Rodrigo Moreno- Joins Al-Rayyan confirmed

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Rodrigo Moreno- Joins Al-Rayyan confirmed

Post by Cjay »

The first of the big rumours.

Few Spanish sources have checked up on this and while its not advanced it is a genuine link.

Marca report that Valencia would take £22mil for the 29 year old Spanish attacker and that a move to us would interest him.

We apparently would be able to afford his wages to.

Atletico Madrid and Barcelona have both tried to sign the attacker within the last 12 months but couldn't agree a fee.

Atletico were quoted a fee of £55mil last summer, Real Madrid were told 2 years ago they would have to pay his £110mil buyout clause and Manchester City failed with a bid a few years ago also.

So clearly £22mil would be a bargain for him.

7 goals and 11 assists in all competitions last season including a few goals and assists in the Champions League (scored the winner vs Frank Lampard). Gave him a goal contribution of a goal or assist every 131 minutes.

Has played as a winger and striker (often as a number 10 sort of player partnering Maxi Gomez).

In that role he has managed 31 goals and 24 assists in La Liga. Not eye catching goal scoring numbers but still a 1 in 3 record and a goal contribution in one of Europe's top leagues of a goal or assist every 151minutes.

Has shown he can turn up when it matters, scored goals and created goals in the quarter, semi and final of the Copa Del Rey last season.

He has been Spain boss Luis Enrique's go to man in the Euro Qualifiers, scoring 4 goals.

Clearly not a goal hanging number 9 but also clearly a talented and highly rated player.

Only issue and it is a large one, he did something to his knee end of June/ beginning of July. And it was apparently quite a nasty injury, not Izzy Brown nasty but not a few weeks with an ice pack on either.

So fitness may be an issue and given we really need players who can make an impact asap that would be a worry.
Last edited by Cjay on Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:13 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Re: Rodrigo

Post by Fridge »

No doubt this would be a major coup.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Partially torn LCL in his right knee..2-6 weeks and as he did it early July he should be good to go
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

He wouldn't be starting right away anyway, he'll have to earn the spot like anyone else. Looks a good player though and if Bielsa wants him then he could end up being a bargain.
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

Just more conjecture,
billysboots
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by billysboots »

I know we like to see players making an impact but it’s a long season and he would be worth been patient over.
There Is Only One United.
Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Post by Scoobychief »

all rumours going from one player to the next, we need to realise that no doubt bielsa has probably only given orta about 4 or 5 names and 1 of them is white probably the other 2 are likely be ryan kent or harry wilson, orta doing everything he can to get white, need to drop this now and get some quality signings in this week. what happened with the cabral link gone dead because it was rumours from fake news. white i beleive is the no1 target which we have allready over bid for, hopefully the others will be decent and not unknowns and untried players.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

It's just another rumor. File it away with the rest.

According to Phil Hay on Twitter: "When I asked about Rodrigo it wasn’t an outright no – but caveated with the fact that it would be a long shot."
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:01 pm It's just another rumor. File it away with the rest.

According to Phil Hay on Twitter: "When I asked about Rodrigo it wasn’t an outright no – but caveated with the fact that it would be a long shot."
If nothing is in it then Radz needs to stop dropping names in interviews, the journalist who reported it only got it from one place, he interviewed Radz the day before.
Signed

King Cjay

andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Cjay wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:27 pm If nothing is in it then Radz needs to stop dropping names in interviews, the journalist who reported it only got it from one place, he interviewed Radz the day before.
Apparently came from a Sky Sports Italy journalist. Not sure if he got that from Radz or not. But I agree that Raz should keep shut on any transfers. He's supposed to be the one that dropped Cavani too. Maybe it works in his interests to create a little hype. It probably increases the appeal and value of the club to outside investors.

As a fan though it gets a little annoying. I think on the transfers as a whole we just need to chill out. Every rumor spins out of control. Oh for the good old days when I just opened up a newspaper and read that we signed Tony Dorigo yesterday.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:33 pm Apparently came from a Sky Sports Italy journalist. Not sure if he got that from Radz or not. But I agree that Raz should keep shut on any transfers. He's supposed to be the one that dropped Cavani too. Maybe it works in his interests to create a little hype. It probably increases the appeal and value of the club to outside investors.

As a fan though it gets a little annoying. I think on the transfers as a whole we just need to chill out. Every rumor spins out of control. Oh for the good old days when I just opened up a newspaper and read that we signed Tony Dorigo yesterday.
Di Marzio, Radz has done interviews with him before (in April most recently) and Radz was with him on the 19th, pictures of them together in Portugal.

The next day he reports on Rodrigo and then a day later reported that Radz had been speaking to AC Milan about Rafael Leao (€35mil he cost AC Milan). He hasnt just plucked this out of thin air, i can even hear the conversation in my head of Radz telling him "i try very hard to get Leao, i speak to Milan and we will see".

He did, he dropped the Cavani stuff, Ranieri, spoke about really wanting Conte (just after MB arrived) he even started all the QSI stuff by naming them as an interested party who could turn us into Manchester City (since backtracked).

I dont think Radz does it out of malice, i think he just loves the attention and likes to tell people who he knows and brag but in reality nothing has ever came of these Radz soundbites and as a fan its frustrating because it sounds great but the reality is never as exciting.

Bit before my time Dorigo.

I did use teletext :)
Signed

King Cjay

Richard
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @northantsmanvan

Post by Richard »

We might have asked about his availability but when we hear the reply to the second question, his wage, I’d imagine the conversation stops there.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Latest on Moreno

Post by Smudge3920 »

Just read this... anyone with any later news ?

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/08/24/r ... ps-to-22m/
Last edited by YorkshireSquare on Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged topics, we've already got a thread on Rodrigo Moreno
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Seems may owe Radz an apology and this is genuine rather than bragging.

Think anything below £30mil would be great value for Spain's current number 9.

Not worried that he isnt prolific, he has contributed a goal or assist every 168minutes in La Liga (if he does that for us i wont complain). Incidentally Watkins at Championship level has a goal or assist every
176 minutes.
Signed

King Cjay

SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

No sure being reliant on one player to get the goals is a good thing. We need to spread the goals around. Last year we got 77, only Bamford was in double figures. He doesn't need to score 20 goals, so think people are getting too carried away.

For example, Sheff Utd top scorer got 6 goals and they stayed up comfortably.
herefordbornleedsboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by herefordbornleedsboy »

This would be a quality signing imo. Never understood the clamour for Watkins (not very often that a Championship top scorer goes up a division and does well, for every Vardy there is a Gayle or a Mitrovic or a McCormack). This guy looks like a handful and realistically wouldn't be leaving Valencia if it weren't for their financial troubles. Lets get this one over the line and sort out our defence and Pablo replacement. That'd be a decent window.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

SG90 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:01 pm No sure being reliant on one player to get the goals is a good thing. We need to spread the goals around. Last year we got 77, only Bamford was in double figures. He doesn't need to score 20 goals, so think people are getting too carried away.

For example, Sheff Utd top scorer got 6 goals and they stayed up comfortably.
Excellent point SG, we tend to overlook things like that at times in all the hype...Big fan of Bamford's, yes he needs help up front but what he does off the ball is incredible.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Great siging I'll see it when I believe it.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Think he wont fit into the wage structure.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Leeds United Target Left Training Ground Early, Didn’t Train, Whites Working On Deal

Interesting...

https://insidefutbol.com/2020/08/25/lee ... al/469216/