Rodrigo Moreno- Joins Al-Rayyan confirmed

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Re: Rodrigo Moreno selected for the Spain Squad

Post by Mountain »

I think it's really great news.

I thought that he might see Leeds as a bad move, regard it as costing him his chance with Spain, and just start dialling it in and collecting the paycheque.

But this might give him a boost, realise he's still on their radar and he can continue to play his way into national plans while with Leeds.
Notwell
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Notwell »

Knowing the Spanish they wouldn't go to Yorkshire to collect a paycheck. Remember Samu Sáiz, couldn't stand it so he went back. They prefer to stay in the sun if they want a comfortable life. Rodrigo seems a top bloke as well. I think Rodrigo saw the move as a good opportunity due to the manager. His work rate is good, when form comes he will improve.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Can we call him a flop yet?

It never made sense once you got past the excitement of Spanish International, linked with big clubs.

When you looked him up and even read his own opinions it rang alarm bells.

Never been prolific.

Never played as a lone striker.

He wants to play as a second striker (his own words and we dont use them).

It isnt entirely his fault, he never fit the style, he is being shoehorned into midfield, Orta and Bielsa have set him up to fail from the start.

But is he now officially a flop?

Because even when he does play upfront it never seens to work.

He doesnt press (and their is no excuse for that).

He doesnt score enough.

It just hasnt worked.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

He's a false 9 or at worse an old fashioned 10, the AMF experiment is not working. You can see the quality but he offers little in midfield which leaves a massive gap the opposition fills when Forshaw/KP are sitting deep.. If Kalvin is the third CB then it's a one man midfield unless the wing backs play narrower
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Rodrigo Moreno

Post by 1964white »

Was our most expensive signing on the pitch yesterday?
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Cjay wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:00 pm

But is he now officially a flop?
The jury has been out up till now. I’ve always been prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt, one more game in the hope that he will start to justify his £30m fee. But enough is enough, I’m now convinced, what I think I always suspected from watching his 1st few games for us, that he is simply just not good enough.

Yes, I think he has now become officially a flop.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Byebyegeegee wrote: The jury has been out up till now. I’ve always been prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt, one more game in the hope that he will start to justify his £30m fee. But enough is enough, I’m now convinced, what I think I always suspected from watching his 1st few games for us, that he is simply just not good enough.

Yes, I think he has now become officially a flop.
I'll second that !

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

He's not a AMF, or at least he's not an AMF yet. Quality is there but I don't recall him playing much in Bamford's position since Paddy went down... Orta bought a top of the range sports car but Marcelo wants to rebuild him into a people carrier...

Jury will always be out till we see him play the 9 for more than a half every now and then...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

faaip wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:18 pm He's not a AMF, or at least he's not an AMF yet. Quality is there but I don't recall him playing much in Bamford's position since Paddy went down... Orta bought a top of the range sports car but Marcelo wants to rebuild him into a people carrier...

Jury will always be out till we see him play the 9 for more than a half every now and then...
What he said.
A few more players need a decent run in their natural positions, can't be easy laking left back one half then centre forward the next half, then centre half the game after.
For that to happen we would need a team of Paul Madeleys. ( for t' young uns on here, PM laked in every position bar keeper and did it magnificently)
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

mentalcase wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:49 pm What he said.
A few more players need a decent run in their natural positions, can't be easy laking left back one half then centre forward the next half, then centre half the game after.
For that to happen we would need a team of Paul Madeleys. ( for t' young uns on here, PM laked in every position bar keeper and did it magnificently)
The Rolls-Royce :-D
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

1964white wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:11 pm The Rolls-Royce :-D
Exactly, top top player, and so graceful for a big fella.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by VinnysTattoo »

Unfortunately it seems the manager will continue to play him. He’s in the 16 and seems undroppable unless he’s injured.

Can’t work out what his natural position is either.
LevLeeds
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Twitter: @Simonlev99

Post by LevLeeds »

This one's a hard one to judge for me,,,, who did he directly replace in the team? I guess Hernandez right? Who will always be a legend at Leeds, he just didn't get a fair crack in the Prem mainly due to his age. Totally different players, but there's defo glimpse's of quality within him, hes shown it in a few games alright but he just doesn't do enough, consistently. Maybe its the style or playing up top on his own. For me I don't want to class him as a "flop" just yet.... but he needs to up his game or people are gonna get right on his case.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

For me he's not justified his heavy price tag in any way whatsoever. 1 1/3 seasons and we're still debating if he's any good suggests he isn't...not in this team/set-up.

Allrounder
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Allrounder »

BGwhite wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:25 am For me he's not justified his heavy price tag in any way whatsoever. 1 1/3 seasons and we're still debating if he's any good suggests he isn't...not in this team/set-up.

What I find mind-boggling is his inability to find his own players two metres away. He seems like a good happy chap, but he has been poor for Leeds, and he still has not got the pace he had pre-Covid.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Benched for Palace
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:19 pm Benched for Palace
Disappointing when he came on.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Reports in Spain are suggesting Barcelona have reignited their interest in Rodrigo.

Would you sell ?
Signed

King Cjay

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:48 pm Reports in Spain are suggesting Barcelona have reignited their interest in Rodrigo.

Would you sell ?
It would depend on how much they were willing to pay but if it was a reasonable bid then I would just because of the stop start nature of his time with us.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:55 pm It would depend on how much they were willing to pay but if it was a reasonable bid then I would just because of the stop start nature of his time with us.
£12-15million is what they think apparently.

Be tempted tbh.

Given his age and given how its gone here for him.

But that would mean we need 3 players for me rather than 2, not sure our recruitment is organised enough for that in January?
Signed

King Cjay