Roberts is...

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Roberts is...

Post by Cjay »

Certainly drives the site traffic does Tyler :)

He was poor yesterday but wouldn't say he was entirely to blame at all.

He contributed but not alone in that.

One piece of information I do have is this season Raphinha and James are top 2 for shots taken.

Roberts is third and has the worst shot to goal ratio in the squad (30 shots per goal).

That is for an attacking player pathetic and must improve.

Either his technique or his judgment.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Roberts is dog s**t

Post by Cjay »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:26 pm Could we all stop calling each other morons?
M u s t

R e s I s t

T h e

U r g e e e e e e e e e

Moron
Signed

King Cjay

CanuckMightyWhite
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by CanuckMightyWhite »

As Joffy was coming back from an injury, Bielsa probably wanted him for no more than a 10-15 minute cameo.
Bad game, which on another day we could have easily won. Let’s move onto Everton now.
Aaronson and Bate will soon take over from both Roberts and Rodrigo, maybe even as early as next season.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Damn missed all the fun in this thread.

I think Roberts came on yesterday with instructions to unbalance ( personally I am getting bored of hearing this word, what does it actually mean ? …… attack effectively.) surely there is a better translation, this is used too often and explains nothing.

It was clear in the passage of play leading up to where he lost possession his only thought was to try and set Harrison free, completely blind / oblivious to the reality that trying to make a pass that wasn’t on could lead to squandered possession and potential danger. It is this lack of intelligence on the pitch, which I see on a more than regular basis that holds him back.
If he was going to overcome this and learn through experience it would have happened by now. The odd glimmer of light is not enough to justify his constant selection as either a starter or sub.
I don’t blame him for the goal, too many additional variables after he lost possession but his general clumsiness and running around like a 10 year old having had too much pop helped Newcastle assert their authority for the last 15 mins.

Overall the manner of Bielsa’s subs was the reason we lost.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.skyspo ... -loan-move

Bit of an insight to how Bielsa feels about Roberts.

Compared him to Bamford.

I dont remember a recent performance that was one of the best TyRo has played?

Starting to think MB would see it as a failure of his if Roberts doesn't make it and knows Roberts is very unpopular with the fans so is doubling down.
Signed

King Cjay

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

DDB220 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:47 am Damn missed all the fun in this thread.

I think Roberts came on yesterday with instructions to unbalance ( personally I am getting bored of hearing this word, what does it actually mean ? …… attack effectively.) surely there is a better translation, this is used too often and explains nothing.

It was clear in the passage of play leading up to where he lost possession his only thought was to try and set Harrison free, completely blind / oblivious to the reality that trying to make a pass that wasn’t on could lead to squandered possession and potential danger. It is this lack of intelligence on the pitch, which I see on a more than regular basis that holds him back.
If he was going to overcome this and learn through experience it would have happened by now. The odd glimmer of light is not enough to justify his constant selection as either a starter or sub.
I don’t blame him for the goal, too many additional variables after he lost possession but his general clumsiness and running around like a 10 year old having had too much pop helped Newcastle assert their authority for the last 15 mins.

Overall the manner of Bielsa’s subs was the reason we lost.
The last 20 minutes were awful. I'm a fan who stays in the ground until the Leeds players take their plaudits from our fans. I said to my mates around me Newcastle are going to nick this, the writing was on the wall as we were so disjointed.

You could feel the concern as soon as Roberts came on, like many of our players he tries to do too much rather than playing a simple ball, then Llorente clatters into their attacker (may have been St Maximin), the wall was poor as it usually is making it easy for Shelvey to curl ball round only for our young talented keeper to sadly mess up!
We don't lose to screamers in general, the goals we concede are usually messy are created byour own making in our error littered game.

Then we immediately decide to throw Gelhardt on through sheer desperation I guess, as we weren't prepared to send on our best opportunist kid at 0-0 when the game was crying out for something different long before the barcode's goal. It took six whole minutes to get Joffy on as we deliberated with his substitution because Newcastle had a couple of corners & by that time we couldn't retain the ball or clear our lines, that's how feeble we had become after dominating the game. So our kid had fifteen minutes to rescue us yet again, you know at least several of those final minutes are going to be wasted by the opposition ffs., sorry to be critical but this type of action is not fair on our young starlet.
Also by the time Joe came on, Raphinha & Harrison our creative threat had run themselves ragged for 80 minutes & have little left in the tank to give!

