Illan Meslier 

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Illan Meslier 

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:46 pm For me he has shown huge improvements this season (cue a howler in his next match). Beginning to realise some of the potential he had.
Our fans forget Illan is only 22yo, still very young for a keeper, especially at PL level.

I have noticed his improvement this season.

Like Rodrigo, another Marsch success.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

DDB220 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:59 pm Truly astonished that some people do not rate Meslier as a special talent. All keepers make mistakes - as do all out field players. It is called human error which is an inescapable trait everyone has.

Robles is nowhere near the same level. If he was he wouldn’t be a journey man. 3/4 cameo friendly appearances for us and he is suddenly a great keeper.

The bids for Meslier will be in the summer. It will be a real test of our ambition to fight off interest and convince him his immediate future is at Leeds.
I'm not even contemplating that thought seriously.

Hopefully we'll have new board by the summer, a board who are intent on building a squad around our best players.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:40 pm Our fans forget Illan is only 22yo, still very young for a keeper, especially at PL level.

I would imagine it may be down to Robles helping mentor him rather than last year when he only had Klaesen and other youngsters with him.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

weasel wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:49 pm I would imagine it may be down to Robles helping mentor him rather than last year when he only had Klaesen and other youngsters with him.
Good point weasel
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:49 pm I would imagine it may be down to Robles helping mentor him rather than last year when he only had Klaesen and other youngsters with him.
Indeed :tup:
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Hugo Lloris just announced retirement.

Spiderboy to get call up next time?
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:03 pm Hugo Lloris just announced retirement.

Spiderboy to get call up next time?
Garçon araignée ?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

faaip wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:06 pm Garçon araignée ?
They say Spiderman in France.

Pronounced Speederman

I saw a comic in the 90s with the heading L'Araignee. But my pen pal said no. We call him Speederman.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

If we are going for Rammens, Meslier could be on his way sadly.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Sockerist
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Sockerist »

1964white wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:40 pm Our fans forget Illan is only 22yo, still very young for a keeper, especially at PL level.

I believe his age is a big factor. 22 is infancy for a goalkeeper. They only seem to become good in their late 20s or early 30s, so he's way ahead of the curve with lots of experience and development ahead of him. I'm hoping he recognises this and decides to stick at the club that has made him their number 1 choice. Whatever others may think about Leeds, it's a prestigious role.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Accrington

Flapped at three balls into our box, yesterday.
velo
Manager
Manager

Post by velo »

1964white wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:16 pm Accrington

Flapped at three balls into our box, yesterday.
Would you want The clown back Leon.....every player has a bad game every now and then, Mes has saved us more times than I can count on my fingers and toes
Stop worryin' about what people say, when it ain't gonna stop them anyway.

Hater of Liars, Cheats and Trolls

Freedom of speech is not allowed if it upsets the mods
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Mess at times mes at others, his distributions first half was again flaming dreadful, absolutely horrific infact.
Yea, he's young, but, he lakes every week , no excuses now, there's no sticking up for his mistakes, he;s a seasoned pro, his decision making ought to be better, he sees the game thoroughly from the back, he can calm things at a whim , then destroys it from shite distribution.
That said , he has saved us numerous times one v one situation, but a lot are caused by his distribution coming straight back.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
velo
Manager
Manager

Post by velo »

mentalcase wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:29 pm
That said , he has saved us numerous times one v one situation, but a lot are caused by his distribution coming straight back.
And our missing defence
Stop worryin' about what people say, when it ain't gonna stop them anyway.

Hater of Liars, Cheats and Trolls

Freedom of speech is not allowed if it upsets the mods
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

velo wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:37 pm And our missing defence
Hopefully Wober will sort that issue out :tup:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

velo wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:19 pm Would you want The clown back Leon.....every player has a bad game every now and then, Mes has saved us more times than I can count on my fingers and toes
Definitely not, Chris

I like the big lad & yes he has saved us countless times. Just thought his performance was the Mes of old flapping at high balls with a mix of good saves.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

velo wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:37 pm And our missing defence
I do think our defenders leave him too much to do.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

mentalcase wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:29 pm Mess at times mes at others, his distributions first half was again flaming dreadful, absolutely horrific infact.
Yea, he's young, but, he lakes every week , no excuses now, there's no sticking up for his mistakes, he;s a seasoned pro, his decision making ought to be better, he sees the game thoroughly from the back, he can calm things at a whim , then destroys it from shite distribution.
We got away with his flapping on Sunday.

Meslier will get better as he matures, we do forget how young he is, I personally think he has improved under Jesse.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Been thinking about how flappy our Goalkeepers are and how there shot stopping can be iffy.

Meslier has been excused a lot because of his age and lack of cover at times.

But even so

He is the same, so was Casilla, so was BPF so was Wiedwald.

Now maybe they are all just flappy biscuit wrists.

But then I thought about our goalkeeping coach

Marcos Abad.

He has never played anything more than amateur football at best

In fact he seems to have gone from University to goalkeeping coach.

And has worked with Victor Orta at 3 clubs now.

Aside from a degree and being Victor Orta's mate what qualifies him to coach professional Goalkeepers?

Can you become an expert in professional sport by being a university graduate?

Seems odd.

A man who never kicked a ball in anger at Professional level telling highly paid professionals and in some cases internationals how to do there job.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Cjay wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:25 pm Been thinking about how flappy our Goalkeepers are and how there shot stopping can be iffy.

Meslier has been excused a lot because of his age and lack of cover at times.

But even so

He is the same, so was Casilla, so was BPF so was Wiedwald.

Now maybe they are all just flappy biscuit wrists.

But then I thought about our goalkeeping coach

Marcos Abad.

He has never played anything more than amateur football at best

In fact he seems to have gone from University to goalkeeping coach.

And has worked with Victor Orta at 3 clubs now.

Aside from a degree and being Victor Orta's mate what qualifies him to coach professional Goalkeepers?

Can you become an expert in professional sport by being a university graduate?

Seems odd.

A man who never kicked a ball in anger at Professional level telling highly paid professionals and in some cases internationals how to do there job.
That’s pretty unusual in elite sport.
I don’t think you necessarily need to have played to the highest level though. But surely to a decent competitive level.
Goal keeping is very separate to all the other positions by definition. So as an example I follow pro golf very closely and you have all sorts of coaches nowadays. Possibly the best putting coach is Brad Faxon, not a very top player but won tournaments on the PGA Tour. Played at the highest level. Renowned as a brilliant putter. Players respect him and therefore trust his judgment. His record is top notch at helping the very best improve in that department.
So how does Marcos Abad convince Meslier or any other professional goalkeeper to listen to him and believe in his advice.
Absolutely no idea tbh.