The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 23rd July) - Leeds sign off the season in style

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 23rd July) - Leeds sign off the season in style

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Thursday 23rd July, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Leeds sign off the season in style

Bielsa's babes produced another masterclass as they prepare for life in the Premiership, condemning Charlton Athletic to life back to life in the third tier of English football. Any hopes that Leeds would take it easy on Lee Bowyer's side were dashed on 2 mins as Harrison curled a shot just wide of goal

The Whites took the lead on 13 minutes. Hernandez corner was returned back to him, and the veteran play maker's sublime pass found White on the edge of the D. The on loan defender added a further 5m to his Summer price tag as he chested the ball before smashing it through the roof of the net from over 20 yards out- not bad for his first goal of the season. Hernandez set up the second goal too. He carved the Addicks defence in half (and another trademark nutmeg) allowing Dallas to stab the ball home.

Leeds extended their lead further six minutes into the second half. Roberts pin point header straight from a corner gave Charlton keeper Dillon Phillips no chance. The icing on the cake came 25 minutes from time, Poveda latched on to a sixty yard diagonal pass. He squared the ball to Shackleton who calmly guided the ball into the corner of the net for his second goal in as many games. Finally, the ghosts of 1987 and Peter Shirtliff can be laid to rest.

Final day mayhem

Five games ago, Luton, Barnsley, Stoke, Middlesbrough and Huddersfield made up the bottom five of the Championship. Who would have thought ten days later all five would escape the trapdoor!!! If truth be known Hull have been on a collision course to league 1 since early January. They have won once in 20 games. Wigan's 12 point deduction for entering administration is well document. Had they held on to beat Fulham, they would have avoided relegation by the skin of their teeth. Plucky Charlton had only spent one week in the relegation zone before Leeds cemented their fate.

Most thought Luton's fate was sealed at Christmas. The Hatters were rooted to the bottom of the Championship and were leaking goals for fun. However, their great escape started upon the restart of the season. Nathan Jones' men accumulated an impressive sixteen points from their final nine games to escape relation at the 11th hour.

Barnsley were in the relegation-zone every week from 15 September until the 91st minute in the final game of the season! They too found their form when the season restarted at the end of June. 15 points from their final 9 games, including a last gasp winner last night from ex White Clarke Adour last night was enough to keep Barnsley up, and condemn Brentford to the play offs.

At the other end of the table, Nottingham Forest had a seven-goal cushion and a 3pt buffer going into last nights game overturned by Swansea City. Who would you like to see win the play offs? Should Wigans 12 point deduction for going into administration be overturned?

Kinnear - How can we trust you?

Thousands of Leeds descended en mass outside Elland Road last night, ignoring Leeds Utds plea's to stay away. Instead of road blocks, barriers and a big Police presence, the crowd were treated to an open bus parade. This is a real kick in the teeth for the majority of the fans who had enough respect for the club they love to stay away.

Furious Leeds fans have taken to social media to express their disgust at what has been described as the 'scum element' of Elland Road, and being 'one step up from Millwall fans' after scenes of anti social behaviour, dozens of flares, smoke bombs and drunken behaviour once again taints our great club. Should the fans be allowed to celebrate - of course they should, but what about the majority of fans who had the respect to stay away!

Leeds Managing Director Angus Kinnear's repeated warnings over the past week fell on deaf ears as early as last Friday. Hundreds of fans were greeted by the sights of their hero's celebrating from the Elland Road offices. Having been treated to those scenes of jubilation, thousands more decide to ignore Kinnears further orders to stay away from Elland Road last night, and were rewarded to see the Champions lift the title from an open top bus.

Don't you think the rest of us would have wanted to see that?

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 23rd July) Kinnear - How can we trust you?

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning Folks

Most of those who were at the ground were probably drunk so they will hardly remember anything or will have been viewing the whole event through their phones, which is kind of the same for most of the rest of us who were probably drinking too and looking through our screens!

Poor Wigan.

If there is a way for Luton to take their place I am all for it, if only because of their annoying manager,if not then sorry, but Barnsley were the story of the night they should stay up.