Sorry Marcelo, I didn't understand your thinking one bit on what was a miserable afternoon for our fans. :(

At least the Toon army had a good day.
Anderson
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Anderson »

I’m glad Leon you mentioned the toon army,one game in the Revie days which sticks in my mind was against Newcastle at Elland road when the toons filled the scratching shed from end to end and they never stopped singing for the whole match.They were probably getting thrashed as well.Ithink they are great supporters and would be sad if they were relegated again.By the way why was it called the scratching shed.Hector keep out of this.
Anderson
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Anderson »

:)
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Where's a hector when you need one......
hector

Post by hector »

Anderson wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:07 pm I’m glad Leon you mentioned the toon army,one game in the Revie days which sticks in my mind was against Newcastle at Elland road when the toons filled the scratching shed from end to end and they never stopped singing for the whole match.They were probably getting thrashed as well.Ithink they are great supporters and would be sad if they were relegated again.By the way why was it called the scratching shed.Hector keep out of this.
:? :?

what have I done??? :angel: :angel:
hector

Post by hector »

whiteswan wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:49 pm Where's a hector when you need one......
Having some soup...

To your recipe.... :) :)
pic_020_clean_790.jpg
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

hector wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:49 pm Having some soup...

To your recipe.... :) :)

pic_020_clean_790.jpg
Cheeky! :)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Anderson wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:07 pm I’m glad Leon you mentioned the toon army,one game in the Revie days which sticks in my mind was against Newcastle at Elland road when the toons filled the scratching shed from end to end and they never stopped singing for the whole match.They were probably getting thrashed as well.Ithink they are great supporters and would be sad if they were relegated again.By the way why was it called the scratching shed.Hector keep out of this.
Welcome to MOT Anderson :tup:

I'm unsure why it was named 'The Scratching Shed', I know it was built around 100 years ago.

Btw, do I know you personally?
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

1964white wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:33 pm Welcome to MOT Anderson :tup:

I'm unsure why it was named 'The Scratching Shed', I know it was built around 100 years ago.

It was the 'scratching shed' when I started going in 68, an old barrelled roof shed, the Gelderd end was the Kop, where I first went, it had no roof on, named after the Spion kop , a mound of hill during the 2nd Boer war, a lot of home ends were called the 'Kop' back in t' day, liverpools still is.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

mentalcase wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:16 pm It was the 'scratching shed' when I started going in 68, an old barrelled roof shed, the Gelderd end was the Kop, where I first went, it had no roof on, named after the Spion kop , a mound of hill during the 2nd Boer war, a lot of home ends were called the 'Kop' back in t' day, liverpools still is.
I still call the North Stand the 'Kop'
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

1964white wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:29 pm I still call the North Stand the 'Kop'
Same as, Revie stand, north stand, not for me, either Kop or Gelderd .
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

I’ve mentioned on this forum before that one of my vivid memories from the early 70s was when a section The Toon Army mostly clad in black and white kilts (which amused me at the time) managed to infiltrate the Gelderd End before the game, I think they were moved eventually but it was quite a shock to turn up and see hoards of them chanting, jeering and hanging over the edge of the stand.

I’ve been to St James’ Park too in the home end (not against Leeds I hasten to add) and I can’t deny that it was a good atmosphere, probably second only to the atmosphere created at Elland Road when packed.

So, I too have a soft spot for Newcastle but I wouldn’t worry Anderson, even if they go down this season they’ll be straight back up next year, and with the mega-riches now at their disposal they’ll overtake us and be challenging Man City for top spot.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

mentalcase wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:42 pm Same as, Revie stand, north stand, not for me, either Kop or Gelderd .
"We are the Gelderd boot boys"

That song has changed over the years.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

1964white wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:33 pm Welcome to MOT Anderson :tup:

Oldest stand in the ground, orginally biuld around 1904/1905 and replaced in 1920 by what was to become 'The Scratching Shed'. I'd always thought it got that name because the barrell roof made it looked like a pig shed.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:46 pm Oldest stand in the ground, orginally biuld around 1904/1905 and replaced in 1920 by what was to become 'The Scratching Shed'. I'd always thought it got that name because the barrell roof made it looked like a pig shed.
I assumed that might be the reason, unsure though :duno: