our attacking players....and Bamford in particular, needs to focus on themselves and step up whoever the manager is or sit down and shut up. There have been so many obvious mental and physical errors in the front and back this year that ultimately fall on the players themselves. Time for them to accept responsibility
Hear hear. There are so many pampered players in football these days. And it's always the managers that get the brunt of the criticism - even though the likes of Bamford and Harrison have been useless this season. Still, they get their £200k to £300k each month, so what do they care ?
VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by VinnysTattoo »

I can’t help but think if the club had invested early on in a striker that could convert just a few more of the chances that Bamford has had, we’d in a much healthier position.

I feel a little sorry for him. Beset with injuries and the constant pressure of scoring a bag full of goals when you are not a prolific goal scorer must weigh heavily on his mind.

On the flip side, as a highly paid professional footballer, you would think his finishing would be continually improving. It could be a mental thing.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

VinnysTattoo wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:01 am I can’t help but think if the club had invested early on in a striker that could convert just a few more of the chances that Bamford has had, we’d in a much healthier position.

I feel a little sorry for him. Beset with injuries and the constant pressure of scoring a bag full of goals when you are not a prolific goal scorer must weigh heavily on his mind.

On the flip side, as a highly paid professional footballer, you would think his finishing would be continually improving. It could be a mental thing.
I'm sure that the 300K a month he gets paid is adequate compensation. There are people to feel sorry for in life - but pampered overpaid footballers aren't on my list...
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Irish Ian wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:03 pm What bothered me was his determination to avoid using his right peg.
Which foot had the plantar problem?
I wonder if he still needs to recover from the injury mentally.
It can happen that after prolonged trauma sportsmen and musicians can just not get back in the flow after a certain injury especially when the nerves have been affected.
Don't think the injury is the reason he is so frustratingly 1 footed

In 90 Premier league appearances he has scored 2 goals with his right foot

https://www.premierleague.com/players/4 ... d/overview
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Very one footed, as was Liam Brady.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:50 am Don't think the injury is the reason he is so frustratingly 1 footed

In 90 Premier league appearances he has scored 2 goals with his right foot

https://www.premierleague.com/players/4 ... d/overview
Alan Shearer scored just 20 goals with his left foot, out of the 260 he scored. Player will pre-dominantly score with their stronger foot.
Maradona, a left footer, scored 6 goals, out of his 353 goals, with his right foot.
Lionel Messi scores 5 times as many with his left peg compared to his right peg.

Even some of the best players are completely one footed.
BradWhite
First Team
First Team

Post by BradWhite »

Had Bamford performed better we may have won more than 4 games and been out of danger.
I'm tired of the excuses, he's a striker and he has under performed, right now he looks to be over thinking it.
Had he been at another club he would have been dropped, but we can't drop him.

He will now score 2 tomorrow.

Covering all bases.

:whistle:
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

weasel wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:19 am Alan Shearer scored just 20 goals with his left foot, out of the 260 he scored. Player will pre-dominantly score with their stronger foot.
Maradona, a left footer, scored 6 goals, out of his 353 goals, with his right foot.
Lionel Messi scores 5 times as many with his left peg compared to his right peg.

Even some of the best players are completely one footed.
Not just about using that foot to stick ball in the net though is it. First and second touch, how you turn, what foot you set off with when you accelerate.
If there was severe pain and we know there was in Bamfords case it can affect the way he is using his feet.
It becomes a mental block.

I hope that with him having his six plus games now back and in fact being able to even play a 90 minute game for the first time will help him work all this out in his head
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Comparing bamford to a genious like Brady is just ludicrous, also with shearer, the PL top scorer, when will folk give it a rest, sticking up for him proves nothing, only he himself can prove the doubters wrong, but he himself keeps proving the doubters right.
What does he do in training to get over this issue of always using the left peg, probably nothing, keeps on with the same and nobody bothers to talk it through with him .
Any other club would simply drop him and give one of the kids a chance, we spunk £30 plus million on a kid without giving our kids a chance, work that one out.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

xG, just for those of you who still have their head stuck firmly in the sand

In what will come as a shock to absolutely nobody, Erling Haaland claims the crown for the player to be overperforming the most in front of goal, with the Manchester City striker scoring 26 times from an xG total of just 18.06.

His overperformance of 7.94 goals accounts almost entirely for Man City's total of 8.98 goals scored over their xG, which helps to make them the division's most prolific side.

James Maddison is second to Haaland, with the Leicester midfielder recording a 5.09 xG differential, followed by Rashford, Newcastle's Miguel Almiron and Tottenham's Harry Kane.

At the other end of the scale is Patrick Bamford, who has the worst xG differential having scored just once from an xG total of 5.13.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

💯 Mate :tup:
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

mentalcase wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:58 pm xG, just for those of you who still have their head stuck firmly in the sand

In what will come as a shock to absolutely nobody, Erling Haaland claims the crown for the player to be overperforming the most in front of goal, with the Manchester City striker scoring 26 times from an xG total of just 18.06.

His overperformance of 7.94 goals accounts almost entirely for Man City's total of 8.98 goals scored over their xG, which helps to make them the division's most prolific side.

James Maddison is second to Haaland, with the Leicester midfielder recording a 5.09 xG differential, followed by Rashford, Newcastle's Miguel Almiron and Tottenham's Harry Kane.

At the other end of the scale is Patrick Bamford, who has the worst xG differential having scored just once from an xG total of 5.13.
Says it all mate :tup:

4th different coach in less than 12 months, but a lot are happy to blame the coach for everything :roll:
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:16 pm Hear hear. There are so many pampered players in football these days. And it's always the managers that get the brunt of the criticism - even though the likes of Bamford and Harrison have been useless this season. Still, they get their £200k to £300k each month, so what do they care ?
Apart from their performances this and last season, their body language says it all Chapel :tup:
BradWhite
First Team
First Team

Post by BradWhite »

Bamford has been off form for ages, the pleas to the board to buy a decent striker (and a LB) fell on deaf ears more than once at this club.

We are where we are for a reason, not suggesting PB is the main factor but he's had more than the benefit of the doubt at this club, it's only the lack of a decent striker that gets him selected.

I kind of agree with a comment on here that PB has a mental block, almost too scared to commit incase he's sidelined again.
I really like the lad, I want him to smash in a ton of goals.

He'll do better in the Championship, but we're not going there are we?
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

BradWhite wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:49 pm Bamford has been off form for ages, the pleas to the board to buy a decent striker (and a LB) fell on deaf ears more than once at this club.
To be fair to the club, they have bought a striker (or what they perceive to be a striker) in Rutter.

Not quite worked out yet, fingers crossed that tide turns quickly.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Barlow Boy wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:11 pm To be fair to the club, they have bought a striker (or what they perceive to be a striker) in Rutter.

Not quite worked out yet, fingers crossed that tide turns quickly.
I don't know how you get to that conclusion fella ?
Genuinely, the kid came in 6 or so games ago, hasn't had more than 90 minutes, no partnership, no link up, certainly NO continuation.
I think "not quite worked out yet" is a bit strong.
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

mentalcase wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:49 pm I don't know how you get to that conclusion fella ?
Genuinely, the kid came in 6 or so games ago, hasn't had more than 90 minutes, no partnership, no link up, certainly NO continuation.
I think "not quite worked out yet" is a bit strong.
The “not quite worked out yet” bit wasn’t aimed at him specifically, but overall, for the many of the reasons you have mentioned.

The jury is out for many on him, but it’s way too early for me.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello