Summer 2022 transfer speculation and squad discussion

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Summer 2022 transfer speculation and squad discussion

Post by John in Louisiana »

foxy wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:38 pm isn't dan James sufficient as a quick headless chicken?
:lol: :lol:
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Rover wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:08 pm Apparently we are interested in Adama Traore; does anybody think, other than Orta, he is a decent signing?
No. Not me
Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Post by Scoobychief »

sick of hearing about the traore link, my guess is if we dont get the so called targets Marsh wants then i have a feeling last minute job we will end up with traore, the trouble with traore is thats its anothe dan james job, yes he is pacey yes he has strenght but thats where it end, he has no finishing skills whatsoever.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Traore would be a serious backwards step. Fast and powerful but feck all end product. No no no!!!

Speaking to a Spurs supporting work colleague earlier, don't think there's anything to the Winks rumour as the talk there is him being used as a makeweight in a deal to get Richarlison to the Spuds
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

lufc1304 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:42 pm Traore would be a serious backwards step. Fast and powerful but feck all end product. No no no!!!
Leeds Rhinos would be a more suitable move for Traore.
CanuckMightyWhite
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by CanuckMightyWhite »

Am sure we will land one of CDK, Gakpo, Otavio, Lang so Adama is sufficiently lower on the list for us not to be worried. underwhelming
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

1964white wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:47 pm Leeds Rhinos would be a more suitable move for Traore.
:clap: :roflmao:
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Massive week ahead imo.

Everyone back for Pre Season next week.

We leave for Australia in 2 weeks where realistically because of the amount of change and need to adapt to a new style we need new signings there.

For me it would be a disaster not to have the bulk of our squad for next season on that tour.

We need movement on incoming incoming outgoings by Friday imo.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Don't like that we haven't got replacements in before selling.

We seemingly haven't got replacements close either.

So that fir me is bad planning.

Couldn't we afford to line up deals for replacements before selling? Very probably.

But now teams know we are desperate and newly minted (soon)

It's not a great plan lads.
Signed

King Cjay

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

It's an organic process so not worried we don't have replacements already in place though Roca for Kalvin may work down the line, different players but playing in a similar position.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:35 am Don't like that we haven't got replacements in before selling.

We seemingly haven't got replacements close either.

So that fir me is bad planning.

Couldn't we afford to line up deals for replacements before selling? Very probably.

But now teams know we are desperate and newly minted (soon)

It's not a great plan lads.
Equally though you could get replacements in before selling. We did that when we bought Seth Johnson to replace Olivier Dacourt. The trouble was that Dacourt didn't want to go to Lazio (due to a racist element of their fans) and he stayed. As such we'd spent £8m+ on a replacement for a player that didn't end up leaving (and as such didn't get the £15m we were presumably banking on).

I imagine we have made offers for players or certainly been in negotiations and are now simply waiting for the KP and Raphinha money to hit our bank before we make our signings.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:11 am Massive week ahead imo.

Everyone back for Pre Season next week.

We leave for Australia in 2 weeks where realistically because of the amount of change and need to adapt to a new style we need new signings there.

For me it would be a disaster not to have the bulk of our squad for next season on that tour.

We need movement on incoming incoming outgoings by Friday imo.
We are talking Leeds here, Cjay :roll:
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:29 pm Equally though you could get replacements in before selling. We did that when we bought Seth Johnson to replace Olivier Dacourt. The trouble was that Dacourt didn't want to go to Lazio (due to a racist element of their fans) and he stayed. As such we'd spent £8m+ on a replacement for a player that didn't end up leaving (and as such didn't get the £15m we were presumably banking on).

I imagine we have made offers for players or certainly been in negotiations and are now simply waiting for the KP and Raphinha money to hit our bank before we make our signings.
We all knew KP and Raph were going weeks if not months ago.

Lucy Ward whose known KP since he was a kid said she knew weeks ago so the club knew to.

They should have been further down the line with players imo.

Now the world knows we have £90mil+ to spend and we are in need of players.

So that extra desperation tax goes on.

If we manage to get for example Cody Gakpo, Charles De Ketelaere and Mohamed Camara (although I have a horrible feeling Brightom will get him) I'm by this time next week then atleast they can come on.the tour.

Failing to get the players in for Australia would be a disaster imo.

I strongly suspect the funds simply weren't there hence why we are taking the very off step and unusual request of demanding large fees up front.

I don't like that that suggests a cash flow problem either.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:44 pm We are talking Leeds here, Cjay :roll:
I know Leon.

Forward planning isn't our best quality.

I hope for a "BREAKING LEEDS AGREE FEE FOR . . . " story from Phil Hay or someone else at The Athletic this evening
Signed

King Cjay

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:33 pm We all knew KP and Raph were going weeks if not months ago.

Lucy Ward whose known KP since he was a kid said she knew weeks ago so the club knew to.

They should have been further down the line with players imo.
But we don't know how far down the line we are with further incoming players and at this point KP and Raphinha are still here. For all we know KP may fail his medical and th emove collapses, same for Raphinhs.

At this point I would say the club has bought in players where we needed strengthening (rather than overloading the squad) and once KP and Raphinha leave then they will no doubt fill those holes.

If either deal falls through then what bargaining power have we got when trying to sell them if the replacement is already at the club? We'd then either have to keep KP or Raphinha and their replacement(s) or try to sell KP/Raph with the buying club worried as to why they failed a medical and knowing we are desperate to sell. The other alternative is to have £20m or £30m players (those signed to replace KP/ Raph) sat on the bench.
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

Something tells me that Jesse is not overly desperate for players. One advantage of him coming in with 12 matches remaining last season is that he has a very clear understanding of the current players and how they might fit in with his system. He has already brought in specific need players in Aaronson, Kristensen, and Rocha. It may be that current squad members take on a more prominent or different role this season. For example maybe JM see's Robin Koch as a DM to play alongside Rocha. And maybe a couple of the kids like Joe Gelhardt become full time first team players. And in the case of Joffy maybe right into the starting eleven.

Just thinking out loud here. But I think they can be a bit patient with the next signings.
Football/Futbol/Soccer
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

I would go find an established starting Keeper. Meslier is not ready for the Premier League in my view...
Football/Futbol/Soccer
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:28 pm Something tells me that Jesse is not overly desperate for players. One advantage of him coming in with 12 matches remaining last season is that he has a very clear understanding of the current players and how they might fit in with his system. He has already brought in specific need players in Aaronson, Kristensen, and Rocha. It may be that current squad members take on a more prominent or different role this season. For example maybe JM see's Robin Koch as a DM to play alongside Rocha. And maybe a couple of the kids like Joe Gelhardt become full time first team players. And in the case of Joffy maybe right into the starting eleven.

Just thinking out loud here. But I think they can be a bit patient with the next signings.
Koch's positioning and instincts while playing DMF last season are maybe the worst I've seen, play just passed him by. He needs a lot of work if he's to play there for us, I'd say Bate is further along atm if a little lightweight, pascal might be too
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

faaip wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:08 pm Koch's positioning and instincts while playing DMF last season are maybe the worst I've seen, play just passed him by. He needs a lot of work if he's to play there for us, I'd say Bate is further along atm if a little lightweight, pascal might be too
I don't disagree with any of this Faaip. But JM has a track record of helping to develop D Mids. Both Tyler Adams and Mohamed Camara worked under Jesse. So pure speculation on my part but maybe he sees something in Koch, Struijk, or Bate that he feels confident he can develop. Personally, I think Struijk will be the starting left center back over Cooper this season.
Football/Futbol/Soccer
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:47 pm I don't disagree with any of this Faaip. But JM has a track record of helping to develop D Mids. Both Tyler Adams and Mohamed Camara worked under Jesse. So pure speculation on my part but maybe he sees something in Koch, Struijk, or Bate that he feels confident he can develop. Personally, I think Struijk will be the starting left center back over Cooper this season.
You'd know that better than I but can we afford to have him learn in game.... I posted elsewhere that Ayling coud aslo play the DMF given coaching and time but unsure I'd want to start the season with either there. Ayling has defensive instincts, pace, strength, very good on the ball and can tackle. The hard part is understanding the positioning,

I think Struijk is the best DMF at the club atm, not sure he's seen that way by the manager though.. I think he would have been MB's guy for the job eventually.