The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 16th November) Young Whites defeat Mansfield Town in League Cup match

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 16th November) Young Whites defeat Mansfield Town in League Cup match

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Tuesday 16th November, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road

Young Whites defeat Mansfield Town in League Cup match

The young Whites recorded their first win in the Premier League Cup last night at the hands of Mansfield Town U23's at York City's LNER Community Stadium. Mark Jackson named 15-year-old Archie Gray (father to Andy, Grandfather to Frank, and obviously we can't forget Uncle Eddie) and 16-year-old James Debayo in the starting line up, and they didn't disappoint!

Leeds needed a victory, having suffered losses at the hands of Wigan U23's and Sunderland U23's. Sean McGurk broke the deadlock seven minutes into the second half. Hughes (on the right wing) centred the ball to Dean on the edge of the area. His scuffed shot rolled nicely into the path of the former Wigan teenager. He managed to ride the challenge of a defender and squeeze the ball under the despairing dive of on loan keeper George Shelvey.

McGurk turned provider for Leeds second. His cross fell nicely for Max Dean who chested the ball, before thumping a first time volley into the roof of the net. Mansfield scored a late equaliser three minutes from time, but the young Whites held on for a well-deserved win.

With Bamford still sidelined, what are Leeds chances on Sunday?

The Whites travel to North London on Sunday hoping to build on their three game unbeaten league run, but what are their chances? Leeds trips to the Capital rarely end well, and with Harry Kane finding the back of the net seven times in two games for England, will the Leeds defence manage to keep him quiet?

On the injury front, Firpo is nearing a comeback. Only this morning, he posted a cryptic one-word message to the Leeds Utd faithful simply saying 'Soon'. Unfortunately, it looks like Bamford may not return until next month according to Danny Mills!

You start to wonder, do they know the root of the problem? “What is the issue? What is the reason for him breaking down? We know how intense the way Bielsa plays. We know the fitness level that he will insist his players are at to come back into the team.
When you’ve been out for that long, it is going to take him a little while even when he’s started training, to get back up to speed and get back up to what Bielsa wants. If the injury keeps going wrong, if you come back too soon, even if it’s just a few days you may just tweak it. That delays it by another week. Sometimes the longer it goes on, the more you try to force it. Injuries are a very delicate balance and he could be out until December now.

Don't wait until the Summer

Leeds journalist Phil Hay has suggested that Leeds should sign a new midfielder in the January transfer window, not wait until next Summer, when he expects an influx of new players. He also disclosed that Bielsa has a soft spot for Reading playmaker John Swift.

Picking up a bargain can be difficult enough, let alone during such a small window of opportunity. Even if Messts Orta and Bielsa were to agree on a signature, that's only part of the job done. They would need to get fit; not just match fit - but Bielsa fit!

I can definitely see the value in signing a centre mid in the window, partly to help this season but partly to create one less job for the summer window (which will be far more active). They were clearly very keen on O’Brien but I don’t know if I see Huddersfield lowering his value (particularly with him on a new contract). Was interesting to see John Swift linked over the weekend because Swift is someone Bielsa quietly admires

Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 16th November) Young Whites defeat Mansfield Town in League Cup match

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Good win for the under 23s especially when we had a 16 year old and a 15 year old playing! The 15 year old being son of Andy, grandson of Frank and great nephew of Eddie - quite some pedigree there.

I’m not expecting a result against Tottenham not particularly because they are any good but because the game is in London - enough said!

I know it won’t happen but if Bamford is still out why not give Gelhardt a start?
Tozzy
Ballboy
Ballboy
Twitter: @Tozzy30055611

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 16th November) Young Whites defeat Mansfield Town in League Cup match

Post by Tozzy »

With regards to Gelhardt, i think many fans agree with you. However we know Bielsa is very protective of our younger players and won't be swayed by opinion. As Joe Donnohue mentioned yesterday in his article regarding Nketiah, Joffy is now pushing for 3rd place in the pecking order and with Rodrigo's recent performances for both us and his country, I would assume he will continue to be first choice cover for Bamford at the moment. The club seem to prefer a more mature and experienced X1 and the policy of not pushing our younger players until Bielsa says they are ready is his tried and proven method.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Tozzy wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:35 am With regards to Gelhardt, i think many fans agree with you. However we know Bielsa is very protective of our younger players and won't be swayed by opinion. As Joe Donnohue mentioned yesterday in his article regarding Nketiah, Joffy is now pushing for 3rd place in the pecking order and with Rodrigo's recent performances for both us and his country, I would assume he will continue to be first choice cover for Bamford at the moment. The club seem to prefer a more mature and experienced X1 and the policy of not pushing our younger players until Bielsa says they are ready is his tried and proven method.
Welcome to the forum Tozzy!!!

Interesting that you think its Bielsa being protective! In my opinion Bielsa doesn't like change, and prefers to put faith in his old guard.

It will be interesting to see which of his favourites survive the Summer and are still first teamers next term?
Tozzy
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Tozzy »

Hi. The point i was tring to make was that his philosophy is that the younger players earn the right to progress and indeed they do. This is something he has said many times, but equally he also doesnt expect too much too soon.

“It’s not about putting in players that are young, it’s about playing them because they deserve to play over those players who play more regularly or that they can take advantage of absences by showing they have the level required.”

This of course was said a while ago and now we have the likes of Struijk and Shackleton making regular appearances. More recently Drameh. Perhaps his reluctance to start Gelhardt regularly is related to Rodrigo's progress and he is looking at the longer term rather than the immediate?
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Tozzy wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:35 am With regards to Gelhardt, i think many fans agree with you. However we know Bielsa is very protective of our younger players and won't be swayed by opinion. As Joe Donnohue mentioned yesterday in his article regarding Nketiah, Joffy is now pushing for 3rd place in the pecking order and with Rodrigo's recent performances for both us and his country, I would assume he will continue to be first choice cover for Bamford at the moment. The club seem to prefer a more mature and experienced X1 and the policy of not pushing our younger players until Bielsa says they are ready is his tried and proven method.
Welcome to MOT, Tozzy :tup:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:58 am I’m not expecting a result against Tottenham not particularly because they are any good but because the game is in London - enough said!
Plus, Harry Kane has decided to finally turn up this season.

With Conte in charge too, it seems we always play teams at the wrong time :(
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Tozzy wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:44 am Hi. The point i was tring to make was that his philosophy is that the younger players earn the right to progress and indeed they do. This is something he has said many times, but equally he also doesnt expect too much too soon.

“It’s not about putting in players that are young, it’s about playing them because they deserve to play over those players who play more regularly or that they can take advantage of absences by showing they have the level required.”

This of course was said a while ago and now we have the likes of Struijk and Shackleton making regular appearances. More recently Drameh. Perhaps his reluctance to start Gelhardt regularly is related to Rodrigo's progress and he is looking at the longer term rather than the immediate?
I do worry about whether the youth are getting the chances they deserve.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Tozzy wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:44 am Hi. The point i was tring to make was that his philosophy is that the younger players earn the right to progress and indeed they do. This is something he has said many times, but equally he also doesnt expect too much too soon.

Common sense thinking, deserves a like
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Welcome to the forum :)
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Lot of chat about Archie Gray (dont want to put to much pressure on him).

Good prospect.

Spurs havent had a shot on target since Queen Victoria was on the throne, sods law dictates Mes will be under siege.

I dont think Bamford would make much difference, he isnt a prolific goalscorer and generally creativity has been the issue not wastefulness (although it was an issue last match).

We need more from Harrison, James, Rodrigo and whoever starts in the box to box midfield role (Forshaw probably).

Its all very well being tidy on the ball but he needs to contribute more meaningfully.

I hope we get a cm in January and its early doors and we arent messing about till the end.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Never rated Kane, turning circle of an oil tanker, short area pace of a tortoise... flat track bully. That said he is strong and I'm not sure we have the marker for him. Might suit Cooper over Llorente ..

Son is who worries me ...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

faaip wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:03 pm Never rated Kane, turning circle of an oil tanker, short area pace of a tortoise... flat track bully. That said he is strong and I'm not sure we have the marker for him. Might suit Cooper over Llorente ..

Son is who worries me ...
Slightly unfair on Kane methinks. He gives the impression of being all those things you mention but he has something more than than most other current strikers, something intangible - a presence if you like and he certainly knows where the back of the net is.

7 goals in 2 internationals is pretty impressive by anybody’s standards. Ok 2 were penalties and they were only against San Marino and Albania but nonetheless I must admit I have a grudging respect for him. Him and Son together do make a formidable pairing.
VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by VinnysTattoo »

Going to be a tough one. With Conte in charge I think chances will be at a minimum and we need to do what we haven’t done so far this season and convert more of our opportunities.

John Swift in January please.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:17 pm Slightly unfair on Kane methinks. He gives the impression of being all those things you mention but he has something more than than most other current strikers, something intangible - a presence if you like and he certainly knows where the back of the net is.

7 goals in 2 internationals is pretty impressive by anybody’s standards. Ok 2 were penalties and they were only against San Marino and Albania but nonetheless I must admit I have a grudging respect for him. Him and Son together do make a formidable pairing.
Aye I know most rate him ... I just never have..
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

Youngsters:
Fabulous result given the age and experience of some of these lads. Watched the highlights on Youtube and Max Dean is continuing is rapid progress this season and is some talent. Plaudits also to 1) Archie Gray who is very rapid, just like Eddie was. He's also got some height to him and looks to already have some physical strength to him. 2) Christy in goal who made several very good saves.

Spurs/Bamford:
Probably right to continue with Rodrigo, but I would definitely like to have a look at Gelhardt, especially up against Eric Dier. Also, Kane seems to get a lot of pelters but I think he's a very deceiving striker who has a bit more pace than it seems, and is hard to budge off the ball, brings others into play, and is deadly with left foot, right foot, and head. He will give our defence a torrid time, and I'd like to see Llorente man-to-man on him as I think Cooper with his shirt tugging is going to give away a lot on Kane.

Swift:
Not seen much of him play but gets rated a lot. As the usual cliche goes, if Bielsa rates him then it's good enough for me. What is a definite, is we need a box-to-box midfielder this January, and if Swift s good value then why not.
Tozzy
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Tozzy »

Hi all.
I just wanted to say Thanks for the various welcomes I recieved today.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Tozzy wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:47 pm Hi all.
I just wanted to say Thanks for the various welcomes I recieved today.
You're welcome Tozzy, good to have you on board :tup: