The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 18th June) - Reintroduction of football a milestone on our road to normality

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 18th June) - Reintroduction of football a milestone on our road to normality

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Thursday 18th June, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

The reintroduction of football should act as a milestone to our road to normality and recovery

Football has returned to our screens, 100 days after sport in the UK was ground to a halt because of coronavirus. Whilst its great to have the most popular sport in the World back on the box, its important to remember that over 40,000 lives in the UK have been lost including inspirational legends of the game Norman Hunter and Trevor Cherry (who died suddenly a week after NH).

We must also remember the tens of thousands of small businesses and sole traders;l many of which have been financially devastated over recent times. Most of all, lets also spare a thought for our brave men and woman who work for our NHS, risking their lives, so they can save others.Lets hope that the reintroduction of football acts as a milestone to our road to normality and recovery.

What to do when football technology fails

Yesterday we saw for the first time football technology fail when Villa keeper Orjan Nyland carried Oliver Norwood's 42nd-minute free kick clearly over the goal line. Unfortunately referee Michael Oliver Hawkeye only signalled for the goal during half time. They say that decisions on the pitch even themselves out over the season, but with every goal in the Premiership being scrutinised before its given, that is not the case.

What if another team is relegated due to the extra point Villa collected? Should the ref have awarded the goal at the start of the second half? Where blatant mistakes are made, and the technology has a blip, should football authorities now reverse the result? Potentially, the mistake may cost a club over 1£00m.

Was the remembrance overshadowed by BLM

During both Premiership games, we witnessed both sets of players 'taking the knee' in support of Black Lives Matter'. Whilst I'm sure we all support the cause, should yesterdays games have been more about the lives that have been taken, the brave NHS and the milestone celebrating the road to recovery?

What if a club, or player(s) feel uneasy about either 'taking the knee' or wearing 'Black Lives Matter' on the back of their shirt. That doesn't make them racist, but, it that how they would be interpreted? Are all clubs under pressure to copy the precedents set by the first four clubs? Do you feel that remembrance for the coronavirus fallen was overshadowed by 'BLM'?

Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 18th June) - Reintroduction of football a milestone on our road to normality

Post by Ratscoot »

Footballs back, footballs back, oh my god footballs back :)

I’m definitely pleased, wife’s not I think because she much preferred the reruns of the 96 Euros, 100 Years of Leeds, reruns of the 2/3rds of this season and pretty any other old games I could find to watch :duno:

It’s a pity that the Villains and Blunts tried to bore the excitement out of us, yes Wilder we all know it was a goal but do you really think JohnTerry is gonna give you that one?

Then the Arse tried to get their game cancelled by having all their players pull a sicky and having to play Side Show Bob :lol: :lol:

But it’s back and now for the Mighty Leeds to show the world how to play beautiful football
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 18th June) ]What to do when football technology fails

Post by Ellandback1 »

gessa

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 18th June) - Reintroduction of football a milestone on our road to normality

Post by gessa »

#avfc Dean Smith tells me in post match -at no stage did he consider ordering his players to allow #sufc to score unopposed, and he’s sure Chris Wilder wouldn’t have done either. Says Villa have had enough VAR decisions go against them this season to have deserved that one. #ssn

Firstly 2 wrongs don't make a right.
This statement shows that Bielsa is a bigger man than both of you put together, perhaps you could both stop with your continuous cheap shots, as neither of you can take the moral high ground.

Not that John Terry should ever talk about integrity
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

I don't see how you can compare people dying from a virus with people being murdered by the police because of the colour of their skin. Making an equivalence almost suggests that the latter is a natural, if tragic event.

There are all sorts of ways in which people subtly, and perhaps unintentionally, minimise the effects of racism; from Trump's 'both sides' to the sudden protectiveness towards statues of old slavers. As white people we don't see it, not because we're racist, but because it isn't part of our experience.

I'm never sure whether things like this at football are counterproductive. On the one hand the issues need to be visible, and it is good to give support to our black players, but on the other many fans seem to feel they're being preached at, and the compassion fatigue sets in.

I'm not keen on memorial events in sport generally, unless it's directly for a member of the club. No one seems to know where to draw the line. Nine minutes applause for the spent lives of a fan's auntie's neighbour's cat, anyone?

Racism and homophobia directly affect players and fans alike, and should be addressed, but if the reactions are, 'is this necessary?', then the message isn't getting across.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

SaraM wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:39 am I don't see how you can compare people dying from a virus with people being murdered by the police because of the colour of their skin. Making an equivalence almost suggests that the latter is a natural, if tragic event.

There are all sorts of ways in which people subtly, and perhaps unintentionally, minimise the effects of racism; from Trump's 'both sides' to the sudden protectiveness towards statues of old slavers. As white people we don't see it, not because we're racist, but because it isn't part of our experience.

I'm never sure whether things like this at football are counterproductive. On the one hand the issues need to be visible, and it is good to give support to our black players, but on the other many fans seem to feel they're being preached at, and the compassion fatigue sets in.

I'm not keen on memorial events in sport generally, unless it's directly for a member of the club. No one seems to know where to draw the line. Nine minutes applause for the spent lives of a fan's auntie's neighbour's cat, anyone?

Racism and homophobia directly affect players and fans alike, and should be addressed, but if the reactions are, 'is this necessary?', then the message isn't getting across.
Well said Sara
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Have to say I was uneasy after seeing those BLM slogans in the players shirts.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

gessa wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:02 am #avfc Dean Smith tells me in post match -at no stage did he consider ordering his players to allow #sufc to score unopposed, and he’s sure Chris Wilder wouldn’t have done either. Says Villa have had enough VAR decisions go against them this season to have deserved that one. #ssn

Firstly 2 wrongs don't make a right.
This statement shows that Bielsa is a bigger man than both of you put together, perhaps you could both stop with your continuous cheap shots, as neither of you can take the moral high ground.

Not that John Terry should ever talk about integrity
Amen to that.