The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 28th November) If Nketiah stays, don't expect any transfer activity in January

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 28th November) If Nketiah stays, don't expect any transfer activity in January

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. Its Thursday 28th November, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

If Nketiah stays, don't expect any transfer activity in January

Phil Hay has been talking about potential Leeds signings during the January transfer window, and unfortunately its not good news. The usual suspects of Dwight Gayle, Matěj Vydra and Jarrod Bowen were quickly struck off the Leeds fans wish list for the following reasons:-

Almost certainly, Dwight Gayle will be going to Nottingham Forest in January.

Matej Vydra messed Leeds about last Summer (and due to the lack of game time he has had in the last 18 months, wouldn't be able to keep up with Bielsaball).

Hull forward Jarrod Bowen would be an amazing signing, but with a lack of cash and financial fair play getting in the way, the deal would seem extremely unlikely.

The Ex Yorkshire Evening Post Chief football writer went on to say that if Nketiah stays in January, he doesn't think Leeds will make any signing in January.

Nketiah resumes training today

Eddie Nketiah is set to return to training today following his lower abdominal injury. The on loan Gooner has a ratio of a goal a game for the England U21's and was set to start his first league match of the season when injury struck!

Due to his age and overall fitness, it is believed that the 20 year old will be fit for selection next week against Huddersfield! Should Bielsa change the tactics so to involve Nketiah from the start? Will Bielsa give Nketiah the start he was promised, if so, will he drop Bamford?

There are only seven games to go until the New Year! How many starts between now and the New Year would you imagine Nketiah will start?

Boro win for the first time since mid September

Saturdays opponents Middlesbrough won their first match since mid September in what can /only be described as a dire game.

The only goal of the game came on 54 minutes when Ashley 'thank god Leeds didn't sign him' Fletcher capitalised on a glaring mistake and rolled the ball into an empty net. This led to a frenzy of activity on social media including 'the club had turned a corner' and 'bring on Leeds'.

Whilst I'm not saying Boro are in trouble, I did hear that Gazza has just arrived at the Riverside Stadium with a fishing rod, and a bucket of chicken!!!

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 28th November) If Nketiah stays, don't expect any transfer activity in January

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning folks.

If we dont strengthen this squad then we wont get top two. We brought in at least 25M in the summer in transfer fees. FFP. Leeds should face up to the fact that Kalvin will leave for 25M if we dont promote. Or a promotion brings in 40m. In either case FFP is not an issue. So spend some cash on a CB. Especially as three at the back seems to be needed now.

Nice to see Edie back. In desperation he will be brought back early, let's hope he doesnt get hurt again.

Boro. Well we do have a knack of making the opposition look good.. But Leeds need to batter someone
, and soon and I hope it is them on Saturday.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 28th November) If Nketiah stays, don't expect any transfer activity in January

Post by Ellandback1 »

Morning Ian, yes I really hope we batter Boro.

I wonder what kind of reaction Woodgate will get from the Leeds faithful?

We definitely need some height, a set piece taker and a rock solid centre back.

Phil Hay was saying that our goal to cormer ratio is actually 140 - 1. The worst in the division!!!
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I don't really see any point strengthening either unless there was another Dan James type player somewhere, but with Costa improving every week there may be no need. Obviously if Neketiah leaves then we need to replace him but if not then we have a fairly balanced squad. For all people moan about a lack of centrebacks Bielsa not only preferred Berardi over PJ at the start of last season (until Berardi got injured) but also in the play-offs when PJ was fit (the vast majority of fans also agreed Berardi had played so well in the 1st leg he deserved to keep his place for the second leg but then a lot changed their minds after the match). Bielsa clearly rates Berardi there so any centreback coming in would likely only be 4th choice or we'd be pushing either White or our Captain out of the team - which isn't going to happen.

Last season in January we needed a pacy player and a keeper. We signed the keeper so no need to sign another keeper so really the only likely signing would be if they have spotted someone who could come in and make an immediate impact but given how Bielsa likes to integrate a player slowly I can't really see much likelihood of us signing someone.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Not worried about this game in the slightest. I'm not going to say we'll smash them since we're just not doing that to teams at the moment but I'm very confident we'll pick up three points. A flukey win will not undo Woodgate's tactical inadequacies.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

weasel wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:13 am I don't really see any point strengthening either unless there was another Dan James type player somewhere, but with Costa improving every week there may be no need. Obviously if Neketiah leaves then we need to replace him but if not then we have a fairly balanced squad. For all people moan about a lack of centrebacks Bielsa not only preferred Berardi over PJ at the start of last season (until Berardi got injured) but also in the play-offs when PJ was fit (the vast majority of fans also agreed Berardi had played so well in the 1st leg he deserved to keep his place for the second leg but then a lot changed their minds after the match). Bielsa clearly rates Berardi there so any centreback coming in would likely only be 4th choice or we'd be pushing either White or our Captain out of the team - which isn't going to happen.

Last season in January we needed a pacy player and a keeper. We signed the keeper so no need to sign another keeper so really the only likely signing would be if they have spotted someone who could come in and make an immediate impact but given how Bielsa likes to integrate a player slowly I can't really see much likelihood of us signing someone.
We've also got Shackleton ready to come back and I'm certain Eddie will start some games soon, which was the plan before his injury.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

If Eddie stays we're set imo. Centre back wise you'd have to get someone who's happy to be our CB4, I doubt anyone here would drop White for the new guy, Coop is captain and starts, Berardi is probably the best back up in division. So any new CB would have to be an improvement on Phillips or Struijk...

We have a lot of wingers and wing backs, if Davis can't get a game then we're set wide. Forshaw can't be out much longer so we have 5 or 6 centre mids...

We could maybe use a true 10 but I think that could be Shack at some point
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

I don't expect any signings in the transfer window even though we'll be up the creek if White, Phillips, Hernandez & Bamford sustain long term injuries, particularly Ben & Kalvin.

Sorry to be negative but how the hell do you replace those four when the ones behind them are not as effective?
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

January.

If Radz and Orta haven't learned from last season then i despair. Eddie stays then we still need a proper number 10 imo. Look at how vital Pereira is for WBA with his goals,assists and creativity from the 10 position, 4 goals 7 assists.

We lack that and MB has wanted Saiz replaced for 12 months so just do it.

As Ian says, we will sell KP in the summer if we dont go up anyway, so why not push the boat out for a change? On another note, how are we going to replace White, Harrison, Nketiah, KP etc with no money should we not get promoted?

Nketiah.

I expect Eddie to go back to Arsenal and imo i firmly believe MB didnt want him, not a slight on Eddie who clearly is very talented but imo he wasnt the type of player MB wanted as MB has alluded to himself. Id love to see MB try Bamford and Eddie as a 9 and 10 though, the lack of a pacey creative number 10 is frustrating so try Eddie.

Boro.

Boro are having an injury crisis and their best player (Randolph) is injured. We should beat Boro, no excuses and its vital we do given some of the games next weekend.

Swansea vs Fulham
Preston vs WBA
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white

Post by 1964white »

No chance of signing Jarrod Bowen

Hull fans telling me he was exceptional last night, playing a more central role now. Bowen was the one to go for in the summer especially after we sold Roofe.

Bowen 12 goals & 4 assists (19 goals last season), will hit my requirement of 25 easily this season, can't say the same about our No.9 for all I appreciate his work rate

Bamford 6 goals & 2 assists

Hopefully our star CB will keep Bowen quiet in December
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ironic how three teams banged in four goals last night

Surely we'll manage a blast of goals at least once this season
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

1964white wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:11 pm Ironic how three teams banged in four goals last night

Surely we'll manage a blast of goals at least once this season
It's always nice when that happens dude, but of all those teams only WB are unbeaten in their last five like us. Give me 15 points of 1 goal wins over 12 points with a big scores anytime, only one path leads to the promised land my man. :)
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Bowen would secure us promotion I've no doubt. He can play anywhere across the middle or upfront and he has the strikers instinct of being in the right place at the right time. Should the unthinkable happen we'll recoup more than his fee when KP is sold.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

If the Bamford that played against Luton shows up on Saturday, Eddie will sit both the entire Middlesbrough game and won't start against Huddersfield.

If the Bamford that showed up on Tuesday also shows up on Saturday, we'll get 30 minutes of Eddie and he will start v. Huddersfield.

I think.

I like the look of our squad as is. Don't understand why everyone is so concerned about the CB position. We're conceding barely half a goal a game. With White, Cooper, and Berardi to hold down the two positions, I think we're in pretty good shape. If anything, we need more goals, but as long as it takes someone new to get up to speed in Bielsa's system (not to mention the extra physical conditioning required), I'm not sure that anyone we might add in January will have an opportunity to make a significant contribution. If we do sign someone, it will need to be someone so good as to be able to make an immediate impact.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

mothbanquet wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:32 pm It's always nice when that happens dude, but of all those teams only WB are unbeaten in their last five like us. Give me 15 points of 1 goal wins over 12 points with a big scores anytime, only one path leads to the promised land my man. :)
Would be nice to watch a game feeling comfortable for a change as oppose to all the edge of the seat stuff

Tbh we should have won several games by a wide margin
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

1964white wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:28 pm Would be nice to watch a game feeling comfortable for a change as oppose to all the edge of the seat stuff

Tbh we should have won several games by a wide margin
Aye, all true...but then it wouldn't be Leeds would it? :lol: