Newcastle United Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Newcastle United Thread - Is Callum Wilson Qatar bound?

Post by Jaydog »

faaip wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:04 pm Brother in law is a millionaire. TBF he helps out the family a lot.... But he's already got 14 holidays planned for next year (including his Nürburgring race days... and my last one was in 2015. Really need a holiday
14 holidays! Show off.
Best holidays I’ve had have often been in the UK. Not necessarily expensive. You should treat yourself
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Jaydog wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:19 pm 14 holidays! Show off.
Best holidays I’ve had have often been in the UK. Not necessarily expensive. You should treat yourself
Would have to be UK, haven't had a passport for 25 years. I do get on the IoW but that's work too, no relaxation. Was there last week, 10 yards from the beach and I didn't even set foot on it

View from the lower balcony
Attachments
PA270161.JPG
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

faaip wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:30 pm Would have to be UK, haven't had a passport for 25 years. I do get on the IoW but that's work too, no relaxation. Was there last week, 10 yards from the beach and I didn't even set foot on it

View from the lower balcony
Had some good holidays on the IOW back in the day.
Keen to get up in to wild Scotland. Less people the better.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Jaydog wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:19 pm 14 holidays! Show off.
All my best holidays have been in the UK. :-D
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:00 pm You're calling Adams/Kristensen/Roca and Sinisterra Lidl prices ?
You know what mean.

Great signings, but relatively cheap fees compared to the top end of the PL.

Tbh, several of the 50m to 100m signings haven't been great.
The Fish
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by The Fish »

Cjay wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:48 pm Could be there Leicester season, won't win the league but top 4 possible.

Liverpool,Manure, Chelsea looking iffy.

Spurs slumping slowly.

Could open the door for Newcastle and there owners will Undoubtedly go loopy in January and spend tons.

Newcastle are basically guaranteed success in the future.

Callum Wilson is decent, not international class really and in years gone by wouldn't have got a look in.

Maybe now?
More similar to 2012 when Pardew (I know, right?!) managed to take the praise for Cabaye, Tiote, Ba, Cisse and Ben Arfa ignoring his shenanigans to guide us to 5th. Then there were the teams in the usual top spots having, by their standards, a poor season, two of the promoted sides having a blinder and some of the usual midtable teams having disastrous seasons. The more I think about it, the more it aligns.

To be fair though, then we were able to field an unchanged side for so much of the season as we were so so lucky with injuries, not so much this time around. We're 4th despite ASM, Wilson and Isak missing games already. Isak still isn't back yet and our £60m man has only played 2 and a half games for us.

We could conceivably finish above Liverpool and Chelsea, but I fear Man Utd are getting into their stride a bit. I'd expect Arsenal to struggle to stay on the top of the pile and Man City to ease past them. Spurs are weird as all hell. They remind me of Mourinho's teams; make sure the defending is solid and just let the attackers do their thing. Which is fine for a midtable side, but for a team gunning for honours, you surely need to impose yourself on the game a little more?

When we beat them at their place we had similar possession, similar pass %, more shots on target, pretty even across the board. But they just couldn't handle our press. They've definitely got the players to pass through it and the pace to play over it. I can see teams who press like Brighton, Emery's Aston Villa and yourselves causing them problems.

In January I think we'll strengthen, but it won't be the big money we saw in the summer. Maybe 1 for the first team and a few for the development squads. The James Maddison rumours aren't going anywhere, but I can't see them dropping their asking price or us stumping up £60m when Almiron is doing as well as he is. (After the summer signings were made, we all thought RW was the next big priority, but now...). The big thing for us is how the World Cup impacts the teams we're trying to disrupt. We've got Pope, Trippier and Wilson likely going if they stay fit. Bruno, maybe Botman and Schar? But Isak, Almiron, ASM, Willock, Longstaff, Shelvey, Targett, Burn, won't go and they'd be in our first team squad most weeks. Then you look at Spurs or Arsenal and Man Utd. They must be sending loads off to Qatar, right?
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

It's a slow process anyway despite all the brass Newcastle have, in another 3/4 years time they will be far better equipped to deal with the enormity of it all, probably won't have Howe there either.
There were rumours you were wanting embarrinson form us, come and get him asap.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
The Fish
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by The Fish »

mentalcase wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:15 am It's a slow process anyway despite all the brass Newcastle have, in another 3/4 years time they will be far better equipped to deal with the enormity of it all, probably won't have Howe there either.
There were rumours you were wanting embarrinson form us, come and get him asap.
Yeah, I think the expectations were that we'd end up in the top half. However if we go into the January Window sitting in 4th, it might accelerate the plans a bit. If Howe keeps the team performing as they are, I can't see a reason to replace him. This is still a team playing with the likes of Longstaff, Schar, Burn, who will all need to be moved on at some point, and yet he's got them performing like a genuine top 4 side. It's remarkable.

There was some interest in Harrison, not sure if we're still keen or if we've moved on.

How's Ted Lasso working out for you lot? Taking over from Bielsa was never going to be an easy task.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

The Fish wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:47 am Yeah, I think the expectations were that we'd end up in the top half. However if we go into the January Window sitting in 4th, it might accelerate the plans a bit. If Howe keeps the team performing as they are, I can't see a reason to replace him. This is still a team playing with the likes of Longstaff, Schar, Burn, who will all need to be moved on at some point, and yet he's got them performing like a genuine top 4 side. It's remarkable.

There was some interest in Harrison, not sure if we're still keen or if we've moved on.

How's Ted Lasso working out for you lot? Taking over from Bielsa was never going to be an easy task.
Jury is split down the middle...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
hector

Post by hector »

I think Ted has slightly more tactical skills than JM
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Better darts player for sure
The Fish
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by The Fish »

faaip wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:13 pm Jury is split down the middle...
What are the arguments for and against? From the outside he seems to be suffering because Bamford can't put it in the back of the net, but your overall play is certainly worthy of 10/11th spot.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

The Fish wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:59 pm What are the arguments for and against? From the outside he seems to be suffering because Bamford can't put it in the back of the net, but your overall play is certainly worthy of 10/11th spot.
He can’t adapt his tactics to take care of lesser opposition. It’s well documented. Against top sides who play out from the back/dominate possession we have 6 points from 9. Should be 9 or at least 7.
6 points from the other 9 games tells its own story.
I’m sure Eddie will work it out mind you
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

The Fish wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:59 pm What are the arguments for and against? From the outside he seems to be suffering because Bamford can't put it in the back of the net, but your overall play is certainly worthy of 10/11th spot.
For? I'm not sure, it's give possession away football and hope the other team makes a mistake and to be fair Chelsea and Liverpool both gifted us a goal start, that's supposed to be a good thing... He and Orta have worked well to bring in some very good players. I do like his passion.

Against ? Team selection, pre arranged subs (though that was less evident v Liverpool). He dropped the excellent Kristensen to play a rusty Ayling, dropping Cooper for the out of form Llorente and that wasn't like for like positionally either. He's been playing Harrison on the right where he's not suited so his form is in the dumpster.

We're too narrow, football is congested, making passing a high risk activity.... Amongst other things
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

fc-red-bull-salzburg-jesse-marsch.gif
fc-red-bull-salzburg-jesse-marsch.gif (611.59 KiB) Viewed 442 times
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Cjay wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:05 pm fc-red-bull-salzburg-jesse-marsch.gif
Not sure what the point here is ...sorry
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:06 pm Not sure what the point here is ...sorry
Nothing

Just like the gif :)
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Ahh, curious as this wasn’t the obvious thread for it
1964white

Re: Newcastle United Thread

Post by 1964white »

Newcastle making the Premier League look easy as the move into the top 3.

3rd position
3rd highest scorers
1st conceded least goals
Even Chris Wood scored on Sunday

How come have Newcastle got four No.9's (three of them there before the takeover).

Wilson, Wood, Saint-Maximin, Isak

Are Leeds taking note?

BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

The Fish wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:47 am Yeah, I think the expectations were that we'd end up in the top half. However if we go into the January Window sitting in 4th, it might accelerate the plans a bit. If Howe keeps the team performing as they are, I can't see a reason to replace him. This is still a team playing with the likes of Longstaff, Schar, Burn, who will all need to be moved on at some point, and yet he's got them performing like a genuine top 4 side. It's remarkable.

Wondering what Newcastle supporters think of Weston McKennie. Looks like he is going to part ways with Juventus as early as the January window. He wants a move to the Premier League. I would love him at Leeds. But I'm not sure he is the best fit in Jesse Marsch's system. In my view both Liverpool and Newcastle could use some bite in midfield. He would be a huge upgrade over Longstaff for your side. And he plays the same position in a 4-3-3.
Football/Futbol/Soccer