Illan Meslier 

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Illan Meslier 

Post by Leeds1000 »

A keeper is has good as the defence in front of him.
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

Clickbait rumours suggesting Spurs want Illan to replace Lloris, who's getting on a bit now:

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2022/09/2 ... go-lloris/

https://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/1146489657?-1 ... t_news#out

Probably explains why we've been linked with the Seville keeper Yassine Bounou over the past day or two. If they are lining up a replacement number 1, it looks likely that Meslier will be the next sold on for a big payday - possibly to help fund the LB & striker we need in January/June?
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Carrick Dave wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:22 pm Clickbait rumours suggesting Spurs want Illan to replace Lloris, who's getting on a bit now:

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2022/09/2 ... go-lloris/

https://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/1146489657?-1 ... t_news#out

Probably explains why we've been linked with the Seville keeper Yassine Bounou over the past day or two. If they are lining up a replacement number 1, it looks likely that Meslier will be the next sold on for a big payday - possibly to help fund the LB & striker we need in January/June?
If Spurs wanted Meslier, I don't think they'd be looking to do anything before summer. And that would be best for us too.

Incidentally, I'd heard Phil Hay say the same. That Spurs was the logical option. I think he'll go somewhere within the next year or two.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:00 pm

I think he'll go somewhere within the next year or two.
Me too, maybe Disneyland? Or Euro Disney, .... ? Holiday?

Sick and tired of folk talking about our players leaving.....FFS.....can't we just enjoy them playing for Leeds United without all this c**p, just for one season. Please!
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

!
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

whiteswan wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:33 pm Me too, maybe Disneyland? Or Euro Disney, .... ? Holiday?

Sick and tired of folk talking about our players leaving.....FFS.....can't we just enjoy them playing for Leeds United without all this c**p, just for one season. Please!
Sure am enjoying him playing for us
Victor_Notts-17
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Is Meslier good enough? Is it worth sticking Joel Robles in goal?

Post by Victor_Notts-17 »

First goal today: most of us would have saved it right? Is it worth sticking Robles in against Liverpool? I think we are expecting too much from Meslier. And I'm flabberghasted that we didn't have an experienced starting GK in the squad: I think we pushed Meslier too hard too soon. He is still not experienced or mature enough as a goalkeeper (as good as he is)...
Last edited by Victor_Notts-17 on Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimang
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Re: Is it worth sticking Joel Robles in goal?

Post by Jimang »

The problem with the goal in my opinion was the striker got in front of our full back and got a powerful header in at close range. Don't see many goalies keeping that out. Meslier did not have any chance with the other two goals either, in fact he made a fantastic one on one save to keep us in the game. Don't see any reason to drop him and bring Robles in.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

No
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

I'm looking for that emoji you use on Facebook posts.

Found it :roflmao:

No. Meslier is not the problem. He's actually our most valuable (in terms of transfer value) player right now.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

I think we need an experienced GK, but not Robles. No coincidence our last commanding GK was Rob Green.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Victor_Notts-17 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:20 pm First goal today: most of us would have saved it right? Is it worth sticking Robles in against Liverpool? I think we are expecting too much from Meslier. And I'm flabberghasted that we didn't have an experienced starting GK in the squad: I think we pushed Meslier too hard too soon. He is still not experienced or mature enough as a goalkeeper (as good as he is)...
Are you for real in saying most of us would have saved that ????

Meslier is one of the best young goalkeepers in the world. FFS he got a hand to it and was unlucky to not keep it out. The pace on that header was very very significant and at lose range. I bet you would have ducked out the way mate.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Taking Meslier out of the team would be like not using Joffy in the team.
Only a madman would do that
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Irish Ian wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:03 pm Taking Meslier out of the team would be like not using Joffy in the team.
Only a madman would do that
Agree. Meslier is one of the top 10 young keepers in the world right now. Talk is that Scum and Spurs are interested. We're lucky to have him. Nothing of this s**t start to the season is down to the keeper.
Victor_Notts-17
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

That's a 'no' then?
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

No... that was easy..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Victor_Notts-17 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:22 am That's a 'no' then?
You've chose a bad example Vic, it's no from me anyway but that incoming corner was coming in at pace and just needed the glancing header touch it got, he was only a couple of yards away from goal and no time to truly react in time, no blame really on Mes from me, if anyone, watch Rodrigo desert that front goal area zone by following a man and leaving that space open for Mitrovic to score, a well worked set piece to me.

And that was a cracking save when Periera was through 1 on 1.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Tighthead
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Tighthead »

Victor_Notts-17 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:22 am That's a 'no' then?
:lol:
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

No
Victor_Notts-17
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Hey hey: remember this? I rest my case...