Brenden Aaronson

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Brenden Aaronson

Post by DDB220 »

Aaronson will come good, fast, technically gifted. Needed a season to adjust to the pace physicality and intensity. Same applies to McKennie. If we stay up we have the makings of a good team with the right additions.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Aaronson will come good, fast, technically gifted. Needed a season to adjust to the pace physicality and intensity. Same applies to McKennie. If we stay up we have the makings of a good team with the right additions.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Forest

Good
3 runs
3 passes
1 cross
1 header
1 tackle
1 defensive clearance

Bad
1 lost possession
1 pass

Rating - 5 More huff & puff with no end product to show
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

1964white wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:41 pm Forest

Good
3 runs
3 passes
1 cross
1 header
1 tackle
1 defensive clearance

Bad
1 lost possession
1 pass

Rating - 5 More huff & puff with no end product to show
I think Aaronson has improved a lot in the past couple of games. He's shown much better ability to make incisive runs with the ball. And he's not falling over. He was part of one sublime, quick instinctive move down the left with Sinisterra.

But ... he does still need to offer more. Personally, I think the Forest game would have been perfect for Klich in the same role. He'd have cut them to pieces with his passing. Brendan is the only attacking midfielder we have now. The only other options there are support strikers. He does offer some addition to the midfield. But, like he said, he's improved but still needs to do more.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:16 pm I think Aaronson has improved a lot in the past couple of games. He's shown much better ability to make incisive runs with the ball. And he's not falling over. He was part of one sublime, quick instinctive move down the left with Sinisterra.

But ... he does still need to offer more.
Personally, I think the Forest game would have been perfect for Klich in the same role. He'd have cut them to pieces with his passing. Brendan is the only attacking midfielder we have now. The only other options there are support strikers. He does offer some addition to the midfield. But, like he said, he's improved but still needs to do more.
I reckon Javi has advised Brenden to stay on his feet. Aaronson had some nice touches, but we require so much more from the lad.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Aaronson beats defenders so easily they just foul him. Not sure what you do with that tbf
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:28 pm Aaronson beats defenders so easily they just foul him. Not sure what you do with that tbf
Aaronson didn't go down so much against Arsenal & Forest.

I still believe Javi has had words with him, not to go looking fouls.
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

There was a sequence in the first half where the ball was deflected off our defender. Aaronson picked it up in acres of space. He dribbled forward for about ten yards and then played it wide right to Harrison who had a man right in front of him. What he should have done is continue to drive straight toward the opponents box and wait until the defenders stepped toward him. He could have then played Harrison into space. Those moments are frustrating. I think Brenden's head is swimming about now trying to find his feet in the Premier League and adjusting to different Managers and systems. I still think he will get settled and become a very good player for us.
Football/Futbol/Soccer
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:56 pm I think Brenden's head is swimming about now trying to find his feet in the Premier League and adjusting to different Managers and systems. I still think he will get settled and become a very good player for us.
Has BA played better for other clubs previously than he has for us? Must admit I had not heard of him prior to him being linked to us. What I am asking is has he shown in the past that he can see the passes, play the passes, scores the goals etc - and we just have to get hims confidence back and he can do that or it is that he has always had what he has now, quick feet, able to wriggle out of tight spaces with the ball but has never had an end product of any note. So do we have a player that has to be taught how to do the end product or is that player already in him but just hasn't quite come out of him yet in the Leeds shirt.
King Hennessy
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by King Hennessy »

