The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 12th October) - Adrian Durham beleives Phillips should have moved last summer

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 12th October) - Adrian Durham beleives Phillips should have moved last summer

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Tuesday 12th October, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Phillips should have moved club last Summer

talkSPORT presenter Adrian Durham believes that Kalvin Phillips England career could be in jeopardy unless he moves on to pastures new. The ginger whinger went on to say that Borussia Dortmund's Jude Bellingham has surpassed the Yorkshire Pirlo by way of quality, due to Champions League football and being surrounded by better players. According to the tubby wind up merchant...

I think Phillips is the fall guy. He’s done nothing wrong, but Bellingham is a better player. He’s proven it in the Champions League as well as a top league in Europe. The time for him to move on was this summer, as much as I’m a Leeds sympathiser. He had an incredible tournament. He’s done all he can at Leeds United. They’re not going to get better. Now there’s a big fuss ‘oh he can’t go to Manchester United’ and how it’s holding him back. He’s not 19 or 21 either, he’s not one of those youngsters.

Does Durham have a point?

Many believe Leeds took a massive backwards step last Summer by way of recruitment. Bielsa's boys were riding the crest of a wave, having finished ninth in the top flight, and expectations were high. They found themselves at a crossroads; take advantage of the situation and plug the gaps in the squad, or consolidate. Unfortunately, Radz chose the latter.

Whilst every Leeds fan is eternally grateful for what Andrea Radrizzani has accomplished at Elland Road during his short tenure, the opportunity to move to the next level has vanished (for now) and Leeds find themselves once again in the shop window of the rich and famous. Nobody wants to be put in the same situation we found ourselves in during the Ridsdale era, but with investors queueing at the door, it's safe to assume our predicament is far from dire.

Whilst Durham's comments can be taken with a pinch of salt, deep down, does he have a point about Phillips?

Leeds expecting all players to be vaccinated against Covid shortly

Every first team member of the Leeds Utd squad will soon be fully vaccinated against Covid, according to Leeds Utd journalist Phil Hay. The news comes after an article from Sky Sports reported that as many as 50% of top flight footballers have refused the jab. Leeds are one of the few clubs to buck the trend, with a 90% participation. Hay expects the two remaining players to immunised shortly.

Leeds are very close to 100 per cent take-up and expect to get there shortly. They have a very qualified head of medicine and performance in Rob Price who is clued-in about COVID-19 and the players trust him. Some senior squad members went first with the vaccine, which seemed to encourage others to follow. There’s been no “anti-vax” resistance as far as I can tell and there is a general willingness to be double-jabbed.

Raphinha 'head and shoulders above everyone'

In his latest mail bag, Phil Hay has labelled Raphinha as being the most influential player going forward at the club! It seems, the 24 yo Brazilian can do no wrong. On his International debut for Brazil, he came on as a second half substitute; and was credited with two assists, and was the contributing factor in their third, as the five time World Champions came from behind to beat Venezuela 3-1.

Phillips is the player whom Leeds miss most but, in an attacking sense, Raphinha is consistently head and shoulders above everyone. Even aside from his touch and his vision, he has the most incredible engine. When he’s not carrying an injury he looks like he could run all night. I cannot say for sure what his true value is but it’s miles above the £17 million paid for him. It is quite noticeable how frequently supporters of other clubs mention him after games against Leeds.

Will Leeds become overly reliant on Raphinha as the season progresses? Is there anyone in the squad, not pulling their weight?

Mountain
First Team
First Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 12th October) Phillips should have moved club last Summer

Post by Mountain »

That would mean Kane gone too, Rice, Pickford, Saka all out.

A nonsense point by Durham.

Good going on the vaccinations.
Eireleeds1
Youth Team
Youth Team
Twitter: @kevingaff

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 12th October) Phillips should have moved club last Summer

Post by Eireleeds1 »

Hard to say if we’ve progressed or gone back. On the showing so far this season we certainly haven’t progressed. Far too early to panic but we won’t be finishing higher than last season. I’d imagine next summer will be last chance for radz and Co to impress Philips and raphinha with their ambitions and plans. Durhams stuff about Philips though is pure rubbish. He was player of tournament while a Leeds player
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

So the fact that KP played in every game during the Euros almost every minute in fact wasnt improving him?
While Jude they retired my shirt number Bellingham came off the bench....to great effect iirc.

Perhaps A-drain should be advising Bellingham to come to England and play in a real league.

Deep down does he have a point? No CL gives the majority of clubs 6 games, while half of those players involved then miss their domestic fixtures due to tiredness , rotation etc.

Morning all.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

We have no need to sell, hopefully the players will be loyal and see this season out, behind the scenes I reckon the hierachy will have had meetings with all concerned, including Bielsa and the team and spoke about the speculation surrounding certain players, also with where the club intends to be in the future.
The pundits say what they want to gain reaction, it's their job to stir the pot, most are unqualified to talk about football anyway, having never played and only watched on telly.
Vaccination should be done now, not soon, no jab, no play.
Don't know where we'll finish, but as long as it's in the premier league it's ok, higher the better like, hopefully the recruitment team realise their mistakes of this season and address it asap.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 12th October) - Adrian Durham beleives Phillips should have moved last summer

Post by Chilli D »

Phillips should have left last summer? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.
What a bell end Durham is.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 12th October) - Adrian Durham beleives Phillips should have moved last summer

Post by Ratscoot »

Morning EB et all

Durham get back in your box, Kalvin may well leave next summer but it will be for big bucks and it won't be to the Scum.

Should we have improved the squad in the summer - Yes but then so should most of the other teams, unlike Arsenal who spent a fortune and went backwards :roflmao:

Are we over reliant on Raph...... possibly, do the other players need to step up, on the season so far 100% they do, are we in a dire situation nope with 3 points we are just below mid table.

Great news on all the players getting vaccinated :tup:
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Tell 'em Joey :clap:

1964white

Post by 1964white »

4 mins 32 secs into the clip on Phillips.

What a load of tosh Durham spews out!

I agree with him that Phil Foden should be an automatic pick for England, our best young attacking talent imo!

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ratscoot wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:20 am Morning EB et all

Durham get back in your box, Kalvin may well leave next summer but it will be for big bucks and it won't be to the Scum.

Should we have improved the squad in the summer - Yes but then so should most of the other teams, unlike Arsenal who spent a fortune and went backwards :roflmao:

Are we over reliant on Raph...... possibly, do the other players need to step up, on the season so far 100% they do, are we in a dire situation nope with 3 points we are just below mid table.

Great news on all the players getting vaccinated :tup:
Only Meslier, Phillips & Raphinha consistently showing their quality so far!

Llorente will also perform on a constant high level too as long as he remains fit.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

At least Bielsa & his boys are showing consideration & discipline on the vaccine issue.

I wouldn't expect anything less from Marcelo, Kalvin, Stuart, Luke, Liam & the rest of our level-headed squad.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Eireleeds1
Youth Team
Youth Team
Twitter: @kevingaff

Post by Eireleeds1 »

1964white wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:59 am At least Bielsa & his boys are showing consideration & discipline on the vaccine issue.

I wouldn't expect anything less from Marcelo, Kalvin, Stuart, Luke, Liam & the rest of our level-headed squad.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Great point. Wonder how many of that lovely derby squad have had it. Probably 10%
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

TBF Bellingham should be starting ...Rice/Phillips/Bellingham should be the starting centre mid 3 ...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

I don’t know how he can say Leeds are not going to get better, we certainly won’t if we sell our best players. We haven’t started well that’s for sure but that means we have scope to get better, if we were playing really well and not getting results then he might have a point. It’s tough especially with a small squad at the start of the season with all these international breaks to get a rhythm going, still got another one aswell, back for just 4 games before stopped again.
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

I just hate it when know-it-all’s think the best players can only play for the biggest (read richest) clubs in order to reach their potential. This isn’t my best thought out argument but for me it’s a load of bo::ocks.

If I had Swannie’s feathers right now they’d be proper ruffled.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Orange Box wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:04 am I just hate it when know-it-all’s think the best players can only play for the biggest (read richest) clubs in order to reach their potential. This isn’t my best thought out argument but for me it’s a load of bo::ocks.

If I had Swannie’s feathers right now they’d be proper ruffled.
Indeed.
Alan Shearer, the PL all time record scorer never played for any of the so called Big 6.
Nor did Matt Le Tissier, Gary Speed and other great players.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Durham always has, and always will, talk complete bollocks. We might lose Kalvin at some point, but it won't be because Jude Bellingham has overtaken him in the pecking order. To think, that tw*t gets paid to spout this sh*te.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Just goes to show that Adrian Durham is a proper cockbreath
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Durham's job is literally to wind up football fans ... It's basic debate philosophy.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Durham has certainly wound us up :lol: