Illan Meslier 

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Is it worth sticking Joel Robles in goal?

Post by Carrick Dave »

Victor_Notts-17 wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:03 pm Hey hey: remember this? I rest my case...
Yeah, you’re wrong today too. :)
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Victor_Notts-17 wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:03 pm Hey hey: remember this? I rest my case...
Again?

NO
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Always stick with your keeper... so no
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Victor_Notts-17
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Is Meslier good enough? Is it worth sticking Joel Robles in goal?

Post by Victor_Notts-17 »

You lot know nothing. Robles commands his area. He's vastly experienced. Communicates with his defense. Tells them where to be and what to do etc. Meslier does none of that! I actually think Robles is a very good keeper. He's at least Meslier's equal. And he's got much more in his locker...
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Victor_Notts-17 wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:58 pm You idiots know 5h1t. Robles commands his area. He's vastly experienced. Communicates with his defense. Tells them where to be and what to do etc. Meslier does none of that! I actually think Robles is a very good keeper. He's at least Meslier's equal. And he's got much more in his locker...
Vastly experienced is pushing it a bit.

He's only got about 50 games worth of minutes more than Meslier in his career despite being 10 years older.

He did well vs Wolves tbf and I do think we could improve on Meslier.

But not seen enough of Robles.

Very suspicious of players like him who have been first team players for over a decade but only have 1 season of 30 games.

Suggests they can have good games but no consistency

Same as Meslier
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Is Meslier good enough? Is it worth sticking Joel Robles in goal?

Post by SG90 »

Victor_Notts-17 wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:58 pm You lot know nothing. Robles commands his area. He's vastly experienced. Communicates with his defense. Tells them where to be and what to do etc. Meslier does none of that! I actually think Robles is a very good keeper. He's at least Meslier's equal. And he's got much more in his locker...
Meslier is one of the forum's favourites. I think we could definitely do better. Flog him for £25m and get an experienced GK in.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Victor_Notts-17 wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:58 pm You lot know nothing. Robles commands his area. He's vastly experienced. Communicates with his defense. Tells them where to be and what to do etc. Meslier does none of that! I actually think Robles is a very good keeper. He's at least Meslier's equal. And he's got much more in his locker...
I was chatting with a friend on the phone last night, who was at the Wolves & the Bolton U21s games & he mentioned how vocal Robles was, screaming out orders & organising his defence.
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

SG90 wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:42 pm Meslier is one of the forum's favourites. I think we could definitely do better. Flog him for £25m and get an experienced GK in.
Meslier is one of the forum’s favourites because he has got us out of jail week in week out this season.

He’s one of the best in the league when facing one on ones.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Carrick Dave wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:46 pm Meslier is one of the forum’s favourites because he has got us out of jail week in week out this season.

He’s one of the best in the league when facing one on ones.
I've lost count how many one on one saves Meslier has made this season, Davy. :duno:
March712
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by March712 »

1964white wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:22 pm I've lost count how many one on one saves has made this season, Davy. :duno:
That is also directly related to the failings in our defence; he might have stopped loads of shots, but given their propensity to leak, he has also been beaten many times too, which is not his fault.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Not time for him to be replaced.

Though I hope they can get across to him that if his standards drop he will get dropped. He hasnt been great this season and we have to stop blaming his youth.
He was poor yesterday, his communication is an issue it appears.
For me Iilian is one of these players who the club can be overly invested in. A possible big player for club and country.

His upward trajectory has almost been taken for granted. (And his sell on value)

He has some great attributes. Still learning, but he had two shots down his throat yesterday and ended up on his arse.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Irish Ian wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:45 am Not time for him to be replaced.

Though I hope they can get across to him that if his standards drop he will get dropped. He hasnt been great this season and we have to stop blaming his youth.
He was poor yesterday, his communication is an issue it appears.
For me Iilian is one of these players who the club can be overly invested in. A possible big player for club and country.

His upward trajectory has almost been taken for granted. (And his sell on value)

He has some great attributes. Still learning, but he had two shots down his throat yesterday and ended up on his arse.
Our most valuable asset right now. The pressure put on him by our defense and our system is immense. But he loves playing for us. Hope it continues for a few more years yet. And glad that most of us appreciate what he does.

Yeah. He can improve, He's young and his decision making will improve in time. I wouldn't say complacency is an issue. Ilan will be playing for France this time next year.

Now get off this dumb question, If you can't recognize his talent, believe the 90% of us that do. Get behind him and appreciate his ability for as long as we can keep a hold of him.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

March712 wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:45 pm That is also directly related to the failings in our defence; he might have stopped loads of shots, but given their propensity to leak, he has also been beaten many times too, which is not his fault.
I feel sorry for the young man.

I know how I would feel if I had that defence in front of me.

In my game bowls, we attack the jack from the off, then use tactics to protect the jack & our commanding position we are in on each end. As a team of three we are confident we'll win more of the 18 ends then we'll lose. I do believe if we concede 12 shots or less a game, we'll win the majority of our matches, so far in our first five games we have conceded 60 shots which is an average of 12, consequently we are joint-top with four other teams in a very tight competitive league.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Meslier did not have one of his best games yesterday, but hey let’s have a system where you have a bad game and you get replaced. But you are back in when your replacement also makes a few mistakes.

This will make for great spirit and confidence in the dressing room.

Personally, I would put the Putin ‘Art of management and leadership’ handbook away.
Tyzy
First Team
First Team

Post by Tyzy »

Meslier had a mare yesterday but overall he saves us more than not
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Illan Meslier 

Post by Cjay »

Reports in France saying Chelsea will make a move for Meslier either in January or the summer.
Signed

King Cjay

SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Cjay wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:23 pm Reports in France saying Chelsea will make a move for Meslier either in January or the summer.
£80m you scummy mugs :tup:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:23 pm Reports in France saying Chelsea will make a move for Meslier either in January or the summer.
At Chelsea would pay decent money Meslier.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Part of be would be shocked if someone isn't sold in January.

Thought Harrison

But. . . . . .
Signed

King Cjay

BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

Cjay wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:36 pm
Part of be would be shocked if someone isn't sold in January.

Thought Harrison

But. . . . . .
This would be a terrible strategic blunder. Meslier's value is only going up in the Summer. But if Chelsea comes for him in the next window we should insist on GK Gaga Slonina coming our way as part of the deal. The 18 year old American just moved to Chelsea for about $15m including add ones. He finished the season with Chicago Fire in MLS and has just reported to Chelsea. He is a massive young talent!
Football/Futbol/Soccer