Cardiff for the Prem. Only because they are rubbish and play ugly football.
But for Leeds sake the less London teams we have to play the better imo.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

I do completely agree with the sentiment regarding the ER celebrations EB, but the way I see it, there's always going to be those people whatever the case may be, the event would have been truly tainted by the forced police removal of hundreds of our own fans from our own stadium, and I don't think the players deserved that.

Again, not condoning it or anything but it's happened now and if we can take anything positive from it, it's that those players and staff who haven't been able to experience the ecstasy of the fans firsthand for nearly half a season got at least a little taste of it when they would enjoy it the most. I'm happy for them and I don't think anyone can say they don't deserve it after all they've given us.

Absolutely chuffed for Barnsley and Swansea, they were the the only teams since we got into our post-lockdown groove who gave us any trouble and pushed us to the end. People are going to say Cardiff but I think they'll meet Swansea in the final, and it'll be a coin toss. Swansea had the look of a team who were really finding their rhythm.

Struber's got his team playing like demons and announced his presence on the Championship stage. I wonder if some young talent will see him and want to go there on loan, thinking they like how this manager plays? Potentially club-defining performances if they can make good signings and keep up what they know they're capable of now.

Exciting times, folks. :)
Last edited by mothbanquet on Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

The open top bus thing may have been a fairly last minute decision based on the number of fans who turned up outside the ground against the club’s advice. A case of “well if you can’t beat ‘em join ‘em” type scenario.

Out of the clubs in the play offs I wouldn’t particularly want any of them promoted. Leeds never play well in London so wouldn’t want either of those. We also never play well against Cardiff for some reason (probably their anti-football style) so wouldn’t want them either. It would have to be Swansea I suppose - the lesser of four evils.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Irish Ian wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:32 am Morning Folks

Most of those who were at the ground were probably drunk so they will hardly remember anything or will have been viewing the whole event through their phones, which is kind of the same for most of the rest of us who were probably drinking too and looking through our screens!

Poor Wigan.

If there is a way for Luton to take their place I am all for it, if only because of their annoying manager,if not then sorry, but Barnsley were the story of the night they should stay up.

Cardiff for the Prem. Only because they are rubbish and play ugly football.
But for Leeds sake the less London teams we have to play the better imo.
Cardiff - Swansea play off final sounds a bit tasty!!!!!
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

mothbanquet wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:48 am I do completely agree with the sentiment regarding the ER celebrations EB, but the way I see it, there's always going to be those people whatever the case may be, the event would have been truly tainted by the forced police removal of hundreds of our own fans from our own stadium, and I don't think the players deserved that.

Again, not condoning it or anything but it's happened now and if we can take anything positive from it, it's that those players and staff who haven't been able to experience the ecstasy of the fans firsthand for nearly half a season got at least a little taste of it when they would enjoy it the most. I'm happy for them and I don't think anyone can say they don't deserve it after all they've given us.

Absolutely chuffed for Barnsley and Swansea, they were the the only teams since we got into our post-lockdown groove who gave us any trouble and pushed us to the end. People are going to say Cardiff but I think they'll meet Swansea in the final, and it'll be a coin toss. Swansea had the look of a team who were really finding their rhythm.

Struber's got his team playing like demons and announced his presence on the Championship stage. I wonder if some young talent will see him and want to go there on loan, thinking they like how this manager plays? Potentially club-defining performances if they can make good signings and keep up what they know they're capable of now.

Exciting times, folks. :)
I understand MB, but for me its actually tainted the season. Surely TRUE fans would have stayed away as thousands did.

Great for Barnsley, imagine - you're in the relegation zone from September to injury time on the last game of the season. That must be the great, great, great escape!!!!

I'm sure it will come to light but Bielsa gave Struber some advice after the game at Elland Road, and apparently it made the difference last night.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:55 am I understand MB, but for me its actually tainted the season. Surely TRUE fans would have stayed away as thousands did.

Great for Barnsley, imagine - you're in the relegation zone from September to injury time on the last game of the season. That must be the great, great, great escape!!!!

I'm sure it will come to light but Bielsa gave Struber some advice after the game at Elland Road, and apparently it made the difference last night.
Aye, I can't fault your logic mate, I think this is something that will generate a wide spectrum of opinion.

Really? I'm going to have to look that up, might be very interesting next season if the advice sticks...
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 23rd July) - Leeds sign off the season in style

Post by SG90 »

How great is this! :love:
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 23rd July) - Leeds sign off the season in style

Post by BGwhite »

All I can say is no one will stop the fans congregating but the club encouraged it. Did they really think that the fans would stay at home ? Certainly after last week the clue is there for all to see.

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

I would like Swansea to do it (eventhough I'd like Rodon and he'd be cheaper if they don't go up), but sadly think hoofball Cardiff will win it. The playoffs usually favours the form team and they are that.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Are the club selling those Champions t shirts? It'd be a nice momento.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

I have to say they are delusional if they thought fans would never turn up, especially at Leeds and Liverpool, two clubs who have waited years for this moment and haven't been able to celebrate in the stands. Football is an emotional sport, take away the emotion and you're left with nothing. That said, that doesn't mean idiots can go around smashing up cars and punching police.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Bryn Law had his car damaged last week at the ground during the 'celebrations' but was joking about it last night with Paul Robinson & Tony Dorigo. Shortly afterwards the loudest fireworks bang was heard and Robbo said "was that your car Bryn ?" very very funny to which Bryn &Tony couldn't stop laughing. Just a very funny moment during last night's latest master-class.

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

For me the club acted right. They can only ask/advice people to stay at home but people have free will and if they want to put themselves at risk it is their choice. It wasn't like anyone turning up there could have thought 'I will be able to turn up there and be able to social distance and still celebrate.'

I always suggested that it was pointless to move the matches as the fans would celebrate at the stadium regardless of where the matches were played. The stadium is the church, the temple, the place of worship. You celebrate the moment, you can't really do the celebration in 6 months time when a couple of players might have left, a couple might have hardly featured in the new season, we might be playing poorly and embroiled in a relegation fight etc - the mood just wouldn't be the same.

I do think the bus idea was probably something that the club planned in advance in case fans did turn up so that they could have a way to do the celebration so that it was a quick celebration and then fans would disperse. It was a good idea and quite rightly kept under wraps so that more fans didn't turn up.

It has all worked out quite well in terms of being able to have almost a continual week of celebrations and it is now at an end. Liverpool's was a strange one given that they were presented with the trophy last night despite having won it ages ago.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

I'd prefer Swansea out of the teams in the playoffs.

Happy for the fans who were able to celebrate, and it made it more of an occasion for the players and the club.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

weasel wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:32 am For me the club acted right. They can only ask/advice people to stay at home but people have free will and if they want to put themselves at risk it is their choice. It wasn't like anyone turning up there could have thought 'I will be able to turn up there and be able to social distance and still celebrate.'

I always suggested that it was pointless to move the matches as the fans would celebrate at the stadium regardless of where the matches were played. The stadium is the church, the temple, the place of worship. You celebrate the moment, you can't really do the celebration in 6 months time when a couple of players might have left, a couple might have hardly featured in the new season, we might be playing poorly and embroiled in a relegation fight etc - the mood just wouldn't be the same.

I do think the bus idea was probably something that the club planned in advance in case fans did turn up so that they could have a way to do the celebration so that it was a quick celebration and then fans would disperse. It was a good idea and quite rightly kept under wraps so that more fans didn't turn up.

It has all worked out quite well in terms of being able to have almost a continual week of celebrations and it is now at an end. Liverpool's was a strange one given that they were presented with the trophy last night despite having won it ages ago.
You are absolutely spot on weasel.
Sky have a reporter at Elland Road explaining the bus. Leeds had repeatedly asked fans to stay away. After Friday night and Saturday night the club spoke with The council and safety group SAG. Anyway it was decided that as a contingency, an open top bus would be at Elland Road, the idea being that if thousands of fans did turn up ( again, after being asked not to) then seeing the players on the bus would finalise the promotion and hopefully then, the crowd would disperse
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Just an addition to my previous post, Leeds council have come out and said it was aware of 'the bus' and claimed that the measures were 'effective' as the crowd dispersed within 40 mins of the 'event finishing