Joe Gelhardt

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Joe Gelhardt- Wigan loan close

Post by weasel »

SaraM wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:17 am Certainly looks that way. Too much pizza, probably.

Would have thought he could've done better than Wigan.
Probably a sensible move as he is from Wigan and with it being just a loan he could probably move in with family rather than having to find a short term home etc. He also has the familiarity of knowing the club, knowing some of the players etc. Makes a lot of sense for me.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Who’d have thought he’d be going back to Wigan on loan after the highs of Norwich at home last season.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

weasel wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:53 am Probably a sensible move as he is from Wigan and with it being just a loan he could probably move in with family rather than having to find a short term home etc. He also has the familiarity of knowing the club, knowing some of the players etc. Makes a lot of sense for me.
Depends whether his priority is an easy life, or getting the best footballing experience he can...
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

SaraM wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:00 am Depends whether his priority is an easy life, or getting the best footballing experience he can...
He probably just wants to play games and would likely drop to Sunday League just to play matches. No footballer wants 2 to 3 minutes playing time every week. If Wigan can guarantee him a starting position then it really doesn't matter if it's Wigan or any other team as he will be playing against Championship sides. Why not help your local side out rather than any other team?
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

weasel wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:14 am He probably just wants to play games and would likely drop to Sunday League just to play matches. No footballer wants 2 to 3 minutes playing time every week. If Wigan can guarantee him a starting position then it really doesn't matter if it's Wigan or any other team as he will be playing against Championship sides. Why not help your local side out rather than any other team?
I don't know anything about them, but I'm assuming they're bottom of the table for a reason. I would've thought he could've found a more productive experience at a more successful club, that's all.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

...and what's getting relegated going to do for his confidence? Don't know...
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

I tend to agree with Sara. This is a lad who’s shown abundant promise and now he’s back where he came from slugging it out in a relegation scrap. Presumably with a team who are struggling to score. Maybe that’s because they are creating fewer chances than everyone else as opposed to just needing someone to finish them off.
If he was guaranteed game time I’d much prefer to see a more positive experience at somewhere like West Brom or Blackburn
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

SaraM wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:32 am I don't know anything about them, but I'm assuming they're bottom of the table for a reason. I would've thought he could've found a more productive experience at a more successful club, that's all.
Even if he went to a more successful club it would still mean he was playing against championship teams. I think it would be nice, and show him in a good light, for him to go back to his original and hometown club and help them avoid relegation. A little bit like when Richard Naylor dropped down a division to come to us to try to help us get promoted.

Going to a club that is doing well he would be less likely to go straight into their team. A bit like when Cantona joined us in our title winning team and Wilko kept faith with the Wallace & Chapman combination predominantly.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Jaydog wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:44 am I tend to agree with Sara.
Steady!
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

SaraM wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:02 pmSteady!
:) I’m always more agreeable on a Friday
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Mountain wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:08 am Wow.

Rewind a year and the clamour for him to play, and the abuse directed at the last manager for not playing him, was constant. And contrasted with his mother's grateful note when he was sacked.

It seems like his development has gone off a cliff.
Obviously we have gone back to getting out the chequebook and buying instead of careful coaching.
It's what happens when you overhype players beyond their level. The board massively overestimated the level and quality of u21s football and thus overhyped the u21 signings we made 3 years ago.

If he was as good as the forum says, he wouldn't be going to Wigan.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

SaraM wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:02 pmHold Steady!

We're getting there

Got my copy "Tell me your mind and I'll tell you mine" today in the post ...lovely stuff, just a shame State Trooper isn't on it
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

faaip wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:04 pm We're getting there

Got my copy "Tell me your mind and I'll tell you mine" today in the post ...lovely stuff, just a shame State Trooper isn't on it
Think that's a single only, isn't it?
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Appears Sunderland have won the race to get Joe on loan.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Barlow Boy wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:26 pm Appears Sunderland have won the race to get Joe on loan.
Personally glad about that. I watched a little bit of the Sunderland, Middlesbrough game the other night and i thought both teams played some good stuff. We don't want him going down with Wigan.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Leeds1000 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:35 pm Personally glad about that. I watched a little bit of the Sunderland, Middlesbrough game the other night and i thought both teams played some good stuff. We don't want him going down with Wigan.
I think we'll lose him anyway, sunderland fans will love him, why would he come back to Leeds to play understudy to bamford, rodrigo, rutter, sinisterra, sommerville , and whomever else we sign, then we still have roberts and james well ahead of him.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Barlow Boy wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:26 pm Appears Sunderland have won the race to get Joe on loan.
Not my fave club (remembering 1973 and Bob Stokio as my Mum called him)
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:11 pm Not my fave club (remembering 1973 and Bob Stokio as my Mum called him)
Better move for Joffy than his old club Wigan.

41,000+ attendances.
Similar atmosphere to ER.
One point off the play-offs.
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Joe Gelhardt- Sunderland loan close

Post by GreennWhite »

Definitely a much better move to Sunderland than Wigan.
Hope he does well there :tup:
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

whiteswan wrote: Not my fave club (remembering 1973 and Bob Stokio as my Mum called him)
Wow ! 50 years nearly! I remember crying my eyes out after that....my wife couldn't understand me ImageImage

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk