Marcelo Bielsa

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Marcelo Bielsa

Post by John in Louisiana »

Seeing reports that Marcelo Bielsa is in negotiations to be the next manager at LUFC.

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... -1-9188550

I personally think this would be a great, if unconventional, hire.
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Re: Marcelo Bielsa

Post by Gurj »

Now this would be a REAL sign of ambition. He's held in such high esteem by the likes of Pep and many others, been there and done it and really would be a step up in class to what we have had recently coaching wise. I really hope this rumour is true.
Last edited by Gurj on Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

Must confess to not knowing too much about him but having read his past clubs and jobs he seems an amazing link...too amazing?
gessa

Post by gessa »

Apparently the guy who revealed things about the 49 ers before they happened, was saying this 2 days ago. Could have legs.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Seems a bit weird as a person, trains midfielders away from strikers, defenders too. Up to 4 hour post game press conferences, though that would depend on his command of the English language here I guess. Seems to be a bit of a metrics guy which I like. Devout Catholic

Walked out on Espanyol quickly and then again Lazio without even coaching a single game. Struggled in France with Lille. Resigned from Marseilles So we may have to deal with an unexpected resignation at some point, speaks no English which for me is a problem.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

Unpredictable does seem to sum him up. Spoken of highly by some very knowledgeable football people. He seems to be meticulous as a coach with some complex ideas, my concern would be "are our players capable of carrying out his ideas?", may be that we need someone who can get us doing the most basic things right first.....

Whoever we're linked with the general consensus does seem to be that it's the end of the road for Heck when he gets back from holiday.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Heckingbottom gone and it looks likely the above is favourite right now ...I'm anxious about this purely from the replacement angle but we shall see but it could very easily be a rocky ride with a lot of comings and goings.

If it is Biesla it looks and should be another mid table season for us...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

It's going to worry me and Harry who like stability
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Bielsa is definitely a high risk/high reward kind of guy. If we hire him, I don't think another mid-table finish is in the offing, whichever way it goes.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

John in Louisiana wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:55 am Bielsa is definitely a high risk/high reward kind of guy. If we hire him, I don't think another mid-table finish is in the offing, whichever way it goes.
I doubt we get relegated but mass personnel, tactic, philosophy changes seldom if ever work season 1 ...and he seems the type to walk away if it goes wrong or he has a spat with the owner ...
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:22 am It's going to worry me and Harry who like stability
And me whoever we appoint, our owners haven't got it right in decades :(
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

So lets play with this for a minute. Bielsa likes to play a 3331 formation or combination of 3331. That's one centre back, a pair of full backs. Then it looks like 3 CMF/DMF followed buy 3 AMF and a striker

BPF (now a full international I hear? )

Ayling - Jannson - Pearce

Forshaw Klich Vierra

Alioski Hernandez Saiz

Roberts

?

from what we have here right now
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Marcelo has the right credentials to manage Leeds

Apart from not speaking the English language apparently he talks in riddles.....this should be fun listening

Anyone on here up for the job of an interpreter :lol:
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Dont know if this is right.

But, there is so much respect around the footballing world for Bielsa its a no brainer to take the chance.

If he is good enough for Pep, Poch and Simeone to emulate then he's good enough for me!!!

And there is no way he is a yes man.

God help Saiz if he has a tantrum when he gets subbed.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Cjay wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:41 pm Dont know if this is right.

But, there is so much respect around the footballing world for Bielsa its a no brainer to take the chance.

If he is good enough for Pep, Poch and Simeone to emulate then he's good enough for me!!!

And there is no way he is a yes man.

God help Saiz if he has a tantrum when he gets subbed.
Do you not think the way he plays probably needs a specific type of player of high quality, failed at Lille, walked out of 3 jobs. No real success at club level bar a good cup run or two and on top of that the EFL is a difficult league to play in without prior experience.

Plus, as with most things, what once worked as innovative becomes stale after about 10 years which is roughly when he was last decent and getting the accolades ...
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:48 pm Do you not think the way he plays probably needs a specific type of player of high quality, failed at Lille, walked out of 3 jobs. No real success at club level bar a good cup run or two and on top of that the EFL is a difficult league to play in without prior experience.

Plus, as with most things, what once worked as innovative becomes stale after about 10 years which is roughly when he was last decent and getting the accolades ...
From reading it does seem a lot of the reasons he has left is down to disagreement with the higher ups.
Not necessarily a bad thing for us, at least he isnt a yes man.
His record at Marseille wasnt to bad considering they sold plenty of key players, recruitment at Lille was again apparently a large reason for the falling out and same with Lazio.

His Bilbao side got a standing ovation at Old Trafford and he was a popular choice after Moyes with there fans and was a template for Arsenal when picking Unai Emery.

The reason he doesnt get top jobs i expect is his personality, not a toe the line sort of guy.

If you look at the clubs he has managed he hasnt done a bad job considering there standing, wonder how he would have done with serious cash at a Barcelona or Madrid?

Think he does need a certain type of player, versatile, technically good, incredibly fit.

Press press press, not all players can do that.

His ideas are still very much working, Pep at City, Poch at Spurs, Klopp at Liverpool, Valverde at Barca, Simeone at Madrid etc.

They all are heavily influenced by Bielsa.

His lack of experience in England is a worry, but he is fanatical in preparation, he will watch Championship football non stop im sure.

Not an expert on him, knew a bit and read a bit like you im sure.

He would be a statement of intent though.

Was in the running for Arsenal only weeks ago, his reputation is well above anyone ever to.manage in our league.

He would attract players who probably wouldn't consider a mid table 2nd tier side like us.

He would demand quality signings or he'd walk.

Difficult man though so who knows.
Signed

King Cjay

rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @richleeds64

Post by rich_leeds64 »

If we get him in the not speaking English shouldn’t be too much of a problem as I remember Pochetino on MOTD not being able to speak a single word.

The main thing is whoever we get in needs backing with serious money to get the quality players needed to make a serious push for promotion. Wolves did it, so can we.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

ESPN in Argentina and Peter Coates, a journalist specializing in Argentinian football are both reporting that Bielsa to Leeds is "very close".

ESPN saying that its technicallities like a work permit holding up an announcement.

Dare to dream :angel: :duno:
Signed

King Cjay

Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

rich_leeds64 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:53 pm If we get him in the not speaking English shouldn’t be too much of a problem as I remember Pochetino on MOTD not being able to speak a single word.

The main thing is whoever we get in needs backing with serious money to get the quality players needed to make a serious push for promotion. Wolves did it, so can we.
I agree - neither (to a greater or lesser extent) can Allegri, Tuchel, Simeone or Sampaoli and we wouldn't turn our nose up at any of them :-D
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

At least with Biesla we won't need Kyle Bartley. The centre back spot would be Janssons one assumes