weasel wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:03 pm Has BA played better for other clubs previously than he has for us? Must admit I had not heard of him prior to him being linked to us. What I am asking is has he shown in the past that he can see the passes, play the passes, scores the goals etc - and we just have to get hims confidence back and he can do that or it is that he has always had what he has now, quick feet, able to wriggle out of tight spaces with the ball but has never had an end product of any note. So do we have a player that has to be taught how to do the end product or is that player already in him but just hasn't quite come out of him yet in the Leeds shirt.
Based off of the below video you can be the judge. No doubt he needs to work on his end product. The premier league is a different animal then what he's used to. But he's still young. He has shown he can score and make the right runs and also lay it off for others. He played well in the champions league and had some good games against Barcelona and the first leg of a champions league knockout against Bayern where they tied 1-1 and Aaronson was at times terrorizing the Bayern defense. That's what put him on the premier league radar where Leeds snagged him first when Bielsa was still in charge. I have no doubt he has the quality in him but he needs to gain his confidence, bulk up and adapt to the premier league. The league has eaten alive, chewed and spat out many great talents from many leagues and nations around the world. It can be a humbling experience, but I believe Aaronson will be good. The lads only 22.

https://youtu.be/ICP_Zxxnmy0
From a far away land that some call "Chiraq"
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

weasel wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:03 pm Has BA played better for other clubs previously than he has for us? Must admit I had not heard of him prior to him being linked to us. What I am asking is has he shown in the past that he can see the passes, play the passes, scores the goals etc - and we just have to get hims confidence back and he can do that or it is that he has always had what he has now, quick feet, able to wriggle out of tight spaces with the ball but has never had an end product of any note. So do we have a player that has to be taught how to do the end product or is that player already in him but just hasn't quite come out of him yet in the Leeds shirt.
The short answer is yes. He has played better for other clubs. But it's important to put that in context. What does that mean? I think it means that he is a guy that will create. He will beat players off the dribble. Draw defenders to him. Might not always get the assist. But he will make the pass that leads to the assist. A guy that will nick 4 or 5 goals a season. And get somewhere between 6-8 assists. That's what I expect of him. He is not going to reach that this season. Hopefully next season he is a year older, with Premier League experience and some confidence. Brenden has always been able to raise his level. The jury is still out....
Football/Futbol/Soccer
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:56 pm There was a sequence in the first half where the ball was deflected off our defender. Aaronson picked it up in acres of space. He dribbled forward for about ten yards and then played it wide right to Harrison who had a man right in front of him. What he should have done is continue to drive straight toward the opponents box and wait until the defenders stepped toward him. He could have then played Harrison into space. Those moments are frustrating.
I’ve mentioned on a couple of my recent player ratings that Brenden’s performances have been quite frustrating and, to me, it’s all about his decision making. At the moment, he seems, very often, to make wrong decisions, for example; in his distribution of the ball, the timing of his passes, holding on to the ball too long or not long enough etc. and loses or gives the ball away.

I have also mentioned that I have faith that he will come good sooner or later and become a very good player. Based on what I’ve seen of him so far, I believe he has, intrinsically, all the attributes and will, with a bit more experience (and, perhaps, a bit more bulk), be a massive boon to this club.
Boo Radley
First Team
First Team

Post by Boo Radley »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:16 pm I think Aaronson has improved a lot in the past couple of games. He's shown much better ability to make incisive runs with the ball. And he's not falling over. He was part of one sublime, quick instinctive move down the left with Sinisterra.

But ... he does still need to offer more. Personally, I think the Forest game would have been perfect for Klich in the same role. He'd have cut them to pieces with his passing. Brendan is the only attacking midfielder we have now. The only other options there are support strikers. He does offer some addition to the midfield. But, like he said, he's improved but still needs to do more.
The crowded nature of the penis ball formation under Marsch meant he was constantly being bowled over, and he isn't physical enough to manage that. I think that damaged his confidence.

Gracia has given him much more space to play in with his focus on width. He has improved considerably because of this. However, as you said John, he must give more. I was delighted to hear Gracia say he was working with Aaronson on scoring goals - can you imagine if we actually had a few goals contributed from midfield!! I can't remember the last one.

