Newcastle United Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
mentalcase

Re: Newcastle United Thread

Post by mentalcase »

Barlow Boy wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:41 pm Have to say I like Eddie Howe, I’d trust him with most players.

It’s a dream job, of course, taking over at the start of a big takeover with money to burn. I can see him being there for years and years, unless he takes the England job at some point.
EH has time on his side, lets see how(e) he copes with CL football and all that goes with it, I know my newcastle mates are very pleased with him thus far, who wouldn't be.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

mentalcase wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:46 pm EH has time on his side, lets see how(e) he copes with CL football and all that goes with it, I know my newcastle mates are very pleased with him thus far, who wouldn't be.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

mentalcase wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:56 pm If gordon is worth that, harrison is worth £50 million, that means our board will accept around £17 million.
Surely not :shock:
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

1964white wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:21 pm Surely not :shock:
Hope not myself.
Anyway, he appears to be back in favour, whether its a shop window attempt I know not, although I suspect not, as it's a bit late for that now, I realise we are building a squad , so, thats where he will fit in, on a regular basis I don't see him dislodging Gnonto or Sommerville on the wings, nor Sinisterra up front and he isn't good enough to hold down a central midfield role, maybe he could be converted to a LB role.
Again, only my opinion .
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

NUFC into a cup final. Presume the owners won't miss the chance to hang a few gay men while everyone is looking at replays of the goals.
The Fish
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by The Fish »

Ah well, I don't think it'll be another 20yrs before we're back at Wembley. Hopefully we'll have greater strength to pull from the bench than Jacob Murphy and Matt Ritchie.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

The Fish wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:50 pm Ah well, I don't think it'll be another 20yrs before we're back at Wembley. Hopefully we'll have greater strength to pull from the bench than Jacob Murphy and Matt Ritchie.
Had a natter with my mates yesterday, bitterly disappointed your team didn't show up on the day.
The expectations and build up, the weekend away was a let-down because of the performance.
I said like you just have, you will no doubt be challenging again shortly but with a better squad, the one bit of warning I gave was : a european campaign with a small squad next season and you just might struggle on both fronts.
Oddly enough sunday after the game I was chatting to a group of moanchester fans who obviouslt didn't go, they reckoned moan city , chelsea, liverpool , arsenal all bought their cups, only moan utd didn't, boy did we laugh and give em a mouthful.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Nothing likely to come of it but PIF have been caught out in a lie.

Having told the Premier league they weren't a government ran sovereign wealth fund they have admitted elsewhere that they are.

By rights that should be a breach of the Fit abd Proper test surely and see them immediately disqualified?
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Didn't Cellino fail a F&P test some time back and had to go through hoops to prove himself !!

I don't expect them to do anything remotely correct about newcastle, just like nothing is being done about Ivan Toney, unbelievable.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

I've read Toney has admitted his guilt and not admitted to others so it's still being investigated so I suspect he'll be given a long ban as and when but these things take time.

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

BGwhite wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:13 pm I've read Toney has admitted his guilt and not admitted to others so it's still being investigated so I suspect he'll be given a long ban as and when but these things take time.

Yes he has admitted his guilt, but still been allowed to play, can't help thinking if that were a LU player he would have been banned straight away.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I'd rather he finished the season. Brentford may have a big say in the relegation race and they're not the same team without him. They won't dock Brentford points and his goals so far will stand so a minimum season long ban for next season at least
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

mentalcase wrote: Yes he has admitted his guilt, but still been allowed to play, can't help thinking if that were a LU player he would have been banned straight away.
You're probably right MC. Double standards.

mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

faaip wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:28 pm I'd rather he finished the season. Brentford may have a big say in the relegation race and they're not the same team without him. They won't dock Brentford points and his goals so far will stand so a minimum season long ban for next season at least
He's admitted his guilt faiip, absolutely no reason why they cannot ban him with immediate effect now and take it through for all of next season as well.
Over 100 charges :oops:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

mentalcase wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:19 pm He's admitted his guilt faiip, absolutely no reason why they cannot ban him with immediate effect now and take it through for all of next season as well.
Over 100 charges :oops:
Because it could send Leeds down ..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

faaip wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:22 pm Because it could send Leeds down ..
Yea, I know where your'e coming from, but if that were a United player he would have been guilty when it first came outand not been able to play till after the hearing, they could deduct brentford all the points amassed when IT scored this season, they'd be in the mire themselves then.
Also, his goals are the main reason they're that far up the table.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Agreed but they can't negate his goals now. So best we can hope for as Leeds is he bangs them in versus our rivals. Without him they're a relegation team themselves and very beatable by our rivals.
The Fish
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by The Fish »

mentalcase wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:01 pm Had a natter with my mates yesterday, bitterly disappointed your team didn't show up on the day.
The expectations and build up, the weekend away was a let-down because of the performance.
I said like you just have, you will no doubt be challenging again shortly but with a better squad, the one bit of warning I gave was : a european campaign with a small squad next season and you just might struggle on both fronts.
Oddly enough sunday after the game I was chatting to a group of moanchester fans who obviouslt didn't go, they reckoned moan city , chelsea, liverpool , arsenal all bought their cups, only moan utd didn't, boy did we laugh and give em a mouthful.
I don't think it was a lack of effort by the lads. They were definitely up for it and were undone by a marginal offside call and a deflection that 9 times out of 10 ends up somewhere other than the back of the net.

We weren't robbed or owt, it's just that they were clinical with their chances where we weren't and they had a top class, in form 'keeper where we didn't. Their quality told, but that'll happen. Tell you what, I'd much rather have played that final with our early season form vs theirs.

Re: Europe, I think that's why a lot of our focus has been on signing younger players for the development squads. Kuol, Ashby, Diallo. they should be good enough to feature against opposition in the early stages of any competition we happen to end up in. There is a sense that this summer is the one where we'll flex a bit of our financial muscle. New commercial deals, new sponsors, and all that, suddenly our FFP envelope is expanded exponentially. We'll be in a position to pay bigger wages after getting shot of the likes of Shelvey, Fraser, Wood, Lascelles, and if we are in Europe we'll be in a position to attract better players without needing to pay over the odds to convince them to join a midtable side.
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

Situation at Newcastle is laughable and entirely predictable - so obvious the takeover was completely tied to the Saudi state and the PL deliberately ignored it.

Qataris now coming in to the prem aswell and the same situation will happen again.

Trouble with football is that other than the fans no one really cares about it. Those organisations who are supposed to are staffed with people more bothered about money and lining their own pockets than the game As we know it. These owners/countries want to build networks of clubs all over the world - FIFA, UEFA, EPL etc are happy to facilitate it even though it strips the soul from the game and risks handing the real power to those with questionable motivations
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

WhiteRose wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:34 pm Situation at Newcastle is laughable and entirely predictable - so obvious the takeover was completely tied to the Saudi state and the PL deliberately ignored it.

Qataris now coming in to the prem aswell and the same situation will happen again.

Trouble with football is that other than the fans no one really cares about it. Those organisations who are supposed to are staffed with people more bothered about money and lining their own pockets than the game As we know it. These owners/countries want to build networks of clubs all over the world - FIFA, UEFA, EPL etc are happy to facilitate it even though it strips the soul from the game and risks handing the real power to those with questionable motivations
I'm not even sure the fans care where the money comes from as long as it comes. I'd imagine Putin could buy a team, if allowed, and fans would find ways to justify his involvement if it meant a spending loads of money and winning trophies.