The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 18th January) - No truth in Nicolas Raskin rumour

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 18th January) - No truth in Nicolas Raskin rumour

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Tuesday 18th January, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

No truth in Belgium U21 rumour

Reports that Leeds are close to signing Belgium U21 International Nicolas Raskin have been rubbished by the Yorkshire Evening Post. Various media outlets including the Sunday Mirror suggested the combative midfielder is close to signing for the Whites in a 6m deal, but according to Graham Smyth from the YEP, there is no truth in the rumour. The 20 year old applies his trade with Standard Liege, representing them on 47 occasions since signing for them in 2019.

A report in a national newspaper has suggested the Whites are set to sign the 20-year-old this week in a £6m deal, but according to his camp no talks have taken place and the suggestion from Leeds is that he’s not one of their top targets for January.

Leeds fans annoyed by Burnley's antics

Annoyed Leeds fans lit up social media last night after it was announced that Burnley had been successful in postponing yet another top flight game. Premier League officials pampered to the Clarets request to adjourn the visit of Watford tonight due to Covid, and an injury crisis. Sean Dyche's team now have five game in hand over some other clubs.

Leeds have been forced to field makeshift line-ups all season due to an unprecedented, and ever-growing injury list, and even had to name eight of their U23's for the bench on Sunday, yet Bielsa refuses to complain.
The Whites are currently 11 points, and five places clear of Burnley.

Leeds plan Ram raid

Leeds and Newcastle Utd are locked in battle over Derby County midfielder Jason Knight. Although only 20, the box to box midfielder has already made over 100 appearances for Wayne Rooney's side. Although the Rams will not want to lose one of their most inspirational players, their financial position does not give them any choice. The administrators at the club will take what they can get, whatever their importance to their survival hopes.

Leeds definitely need to bolster their midfield, and even though Knight is barely out of his teens, he shows the stamina and maturity to make it at the highest level. If he were to come to Elland Road, it is believed he would predominantly become a squad player, but definitely a signing for the future.

Boro star on Leeds radar

Leeds are lining up a bid for Middlebrough right back Djed Spence, according to Sky Sports. The versatile wing back (predominantly right back, but can play left back) is currently on loan at Nottingham Forest, where he caught the eye of many during their 1-0 victory over Arsenal in the FA Cup.

He rose through the junior ranks at Fulham, before signing for Boro in 2018. He is 21 year old and has bags of potential. As Spence has already represented two clubs this season, he wouldn't be able to play for Leeds this season, yet sources at Sky Sports announced that Leeds have made an enquiry over the 10m rated player.

Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 18th January) No truth in Belgium U21 rumour

Post by Chilli D »

I'm not annoyed at Burnley getting another game called off. All it means is they'll be playing three games a week soon and with their ageing squad that does them no favours at all.

If we do sign Spence (no idea if there is any truth in it) does that spell the end for Cody Drameh at Leeds?
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 18th January) No truth in Belgium U21 rumour

Post by Scoobychief »

Thanks Ellandback1 must have been click bait i posted, sorry.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 18th January) - No truth in Nicolas Raskin rumour

Post by HarryofOz »

Why are Leeds fans angry with Burnley

What regulations have Burnley broken?
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 18th January) - No truth in Nicolas Raskin rumour

Post by Byebyegeegee »

If we are trying to compete against Newcastle in monetary terms for Knight’s signature then we may struggle, but if he’s interested in developing himself into a far better footballer then he needs to come to Elland Road. Looks like a real talent by all accounts and I hope we are successful.

I know nothing about DJed Spence but Bill Ayling is into his 30s now and we may be looking at potential replacements.

I think we probably have had grounds to call off several matches this season due to our injury crisis, especially our game last Sunday, but eventually fixture congestion could prove to be an even bigger handicap. Anyway we didn’t try to get the game against West Ham called off and look what happened!
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Let Burnley keep cancelling their games, they won't be able to handle the pressure when trying to catch up later.

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Hopefully we have no more games postponed this season, unless of course there's a covid outbreak (which is what this whole thing was supposed to be about).

Although it would be highly amusing to see our opposition get a game suspended because of their injuries!

I saw this article and completely agreed! If we cancelled our games because of injuries, Gelhardt, Bate and Hjelde wouldn't have got a chance.
https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/arse ... es-1404847
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Can't see Burnley getting anything from the next 6 scheduled games at least.

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

Scoobychief wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:19 am Thanks Ellandback1 must have been click bait i posted, sorry.
None of us really know whats going on behind the scenes pal.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

I said all along I'd rather lake our games before the 'big 4' lot, only liVARpool to replay from that lot, why would we want to lake 3 games a week, thats what will happen, those at the bottom will be moaning they don't have the squad, those at the top will moan when too many games cost them CL or uefa places, also because they always want their own way, hope they don't extend the season for them.

I've seen a fair bit of the lad from derby, he's a cracking talent, but why for the future at Leeds !! He's already played over 100 matches for them, why would he come to us to sit in the reserves !!! If he's good enough, then start him, his development is already above our U23s simply because he's playing regularly in the championship, his agent will be thinking the same, so we won't get him if he's any ambitions to play.
We have a manager too loyal to his 2019 squad which is why Drameh had a fall out and Bate is shattered by the double-subbing, hopefully his parents have told him to sit it out a while longer.

We've had more than enough numpties from boro in the past, why get burnt again ?
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

£10m is extortionate for a Championship full back! Although why did Boro loan him out to Forest if he's that good? Suspect his agent is just throwing our name out for attention.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Regarding the cancelled games, I don't think the season could be extended anyway. There's a World Cup starting in November and I think next season has been brought slightly forward to accommodate it.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

The season should definitely not be extended! If clubs complain, then tough. They've refused to give youth a chance and bottled games.

Although if Liverpool win, they'll need to rearrange another game to midweek for the cup final, plus UCL games already taking up the schedule. Looking forward to Klopp whinging if we win!
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

SG90 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:33 am The season should definitely not be extended! If clubs complain, then tough. They've refused to give youth a chance and bottled games.

Although if Liverpool win, they'll need to rearrange another game to midweek for the cup final, plus UCL games already taking up the schedule. Looking forward to Klopp whinging if we win!
It would be something special to win at anfield, but, if we just derail them a little, a couple of their players pick up a suspension / injury and it costs them later would be great, can't stand klopp after the Pascal debacle.
Also, beating villa would prove to be a massive boost in league positions, lets try finish the season on a + goal average wise, or is that asking too much !!
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
CanuckMightyWhite
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by CanuckMightyWhite »

Raskin fits the profile of MF we will be looking to sign - young, versatile, highly rated, coachable, fills a need in the u23 so there could be some truth to this rumour. Jason Knight fits the same profile and I would be thrilled if either one is the only transfer activity this window.

Also believe we are in for a RB because I think Drameh’s time with us is up. Good riddance as he is self before side and won’t ever get being Leeds. We may have inquired about the Boro loanee at Forest … bet he may not be the only one we inquired about.
CanuckMightyWhite
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by CanuckMightyWhite »

Regarding Burnley cancelled games, Leeds fans couldn’t care less. They (Burnley) are making their bed and will soon have to lie in it, I for one couldn’t care apart from hoping they do a Houdini at the expense of Newcastle and/or Everton.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Burnley playing the Covid card are on a suicide mission.

Better to have the points in the bag rather than games in hand.

As for the transfer market, does anyone know who our targets are, should there be any in the first place?

Going by the tenuous links, I suspect nobody has a clue. When did anyone call our previous signings right?
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Does every young player have to play in the u23s? Can't we just sign a young player for the first team?
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

1964white wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:47 amAs for the transfer market, does anyone know who our targets are, should there be any in the first place?
I believe we're interested in Chinese wonderkid Foo Kin No Wan for the u23s.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

whiteswan wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:30 am Regarding the cancelled games, I don't think the season could be extended anyway. There's a World Cup starting in November and I think next season has been brought slightly forward to accommodate it.
The concern for me would be that by the later stages of the season some clubs will know thier priorities. Take re-arranged matches against Chelsea and Liverpool towards the end of the season and they may have nothing to play for (too far behind City to win the title but comfortably secure in the top 4) and as such field weakened teams so they have their full team available for Champions League matches or FA Cup matches. Or you could face a mid table team such as a Leicester or West Ham that has nothing to play for but rest their players so as to keep them fresh for an FA Cup match.

Hopefully though it won't be of any real concern for us and we won't get dragged down into a relegation dogfight. We will hopefully have a strong end of season with the injury revolving door bringing some fresh players back to replace the newly injured. If we get some of the injuries clearing up and don't get any new ones we can hopefully replicate the great finish to the season that we had last year.