Good Morning. It's Thursday 14th May, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...
Premier League seek permission to scrap neutral venues
The Premier League (and the EFL) are to set for crunch talks with Government officials regarding the vast majority of their members from the top two tiers of English football showing resentment at the proposition of having to play the remainder of their games at neutral venues. The Government's position is not fixed in stone, although head of UK football policing Mark Roberts told the whining bottom six clubs from the PL last week they should 'get a grip'.
Premier League chief executive Richard Masters said: 'Obviously it is the preference of all our clubs to play at home if at all possible. But all must be cognisant of what authorities are telling us and we will continue with that conversation. It is an ongoing dialogue. We are in contact with the authorities and listening to advice while representing club views in those discussions.'
Canaries throw toys off their perch
Norwich City's Sporting Director Stuart Webber has told Sky Sports they will not swap places with Leeds unless all Championship games have been concluded! The Canaries, who are currently perched bottom of the Premier League, and are seven points from safety insist they will not allow a scenario that they are relegated, unless all fixtures from the Championship have been fulfilled.
What we could not accept is a situation where we play all our games and get relegated, but the Championship can’t play, and they automatically promote some teams who haven’t finished the season. For anyone who has got promoted from the Championship, it is a 46 or 49 game slog. It needs to be settled on the pitch — both coming up and going down.
Unfortunately for Webber, his brave words won't have much of an impact on the FA who have wide-ranging powers as a 'special shareholder' within the Premier League's founding constitution, including a veto on issues involving promotion and relegation.
Special measures being put into place so training can resume.
Football authorities and Government officials are setting special guidelines which will ensure that training can recommence on Monday 18th May. A list of the guidelines have been sent to players and managers of the Premier League, though it is expected the EFL will follow suit. The strict protocols include:
Tackling will be banned
Players restricted to groups of five (to start with)
Corner-flags, balls, cones, goalposts and even playing surfaces will be disinfected after each session.
Training restricted to 75 minutes.
Daily pre-training questionnaire
Daily temperature check.
Meticulous personal hygiene and use of PPE [personal protective equipment]
No congregation in communal areas
Cannot share transport with anyone to and from the training ground
Team vehicles and public transport should not be used.