Elbow

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Elbow

Post by whiteswan »

1964white wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:21 pm Certainly is Swannie, absolutely gorgeous 8-)

How anyone can dismiss it is beyond me? I suppose if you're into crash, bang, wallop music, Elbow would appear dreary to some :(

That's two decent unheard bands I've recommended to you :-D
You deserve a medal :)
:gold:
hector

Post by hector »

whiteswan wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:50 pm You deserve a medal :)
:gold:
He needs a chest to pin it on first.... :P :P

:) :)
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

hector wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:16 pm He needs a chest to pin it on first.... :P :P

Cheeky!
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

hector wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:16 pm He needs a chest to pin it on first.... :P :P

:rol: :rol:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Why is it Elbow albums grow on me?

For some music lovers, their music would sound ordinary & dull. After a few listens, Elbow songs stir your emotions like an arrow through one's heart

Loving Flying Dream 1

1964white

Post by 1964white »

I maybe in a minority here as I feel Elbow have become better & better with a couple of dips since their early albums in the noughties.

Every song is a grower with a rating of 5/5 with the exception of 'Six Words' which is a 10/5, a beautiful touching piece of work. Song of 2021 imo!

FLYING DREAM 1 is MASTERFUL, RESTRAINED AND WHOLLY ABSORBING

"The sedate pace never starts to feels pedestrian, though. Six Words climbs from a heavenly cycling piano part and Garvey’s images of “weary kids in bottle green” to become an anthem of heart-cleaving devotion. The handsome, moreish little riff that joins Garvey as he pours out the epiphany “I know the view from on top of the world, Now I know your songbird soul” is joyous"

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Track Listing

(favourite songs highlighted)

1. Flying Dream 1

2. After the Eclipse

3. Is It a Bird

4. Six Words

5. Calm and Happy

6. Come On, Blue

7. The Only Road

8. Red Sky Radio (Baby Baby Baby)

9. The Seldom Seen Kid

10. What Am I Without You

In 'Flying Dream 1' and 'The Take Off and Landing of Everything' Elbow have recorded two of the finest albums over the last ten years
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Johnboy1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Johnboy1965 »

1964white wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:08 pm I maybe in a minority here as I feel Elbow have become better & better with a couple of dips since their early albums in the noughties.

Every song is a grower with a rating of 5/5 with the exception of 'Six Words' which is a 10/5, a beautiful touching piece of work. Song of 2021 imo!

FLYING DREAM 1 is MASTERFUL, RESTRAINED AND WHOLLY ABSORBING

"The sedate pace never starts to feels pedestrian, though. Six Words climbs from a heavenly cycling piano part and Garvey’s images of “weary kids in bottle green” to become an anthem of heart-cleaving devotion. The handsome, moreish little riff that joins Garvey as he pours out the epiphany “I know the view from on top of the world, Now I know your songbird soul” is joyous"

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Track Listing

(favourite songs highlighted)

1. Flying Dream 1

2. After the Eclipse

3. Is It a Bird

4. Six Words

5. Calm and Happy

6. Come On, Blue

7. The Only Road

8. Red Sky Radio (Baby Baby Baby)

9. The Seldom Seen Kid

10. What Am I Without You

In 'Flying Dream 1' and 'The Take Off and Landing of Everything' Elbow have recorded two of the finest albums over the last ten years
Hard to disagree with any of that Leon, but as you know I'm a big fan anyway :)
As you say a couple of recent disappointing albums in Little Fictions and Giants of all Sizes but back to their best with FD1

It's very mellow but there is a depth of feeling to all of the songs that Guy puts across magnificently coupled with the beautiful way in which the songs are arranged.
Some of the piano lines are simply gorgeous.

My favourite album of last year by some distance.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Johnboy1965 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:59 pm Hard to disagree with any of that Leon, but as you know I'm a big fan anyway :)
As you say a couple of recent disappointing albums in Little Fictions and Giants of all Sizes but back to their best with FD1

It's very mellow but there is a depth of feeling to all of the songs that Guy puts across magnificently coupled with the beautiful way in which the songs are arranged.
Some of the piano lines are simply gorgeous.

My favourite album of last year by some distance.
So do you rate 'Flying Dream 1' higher than your initial 7/10 rating after several listens, Johnboy?
Unbelievable Jeff
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Unbelievable Jeff »

Haha i remember the nudist beach at fraisthorpe! We stumbled upon it when walking down from Barmston where we used to holiday back in the day....
Ha ha charade you are....
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Unbelievable Jeff wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:09 pm Haha i remember the nudist beach at fraisthorpe! We stumbled upon it when walking down from Barmston where we used to holiday back in the day....
Blimey I didn't know Fraisthorpe had a nudist beach, Jeff :shock:
Johnboy1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Johnboy1965 »

1964white wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:30 pm So do you rate 'Flying Dream 1' higher than your initial 7/10 rating after several listens, Johnboy?
Absolutely :)
It's definitely a grower and I'd give it a solid 8.5 but it may increase the more I listen :tup:

If you have all the albums we'll have to rate them all worst to best
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Johnboy1965 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:47 pm Absolutely :)
It's definitely a grower and I'd give it a solid 8.5 but it may increase the more I listen :tup:

If you have all the albums we'll have to rate them all worst to best
Good idea, I don't mind listening to all the Elbow albums again. :tup:

They have lifted my mood & spirit after the last few traumatic weeks.

Just goes to show, you can't judge an album after a couple of listens. Flying Dream just gets better & better with every listen.

I love it when albums grow on you.
Unbelievable Jeff
Youth Team
Youth Team

You might like listening to 'Embrace', very similar structured songs beautifully arranged and produced....
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Unbelievable Jeff wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:44 pm You might like listening to 'Embrace', very similar structured songs beautifully arranged and produced....
Have a couple of their albums Jeff, haven't listened to Embrace in a long time.
Unbelievable Jeff
Youth Team
Youth Team

I'm sure i saw one of the Macnamara brothers in the white rose centre not long ago, i daren't approach him in case i was wrong so i left it. My wife met the drummer at a wedding reception last summer. I think they're all from the Halifax area.
Johnboy1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Johnboy1965 »

Yeah from Brighouse I think.
One of my friends from Mirfield was friends with Mike Heaton the drummer.
Got a few of their albums though a bit hit and miss for me.
Still preferred the Good Will Out to the later stuff.
Good band though 👌