Mods !

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
velo
Manager
Manager

Mods !

Post by velo »

Lets have an open debate on them, please !
Ok I got banned for saying what everyone was thinking re smudge.....
But I've kept quiet since rejoining..............
But it seams to me certain posters get more lee way than others
Mental posted a joke that 2 people objected to, and it was locked...................ok it was a tad racist, but not as rascist as the the majority of Muslims living on our benefits.....but that's ok ?
This is not a political forum, it's about the Club we love, but I feel some Mods are power mad

Discuss please, I will not post on this again, just observe, if a mod feels this is Inappropriate, then perhaps they should not be a mod on an open forum?
Stop worryin' about what people say, when it ain't gonna stop them anyway.

Hater of Liars, Cheats and Trolls

Freedom of speech is not allowed if it upsets the mods
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Mods !

Post by Chilli D »

Velo, the mods do a great job on here and if you're not happy with how they run things I suggest you go elsewhere.
At least we have an early contender for the most ridiculous post of 2022.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

The thread was closed because of the ensuing conflict between two posters, and we did not wish it to descend any further. That is part of the job of a mod, nipping things in the bud before they get out of control.

As for the joke, it was a tad racist, a tired trope which some may find offensive. This is a welcoming place and I’m not sure it sets a good impression to prospective new members.
Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Post by Clacton White »

I didn't like mods much in the late 70's .....but I was ( still am really) a punk.
Oh you mean moderators 😁..............well , someone has to or you end up with Squareball, and that's not nice .
Saying that though , they have moderators and they outed the decent people and let the vile one's stay.
whiteroseboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by whiteroseboy »

Not been on this forum as long as many on here but can't say I've seen any bias towards some posters, all seems fair to me.

I think Mods have a difficult job and will always upset some people when they push the boundaries so will always questioned by some especially when they don't get their own way.

For me the Mods play a very important part in the quality of any forum. I doubt any of us want to see debates that go around in circles, lots of unnecessary abuse, constant flow of Wum posts, etc.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Morning ladies & gentlemen.
I respect the mods and everyone else on this forum, I simply (in mind anyway) posted a joke, a joke I thought was acceptable, it is in my circles, I do however accept not every walk of life would like it, same with any joke really.
I am no racist, one of my best friends is coloured, another is muslim, both enjoyed and passed on that particular 'joke' not saying its PC these days, but it was meant with no bad connotations, not to stir anything up on a football forum, one I enjoy.
I've also worked with and trained many muslims the world over and had no problem, I didn't get upset years ago when Jimmy Carr said after the many soldiers losing limbs in Afghanistan 'at least we Brits should come back with plenty medals at the Para-olympics' it helped me ,and my friends along, we didn't cry foul, we accepted it as 'black humour' I don't suppose we all laugh at the same things, nor have the same sense of humour.
Was I being 'scouse-cist' at my second attempt at humour or was that acceptable ?
Maybe I ought to stay away from trying to raise a few giggles and leave it to the unfunny lefties whom deem the rest of the world racist !!
Anyway, the mods have a thankless task to do, I know, I've been one on another LU forum many years ago, the different times day & night trolls put things on is unbelieveable, keep up the good work.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
liggy
First Team
First Team

Post by liggy »

I know i once got a parking ticket on here :roll:

All I said was no surrender to the IRA or summat like that :duno:

There is no problem on this site with any of the mods
You just seem to want to start one.
liggy
First Team
First Team

Post by liggy »

Having said that big heck
Is like Norman Wisdom putting a deckchair up
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

I don't think the 'bias' is towards particular people so much as towards particular opinions and behaviours. You can have a steady drip feed of low level misogyny, racism and bullying, but one comment raised in objection sees threads locked and posters banned. It creates a stifling atmosphere in the name of being 'friendly', where someone like Smudge can thrive whilst several decent posters are driven from the forum.

No one wants to see continual arguments and conflicts, but a forum where you can't speak your mind freely isn't really a 'forum' at all. I don't think the balance is right, personally.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

SaraM wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:53 am I don't think the 'bias' is towards particular people so much as towards particular opinions and behaviours. You can have a steady drip feed of low level misogyny, racism and bullying, but one comment raised in objection sees threads locked and posters banned. It creates a stifling atmosphere in the name of being 'friendly', where someone like Smudge can thrive whilst several decent posters are driven from the forum.

No one wants to see continual arguments and conflicts, but a forum where you can't speak your mind freely isn't really a 'forum' at all. I don't think the balance is right, personally.
I've typed out and deleted several responses for this thread but this is how I wish I'd phrased it ...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

faaip wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:05 am I've typed out and deleted several responses for this thread but this is how I wish I'd phrased it ...
:tup:
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

"judge, jury & executioner"
Or simply don't want things to escalate again because someone you like posted something that could be misinterpreted like what I posted yesterday !!
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

mentalcase wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:58 am Morning ladies & gentlemen.
I respect the mods and everyone else on this forum, I simply (in mind anyway) posted a joke, a joke I thought was acceptable, it is in my circles, I do however accept not every walk of life would like it, same with any joke really.
I am no racist, one of my best friends is coloured, another is muslim, both enjoyed and passed on that particular 'joke' not saying its PC these days, but it was meant with no bad connotations, not to stir anything up on a football forum, one I enjoy.
I've also worked with and trained many muslims the world over and had no problem, I didn't get upset years ago when Jimmy Carr said after the many soldiers losing limbs in Afghanistan 'at least we Brits should come back with plenty medals at the Para-olympics' it helped me ,and my friends along, we didn't cry foul, we accepted it as 'black humour' I don't suppose we all laugh at the same things, nor have the same sense of humour.
Was I being 'scouse-cist' at my second attempt at humour or was that acceptable ?
Maybe I ought to stay away from trying to raise a few giggles and leave it to the unfunny lefties whom deem the rest of the world racist !!
Anyway, the mods have a thankless task to do, I know, I've been one on another LU forum many years ago, the different times day & night trolls put things on is unbelieveable, keep up the good work.
I think the key with anything that can be deemed offensive is to know your audience. For example the Jimmy Carr joke was said in front of an audience that would be expecting jokes in poor taste, jokes to shock etc. Same as a joke that I might tell amongst some of my friends I wouldn't tell to everyone I know. As such 'casual' racism has no place on a public forum and the outright racism in the first post on this thread has no place in society.

The mods in general do an excellent job.
Broad Ford
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Broad Ford »

Locking threads stifles open debate and the free exchanging of ideas when comments stray beyond democratic boundaries.

Surely these boundaries are the legal implications, which are the responsibility of the poster. Wouldn't it be better for this forum to have a solicitor as a mod that advises posters of the implications of what they type? In mental cases 'arrested' post I believe that the law doesn't prosecute an individual using satire. Having said that special interest groups here in Britain would still rather persue an individual because of his/her use of satire, hunting them down like a witch from the middle ages.
If you don't know where you are going, every road will get you nowhere.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

What is legally acceptable and what would offend other posters and prevent new posters from joining are two entirely different things
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

I demand anybody disagreeing with me should be stripped naked and strapped to a table and tickled to death with a feather boa.

Sent from my SM-T515 using Tapatalk

Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

By definition, people who post on open forums tend to be self-opinionated and argumentative, or fond of debating if you will.

The mods are charged with maintaining a balance in the best interests of all, and with precious little thanks devote endless hours of their own time to keeping the forum within the boundaries of acceptability as they see it.

That will not suit everyone, but for what it's worth I think they do a very good job. If posts/posters are pulled up, it's usually because there's potential offence in the material that might cause wider disharmony - as Chilli says, the poster then has the right to take his/her opinions elsewhere if he/she takes umbrage. In the end this is a football forum.

I'd rather see dubious material deleted at an early stage rather than be ignored and become the thin end of the wedge, and see standards slide like on many other forums.

One mod on here singlehandedly carries the place day to day when things are slow. A little appreciation would me more in order than dishing out grief.
velo
Manager
Manager

Post by velo »

And no one got the irony of my post ?
Stop worryin' about what people say, when it ain't gonna stop them anyway.

Hater of Liars, Cheats and Trolls

Freedom of speech is not allowed if it upsets the mods
Boo Radley
First Team
First Team

Post by Boo Radley »

Carrick Dave wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:12 pm By definition, people who post on open forums tend to be self-opinionated and argumentative, or fond of debating if you will.

The mods are charged with maintaining a balance in the best interests of all, and with precious little thanks devote endless hours of their own time to keeping the forum within the boundaries of acceptability as they see it.

That will not suit everyone, but for what it's worth I think they do a very good job. If posts/posters are pulled up, it's usually because there's potential offence in the material that might cause wider disharmony - as Chilli says, the poster then has the right to take his/her opinions elsewhere if he/she takes umbrage. In the end this is a football forum.

I'd rather see dubious material deleted at an early stage rather than be ignored and become the thin end of the wedge, and see standards slide like on many other forums.

One mod on here singlehandedly carries the place day to day when things are slow. A little appreciation would me more in order than dishing out grief.
Spot on Dave, well said 👍