The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tue 10th Sept) - Kalvin Phillips get out clause

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tue 10th Sept) - Kalvin Phillips get out clause

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Tuesday 10th September, and here are the Leeds Utd headlines

Monk in the mire!

Former Leeds boss Garry Monk has been defending his corner relating to extensive and improper use of his own agent in many of the club's transfer dealings.

These are concerns echoed by Leeds, Birmingham and Middlesbrough regarding agent James Featherstone.

The new Wendies Manager was quoted as saying:-
"I will speak about that but not today,” he said. “Today's about Sheffield Wednesday. I don't want to deal with nonsense.

"You know the truth and when it's inside you, you know what you want to do.

"I've always understood that and not been deterred by stuff I can't control and nonsense that might be put out there."
Monk and Featherstone have denied any wrongdoing, yet Cellino says he banned the latter from Elland Road.

Massimo Cellino revealed that he was so disturbed by Featherstone's interference that he banned him from Elland Road
“I never let Monk get involved with transfers because every player he wanted to sign he wanted to do through Featherstone.

“Monk came to me with a player from Brentford he wanted to sign.

“I asked him who the agent was. He said, “It doesn’t matter, I will make the transfer”.

“Then I found out the agent was Featherstone and they did the deal directly with him.

“Featherstone said he was his player, but I found out he wasn’t.

“Featherstone asked me for commission fees for doing Monk’s contract, and I didn’t give him anything. We had a big fight because I refused to pay his fees. I said to him, “You work for Garry Monk? Ask him to pay the fees”.

“He was always trying to get Featherstone involved in deals. Remember Mo Barrow from Swansea? I didn’t want to sign him because the number 17 brings me bad luck, but Garry wanted to bring him in. We had a fight about Barrow, but Featherstone did the transfer.

“After three months he brought another assistant coach, James Beattie.

“Then I found out that he was a client of Featherstone’s agency. After that I cut him out.

“I didn’t allow him to come to the games, I didn’t allow him to come to training.

“I didn’t want him at the club any more.”

Kalvin Phillips get out clause

No sooner has the ink dried on Kalvin Phillips new contract at Elland Road, than its revealed that he has a get out clause!

Phillips’ camp insisted upon the release clause during negotiations for the five-year deal in case Leeds do not get promoted this season.

The figure is believed to be between 20m-25m. Leeds have confirmed that they have rejected similar offers over the Summer, surely when you see Brighton splashing out 40m on Maupay and Webster, you have to ask yourself, how much is Kalvin Phillips worth?

In other News

Jack Clarke scored the winner for England U20's v Switzerland.

I wonder whether Bielsa saw it?

Dallas put in a solid performance for Northern Ireland. Unfortunately Germany were too strong.

Dallas's stats

2 Clearances
2/2 Tackles Won
1 Interception
5 Ground duels won
68 Touches

Liam Cooper's second cap for Scotland didn't go so well. Belgium ran our 4-0 winners at Hampden Park.

Alioski, Nketiah and Klich also had run outs for their respective Countries.

Finally Leeds academy Keeper Illan Meslier was in fine form for the U23's yesterday as he kept a clean sheet against Crystal Palace. Final score 0-0
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tue 10th Sept)

Post by 1964white »

I can understand why Kalvin requested a release clause in the negotiations of his contract.

KP has shown more loyalty to Leeds than any other modern day footballer, that will do for me.#

The lad is special, if we fail to achieve promotion Kalvin can further his promising career elsewhere with my blessing
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Meslier kept us in the game apparently, we lost at Palace last season
1964white

Post by 1964white »

The improvement in Stuart Dallas's game is quite staggering tbh, Marcelo has worked the oracle once again

Dallas is one of the first names on the team sheet right now
1964white

Post by 1964white »

As for Cooper we all know he has limited ability

He was playing in one of the poorest ever Scottish teams with a shambles of a defence. Lets hope those experiences at international level doesn't affect his form & confidence at Leeds.

If we do go up sadly Coops career at Leeds will come to a end

That game last night was like watching a World Class nation v League One opposition
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Makes sense from Kps viewpoint to gave a get out clause, lets hope he doesnt need to use it.

Dallas he put in a great shift, maybe he could have done better for Germanys opening goal. He got sucked in a wee bit fir their ball leading to him and another NI defender going for the same ball.

Before that he was involved in s great move kn the right, he showed great skill before drilling in a killer cross which the German keeper couldn't hold.

Poor Cooper, but the Svots are a shambles of late.

I see Jordan Steven's has recieved a six week ban and Leeds arent happy.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Irish Ian wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:40 am I see Jordan Steven's has received a six week ban and Leeds aren't happy.
Banned from all football activities for 6 weeks - guess that includes not being able to wear any Leeds merchandise with a betting company's name emblazoned all over it.
hector

Post by hector »

Irish Ian wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:39 am

I see Jordan Steven's has recieved a six week ban and Leeds arent happy.
What is that for?
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
wilsdenwhite
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by wilsdenwhite »

hector wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:09 pm What is that for?
He placed 59 bets last season, 5 of which involved Leeds games.
|||L|||E|||E|||D|||S|||
1964white

Post by 1964white »

wilsdenwhite wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:12 pm He placed 59 bets last season, 5 of which involved Leeds games.
What a idiot

He needs to knock gambling on the head or his career/life will be totally ruined
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

1964white wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:28 pm What a idiot

He needs to knock gambling on the head or his career/life will be totally ruined
It has been mentioned so often now about these modern footballers.

They get handed a great career, get paid way more money than they ever dreamed off for what is basically work part time, so they then find themselves cashed up and with lots of free time on their hands....

Easy prey for those who would lead them astray.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

To be honest he made 59 bets totalling around £500 in wagers so hardly like he was standing to gain a huge amount, more likely just a bit of boredom - seem to recall a betting company recently with a slogan along the lines of 'it matters more if there's money on it' basically encouraging people to bet on a match to make it more exciting. The 5 bets on Leeds involved 3 bets on us to win and 2 bets that both us and the opponents would score two goals so not like he was betting against the club using insider knowledge.

A great punishment though 6 weeks of not being able to do anything football related or have contact with football staff. Yes that will help ease the boredom....
hector

Post by hector »

wilsdenwhite wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:12 pm He placed 59 bets last season, 5 of which involved Leeds games.
Cheers, but.....
If he was not involved in the Leeds games apart from the fact that gambling is generally for mugs, what did he do wrong?

As I see it, if he is not playing, he can't influence the game in any way, so why should he not be allowed to place bets?
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
1964white

Post by 1964white »

hector wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:55 pm Cheers, but.....
If he was not involved in the Leeds games apart from the fact that gambling is generally for mugs, what did he do wrong?

As I see it, if he is not playing, he can't influence the game in any way, so why should he not be allowed to place bets?
It's a golden rule implemented by FIFA/FA/FL I believe

Stevens knew he was breaking betting rules & deserves his punishment

As I say he needs to get his head sorted out before he ruins a possible lucrative career, it maybe too late if he is a gambling addict. Unsure of the full facts, hopefully he has learned his lesson.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Suffering from anxiety and homesickness, apparently, so isolating him from his team is really going to help.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

SaraM wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:14 pm Suffering from anxiety and homesickness, apparently, so isolating him from his team is really going to help.
Yep, especially as today is World Suicide Prevention Day. :clap: :clap:
'
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Irish Ian wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:32 pm Yep, especially as today is World Suicide Prevention Day. :clap: :clap:
It's almost as if they don't think these things through...
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SaraM wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:14 pm Suffering from anxiety and homesickness, apparently, so isolating him from his team is really going to help.
Not good Sara
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Unfortunately I think he's ruined his career here by betting on us. Queue the likes of Bristol City trying to getting us points docked for match fixing etc. If he hadn't bet on Leeds, it would have been ok, but he brings the club into disrepute. It would be somewhat hypocritical for the club to sack him when we're brandishing a betting logo on our merchandise and the EFL are sponsored by a betting company. It's time betting was outlawed from football forever. Radz needs to decide if money is more important than the welfare of young players who don't know any better.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Storm meet teacup....
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"