Also, I think Aaronson will be on steak and in the gym for the summer. He needs it.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I hope that Aaronsen develops like Jack Harrison has done. He'd done well previously in a lesser league (no offence), MLS compared to Aaronsen in Austria. Harrison then struggled in the championship with Middlesborough and then us. His first season for us was very underwhelming especially getting overshadowed midway through by Jack Clarke (nice to see him finding his feet with Sunderland). He was also completely overshawdowed by the likes of Harry Wilson, on loan at Derby, scoring for fun. Since then though he has improved season upon season. JH did of course have Barry mentoring him which no doubt helped immensely.
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

weasel wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:10 am I hope that Aaronsen develops like Jack Harrison has done. He'd done well previously in a lesser league (no offence), MLS compared to Aaronsen in Austria. Harrison then struggled in the championship with Middlesborough and then us. His first season for us was very underwhelming especially getting overshadowed midway through by Jack Clarke (nice to see him finding his feet with Sunderland). He was also completely overshawdowed by the likes of Harry Wilson, on loan at Derby, scoring for fun. Since then though he has improved season upon season. JH did of course have Barry mentoring him which no doubt helped immensely.
I think that's fair. No offense taken. Aaronson basically went from MLS to Austria which is not even a lateral move in my opinion. But it did give him an opportunity to play Champion's League football. It was a learning process that led him to Leeds in the Primmer League. I'm probably guilty of expecting too much from him too soon. Largely based on those CL performances and a very good run of form during WQ qualifying with USA. But the Premier League can make even very good players look ordinary.

Americans tend to be late bloomers in football. A lack of top class coaching at youth level typically sets them back a bit. (Although Philadelphia Union has a very good academy). I think if we see Brenden continue to develop next season we will have a real good player on our hands.
Football/Futbol/Soccer
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Slim pickings

But wanted to give Aaronson a bit of praise today.

Yes he is still weak and falls over a lot and his passing is erratic.

But he was really involved 1st half.

Created the goal for Bamford.

Had a really clever flick well saved.

It's a small step forward.

Better than most.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Bloody hell his role in our team is to orchestrate our attacks, to dictate our play.

He does neither on a regular basis .

A couple of nice touches are hardly a new dawn.

Slim pickings in a famine.

It's not as if he is being played out of position either.

Overall the most underwhelming signing of the season.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Irish Ian wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:08 pm Bloody hell his role in our team is to orchestrate our attacks, to dictate our play.

He does neither on a regular basis .

A couple of nice touches are hardly a new dawn.

Slim pickings in a famine.

It's not as if he is being played out of position either.

Overall the most underwhelming signing of the season.
Was trying to be positive . . . .

He isn't the player we thought he was.

But he is the player the club knew they were getting.

A runner, a press merchant.

Have to accept that and applaud the occasional moment of creativity.

He was never going to be the creative force the fans hoped, his time in Austria showed that.
Signed

King Cjay

DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Aaronson suffers the same problem that a lot of the team suffers from - CONSISTENCY. This is what separates the top players from the rest. Maintaining a high level week in week out regardless of the opposition. Every player makes mistakes in games, this kid will be a top player, his size and frame are not his downfall it is his decision making, which will improve with time.
A lot of the time when he goes to ground he is trying to buy a free kick - theatrics is part of the game these days.
Rutter’s attempt at trying to win a penalty is a classic case of going down under any form of contact. The fact he actually initiated that contact was awful to watch and pathetic in isolation but this is part of the modern game. I would have liked to have seen him carded for that. The same applies to all players who effectively cheat, but it is too ingrained within the game now to try and stamp it out.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Bielsa had Tyler Roberts

Marsch had Sam Greenwood

Gracia has Brenden Aaronson.

Why do we keep having managers getting attached to crap players?

Used him in every game (1 of 5 players who he's done that with).

He started brightly early season tbf, he was even up in the top 10 creatively in the league.

But those days are long gone.

He provides absolutely nothing.

Dribble with ball
Run into opposition player
Throw self to ground
Moan

Repeat

Aaronson has more minutes under Gracia than Gnonto, Summerville, Rutter.

Now they all may not be perfect (especially Rytter).

But why does Aaronson get unlimited chances?

He doesn't do anything!!!!!

Cant even use age as an excuse, he's older than Gnonto and Summerville
Signed

King Cjay